Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

MGS Golf Ball Test

Golf Ball Test Results...Pre-Reveal  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Which brand do you think performs the best in MGS Golf Ball Test to be revealed Monday? (I have no idea what balls are being tested but this is my best bet)

• Bridgestone (e6, e12, Tour B X, Tour B XS, Tour B RX)
    • Callaway (Chrome Soft, Chrome Soft X, ERC Soft)
    • Cut (Red, Green, Blue, Black, Brown, Mauve, Burgundy, Candy Apple, Cyan, Golden Rod)
    • Maxfli (Tour, Tour x)
    • Mizuno (RB Tour, RB Tour X)
    • Snell (MTB Red, MTB Black, MTB X)
    • Srixon (Q Star, Z Star, Z Star XV, LGBTQ Star)
    • TaylorMade (TP5, TP5x, Project (a), Project (s))
    • Titleist (Pro V1, Pro V1x, AVX, Tour Soft, Velocity, DT TruSoft)
    • Vice (Drive, Pro, Pro Plus, Pro Soft)
    • Volvik (I don't even know if they're in the test)
    • Wilson (DUO Soft, DUO U, FG Tour)
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/29/2019 at 10:00 PM

Some of the results i see being posted are hilarious. The science just doesn't add up but whatever works I guess.  Ill be testing the Tour BX and the TP5 line this week on the course.  I previously used chromesoft.  I started putting with these models and here is what I found on the putting green

1- the chromesoft is a dead feel, just like the tour BXs to me. Makes you want to hit it harder.

2- The TP5 feels "harder" than the chromesoft and BXs. the "feel" is more "comforting" and allow me to concentrate on the putt rather than how much effort I feel I need to put into the putt.

3- The TP5x is just as good, slightly harder "feeling". the sound is slightly "clickier" (if that's a word) then the TP5 but not enough to worry about.

Both TP5 balls feel better than the chrome soft and BXs on the green.

Edited by Tsecor

Golf is cool

Aaron over at Hosel Rocket has a nice vid where he discusses the test results, what it meant for his own game, what one can do with all the testing data, etc. It's a good watch, his channel is underrated for the average "non-Internet distance" golfer 🙂

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

5 hours ago, Tsecor said:

Some of the results i see being posted are hilarious. The science just doesn't add up but whatever works I guess.  Ill be testing the Tour BX and the TP5 line this week on the course.  I previously used chromesoft.  I started putting with these models and here is what I found on the putting green

1- the chromesoft is a dead feel, just like the tour BXs to me. Makes you want to hit it harder.

2- The TP5 feels "harder" than the chromesoft and BXs. the "feel" is more "comforting" and allow me to concentrate on the putt rather than how much effort I feel I need to put into the putt.

3- The TP5x is just as good, slightly harder "feeling". the sound is slightly "clickier" (if that's a word) then the TP5 but not enough to worry about.

Both TP5 balls feel better than the chrome soft and BXs on the green.

Is your putter milled are does it have a soft insert? I found that the soft inserts were the issue. The ball would feel too soft off the face of the putter. I switched to a firm milled face putter and haven’t had the issue anymore. Yes the Chrome soft feel soft on the putter. I did not notice a huge drop in distance like others have, maybe 8-10 yards or so, but 8-10 yards is the difference between 8 iron or 9 iron. Or 5 iron or 6 iron. I like the Chrome soft and still have some to use. I used the spreadsheet the TXgolfjunkie made up and it said I should use the BXS and I really like this ball. It’s a bit longer, iron distances are comparable,  I am learning the reaction around the green, and it feels good off the putter. I’ve used it for a few rounds now, and it’s going good so far. 

Finding a ball that checks all the boxes feels good. 

Edited by Kor.A.Door

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

1 hour ago, Kor.A.Door said:

Is your putter milled are does it have a soft insert? I found that the soft inserts were the issue. The ball would feel too soft off the face of the putter. I switched to a firm milled face putter and haven’t had the issue anymore. Yes the Chrome soft feel soft on the putter. I did not notice a huge drop in distance like others have, maybe 8-10 yards or so, but 8-10 yards is the difference between 8 iron or 9 iron. Or 5 iron or 6 iron. I like the Chrome soft and still have some to use. I used the spreadsheet the TXgolfjunkie made up and it said I should use the BXS and I really like this ball. It’s a bit longer, iron distances are comparable,  I am learning the reaction around the green, and it feels good off the putter. I’ve used it for a few rounds now, and it’s going good so far. 

Finding a ball that checks all the boxes feels good. 

I am using a milled putter right now. The Ping Vault 2.0 Anser. I used this putter to test all the ball mentioned. A day prior, I used a Wilson 8802 JUST with the BXs and Chromesoft and they felt identical with this putter.  I like the chromesoft as well and used it last year but now I'm going to try all the other balls to really hone it what my gamer will be.

Aesthetically, I like the TP5 series but we will see how they hold up when I play tonight and tomorrow.  I'm expecting big things from the Tour BX off the tee and great things with the TP5 with my 7 iron and below.     

Golf is cool

1 hour ago, Tsecor said:

I am using a milled putter right now. The Ping Vault 2.0 Anser. I used this putter to test all the ball mentioned. A day prior, I used a Wilson 8802 JUST with the BXs and Chromesoft and they felt identical with this putter.  I like the chromesoft as well and used it last year but now I'm going to try all the other balls to really hone it what my gamer will be.

Aesthetically, I like the TP5 series but we will see how they hold up when I play tonight and tomorrow.  I'm expecting big things from the Tour BX off the tee and great things with the TP5 with my 7 iron and below.     

I actually have a Ping Vault Dale putter, I use a Betti BB1 and the face feels pretty firm so it has helped with getting the ball to the hole. A “soft” ball should theoretically feel soft with a putter. I think that no matter what ball a person uses, there is a certain amount of familiarity that a person will have by using the same ball. Whether it’s ProV, chrome soft, BX, TP5. It doesn’t matter, being familiar with the ball you use is a big factor. I think that’s why even the test results state, pick a ball and use it. Your game will be better for it. Good luck in your testing and hopefully you find the one you are looking for. 

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

On 5/17/2019 at 7:09 PM, Pug said:

I appreciate the input. The deciding factor for me was the dispersion data, especially on the drive. Way too many drives wound up in the deep rough, and no one would ever describe my drives as long. The drop in score had a lot to do with more second shots coming from the short grass.

Weather here has been wet for weeks, but I managed to get in another round this weekend. My score with the B X went up badly on the back nine. A couple of factors contributed- very slow pace of play made establishing a rhythm to the game was impossible. Fatigue in my artificial hip effected balance when hitting from fairways. I put a mini driver in play on fairways when distance dictated. Made good contact a couple of times but overall that went badly. Finally, my putting fell apart particularly on the back. Having said that I hit 12/14 fairways. The most commonly heard comment from my buddies after my drives was: “Another dead straight drive.”

These guys have watched me fight a slice for the first 4 years we’ve played together only to have it change to a vicious hook last year. From putting it into the trees on the right I started putting it into the trees on the left. “Good to see your game is evolving,” was the dig at the time.

Trying to keep it in the short grass is why I decided to give it a shot and so far I am quite pleased with the results. 

6 hours ago, russtopherb said:

Aaron over at Hosel Rocket has a nice vid where he discusses the test results, what it meant for his own game, what one can do with all the testing data, etc. It's a good watch, his channel is underrated for the average "non-Internet distance" golfer 🙂

What is Hosel Rocket?

3 hours ago, Kor.A.Door said:

I actually have a Ping Vault Dale putter, I use a Betti BB1 and the face feels pretty firm so it has helped with getting the ball to the hole. A “soft” ball should theoretically feel soft with a putter. I think that no matter what ball a person uses, there is a certain amount of familiarity that a person will have by using the same ball. Whether it’s ProV, chrome soft, BX, TP5. It doesn’t matter, being familiar with the ball you use is a big factor. I think that’s why even the test results state, pick a ball and use it. Your game will be better for it. Good luck in your testing and hopefully you find the one you are looking for. 

Wow. I am jelly of the betti.  I want a betti so bad but a custom one is way to expensive for me.   

The goal is to find a ball i love and use it every round because i agree with what u said. Hopefully ill find that ball this week.   

Thanks!

Golf is cool

I still am having good results with the MTB-X.  A good 5-7 yards longer than the ProV1x off the tee with lower spin.  That said, the harder feel is starting to wear on me (might be that the weather has gotten cool again - it was 47 last night when I teed off and 40 when I finished).

The ball test prompted me to stick with a tour ball rather than the cheap 2 piece balls I usually play. I’ve been playing the Z Star and really struggled with it in the wind. Not so much cross winds but I am coming up way short into the wind and way long with the wind. Like abnormally short or long. Is this common with spinnier balls?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

1 hour ago, WalterS said:

What is Hosel Rocket?

My iron game at the moment. Jokes aside, it's a YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKSiwkrPulzIXuK951j5McA

14 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

The ball test prompted me to stick with a tour ball rather than the cheap 2 piece balls I usually play. I’ve been playing the Z Star and really struggled with it in the wind. Not so much cross winds but I am coming up way short into the wind and way long with the wind. Like abnormally short or long. Is this common with spinnier balls?

Which year Z-star are you playing? I had the same issue with the '17 Z-star into the wind.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Which year Z-star are you playing? I had the same issue with the '17 Z-star into the wind.

It is last years Z Star so 2018.

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

14 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

It is last years Z Star so 2018.

That would be the 2017 version as well. Srixon is on two year cycles 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

That would be the 2017 version as well. Srixon is on two year cycles 

Damn, picked up 2 dozen. Is this a known issue with this ball or user dependent?

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

50 minutes ago, yungkory said:

My iron game at the moment. Jokes aside, it's a YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKSiwkrPulzIXuK951j5McA

You beat me to it 😉

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

4 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

Damn, picked up 2 dozen. Is this a known issue with this ball or user dependent?

User dependent I'm sure, it's still a great ball that I'm sure would fit a lot of golfers! Try the 2019 out and see if you notice a difference :). If the MTB-X doesn't beat out the TP5x, I'm going to pickup a dozen of the '19 Z-Star and XV to test myself as well.

User dependent I'm sure, it's still a great ball that I'm sure would fit a lot of golfers! Try the 2019 out and see if you notice a difference :). If the MTB-X doesn't beat out the TP5x, I'm going to pickup a dozen of the '19 Z-Star and XV to test myself as well.

I played the Z Star quite a bit last year without any issues but it has been unusually windy every round I’ve played these balls this year. I was hitting the Duo Pro much better so may give them a go again tomorrow when I play.

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

55 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

That’s on the user mostly but some balls perform better in wind than others. I haven’t played z stars since 2015 version. I prefer Prov1/1x, tp5/5x and oncore 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Just picked up some Bridgestone tour BX and TP5X and look forward to testing these against the pro v 1 this week in real life on course amateur golfer testing.
I was not in love with the BXs. Thought it ballooned a bit in the wind and felt too soft off the putter. It made me want to hit the putter harder and I blew it by the hole a few times.
We'll see how the higher compression balls play
I thought the BX and the BXs played very similar with only the feel being different BX seemed just a bit longer off the driver. At times if I sosnt k how which ball I was getting I couldnt tell a difference. Both balls near the green are stellar.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I ordered a dozen MTB-X as I'm doing ball testing for myself with ProV1/X, Z-Stars, TP5/X, Mizuno RB/X, and now these. These were very comparable to the ProV1 X but the yellow coloring is weird. It's not a chartreuse color like you get with the rest of the balls out there. It's a flat yellow like some of the Volviks are. If I decide to play white balls this year they'll be in the mix, but the yellows are out for me as they just look strange.

10 hours ago, b505jcm said:

I ordered a dozen MTB-X as I'm doing ball testing for myself with ProV1/X, Z-Stars, TP5/X, Mizuno RB/X, and now these. These were very comparable to the ProV1 X but the yellow coloring is weird. It's not a chartreuse color like you get with the rest of the balls out there. It's a flat yellow like some of the Volviks are. If I decide to play white balls this year they'll be in the mix, but the yellows are out for me as they just look strange.

Let me know if you want to trade a sleeve or two if you don't like the yellow

:ping-small:  G 10.5* & 14*  R shaft woods

:ping-small:  Eye 2  3-9. R steel shafts

:ping-small:  Zing2 putter

:titelist-small:  Volkey 48*, 52* & 56* wedges

Played the MTB-X today after work. Only 9 holes but my early thoughts are that this ball is very comparible to TP5x for me, with a little more greenside spin. It feels longer for me than MTB Black was, which is great. Not too many full shots into greens today because the muni is a little short, but on the 150y par 3 I got a nice high, hop and stop with my 8i:

IMG_20190522_163628.jpeg

This could be my new gamer if it ends up being a more affordable TP5x, which is what it feels like it could be. Interesting, because on the Snell website they say the MTB Black is more comparable to TP5x. The ball held up pretty nicely aside from a small paint chip where the yellow seems to have completely disappeared. I think it was from the ball hitting the cart path after I hit the mango tree, so not really a durability issue more than it is a ME issue.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

On 5/22/2019 at 11:05 AM, Wedgie said:

Probably user dependant, I play in a very windy area and the Z Star performs well for me in the wind, better than most other options I've tried (2017 model)

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

MGS has certainly ruffled a few feathers in the industry .... BUT

1. The TXG testing on the Snell MTB-X and Chrome Soft X comes with very different conclusions

2. The TXG testing on Srixon Z Star XV and Wilson Duo also comes with different conclusions. TXG is a respected entity

3. When I add the Chrome Soft to the raw data of example #2 above, based on the MGS data it outperforms both balls at 85 mph (Irons), and the line from Titlkeist for years has been -- start from the green and work backwards towards driver performance. Yet this Srixon ZV is termed as a Very Good Ball and the Callaway as Fair. 

4. We know that Callaway provides their tour staff with a different ball; but so do Titleist (ask Justin Thomas etc) and I would be surprised if TM don't do the same for Rory et al. 

5. There have been some unbelievable claims in the Forum over driver distance gains by change of ball -  (look up the meaning of the word unbelievable in the directory..). Simply not possible. A recent President would be proud of those claims... 

6. I think the summary of the report is too biased towards Driver at Higher speed with not enough emphasis on overall scoring performance... as an example, the value "feel" is underestimated - some would view Pro V1x and Bridgestone B X as "clicky off the putter face and discount them. (NB: Drive for show; Putt for dough)  I appreciate "feel" cannot be measured - it cannot be captured in raw data format and like love, is very much in the eyes of the beholder. 

7. In summary, a very interesting start to the subject matter - congrats to MGS , but do use stronger caveats to the conclusions.. PS I immediately went out to buy the Chrome Soft Triple Strip - if it is good eenough for Phil, it works for me...

45 minutes ago, derh50 said:

MGS has certainly ruffled a few feathers in the industry .... BUT

1. The TXG testing on the Snell MTB-X and Chrome Soft X comes with very different conclusions

2. The TXG testing on Srixon Z Star XV and Wilson Duo also comes with different conclusions. TXG is a respected entity

3. When I add the Chrome Soft to the raw data of example #2 above, based on the MGS data it outperforms both balls at 85 mph (Irons), and the line from Titlkeist for years has been -- start from the green and work backwards towards driver performance. Yet this Srixon ZV is termed as a Very Good Ball and the Callaway as Fair. 

4. We know that Callaway provides their tour staff with a different ball; but so do Titleist (ask Justin Thomas etc) and I would be surprised if TM don't do the same for Rory et al. 

5. There have been some unbelievable claims in the Forum over driver distance gains by change of ball -  (look up the meaning of the word unbelievable in the directory..). Simply not possible. A recent President would be proud of those claims... 

6. I think the summary of the report is too biased towards Driver at Higher speed with not enough emphasis on overall scoring performance... as an example, the value "feel" is underestimated - some would view Pro V1x and Bridgestone B X as "clicky off the putter face and discount them. (NB: Drive for show; Putt for dough)  I appreciate "feel" cannot be measured - it cannot be captured in raw data format and like love, is very much in the eyes of the beholder. 

7. In summary, a very interesting start to the subject matter - congrats to MGS , but do use stronger caveats to the conclusions.. PS I immediately went out to buy the Chrome Soft Triple Strip - if it is good eenough for Phil, it works for me...

1. TXG and MGS performed two different tests in two different environments and with different monitors.

2. Same as #1

4. Players from those brands also use the retail ball where Callaway has zero using retail ball prior to the triple track which iirc hasn’t been confirmed to be the same as the tour ball Callaway staff use.  

5. It’s not really unbelievable just as those who can yardage from a properly fit driver. 

18 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Players from those brands also use the retail ball where Callaway has zero using retail ball prior to the triple track which iirc hasn’t been confirmed to be the same as the tour ball Callaway staff use.   

I think the Callaway faithful are choosing to ignore that aspect of the MGS testing or didn't actually read the article and don't even know Callaway staffers aren't playing the retail ball.

6 hours ago, yungkory said:

I think it was from the ball hitting the cart path after I hit the mango tree,

Wish I lived somewhere that I even had a chance of hitting a mango tree! 😁

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Haven't updated my progress with the MTB-X in a while.  My MTB-X package arrived May 1st and I have played about 6 days a week with it ever since.  I would have expected to see some anomaly by now if there were going to be one.  My conclusion is, the MTB-X is in my bag indefinitely!

26 minutes ago, sixcat said:

I think the Callaway faithful are choosing to ignore that aspect of the MGS testing or didn't actually read the article and don't even know Callaway staffers aren't playing the retail ball.

It’s like they missed the fact there’s a dozen balls or so in the same categories as the cs and csx. The only brand or “fans” complaining are the Callaway ones. 

3 hours ago, Peaksy68 said:

Probably user dependant, I play in a very windy area and the Z Star performs well for me in the wind, better than most other options I've tried (2017 model)

I played the Z Star yesterday in the wind and had no issues.  But I was back at my home course so maybe is was a one off and a lack of familiarity with the course I had issues. 

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right