Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

MGS Golf Ball Test

Golf Ball Test Results...Pre-Reveal  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Which brand do you think performs the best in MGS Golf Ball Test to be revealed Monday? (I have no idea what balls are being tested but this is my best bet)

• Bridgestone (e6, e12, Tour B X, Tour B XS, Tour B RX)
    • Callaway (Chrome Soft, Chrome Soft X, ERC Soft)
    • Cut (Red, Green, Blue, Black, Brown, Mauve, Burgundy, Candy Apple, Cyan, Golden Rod)
    • Maxfli (Tour, Tour x)
    • Mizuno (RB Tour, RB Tour X)
    • Snell (MTB Red, MTB Black, MTB X)
    • Srixon (Q Star, Z Star, Z Star XV, LGBTQ Star)
    • TaylorMade (TP5, TP5x, Project (a), Project (s))
    • Titleist (Pro V1, Pro V1x, AVX, Tour Soft, Velocity, DT TruSoft)
    • Vice (Drive, Pro, Pro Plus, Pro Soft)
    • Volvik (I don't even know if they're in the test)
    • Wilson (DUO Soft, DUO U, FG Tour)
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/29/2019 at 10:00 PM

Here is my follow up on the Tour BX / TP5

Let me start by saying I typically play to a 10-12 HDCP. I use a Titleist 910 driver, 712 CB irons and a Ping Vault 2.0 milled putter.  I play a HZRDOUS Yellow shaft (63g) in the driver and S400 shafts in my irons.  I am not exactly sure how fast I swing my driver but I believe it to be 95 or so. My distance off the tee is typically 270-275 with some being longer or shorter depending on my strike. So my best tee shot is 280 -285 with roll.

I tested the BXs already and didn't love it. It felt too soft, especially off the putter face for me and while it flew ok, I just felt like I was hitting a very soft ball...too soft off the driver and putter. Mid irons I was ok with the feel.

Anyway, the first driver with the BX felt amazing. It was clear this was a higher compression ball as it felt harder than the BXs and sounded different but it flew longer than I'm used to. It felt like it "exploded" off the driver face. On a 340 yard hole, I had a very soft wedge to the green, so I measured it at 290. a 1/4 wedge to the green. I initially thought my mind was playing tricks on me because of all that I read and all that I expected.

Hole 2. - Hit the driver flush and the ball once again felt like it exploded off the club face. Was a great feel and once again the ball with roll went a little over 290. I had a 7 iron to the green and took a nice smooth swing but came up short. I was a bit surprised given how well the driver flew. I had to chip up and scramble for a par. The chip felt ok but the ball wasn't as responsive as I thought it would be. It was like I was expecting the ball to jump off the wedge much like the driver, dumb I know.  The ball off the putter feels great. Just hard or clicky enough without feeling like a rock.

I played many more holes with the BX and loved it on every club except the 8I-wedges......it was like the slower swing speed didn't get all of the balls potential out of it....im not sure how to explain that. but its like the harder you swing, the better the ball becomes.  The only way I can describe it is you get whatever you put into it.  The ball is as "honest" as it gets I guess.   I picked up roughly 7 yards on my tee shots with the Tour BX over last years balls of chromesoft, lethal and wilson Duo. For me, that felt like 20+ yards. The feel off the driver was unique to me. every time I hit it, it felt like it jumped off the driver face and felt good off the long irons. I needed to adjust on the short irons though, but that's not a real negative. I can work with that

The back 9 I switched to the TP5. This ball is aesthetically pleasing to the eye, if that matters to anyone. it looks "sleek" in comparison to the BX with its double dimple. My first drive seemed to launch lower than the BX and it seemed to have a more piercing trajectory. Felt good but not as explosive. The ball flew pretty far, but definitely short of the BX. Not by a huge margin at all but enough to be noticeable. 5 yards is a lot in golf, especially when you outdrive your buddy.  Where this ball shined was in the mid irons. I hit a 5 iron 190 into a green and the ball didn't roll out like I'm used to. It checked up nicely, just enough to stop it where I hoped. A lot of times I will hit a good shot and the ball will hit the green and bounce or roll to the back or off, but on multiple occasions I was able to hold the green. Not something I'm used to every day :).   The ball felt great off the putter and the wedges around the green. Much like the BX off the driver, what I put into the TP5 around the green is exactly what I got out of it.  So for the back 9, the TP5 off the tee was ok. Nothing great or new. It didn't "wow" me like the Tour BX. But 5I-wedge it performed well. I liked the feel and the performance.  I have heard people say this ball 'pierces' through the wind and I kind of noticed the flight of this ball fit that description. It didn't go any further but it seemed pretty stable I guess. 

I am testing the TP5X  next and hopefully this performs as expected.

Right now as I search for a new ball, if some scientist could mash up the Tour BX and the TP5, I would have a winner.

For those of you who identify the driver as your favorite club, I would try the Tour BX.....I think out of every ball ive ever tried, this one made me sit up and take notice of the change in length and feel . 7 yards or so isn't a lot, but the feel was amazing. It gave me confidence as well. Knowing I was going to hit an explosive feeling ball did something to my confidence on the tee.

Golf is cool

Just a heads up to those interested in picking some of the 2017 models:

Dick's has a sale today where you can get 2 dozen for $50 of Z-Star/XV, 1 dozen TP5/x for $30 each, and 1 dozen ProV1/x for $40 each. FREE SHIPPING.

Figured some might want to stock up on some quality balls for cheap!

-CG

In the Bag:

Driver: :callaway-small: Callaway Rogue 9° (Project X Hazardous Yellow 76g 6.0 Stiff Flex)

3 Wood: :callaway-small: Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15° (Stiff Flex)

Hybrid: :titelist-small: Titleist 816 H2 19° (Fujikura Motore Tour Spec Stiff Flex)

Irons: :ping-small: Ping i E1 4i-UW (Ping CFS Stiff Flex)

Wedges: :mizuno-small: Mizuno T7 54°/9°; :cleveland-small: Cleveland RTX 3 58°/8°

Putter: :odyssey-small: Odyssey O-Works Versa #7 (33", Super Stroke Pistol GT)

Ball: :srixon-small: Srixon Z-Star

Other: image.png.1a836b4c89a21e13ee937550f4016dae.png Shot Scope V2 

I liked the Truvis markings, but an playing a Tour BXS... so I 3D printed a ball marker. It works great!
20190524_160650.thumb.jpg.7be4ee6187b8868c8d96e04b2e17ed10.jpg
That's awesome!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

So I played the last few rounds with the BXS. I lost one, so instead of putting anew on into play I grabbed one of my Chrome softs. What I found was that the Chrome soft is a good ball. I do notice some distance loss on the driver compared to the BXS, 5-10 yards, which isn’t much. The irons were good as well, and I putted extremely well with it. I really think there is something with the Truvis technology that works for my brain. I have no idea what it is. I am looking forward to VBPutts sending me one of his 3D print marking tools. Overall I like the BXS better than the Chrome softs, but the Truvis just works for me. 

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Interesting “ranking” here. Look at #1!
IMG_9241.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Played the BXS this weekend and I have a different take on this now.....its a great ball. Once you get used to the "softness" of the sound/feel, its probably the best overall ball ive used from tee to green.  It took a bit to get used to the feel off the driver because the BX felt so different and explosive. The BXS flies just as far, within a few yards but "feels" better on and around the green. Its weird how different these 2 balls feel. just gotta settle on one and play it.

Golf is cool

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know how to upload an excel file? I created a spreadsheet that interpolates the data based on your swing using linear algebra. I'd like to be able to upload said file.

Thanks!

Hcp: 15

Swing speed: 125-130

2017 M1 440 9.5° (7.5°) -  Aldila Rogue Silver I/O 125 70TX tipped 1"

SLDR 3 wood 13° - Motore Speeder 757 X

RSI UDI 2 iron 18° - Sppeder HB 9.8 X

RSI 2 4-7 IRON DG X100

RSI TP 8-PW DG X100

VOKEY SM7 50, 54, 58

Bridgestone Tour B X

Wilson Staff Infinite Windy City Putter

1 hour ago, DJLookalike said:

Anyone know how to upload an excel file? I created a spreadsheet that interpolates the data based on your swing using linear algebra. I'd like to be able to upload said file.

Thanks!

Don't think you can upload a file, but if you can take what you have and put it in a Google spreadsheet, you can post the link so it's available.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

43 minutes ago, TR1PTIK said:

Don't think you can upload a file, but if you can take what you have and put it in a Google spreadsheet, you can post the link so it's available.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-klxlAqBcDo0eBqhXFbVKmE6Uf8RzbCt0Kyq_-rxwS4/edit?ts=5d0aafdc#gid=1712477298

BOOM! Thanks for the tip!

To use:

Go to the second tab of the sheet and enter you desired club speed and everything will extrapolate from there. You can add more balls to the table using the MGS data. I only entered balls that i was interested in comparing.

Thanks again!

RSI 2 4-7 IRON DG X100

RSI TP 8-PW DG X100

VOKEY SM7 50, 54, 58

Bridgestone Tour B X

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-klxlAqBcDo0eBqhXFbVKmE6Uf8RzbCt0Kyq_-rxwS4/edit?ts=5d0aafdc#gid=1712477298

BOOM! Thanks for the tip!

To use:
Go to the second tab of the sheet and enter you desired club speed and everything will extrapolate from there. You can add more balls to the table using the MGS data. I only entered balls that i was interested in comparing.

Thanks again!

I tried to copy it, but said it’s “view only”...

RSI 2 4-7 IRON DG X100

RSI TP 8-PW DG X100

VOKEY SM7 50, 54, 58

Bridgestone Tour B X

Just now, WalterS said:

Okay the new one works fine. I downloaded it and saved it as an excel file then opened it and it works great, thanks for sharing your hard work on this.

Awesome! Glad i could help! 

Interesting note, once all of my tp5x balls are gone, i shall be switching to the Tour B-X. I've already played with them and the carry is further. With my speed of 125+, the peak height is about 20' less with the Bridgestones if i remember correctly and an additional 8-9 yards of carry. Sign me up.

RSI 2 4-7 IRON DG X100

RSI TP 8-PW DG X100

VOKEY SM7 50, 54, 58

Bridgestone Tour B X

Yeah it looks like the BX has a good carry distance with a lower descent angle which should give it more run out than the other balls.

I'm not sure what the purpose of the point graphs are though. Clicking on the dots doesn't tell what ball is which. What did you mean for it to show? Or am I missing the whole point.

12 minutes ago, WalterS said:

Yeah it looks like the BX has a good carry distance with a lower descent angle which should give it more run out than the other balls.

I'm not sure what the purpose of the point graphs are though. Clicking on the dots doesn't tell what ball is which. What did you mean for it to show? Or am I missing the whole point.

The graphs had labels associated with them in excel, must get removed in the conversion to google sheet. I'm sure if you do a quick search how to add the labels to the data points, you can easily see which ball they refer too. They're just a nice quick look to see the balls launch/spin characteristics and such. Get the labels added, should be easier to see what i was trying to do. Basically just mimicking the MGS graphs.

RSI 2 4-7 IRON DG X100

RSI TP 8-PW DG X100

VOKEY SM7 50, 54, 58

Bridgestone Tour B X

I kind of figured that might have been the purpose of them (and that they weren't working correctly afterwards) but I just thought I'd ask. Thanks

Did you try the MTBx if you're going for distance, although it does have a higher descent angle which would make it run out less.

Just now, WalterS said:

I kind of figured that might have been the purpose of them (and that they weren't working correctly afterwards) but I just thought I'd ask. Thanks

Did you try the MTBx if you're going for distance, although it does have a higher descent angle which would make it run out less.

I don't want to toy around with the dispersion that thing had. I have plenty of distance with my swing speed. What i need is a consistent ball that also keeps the flight and spin down. I get a lot of height with my shots and can spin it up with my speed, so keeping that peak height low with my driver is what i was after. The extra carry and lower decent angle are a bonus.

RSI 2 4-7 IRON DG X100

RSI TP 8-PW DG X100

VOKEY SM7 50, 54, 58

Bridgestone Tour B X

On 6/20/2019 at 10:33 AM, DJLookalike said:

Awesome! Glad i could help! 

Interesting note, once all of my tp5x balls are gone, i shall be switching to the Tour B-X. I've already played with them and the carry is further. With my speed of 125+, the peak height is about 20' less with the Bridgestones if i remember correctly and an additional 8-9 yards of carry. Sign me up.

I put in my swing speed, and ball speed and the spreadsheet shows the Pro V1X as the longest option, with B XS, BX as 2nd and 3rd. I just bought some XV since they were buy 1, get 1, so I'll be losing 4 yards of carry according to the spreadsheet. Looks like Pro V1X will be my ball going forward. I'll be waiting until the do the buy 3, get 4 deal later in the year. 

...Pmookie, just keep in mind we are not robots. We may or may not find a 4 yd difference in top tier balls. Only way to find out is to play a practice round and hit several off each tee. Maybe the XV turns out to be best for you personally. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

At 125 mph SS I don't know if I'd be picking my ball based solely off of distance anyways. Hard to say for sure since I'm maxing out at 108 on a good day. However, if a ball did everything else I wanted it to do, and I lost 12' in distance, I'd probably be fine with it. Big ____ Problems I guess?

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

1 hour ago, chisag said:

...Pmookie, just keep in mind we are not robots. We may or may not find a 4 yd difference in top tier balls. Only way to find out is to play a practice round and hit several off each tee. Maybe the XV turns out to be best for you personally. 

Word!

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Well, then why look at data? So, just don’t use the info...

Ok.