Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

MGS Golf Ball Test

Golf Ball Test Results...Pre-Reveal  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Which brand do you think performs the best in MGS Golf Ball Test to be revealed Monday? (I have no idea what balls are being tested but this is my best bet)

• Bridgestone (e6, e12, Tour B X, Tour B XS, Tour B RX)
    • Callaway (Chrome Soft, Chrome Soft X, ERC Soft)
    • Cut (Red, Green, Blue, Black, Brown, Mauve, Burgundy, Candy Apple, Cyan, Golden Rod)
    • Maxfli (Tour, Tour x)
    • Mizuno (RB Tour, RB Tour X)
    • Snell (MTB Red, MTB Black, MTB X)
    • Srixon (Q Star, Z Star, Z Star XV, LGBTQ Star)
    • TaylorMade (TP5, TP5x, Project (a), Project (s))
    • Titleist (Pro V1, Pro V1x, AVX, Tour Soft, Velocity, DT TruSoft)
    • Vice (Drive, Pro, Pro Plus, Pro Soft)
    • Volvik (I don't even know if they're in the test)
    • Wilson (DUO Soft, DUO U, FG Tour)
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/29/2019 at 10:00 PM

On 6/21/2019 at 4:44 PM, PMookie said:

I put in my swing speed, and ball speed and the spreadsheet shows the Pro V1X as the longest option, with B XS, BX as 2nd and 3rd. I just bought some XV since they were buy 1, get 1, so I'll be losing 4 yards of carry according to the spreadsheet. Looks like Pro V1X will be my ball going forward. I'll be waiting until the do the buy 3, get 4 deal later in the year. 

Quick question, when you edited the spreadsheet, what did you change? The "drive data tab" just has the parent data and the other tab is the one to change. All you should have done was change your swing speed in the one cell I had highlighted. The whole table is screwed up now. It was built off the MGS robot data, now it's a table built off nothing.

I changed sheet 2 back to the original conditions. ONLY CHANGE THE NEW CLUB SPEED UNDER THE INTERPRETED DATA SECTION! BX is now back to King of carry over the ProV1x

Edited by DJLookalike
Typo

Hcp: 15

Swing speed: 125-130

2017 M1 440 9.5° (7.5°) -  Aldila Rogue Silver I/O 125 70TX tipped 1"

SLDR 3 wood 13° - Motore Speeder 757 X

RSI UDI 2 iron 18° - Sppeder HB 9.8 X

RSI 2 4-7 IRON DG X100

RSI TP 8-PW DG X100

VOKEY SM7 50, 54, 58

Bridgestone Tour B X

Wilson Staff Infinite Windy City Putter

On 6/19/2019 at 9:39 PM, PMookie said:

I tried to copy it, but said it’s “view only”...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Someone didn't read the instructions.  

RSI 2 4-7 IRON DG X100

RSI TP 8-PW DG X100

VOKEY SM7 50, 54, 58

Bridgestone Tour B X

the Tour BX/bxs and the pro v are the best balls ive used this year...the TP5/x are not that impressive. just a ball.....

tour bx flies far just like the titleist but the titleist is the perfect all around ball, especially around the greens

Golf is cool

On 6/19/2019 at 5:59 PM, DJLookalike said:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-klxlAqBcDo0eBqhXFbVKmE6Uf8RzbCt0Kyq_-rxwS4/edit?ts=5d0aafdc#gid=1712477298

BOOM! Thanks for the tip!

To use:

Go to the second tab of the sheet and enter you desired club speed and everything will extrapolate from there. You can add more balls to the table using the MGS data. I only entered balls that i was interested in comparing.

Thanks again!

There’s a lot of data in the file. What I’m wondering is you have it so you change the club head speed. So in this file, anyone who has a SS of 100 will receive the same data, is that correct? 

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

On 6/30/2019 at 2:31 PM, Kor.A.Door said:

There’s a lot of data in the file. What I’m wondering is you have it so you change the club head speed. So in this file, anyone who has a SS of 100 will receive the same data, is that correct? 

Correct. Should only have to change the club speed. The columns that are blacked out are the linear equations derived from the 85 and 115 club speed. The table to the right i have a cell highlighted with you desired club speed. 

RSI 2 4-7 IRON DG X100

RSI TP 8-PW DG X100

VOKEY SM7 50, 54, 58

Bridgestone Tour B X

Who watched the #noputtsgiven episode yesterday?

I found it fascinating to hear that there is a chance that there are different balls in the same box for some manufacturers. I would love to know what brand/model Tony was talking about, but I assume we will find out in due time.

Tony has also been saying for a while (and if you look back in this thread, so have I) that the manufacturers that control more aspects of the process will have the more consistent ball. Bridgestone and Sumitomo (Srixon) are also in the polymer production business so theoretically control all of the process. I'm willing to bet Titleist buys some polymer, but have no idea if they have any production capability, but the quality of the material going in to a mixer controls the quality of the material that comes out. I assume the Titleist name likely gives them more negotiating power when it comes to setting specs for materials they purchase.

Where does that leave the Snells/Vices/OnCores/Kirklands?

Any other thoughts stick out in your mind?

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

... Some of us have been saying this for quite awhile now. Don't play used balls or water balls or cheap balls or DTC balls because you have no idea what kind of quality they really are. Personally, I do not trust any of the DTC balls with the exception of Snell. Dean has put in the research and with his name on his ball I can't imagine he would cut any corners. It will be interesting to hear what kind of quality Kirkland Signature balls produce as Costco usually researches/tests a product before putting the Kirkland name on it. 

... So much of the original ball test, according to Tony and his Titleist visit, bears out why some of the balls in the test performed poorly as far as dispersion or consistency. The simply have very poor quality control. An off center core will effect the ball dramatically and of course if you have 10 balls out of 12 with good QC but 2 balls out of round or suffering some other QC issue, that could be the shot you hit OB that derails your round. A bad swing produces a bad shot but the good news is maybe not as bad as it could end up being if you are playing a quality ball. So the bottom line for even high index players that think the ball won't make any difference for their game, need to rethink their position because some of their bad shots can absolutely be the ball they are playing. Why take that chance? You can always find deals on last years balls from those with the highest QC and stock up. I think the scariest thing I heard, which I had no idea before this podcast, is some of the cheaper balls when cut open had completely different materials and cores within one dozen!?!? Some 2 piece, some 3 or even 4 piece balls, all with different materials meaning the performance will be radically different for every ball. Poor quality yes, but I would have never guessed they are completely different balls in a one dozen box. 

... Lastly Tony says Titleist, Srixon and Bridgestone are to be trusted for their QC. I have been playing Z Stars and TP5x and hate to think TaylorMade is cutting corners with their QC. When you look at the men and women on tour it is easy to see Titleist, TaylorMade, Srixon and Bridgestone are the balls the pros trust. Callaway has a tour presence but we know the Pro's play a different ball than the retail version. The new Maxfli's tested well so I imagine they are included in balls you can trust. You see a few Volvik's especially on the LPGA, but Bubba playing so poorly with Volvik's and cancelling his contract is a red flag for me. I am eagerly anticipating Tony cutting balls open to test their QC in his future ball series. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

2 hours ago, chisag said:

... Some of us have been saying this for quite awhile now. Don't play used balls or water balls or cheap balls or DTC balls because you have no idea what kind of quality they really are. Personally, I do not trust any of the DTC balls with the exception of Snell. Dean has put in the research and with his name on his ball I can't imagine he would cut any corners. It will be interesting to hear what kind of quality Kirkland Signature balls produce as Costco usually researches/tests a product before putting the Kirkland name on it. 

... Lastly Tony says Titleist, Srixon and Bridgestone are to be trusted for their QC. I have been playing Z Stars and TP5x and hate to think TaylorMade is cutting corners with their QC. When you look at the men and women on tour it is easy to see Titleist, TaylorMade, Srixon and Bridgestone are the balls the pros trust. Callaway has a tour presence but we know the Pro's play a different ball than the retail version. The new Maxfli's tested well so I imagine they are included in balls you can trust. You see a few Volvik's especially on the LPGA, but Bubba playing so poorly with Volvik's and cancelling his contract is a red flag for me. I am eagerly anticipating Tony cutting balls open to test their QC in his future ball series. 

Kirkland isn't the manufacturer of those balls.....I cant see how they would have great QC for those balls.

...and the only ball that is the same on tour as it is on the shelf is the Bridgestone, correct?

Golf is cool

1 minute ago, Tsecor said:

Kirkland isn't the manufacturer of those balls.....I cant see how they would have great QC for those balls.

...and the only ball that is the same on tour as it is on the shelf is the Bridgestone, correct?

Srixon says theirs are the same as well 

5 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

Since Costco is a big company with a lot of bargaining power, they might have enough power to demand better quality than some of the others that don't make their own balls. That's purely conjecture on my part, though.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Tried the Srixon Z star and man that is a good ball.... just as good as the PV1 and PV1x that I've been playing.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, TM Sim2 19*, Cobra F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Cleveland HB Soft #1 w/UST
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

5 minutes ago, MaxEntropy said:

Since Costco is a big company with a lot of bargaining power, they might have enough power to demand better quality than some of the others that don't make their own balls. That's purely conjecture on my part, though.

if you look at the history of the "Kirkland" ball, you will see they purchased over runs of a 4 piece ball and put their name on it. Then they went to a 3 pc ball because they could not get their hands on any 4pc model. They bought up the over runs through a 3rd party vendor. Nobody knows what ball it really was....

Golf is cool

Just now, Tsecor said:

if you look at the history of the "Kirkland" ball, you will see they purchased over runs of a 4 piece ball and put their name on it. Then they went to a 3 pc ball because they could not get their hands on any 4pc model. They bought up the over runs through a 3rd party vendor. Nobody knows what ball it really was....

Yeah...and it seems like Costco has slim margins so they make their $ on volume which means the QC of things like golfballs probably isn't valued much.  I mean if they get them and they're discolored or something than they can kick them back but they probably have no clue what is on the inside of the ball - nor do they really care... as long as folks buy them.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

would love to see Tony cut into a TopFlite and see it have the same profile as a ball 2-3 times the price!

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

15 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

would love to see Tony cut into a TopFlite and see it have the same profile as a ball 2-3 times the price!

wouldnt that be something😂

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

My best guess on the Costco 3 Piece ball is that it was the same ball as the original Cut Blue. The 3 Piece K-Sig performed very similar to the Cut Blue on the TXG tests. It also appears that Costco stopped buying overruns and now has a steady supply of the 3 Piece. At the same time, the Cut Blue changed quite a bit and is no longer the same ball. The circumstantial evidence suggests to me Costco could guarantee a purchase of enough balls that the factory making that ball might only now be supplying them.

Ping Traverse
King Cobra F7 10.5* w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Blue 60
TEE E8 4W, 7W
Mizuno JPX-900 Hot Metal 5-SW w/ Veylix Alpina 873
TEE CB PROs 60*
Scotty Cameron Squareback

21 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Yeah...and it seems like Costco has slim margins so they make their $ on volume which means the QC of things like golfballs probably isn't valued much.  I mean if they get them and they're discolored or something than they can kick them back but they probably have no clue what is on the inside of the ball - nor do they really care... as long as folks buy them.

... Costco makes the bulk of their money off memberships. The Kirkland brand is extremely important to their success and I can't imagine them just buying over stock balls without knowing anything about their QC. I think Costco knows exactly what is inside and how the Kirkland balls are made. They genuinely care about quality and they care about their customers, something very rare in todays corporate world. Like I said it will be interesting to hear how they test for QC when Tony cuts them open. 

... That said, Tsecor is right, we don't really know what ball it really is. And repeating myself, I played with a Mini Tour winner in Orlando that loved the Kirkland 4 piece but after testing a dozen found inconsistencies in 2 of the 12 so they certainly are not a top tier ball like Titleist, Bridgestone and Srixon. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

50 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

😂🤣, That'd be great, but I think they'll only find the captured bone fragments of golfers who purchased RockFlites. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

4 minutes ago, GB13 said:

😂🤣, That'd be great, but I think they'll only find the captured bone fragments of golfers who purchased RockFlites. 

Can get a 15 pack of D2 for 9.99.... I'm just sayin.  😉

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

34 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Costco makes the bulk of their money off memberships. The Kirkland brand is extremely important to their success and I can't imagine them just buying over stock balls without knowing anything about their QC. I think Costco knows exactly what is inside and how the Kirkland balls are made. They genuinely care about quality and they care about their customers, something very rare in todays corporate world. Like I said it will be interesting to hear how they test for QC when Tony cuts them open. 

... That said, Tsecor is right, we don't really know what ball it really is. And repeating myself, I played with a Mini Tour winner in Orlando that loved the Kirkland 4 piece but after testing a dozen found inconsistencies in 2 of the 12 so they certainly are not a top tier ball like Titleist, Bridgestone and Srixon. 

obviously Kirkland hit a home run with the 4pc they had. Its a strange story because they purchased through a 3rd party and not directly. Soon after Titleist sued them for Patent infringement. it was eventually settled, so its odd they had a 4pc offering ONCE and never again.....some speculate the ball was actually the QUATTRO sold in Ireland......we may never know.  BUT, Kirkland sells a 3pc ball which underperforms most other 3pc balls, mainly because of the success they had with the over run ball they put their name on.  Not sure this is a sustainable model for the Kirkland brand which has always been great in other areas of the business.

Golf is cool

3 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

obviously Kirkland hit a home run with the 4pc they had. Its a strange story because they purchased through a 3rd party and not directly. Soon after Titleist sued them for Patent infringement. it was eventually settled, so its odd they had a 4pc offering ONCE and never again.....some speculate the ball was actually the QUATTRO sold in Ireland......we may never know.  BUT, Kirkland sells a 3pc ball which underperforms most other 3pc balls, mainly because of the success they had with the over run ball they put their name on.  Not sure this is a sustainable model for the Kirkland brand which has always been great in other areas of the business.

The 3pc ball under performs most other 3pc tour balls, but not by much, and it costs $12 a dozen. It way out performs almost all other balls at it's price point. It's going to be better than a Wilson Duo or Callaway Supersoft. It's going to be better than the ERC Soft at 1/3 the price. I'd argue other than feel, it's a better performer than the Wilson Duo Pro or Q-Star Tour. It even undercuts most of the other direct to consumer balls which are going to be similar in performance. I'd argue that you should either play a full on tour ball or you should be playing the Kirkland, there's basically no in between any more.

Ping Traverse
King Cobra F7 10.5* w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Blue 60
TEE E8 4W, 7W
Mizuno JPX-900 Hot Metal 5-SW w/ Veylix Alpina 873
TEE CB PROs 60*
Scotty Cameron Squareback

17 minutes ago, arbeck said:

The 3pc ball under performs most other 3pc tour balls, but not by much, and it costs $12 a dozen. It way out performs almost all other balls at it's price point. It's going to be better than a Wilson Duo or Callaway Supersoft. It's going to be better than the ERC Soft at 1/3 the price. I'd argue other than feel, it's a better performer than the Wilson Duo Pro or Q-Star Tour. It even undercuts most of the other direct to consumer balls which are going to be similar in performance. I'd argue that you should either play a full on tour ball or you should be playing the Kirkland, there's basically no in between any more.

fair points all around. I think the Q-star is much better though, but you make good points.....and at $12/dzn.....hard to argue

Golf is cool

9 hours ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Tried the Srixon Z star and man that is a good ball.... just as good as the PV1 and PV1x that I've been playing.

I’ve switched from the XV to the std Z Star this season.  Distance is nearly identical with all clubs, much straighter with my driver, and better approach control...for me.  It really is a great all around ball.

• PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5* - Graphite Design Tour AD-HD 7 TX
  • TaylorMade M6 15* - PX HZRDUS Green 80 TX
  • Titleist 913 Fd 18* - MCA KuroKage XMS 90 X /// OR /// Callaway XForged UT 20* - Aldila Rogue Black 105 TX
  • Srixon Z745 4-P - PX LZ 7.0
  • Vokey SM7 49F / 53F / 58K - DG TI S400
  • Odyssey Black #3 34”
  • Titleist AVX

I played my whole round today with the Bridgestone Tour BX and LOVED IT! Distance off the tee, great spin and feel around the greens, and I really liked the feel. It’s a tough choice between these and the Pro V1X I played last week!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Please forgive me if this has already been answered in the 900+ previous replies (if it has, just say so and I'll go look for it).

I am testing the Z-Star and XV as an official reviewer right now.  While I'm no robot, my results have been spot on for every thing except one:  driver carry distance.  Every other metric matches up for me as a high swing speed player with the MGS test (e.g., wedge spin, carry for 7iron, ball speed with driver, etc.).

It would seem to me that the XV should produce the farthest driver carry distances (as it did in my test on GC2).  It launches the highest, has the least amount of spin, and the highest ball speed and compression.  That is all a formula for greater carry distance is it not?  In my test, the XV went the farthest, followed by the Z-Star, and lastly the Kirkland 3-piece (again, spin, launch, speed should = these results, unless I'm totally off base).  

However, the official MGS ball test had the Kirkland carrying farthest of these balls, followed by the Q-star (lowest compression of the 4 balls discussed here), then the XV and Z-star......... what gives???  Was the XV that inconsistent with distance?  It was tighter in carry std dev than the Kirkland and Q-Star tour.  If soft=slow, then why is the Q-Star tour out carrying a ball that is 30 compression points higher with a robot???

I'm baffled (could be that it is after midnight.....).  In other news, I'm impressed with some of my own std deviations when compared to a robot.  As the new direction MGS is going with the wild inconsistencies in ball tolerances, if a robot can't hit a ball consistently online or the same distance, we got no shot! LOL

Edited by ChasingScratch

Instagram:  @tony_rosselli_

:SuperSpeed:Training

Pre training max driver speed: 124mph

Current: 130mph

WITB:

Driver: :ping-small:G425 Max, 9*

Woods: :taylormade-small: 2007 Burner TP 3 wood and 5 wood

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z765 4-PW (1 degree flat) with KBS $-130 shafts

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 50/12/F, 54/10/S and 58/12/D

Putter:  L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1

It launches the highest, has the least amount of spin, and the highest ball speed and compression.  That is all a formula for greater carry distance is it not? 

Maybe you launch too high with too little spin. Don’t know what to tell you that everyone is different and you have to buy the balls to see how they work for your swing.

If you want to verify what you are seeing and try to optimize you can use a site like this: https://flightscope.com/products/trajectory-optimizer/

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

22 hours ago, chisag said:

... So much of the original ball test, according to Tony and his Titleist visit, bears out why some of the balls in the test performed poorly as far as dispersion or consistency. The simply have very poor quality control. An off center core will effect the ball dramatically and of course if you have 10 balls out of 12 with good QC but 2 balls out of round or suffering some other QC issue, that could be the shot you hit OB that derails your round. A bad swing produces a bad shot but the good news is maybe not as bad as it could end up being if you are playing a quality ball. So the bottom line for even high index players that think the ball won't make any difference for their game, need to rethink their position because some of their bad shots can absolutely be the ball they are playing. Why take that chance? You can always find deals on last years balls from those with the highest QC and stock up. I think the scariest thing I heard, which I had no idea before this podcast, is some of the cheaper balls when cut open had completely different materials and cores within one dozen!?!? Some 2 piece, some 3 or even 4 piece balls, all with different materials meaning the performance will be radically different for every ball. Poor quality yes, but I would have never guessed they are completely different balls in a one dozen box. 

TaylorMade may not cut corners but they don’t own the whole process.

19 hours ago, Tsecor said:

I’m not sure anyone said all Bridgestone tour balls are the same as retail but that tiger’s ball is the same as retail. Also not every pro is playing a special ball or unique to just them. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

19 hours ago, Tsecor said:

nice. I should try them because they are priced right, that's for sure

They were at our Club the other day promoting their ball - buy one doz get one doz free. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

6 hours ago, ChasingScratch said:

I'm baffled (could be that it is after midnight.....).  

Everyone's swing is different and the way the club interacts with the ball will yield different results from different people.  Ball characteristics are not the only factor that affect the ball distance, spin, or flight.  In addition to your individual swing, each club has inherent characteristics affecting the ball.

What works for you may not work as well for me.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug