txgolfjunkie

MGS Golf Ball Test

Golf Ball Test Results...Pre-Reveal  

56 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Which brand do you think performs the best in MGS Golf Ball Test to be revealed Monday? (I have no idea what balls are being tested but this is my best bet)

• Bridgestone (e6, e12, Tour B X, Tour B XS, Tour B RX)
    • Callaway (Chrome Soft, Chrome Soft X, ERC Soft)
    • Cut (Red, Green, Blue, Black, Brown, Mauve, Burgundy, Candy Apple, Cyan, Golden Rod)
    • Maxfli (Tour, Tour x)
    • Mizuno (RB Tour, RB Tour X)
    • Snell (MTB Red, MTB Black, MTB X)
    • Srixon (Q Star, Z Star, Z Star XV, LGBTQ Star)
    • TaylorMade (TP5, TP5x, Project (a), Project (s))
    • Titleist (Pro V1, Pro V1x, AVX, Tour Soft, Velocity, DT TruSoft)
    • Vice (Drive, Pro, Pro Plus, Pro Soft)
    • Volvik (I don't even know if they're in the test)
    • Wilson (DUO Soft, DUO U, FG Tour)
    • Other

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/29/2019 at 10:00 PM

TXG had some very kind words and respect for mygolfspy during their livestream tonight. 

They also said that the results prompted them to test the MTB X and Chrome soft head to the head and will be posting a video later this week. They alluded to the fact that their results might not have been in line with what MGS saw 

• Like 3

I still haven’t decided what route to go: Pro V1X, or TOUR B X.... Ugh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Try em both.
  • Like 2

TXG had some very kind words and respect for mygolfspy during their livestream tonight. 
They also said that the results prompted them to test the MTB X and Chrome soft head to the head and will be posting a video later this week. They alluded to the fact that their results might not have been in line with what MGS saw 

With a robot?

10 minutes ago, Shankster said:

With a robot?

Matty B is pretty damn close to a robot.  Plus, with GC quad they can sure they are comparing similar club head speeds, deliveries and strike locations.

• Like 3

My pro just handed me a sleeve of Z- Stars to try. Eye opening, easy firmer than the other top balls but just as much short game feel. I may have a new favorite after all. Gonna game it for my tourney this weekend.

Take Dead Aim

2 hours ago, Popeye64 said:

I'm looking forward to try those against my gamer the B XS.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

let me know because I have some BXs coming tomorrow.....never played either but I am interested in both

Posted (edited)

So I went back and took a deep dive into some more of the data. Specifically looking at balls that I think could fit my game based solely on what the data shows. (With the exception of Titleist). I won’t ever buy those, so no point in checking that data. I was looking for distance from tee, irons, and wedge. Looking at standard deviations. For each. It looks like the MTBX, and either the Bridgestone BX or the B RX. I will try the Bridgestone balls, it has been a while since I put those into play, and they have changed slightly since the last time I used them. I will probably purchase just a sleeve of each of the yellow to test for myself. 

If anyone would like to test the MTB black (yellow) I’ve got about a 6 sleeves. I’d be happy to send a sleeve to anyone looking to try them. Saves y’all from having to wait, and also saves some dough. Let m know. 

Edited by Kor.A.Door
  • Like 2

@Kor.A.Door, as you know, there is no "one ball fits all" out there, as each of us have differing swing characteristics.  Good luck in your own personal search for the best ball for you!  I've always like the Bridgestone ball, used to play it exclusively (several generations back played the Tour BS 300, then later the RXS version).  It fit my game fairly well, but my playing partner (A ProV1 fanboy) hated them.  Go figure.  I've also never been a big fan of ProV1 balls, but not for the normal reasoning of others -- in my case, I just hated hitting the same ball everyone else was playing.  LOL

How's life up in Winthrop country?  😉 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CarlH said:

@Kor.A.Door, as you know, there is no "one ball fits all" out there, as each of us have differing swing characteristics.  Good luck in your own personal search for the best ball for you!  I've always like the Bridgestone ball, used to play it exclusively (several generations back played the Tour BS 300, then later the RXS version).  It fit my game fairly well, but my playing partner (A ProV1 fanboy) hated them.  Go figure.  I've also never been a big fan of ProV1 balls, but not for the normal reasoning of others -- in my case, I just hated hitting the same ball everyone else was playing.  LOL

How's life up in Winthrop country?  😉 

I just don’t like Titleist in general. I really don’t like the cost with anything that says titleist. Plus, nothing from them has really ever fit my game. I know I’m not going to buy anything from them, so I don’t look. Anyway. I’ve played the old versions of the RX, and RXS. I have not tried the new versions. Who knows, the characteristics seem to look like they fit. So I’ll give em a try. 

It good up this way. Hot and humid the last couple weeks. the pollen was horrible, and lasted longer than usual, but it seems to have backed off in the last week or so. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, WalterS said:

Good to hear they held the line better. Interesting to see you've played what you have, do you prefer the MTBX over the others. I've played the TP5/ProV's/ Srixon but not the MTBX. I was a little put off by some of the test results and not just the driver data. Just going by the data I'd pick the ProV1X or Srixon Zstar/XV -Tour BX. But does it really matter which of these top performers an amateur plays, I doubt it but who knows. I question some of the robot's numbers, not because I know any better, just because some of them don't make sense when looking at the trends.

I do prefer the MTB-X off the driver in particular and think it fits my short game better than the ProV1x.  I do like the feel and iron performance better with the Titleist but overall I would say they are pretty equal.  If performance is equal, then I am glad to save the $15 a dozen.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jlukes said:

Matty B is pretty damn close to a robot.  Plus, with GC quad they can sure they are comparing similar club head speeds, deliveries and strike locations.

I guess the only part of a TXG test that I would question, is only that it is done indoors with only 20' or so of ball flight. I'm assuming there are some good calculations, but they have to have some standard aero coefficients plugged in. Might make it hard for one brand /ball to show much difference from another. 

Maybe not? 

• Like 2

let me know because I have some BXs coming tomorrow.....never played either but I am interested in both
My only "complaint" about the B XS is I thought it spun too much for me off the driver. But,,, it was simply perfect for me everywhere else. From the data it showed just that... it was a bit spinny off the driver.
But if I went by the edict of fit the ball to your short game and the driver to the ball it's perfect. Which,, is just what the data for me shows. Perfect for me everywhere but the driver. I'm actually splitting hairs but the B X might be better for me with its lower spin from the driver.
I had been searching for a ball for quite awhile and stumbled upon the B XS. I have a rack full of balls. Chrome Soft, MTB Black, ERC, TP5X and a few PRO Vs. The B XS was given to me and the ball was almost perfect other than the driver which was proven by data. Really eye opening test.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I'd actually think the opposite. Indoor testing would allow for greater control of all the variables.

I guess the only part of a TXG test that I would question, is only that it is done indoors with only 20' or so of ball flight. I'm assuming there are some good calculations, but they have to have some standard aero coefficients plugged in. Might make it hard for one brand /ball to show much difference from another. 

Maybe not? 

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, FrogginBullfish said:

I'd actually think the opposite. Indoor testing would allow for greater control of all the variables.

Controls that don't really matter, unless you actually play golf indoors like it's 3019

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Kor.A.Door said:

I just don’t like Titleist in general. I really don’t like the cost with anything that says titleist. Plus, nothing from them has really ever fit my game. I know I’m not going to buy anything from them, so I don’t look. Anyway. I’ve played the old versions of the RX, and RXS. I have not tried the new versions. Who knows, the characteristics seem to look like they fit. So I’ll give em a try. 

It good up this way. Hot and humid the last couple weeks. the pollen was horrible, and lasted longer than usual, but it seems to have backed off in the last week or so. 

You say price is an issue for you with titleist. Is $3 difference between them and the Bridgestone, Tp5/x or Chrome soft really a difference. Their clubs are also cheaper than several other mainstream brands on the market 

6 hours ago, Thin2win said:

Maybe not? 

Considering that they use gcquad it’s not tracking the whole flight the distance of ball flight isn’t really an issue. It’s one of the reasons gcquad indoors is better than trackman or flightscope

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Thin2win said:

Maybe not? 

Good point.  I posted something earlier in the thread where pointing out that the ball speed, launch and spin numbers of the MTBx and the TP5x where very close but the MTBx had a few yards extra carry off the driver at 115 + 85.  There is  no way the launch monitor will pick that up.  If there are any launch monitor experts out there, please explain if this is not the case.   Wonder how the LM results will compare to MGS test.  

BTW I am a huge fan of TXG so in no way am I trying to be negative about their efforts.   TXG has some of the best golf content on YouTube.  

• Like 2

The problem as I see it is that MGS has come out and pretty much attributed everything to ballspeed with their "soft is slow" tagline. No real commentary or data around aerodynamics affecting distance 

• Like 2

Except the control of variables matters when testing purely for performance characteristics of a given product. If you want a fair comparison of multiple products, then you need to test them under the same exact conditions.

MGS used a swing robot for the buyer's guide for exactly this reason, control of variables. They can control swing speed, strike location, and launch conditions with the robot, such that any difference in output is the direct result of each individual ball being tested.

Controls that don't really matter, unless you actually play golf indoors like it's 3019

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, mooremikea said:

Good point.  I posted something earlier in the thread where pointing out that the ball speed, launch and spin numbers of the MTBx and the TP5x where very close but the MTBx had a few yards extra carry off the driver at 115 + 85.  There is  no way the launch monitor will pick that up.  If there are any launch monitor experts out there, please explain if this is not the case.   Wonder how the LM results will compare to MGS test.  

BTW I am a huge fan of TXG so in no way am I trying to be negative about their efforts.   TXG has some of the best golf content on YouTube.  

Gcquad uses an algorithm based on the data and pictures captured as the ball passes the monitor. In some reading the algorithm on the gcquad seems to be the most accurate of the monitors out there (prior to recent upgrades from trackman)

trackman uses cameras, data, radar info to place into their algorithm so even though it tracks the entire ball flight outdoors there’s still some “guesswork” from the algorithm. 

Flightscope is similar to trackman but in readings ive seen is the least accurate of the three.

• Like 3

This may have been posted in the thread somewhere already but I went to see if I could get some MTb-X to try and apparently they are on backorder, They openly attributed it to the MGS ball test. I also can no longer find any Zstars or Z star XVs on Lostgolfballs. I ordered 48 a month or two ago and there was a plethora of choices...Talk about making waves..now I'm gonna have to pay full price for golf balls...

• Like 1