txgolfjunkie

MGS Golf Ball Test

Golf Ball Test Results...Pre-Reveal  

56 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Which brand do you think performs the best in MGS Golf Ball Test to be revealed Monday? (I have no idea what balls are being tested but this is my best bet)

• Bridgestone (e6, e12, Tour B X, Tour B XS, Tour B RX)
    • Callaway (Chrome Soft, Chrome Soft X, ERC Soft)
    • Cut (Red, Green, Blue, Black, Brown, Mauve, Burgundy, Candy Apple, Cyan, Golden Rod)
    • Maxfli (Tour, Tour x)
    • Mizuno (RB Tour, RB Tour X)
    • Snell (MTB Red, MTB Black, MTB X)
    • Srixon (Q Star, Z Star, Z Star XV, LGBTQ Star)
    • TaylorMade (TP5, TP5x, Project (a), Project (s))
    • Titleist (Pro V1, Pro V1x, AVX, Tour Soft, Velocity, DT TruSoft)
    • Vice (Drive, Pro, Pro Plus, Pro Soft)
    • Volvik (I don't even know if they're in the test)
    • Wilson (DUO Soft, DUO U, FG Tour)
    • Other

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/29/2019 at 10:00 PM

1 hour ago, WalterS said:

What is Hosel Rocket?

My iron game at the moment. Jokes aside, it's a YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKSiwkrPulzIXuK951j5McA

14 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

The ball test prompted me to stick with a tour ball rather than the cheap 2 piece balls I usually play. I’ve been playing the Z Star and really struggled with it in the wind. Not so much cross winds but I am coming up way short into the wind and way long with the wind. Like abnormally short or long. Is this common with spinnier balls?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Which year Z-star are you playing? I had the same issue with the '17 Z-star into the wind.

• Like 1

Which year Z-star are you playing? I had the same issue with the '17 Z-star into the wind.

It is last years Z Star so 2018.

14 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

It is last years Z Star so 2018.

That would be the 2017 version as well. Srixon is on two year cycles 

• Like 2

That would be the 2017 version as well. Srixon is on two year cycles 

Damn, picked up 2 dozen. Is this a known issue with this ball or user dependent?

4 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

Damn, picked up 2 dozen. Is this a known issue with this ball or user dependent?

User dependent I'm sure, it's still a great ball that I'm sure would fit a lot of golfers! Try the 2019 out and see if you notice a difference :). If the MTB-X doesn't beat out the TP5x, I'm going to pickup a dozen of the '19 Z-Star and XV to test myself as well.

• Like 1

User dependent I'm sure, it's still a great ball that I'm sure would fit a lot of golfers! Try the 2019 out and see if you notice a difference :). If the MTB-X doesn't beat out the TP5x, I'm going to pickup a dozen of the '19 Z-Star and XV to test myself as well.

I played the Z Star quite a bit last year without any issues but it has been unusually windy every round I’ve played these balls this year. I was hitting the Duo Pro much better so may give them a go again tomorrow when I play.

55 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

That’s on the user mostly but some balls perform better in wind than others. I haven’t played z stars since 2015 version. I prefer Prov1/1x, tp5/5x and oncore 

Just picked up some Bridgestone tour BX and TP5X and look forward to testing these against the pro v 1 this week in real life on course amateur golfer testing.
I was not in love with the BXs. Thought it ballooned a bit in the wind and felt too soft off the putter. It made me want to hit the putter harder and I blew it by the hole a few times.
We'll see how the higher compression balls play
I thought the BX and the BXs played very similar with only the feel being different BX seemed just a bit longer off the driver. At times if I sosnt k how which ball I was getting I couldnt tell a difference. Both balls near the green are stellar.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I ordered a dozen MTB-X as I'm doing ball testing for myself with ProV1/X, Z-Stars, TP5/X, Mizuno RB/X, and now these. These were very comparable to the ProV1 X but the yellow coloring is weird. It's not a chartreuse color like you get with the rest of the balls out there. It's a flat yellow like some of the Volviks are. If I decide to play white balls this year they'll be in the mix, but the yellows are out for me as they just look strange.

10 hours ago, b505jcm said:

I ordered a dozen MTB-X as I'm doing ball testing for myself with ProV1/X, Z-Stars, TP5/X, Mizuno RB/X, and now these. These were very comparable to the ProV1 X but the yellow coloring is weird. It's not a chartreuse color like you get with the rest of the balls out there. It's a flat yellow like some of the Volviks are. If I decide to play white balls this year they'll be in the mix, but the yellows are out for me as they just look strange.

Let me know if you want to trade a sleeve or two if you don't like the yellow

Played the MTB-X today after work. Only 9 holes but my early thoughts are that this ball is very comparible to TP5x for me, with a little more greenside spin. It feels longer for me than MTB Black was, which is great. Not too many full shots into greens today because the muni is a little short, but on the 150y par 3 I got a nice high, hop and stop with my 8i:

IMG_20190522_163628.jpeg

This could be my new gamer if it ends up being a more affordable TP5x, which is what it feels like it could be. Interesting, because on the Snell website they say the MTB Black is more comparable to TP5x. The ball held up pretty nicely aside from a small paint chip where the yellow seems to have completely disappeared. I think it was from the ball hitting the cart path after I hit the mango tree, so not really a durability issue more than it is a ME issue.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

On 5/22/2019 at 11:05 AM, Wedgie said:

Probably user dependant, I play in a very windy area and the Z Star performs well for me in the wind, better than most other options I've tried (2017 model)

MGS has certainly ruffled a few feathers in the industry .... BUT

1. The TXG testing on the Snell MTB-X and Chrome Soft X comes with very different conclusions

2. The TXG testing on Srixon Z Star XV and Wilson Duo also comes with different conclusions. TXG is a respected entity

3. When I add the Chrome Soft to the raw data of example #2 above, based on the MGS data it outperforms both balls at 85 mph (Irons), and the line from Titlkeist for years has been -- start from the green and work backwards towards driver performance. Yet this Srixon ZV is termed as a Very Good Ball and the Callaway as Fair. 

4. We know that Callaway provides their tour staff with a different ball; but so do Titleist (ask Justin Thomas etc) and I would be surprised if TM don't do the same for Rory et al. 

5. There have been some unbelievable claims in the Forum over driver distance gains by change of ball -  (look up the meaning of the word unbelievable in the directory..). Simply not possible. A recent President would be proud of those claims... 

6. I think the summary of the report is too biased towards Driver at Higher speed with not enough emphasis on overall scoring performance... as an example, the value "feel" is underestimated - some would view Pro V1x and Bridgestone B X as "clicky off the putter face and discount them. (NB: Drive for show; Putt for dough)  I appreciate "feel" cannot be measured - it cannot be captured in raw data format and like love, is very much in the eyes of the beholder. 

7. In summary, a very interesting start to the subject matter - congrats to MGS , but do use stronger caveats to the conclusions.. PS I immediately went out to buy the Chrome Soft Triple Strip - if it is good eenough for Phil, it works for me...

45 minutes ago, derh50 said:

MGS has certainly ruffled a few feathers in the industry .... BUT

1. The TXG testing on the Snell MTB-X and Chrome Soft X comes with very different conclusions

2. The TXG testing on Srixon Z Star XV and Wilson Duo also comes with different conclusions. TXG is a respected entity

3. When I add the Chrome Soft to the raw data of example #2 above, based on the MGS data it outperforms both balls at 85 mph (Irons), and the line from Titlkeist for years has been -- start from the green and work backwards towards driver performance. Yet this Srixon ZV is termed as a Very Good Ball and the Callaway as Fair. 

4. We know that Callaway provides their tour staff with a different ball; but so do Titleist (ask Justin Thomas etc) and I would be surprised if TM don't do the same for Rory et al. 

5. There have been some unbelievable claims in the Forum over driver distance gains by change of ball -  (look up the meaning of the word unbelievable in the directory..). Simply not possible. A recent President would be proud of those claims... 

6. I think the summary of the report is too biased towards Driver at Higher speed with not enough emphasis on overall scoring performance... as an example, the value "feel" is underestimated - some would view Pro V1x and Bridgestone B X as "clicky off the putter face and discount them. (NB: Drive for show; Putt for dough)  I appreciate "feel" cannot be measured - it cannot be captured in raw data format and like love, is very much in the eyes of the beholder. 

7. In summary, a very interesting start to the subject matter - congrats to MGS , but do use stronger caveats to the conclusions.. PS I immediately went out to buy the Chrome Soft Triple Strip - if it is good eenough for Phil, it works for me...

1. TXG and MGS performed two different tests in two different environments and with different monitors.

2. Same as #1

4. Players from those brands also use the retail ball where Callaway has zero using retail ball prior to the triple track which iirc hasn’t been confirmed to be the same as the tour ball Callaway staff use.  

5. It’s not really unbelievable just as those who can yardage from a properly fit driver. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Players from those brands also use the retail ball where Callaway has zero using retail ball prior to the triple track which iirc hasn’t been confirmed to be the same as the tour ball Callaway staff use.   

I think the Callaway faithful are choosing to ignore that aspect of the MGS testing or didn't actually read the article and don't even know Callaway staffers aren't playing the retail ball.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, yungkory said:

I think it was from the ball hitting the cart path after I hit the mango tree,

Wish I lived somewhere that I even had a chance of hitting a mango tree! 😁

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Haven't updated my progress with the MTB-X in a while.  My MTB-X package arrived May 1st and I have played about 6 days a week with it ever since.  I would have expected to see some anomaly by now if there were going to be one.  My conclusion is, the MTB-X is in my bag indefinitely!

• Like 3
  • Love 1

26 minutes ago, sixcat said:

I think the Callaway faithful are choosing to ignore that aspect of the MGS testing or didn't actually read the article and don't even know Callaway staffers aren't playing the retail ball.

It’s like they missed the fact there’s a dozen balls or so in the same categories as the cs and csx. The only brand or “fans” complaining are the Callaway ones. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Peaksy68 said:

Probably user dependant, I play in a very windy area and the Z Star performs well for me in the wind, better than most other options I've tried (2017 model)

I played the Z Star yesterday in the wind and had no issues.  But I was back at my home course so maybe is was a one off and a lack of familiarity with the course I had issues. 

• Like 3