txgolfjunkie

MGS Golf Ball Test

Golf Ball Test Results...Pre-Reveal  

56 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Which brand do you think performs the best in MGS Golf Ball Test to be revealed Monday? (I have no idea what balls are being tested but this is my best bet)

• Bridgestone (e6, e12, Tour B X, Tour B XS, Tour B RX)
    • Callaway (Chrome Soft, Chrome Soft X, ERC Soft)
    • Cut (Red, Green, Blue, Black, Brown, Mauve, Burgundy, Candy Apple, Cyan, Golden Rod)
    • Maxfli (Tour, Tour x)
    • Mizuno (RB Tour, RB Tour X)
    • Snell (MTB Red, MTB Black, MTB X)
    • Srixon (Q Star, Z Star, Z Star XV, LGBTQ Star)
    • TaylorMade (TP5, TP5x, Project (a), Project (s))
    • Titleist (Pro V1, Pro V1x, AVX, Tour Soft, Velocity, DT TruSoft)
    • Vice (Drive, Pro, Pro Plus, Pro Soft)
    • Volvik (I don't even know if they're in the test)
    • Wilson (DUO Soft, DUO U, FG Tour)
    • Other

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/29/2019 at 10:00 PM

Yeah it looks like the BX has a good carry distance with a lower descent angle which should give it more run out than the other balls.

I'm not sure what the purpose of the point graphs are though. Clicking on the dots doesn't tell what ball is which. What did you mean for it to show? Or am I missing the whole point.

12 minutes ago, WalterS said:

Yeah it looks like the BX has a good carry distance with a lower descent angle which should give it more run out than the other balls.

I'm not sure what the purpose of the point graphs are though. Clicking on the dots doesn't tell what ball is which. What did you mean for it to show? Or am I missing the whole point.

The graphs had labels associated with them in excel, must get removed in the conversion to google sheet. I'm sure if you do a quick search how to add the labels to the data points, you can easily see which ball they refer too. They're just a nice quick look to see the balls launch/spin characteristics and such. Get the labels added, should be easier to see what i was trying to do. Basically just mimicking the MGS graphs.

• Like 1

I kind of figured that might have been the purpose of them (and that they weren't working correctly afterwards) but I just thought I'd ask. Thanks

Did you try the MTBx if you're going for distance, although it does have a higher descent angle which would make it run out less.

• Like 1

Just now, WalterS said:

I kind of figured that might have been the purpose of them (and that they weren't working correctly afterwards) but I just thought I'd ask. Thanks

Did you try the MTBx if you're going for distance, although it does have a higher descent angle which would make it run out less.

I don't want to toy around with the dispersion that thing had. I have plenty of distance with my swing speed. What i need is a consistent ball that also keeps the flight and spin down. I get a lot of height with my shots and can spin it up with my speed, so keeping that peak height low with my driver is what i was after. The extra carry and lower decent angle are a bonus.

• Like 1

Yes I agree, who needs the extra dispersion with added length making it a recipe for higher scores. 

• Like 1

On 6/20/2019 at 10:33 AM, DJLookalike said:

Awesome! Glad i could help! 

Interesting note, once all of my tp5x balls are gone, i shall be switching to the Tour B-X. I've already played with them and the carry is further. With my speed of 125+, the peak height is about 20' less with the Bridgestones if i remember correctly and an additional 8-9 yards of carry. Sign me up.

I put in my swing speed, and ball speed and the spreadsheet shows the Pro V1X as the longest option, with B XS, BX as 2nd and 3rd. I just bought some XV since they were buy 1, get 1, so I'll be losing 4 yards of carry according to the spreadsheet. Looks like Pro V1X will be my ball going forward. I'll be waiting until the do the buy 3, get 4 deal later in the year. 

• Like 1

...Pmookie, just keep in mind we are not robots. We may or may not find a 4 yd difference in top tier balls. Only way to find out is to play a practice round and hit several off each tee. Maybe the XV turns out to be best for you personally. 

• Like 1

At 125 mph SS I don't know if I'd be picking my ball based solely off of distance anyways. Hard to say for sure since I'm maxing out at 108 on a good day. However, if a ball did everything else I wanted it to do, and I lost 12' in distance, I'd probably be fine with it. Big ____ Problems I guess?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chisag said:

...Pmookie, just keep in mind we are not robots. We may or may not find a 4 yd difference in top tier balls. Only way to find out is to play a practice round and hit several off each tee. Maybe the XV turns out to be best for you personally. 

Word!

Well, then why look at data? So, just don’t use the info...

Ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/21/2019 at 4:44 PM, PMookie said:

I put in my swing speed, and ball speed and the spreadsheet shows the Pro V1X as the longest option, with B XS, BX as 2nd and 3rd. I just bought some XV since they were buy 1, get 1, so I'll be losing 4 yards of carry according to the spreadsheet. Looks like Pro V1X will be my ball going forward. I'll be waiting until the do the buy 3, get 4 deal later in the year. 

Quick question, when you edited the spreadsheet, what did you change? The "drive data tab" just has the parent data and the other tab is the one to change. All you should have done was change your swing speed in the one cell I had highlighted. The whole table is screwed up now. It was built off the MGS robot data, now it's a table built off nothing.

I changed sheet 2 back to the original conditions. ONLY CHANGE THE NEW CLUB SPEED UNDER THE INTERPRETED DATA SECTION! BX is now back to King of carry over the ProV1x

Edited by DJLookalike
Typo

On 6/19/2019 at 9:39 PM, PMookie said:

I tried to copy it, but said it’s “view only”...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Someone didn't read the instructions.  

the Tour BX/bxs and the pro v are the best balls ive used this year...the TP5/x are not that impressive. just a ball.....

tour bx flies far just like the titleist but the titleist is the perfect all around ball, especially around the greens

On 6/19/2019 at 5:59 PM, DJLookalike said:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-klxlAqBcDo0eBqhXFbVKmE6Uf8RzbCt0Kyq_-rxwS4/edit?ts=5d0aafdc#gid=1712477298

BOOM! Thanks for the tip!

To use:

Go to the second tab of the sheet and enter you desired club speed and everything will extrapolate from there. You can add more balls to the table using the MGS data. I only entered balls that i was interested in comparing.

Thanks again!

There’s a lot of data in the file. What I’m wondering is you have it so you change the club head speed. So in this file, anyone who has a SS of 100 will receive the same data, is that correct? 

On 6/30/2019 at 2:31 PM, Kor.A.Door said:

There’s a lot of data in the file. What I’m wondering is you have it so you change the club head speed. So in this file, anyone who has a SS of 100 will receive the same data, is that correct? 

Correct. Should only have to change the club speed. The columns that are blacked out are the linear equations derived from the 85 and 115 club speed. The table to the right i have a cell highlighted with you desired club speed. 

Who watched the #noputtsgiven episode yesterday?

I found it fascinating to hear that there is a chance that there are different balls in the same box for some manufacturers. I would love to know what brand/model Tony was talking about, but I assume we will find out in due time.

Tony has also been saying for a while (and if you look back in this thread, so have I) that the manufacturers that control more aspects of the process will have the more consistent ball. Bridgestone and Sumitomo (Srixon) are also in the polymer production business so theoretically control all of the process. I'm willing to bet Titleist buys some polymer, but have no idea if they have any production capability, but the quality of the material going in to a mixer controls the quality of the material that comes out. I assume the Titleist name likely gives them more negotiating power when it comes to setting specs for materials they purchase.

Where does that leave the Snells/Vices/OnCores/Kirklands?

Any other thoughts stick out in your mind?

• Like 3

... Some of us have been saying this for quite awhile now. Don't play used balls or water balls or cheap balls or DTC balls because you have no idea what kind of quality they really are. Personally, I do not trust any of the DTC balls with the exception of Snell. Dean has put in the research and with his name on his ball I can't imagine he would cut any corners. It will be interesting to hear what kind of quality Kirkland Signature balls produce as Costco usually researches/tests a product before putting the Kirkland name on it. 

... So much of the original ball test, according to Tony and his Titleist visit, bears out why some of the balls in the test performed poorly as far as dispersion or consistency. The simply have very poor quality control. An off center core will effect the ball dramatically and of course if you have 10 balls out of 12 with good QC but 2 balls out of round or suffering some other QC issue, that could be the shot you hit OB that derails your round. A bad swing produces a bad shot but the good news is maybe not as bad as it could end up being if you are playing a quality ball. So the bottom line for even high index players that think the ball won't make any difference for their game, need to rethink their position because some of their bad shots can absolutely be the ball they are playing. Why take that chance? You can always find deals on last years balls from those with the highest QC and stock up. I think the scariest thing I heard, which I had no idea before this podcast, is some of the cheaper balls when cut open had completely different materials and cores within one dozen!?!? Some 2 piece, some 3 or even 4 piece balls, all with different materials meaning the performance will be radically different for every ball. Poor quality yes, but I would have never guessed they are completely different balls in a one dozen box. 

... Lastly Tony says Titleist, Srixon and Bridgestone are to be trusted for their QC. I have been playing Z Stars and TP5x and hate to think TaylorMade is cutting corners with their QC. When you look at the men and women on tour it is easy to see Titleist, TaylorMade, Srixon and Bridgestone are the balls the pros trust. Callaway has a tour presence but we know the Pro's play a different ball than the retail version. The new Maxfli's tested well so I imagine they are included in balls you can trust. You see a few Volvik's especially on the LPGA, but Bubba playing so poorly with Volvik's and cancelling his contract is a red flag for me. I am eagerly anticipating Tony cutting balls open to test their QC in his future ball series. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, chisag said:

... Some of us have been saying this for quite awhile now. Don't play used balls or water balls or cheap balls or DTC balls because you have no idea what kind of quality they really are. Personally, I do not trust any of the DTC balls with the exception of Snell. Dean has put in the research and with his name on his ball I can't imagine he would cut any corners. It will be interesting to hear what kind of quality Kirkland Signature balls produce as Costco usually researches/tests a product before putting the Kirkland name on it. 

... Lastly Tony says Titleist, Srixon and Bridgestone are to be trusted for their QC. I have been playing Z Stars and TP5x and hate to think TaylorMade is cutting corners with their QC. When you look at the men and women on tour it is easy to see Titleist, TaylorMade, Srixon and Bridgestone are the balls the pros trust. Callaway has a tour presence but we know the Pro's play a different ball than the retail version. The new Maxfli's tested well so I imagine they are included in balls you can trust. You see a few Volvik's especially on the LPGA, but Bubba playing so poorly with Volvik's and cancelling his contract is a red flag for me. I am eagerly anticipating Tony cutting balls open to test their QC in his future ball series. 

Kirkland isn't the manufacturer of those balls.....I cant see how they would have great QC for those balls.

...and the only ball that is the same on tour as it is on the shelf is the Bridgestone, correct?

1 minute ago, Tsecor said:

Kirkland isn't the manufacturer of those balls.....I cant see how they would have great QC for those balls.

...and the only ball that is the same on tour as it is on the shelf is the Bridgestone, correct?

Srixon says theirs are the same as well 

2 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Srixon says theirs are the same as well 

nice. I should try them because they are priced right, that's for sure