Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

MGS Golf Ball Test

Golf Ball Test Results...Pre-Reveal  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Which brand do you think performs the best in MGS Golf Ball Test to be revealed Monday? (I have no idea what balls are being tested but this is my best bet)

• Bridgestone (e6, e12, Tour B X, Tour B XS, Tour B RX)
    • Callaway (Chrome Soft, Chrome Soft X, ERC Soft)
    • Cut (Red, Green, Blue, Black, Brown, Mauve, Burgundy, Candy Apple, Cyan, Golden Rod)
    • Maxfli (Tour, Tour x)
    • Mizuno (RB Tour, RB Tour X)
    • Snell (MTB Red, MTB Black, MTB X)
    • Srixon (Q Star, Z Star, Z Star XV, LGBTQ Star)
    • TaylorMade (TP5, TP5x, Project (a), Project (s))
    • Titleist (Pro V1, Pro V1x, AVX, Tour Soft, Velocity, DT TruSoft)
    • Vice (Drive, Pro, Pro Plus, Pro Soft)
    • Volvik (I don't even know if they're in the test)
    • Wilson (DUO Soft, DUO U, FG Tour)
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/29/2019 at 10:00 PM

If the Trufeel really performs close to a ProV1 at half the price, then Titleist is either insane or brilliant for releasing it. And if they've somehow found a way to get a two piece ionomer ball to perform like a 3-4 piece urethane ball, then they've blown through some walls of chemistry and physics.

Someone will revolutionize the ball industry again. I mean, we're not still playing featheries, are we? It's just a matter of when. But I'll wait for a test like MGS runs to confirm it. 

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

9 minutes ago, storm319 said:

First of all, you are taking a YouTube video of a single human playing 3 holes side by side as fact? Distance differences are more quality of strike than anything. I would not expect to see a big difference in distance for anyone other than extremely fast swing speeds. 

Next, on his first hole, he hits a mid iron from thick rough into the green and both balls landed less than a foot a part. The ProV1 held the green vs TruFeel rolling off the green and into the rough leaving him short sided with a difficult chip vs a putt. For the average golfer, that difference could mean 1-2 strokes. 

If if you watch other videos of similar tests, you find similar full shot spin rates but still struggled with runout on shorter shots with the ionomer covered balls (RS compared both Chromesoft balls vs the Supersoft a while ago and saw very similar  full wedge spin rates on GCQuad but noticeably longer rollout on the course). There will be some human tests showing little difference and some showing a huge difference but there are way too many variables at play to definitively say that this 2-piece ball performs the same as a multilayer urethane ball.

Ultimately, play what works best for your game. If you are hitting a high percentage of GIR and play courses with relatively soft greens, you are probably fine with a 2-piece ionomer ball. However, if you miss a lot of greens and play on firm/fast greens, you may appreciate the urethane cover greenside. 

Lastly, people need to stop using cost as a prohibitive excuse for not playing a multilayer urethane ball. Relative to the past, there are options at very reasonable prices as well as opportunities to stock up on good deals to the point where there is no excuse any longer (I got 5 dozen Srixon ZStars for $7 / dozen at Walmart earlier this year, you just need to keep your eyes peeled).

All great points.  I agree with most of them.  And like i said, in “INITIAL on course testing” Its similar.  So imo a ball half the price that performs similar is worth a look For most amateurs.  Id take a test like robinsons over robotic testing Only because ill never hit it like a robot and i only hit my driver 20% of the time during a round.   Like i said, i agree with u and i also stand by my point of this ball is performing surprisingly well in comparison to the prov1 (Which i play)

Golf is cool

8 minutes ago, HardcoreLooper said:

If the Trufeel really performs close to a ProV1 at half the price, then Titleist is either insane or brilliant for releasing it. And if they've somehow found a way to get a two piece ionomer ball to perform like a 3-4 piece urethane ball, then they've blown through some walls of chemistry and physics.

Someone will revolutionize the ball industry again. I mean, we're not still playing featheries, are we? It's just a matter of when. But I'll wait for a test like MGS runs to confirm it. 

Its not going to.  Ionomer never has and probably never will be able to match urethane.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

On 10/17/2019 at 8:02 AM, RickyBobby_PR said:

One of the best selling balls at course pro shops was the Nike mojo...also a ball I used to find quite frequently on courses especially ones that hosted lots of scrambles.  

Yep. My course hosts at least 15 - 20 large scrambles, and quite a few smaller scrambles during the season. There is never a lack of MOJO's laying every where...lol.

On 10/17/2019 at 10:26 AM, txgolfjunkie said:

I think you have two distinct groups of golfers and a very small third group in regards to golf balls and equipment.

Group 1 is budget conscious, always looking for a deal and will buy the lowest priced equipment they can find, regardless of performance. They probably play a multitude of 2-piece golf balls or maybe some recycled golf balls and have up to 6 different brands of clubs in their bag...not because they tested them out and are brand agnostic, it's because that particular equipment was the better deal. There's nothing wrong with being budget conscious...they'll probably never buy a new dozen of Pro V1s because they can find a cheaper ball that may or may not perform the way they want to. 

Group 2 pays top dollar because price = performance. Also, nothing wrong with this but they probably pass up some quality equipment simply because it wasn't priced as high as other equipment. Yes, this is prevalent in the golfing industry, especially with the ball market. I think it was srixon that came in $10 less than the Pro V1 when they initially launched their Z Star line and they had a hard time selling it simply because golfers equated the cheaper price to substandard performance. These folks won't buy a $25/dozen ball that performs similarly to a Pro V1 because of the price. 

Group 3 is in between. 

Golf ball manufacturers are marketing to either group 1 or group 2 which probably make up 85-90% of the golfers in this country. 

Group 4 is guys like me.... I play tour quality balls that I buy from Lost Golf Balls for a fraction of the cost of new ones.... and any I find on the course. I'm not terribly concerned that they aren't shiny new, or that they have logos on them. It doesn't really matter after you've hit them a few times.... they all look used...lol. I just can't see the sense in paying upwards of $50 for a dozen golf balls that at least half of which I will lose after 3 rounds.

I will say that there is definitely a difference in golf balls.... and I think anyone that hits the ball decently and can get around a golf course fairly well can/would/will benefit from a urethane covered ball.

Edited by silver & black

Crossfields test shows how close the two balls are as well. I think Titleist makes great balls regardless of the marketing thrown behind each model and for amateurs, the Trufeel is the poor mans Prov1

Golf is cool

Can I ask if anyone has found that with a higher swing speed, that a ball like the Velocity or a Callaway Hot really go?? I just played in a alternate shot tourney last week and my partner said we would use his ball...did think much of it we both are decent sticks, and I was shocked how far I could hit it! All shots where fire, I was almost a club longer and I can move the ball. I see the data that was presented and when I play a "soft" ball its garbage but in this case I was shocked, no hot weather to blame it on or wind the balls where just fire. It has really confused me, I play the Snell MTB-X currently. We weren't even playing all that great, but the shots where coming of my clubs super hot.  

On 10/19/2019 at 8:47 AM, ZenGolfer said:

Its not going to.  Ionomer never has and probably never will be able to match urethane.

No, but some ball maker will find something that changes the price-performance equation again, just like urethane did. Science doesn't stop.  

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

2 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

No, but some ball maker will find something that changes the price-performance equation again, just like urethane did. Science doesn't stop.  

I understand that Bridgestone has a ball in the makes that will be a significant change along that line.  Don't recall the details.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

6 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Is it called the Ballson DeChamball?

Brilliant, quality post from Shankster here. That's all I have to add to this budget v. non-budget discussion because I still get spiffs from working in the industry and get good deals on the balls I like, so price really doesn't impact me.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

9 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

Very true but the Titleist Trufeel isnt that ball.  Ive heard that Bridgestone has something in the works that will supposedly obsolete urethane but its all rumor and speculation until it actually comes out.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Just got back from playing 5 rounds in North Carolina with 7 guys.  Ball of choice for most was the ProV/ProV1. Most said they liked they way it felt and played. One guy said he used it because it was supposed to be the best.  I had Prov and Chrome Soft with me. I played better, score wise, with the Chromesoft. I putted better with the ProV. I probably got a few extra yards with the ProV, but it wasn't much of a difference. 

The Chromesoft was softer off the putter (Duh) and I left it short as opposed to running it by. I like to use the chevron to line up my putts instead of the line on the side. I point it at the hole like an arrow. For me (59 yrs old, 8 hcp) I can easily use either.

:callaway-small: Mavrik Max, 9* 
:taylormade-small:Stealth 15* / 18*
:callaway-small: Rogue 4H, 21*
:callaway-small: Steelhead XR 5-AW 
:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore 52* / 56*
:odyssey-small: White Hot Versa Seven S , 35"
Many other putters in the bullpen waiting for call

On 10/21/2019 at 9:41 AM, Borts64 said:

Can I ask if anyone has found that with a higher swing speed, that a ball like the Velocity or a Callaway Hot really go?? I just played in a alternate shot tourney last week and my partner said we would use his ball...did think much of it we both are decent sticks, and I was shocked how far I could hit it! All shots where fire, I was almost a club longer and I can move the ball. I see the data that was presented and when I play a "soft" ball its garbage but in this case I was shocked, no hot weather to blame it on or wind the balls where just fire. It has really confused me, I play the Snell MTB-X currently. We weren't even playing all that great, but the shots where coming of my clubs super hot.  

This is pretty common, especially those 2 specific models you mention... They are distance rocks, higher speed players on average generate more spin than low speed. Those balls will spin less than pro level urethane balls. Lower spin will usually yield better launch conditions for faster swingers and get more roll out. You also arent stopping them on the green so approach shots will be longer due to roll out. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX 9* Driver

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:touredgeexotics: CBX 119 16* 2 hyb

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Tuttle / :edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

• 5 months later...