txgolfjunkie

MGS Golf Ball Test

Golf Ball Test Results...Pre-Reveal  

56 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Which brand do you think performs the best in MGS Golf Ball Test to be revealed Monday? (I have no idea what balls are being tested but this is my best bet)

• Bridgestone (e6, e12, Tour B X, Tour B XS, Tour B RX)
    • Callaway (Chrome Soft, Chrome Soft X, ERC Soft)
    • Cut (Red, Green, Blue, Black, Brown, Mauve, Burgundy, Candy Apple, Cyan, Golden Rod)
    • Maxfli (Tour, Tour x)
    • Mizuno (RB Tour, RB Tour X)
    • Snell (MTB Red, MTB Black, MTB X)
    • Srixon (Q Star, Z Star, Z Star XV, LGBTQ Star)
    • TaylorMade (TP5, TP5x, Project (a), Project (s))
    • Titleist (Pro V1, Pro V1x, AVX, Tour Soft, Velocity, DT TruSoft)
    • Vice (Drive, Pro, Pro Plus, Pro Soft)
    • Volvik (I don't even know if they're in the test)
    • Wilson (DUO Soft, DUO U, FG Tour)
    • Other

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/29/2019 at 10:00 PM

15 hours ago, jjfcpa said:

I'm going to make a prediction that what we are going to see is that many of the direct-to-consumer and other cheaper balls perform just as well as the premium overpriced balls.  That will be the big disclosure.

If that happens, will it change the ball that you play?  

I believe you are correct.  Several "numbers" guys have Youtube videos comparing Vice and Snell balls to ProV1 and others with very similar (if not identical) results.

I am already in the market for a new ball so, yes, the MGS Ball Test will be a factor in the selection process.  I can no longer get by with a non urethane ball.  I'm giving away too many strokes with wedges in my hand not being able to hold greens. 

With that said, I'm still patiently waiting!

2 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

I can hear the masses clamoring - "GIVE US THE MGS GOLF BALL REPORT"..............WE WANT THE REPORT"!!!!!!!!!!!😁

I'm waiting on this, the most wanted driver results by swing speed, AND the updated 2019 clubhead center of gravity reports.  I eagerly check the site every day in anticipation of one of these to drop and every day I'm left disappointed. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, sixcat said:

I believe you are correct.  Several "numbers" guys have Youtube videos comparing Vice and Snell balls to ProV1 and others with very similar (if not identical) results.

I am already in the market for a new ball so, yes, the MGS Ball Test will be a factor in the selection process.  I can no longer get by with a non urethane ball.  I'm giving away too many strokes with wedges in my hand not being able to hold greens. 

With that said, I'm still patiently waiting!

While I think you'll see the Direct-to-Consumer ball do well on the general launch metrics (ball speed, launch angle, spin, etc), I think we'll see some of them suffer a bit on the carry consistency, compression, and distance offline categories. Launch monitors capture a snap shot at impact but this study will show where that ball ends up with a perfect swing. I think the DTC ball companies don't have the R&D budget or the quality control processes in place like a Titleist, Bridgestone or TaylorMade. I'm hesitant to buy any other DTC ball other than snell at this point (Dean Snell is the only one with golf ball engineering background that I'm aware of) until this test comes out. Remember, Tony showed us charts showing golf balls going 20+ yards offline on the driver carry with a robot swinging the club. Imagine swinging the club perfectly only to miss the fairway. That would be disheartening. He also mentioned a wide disparity in golf ball compression in the same box of golf balls. That's QC/manufacturing carelessness and I have a hard time that came from a top ball manufacturer. Who knows...prove me wrong MGS!!

• Like 8

FYI, for those searching for news, according to OldEnglish_GSpy (Harry), they anticipate the test to drop Thursday, April 25th...pending completion of data gathering. Apparently there's a lot of data on this test and they need to get it right. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, txgolfjunkie said:

While I think you'll see the Direct-to-Consumer ball do well on the general launch metrics (ball speed, launch angle, spin, etc), I think we'll see some of them suffer a bit on the carry consistency, compression, and distance offline categories. Launch monitors capture a snap shot at impact but this study will show where that ball ends up with a perfect swing. I think the DTC ball companies don't have the R&D budget or the quality control processes in place like a Titleist, Bridgestone or TaylorMade. I'm hesitant to buy any other DTC ball other than snell at this point (Dean Snell is the only one with golf ball engineering background that I'm aware of) until this test comes out. Remember, Tony showed us charts showing golf balls going 20+ yards offline on the driver carry with a robot swinging the club. Imagine swinging the club perfectly only to miss the fairway. That would be disheartening. He also mentioned a wide disparity in golf ball compression in the same box of golf balls. That's QC/manufacturing carelessness and I have a hard time that came from a top ball manufacturer. Who knows...prove me wrong MGS!!

In the meantime, I'm going to empty my current inventory of golf balls and wait patiently. 

Seems to be a bit of a biased sentiment and solely based on perception and speculation.  I will remain patient and unbiased while waiting for the actual results to be released. 

• Like 2

I'm interested in seeing the test results too. I agree that many if not all DTC ball makers do not have proper (if any) testing equipment for ensuring what they sell or the claims they make. But, the companies they contract with to make their balls surely must have some degree of QC and or testing at their disposal. If I wanted to start selling the PJ1 or PJ1x all I'd have to do is contact a Korean mfg and request a certain type of ball. Don't you think? I'm sure these mfg's have many flavors of balls for me to choose from and at various prices. 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, PlaidJacket said:

I'm interested in seeing the test results too. I agree that many if not all DTC ball makers do not have proper (if any) testing equipment for ensuring what they sell or the claims they make. But, the companies they contract with to make their balls surely must have some degree of QC and or testing at their disposal. If I wanted to start selling the PJ1 or PJ1x all I'd have to do is contact a Korean mfg and request a certain type of ball. Don't you think? I'm sure these mfg's have many flavors of balls for me to choose from and at various prices. 

That's my whole point.  The Kirkland Signature ball provided us with clear evidence that these balls are manufactured in the exact same facilities as Titleist, Bridgestone, TaylorMade and others.  Why else would Titleist attempt to sue Costco for stamping a ProV with the Kirkland Signature logo?  Vice and Snell aren't building their on manufacturing facilities before going to market with a line of golf balls.  They are buying them from the same manufacturers as Costco and Titleist.

With that said, Tony also indicated on social media while teasing #MostWantedGolfBall that results have been eye opening.  A little known "direct to consumer" golf ball with underwhelming performance wouldn't be "eye opening."  Titleist or Bridgestone being underwhelming would be!

Again, I think I will patiently wait for the results and try to remain as unbiased as I possibly can.

• Like 2

On 4/19/2019 at 7:30 PM, Thin2win said:

Have you tried them yet? I got some of their 6 piece balls last year on clearance, the cover was odd. It claimed urethane heritage, but it was pure XL 7000 feeling. 

... Yup, bought some of the U6 and gave them to my son. Hated the feel and found it XL Top Flite'ish too. Hardst feeling urethane ball I ever played. But the new Maxfli Tour X is just outstanding in performance and feel. In fact the Maxfli Tour X performs and feels very similar to my favorite ball, the TP5x so I picked up 4 for $100. One of the dozen is Matte White that I will give to my son. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Yup, bought some of the U6 and gave them to my son. Hated the feel and found it XL Top Flite'ish too. Hardst feeling urethane ball I ever played. But the new Maxfli Tour X is just outstanding in performance and feel. In fact the Maxfli Tour X performs and feels very similar to my favorite ball, the TP5x so I picked up 4 for $100. One of the dozen is Matte White that I will give to my son. 

Good to know, that will put them right there with the Snell and Vice at that price point. Will have to take a closer look at them.... If only there was a ball test coming out soon that would put some data analytics to golf balls.  Do you know if anyone has ever thought about doing that kind of test? I imagine it would be eagerly anticipated and if you leaked small snipets of data out about it you could really hype it up...🤔😀😂

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MaxEntropy said:

Have you bought any MTB-X's yet?

No and I'm conflicted between them and the Blacks. I'm ordering 5 dozen next week in Optic yellow but the blacks are back ordered until about mid May. So I may just be getting the X's because of availability.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Thin2win said:

Good to know, that will put them right there with the Snell and Vice at that price point. Will have to take a closer look at them.... If only there was a ball test coming out soon that would put some data analytics to golf balls.  Do you know if anyone has ever thought about doing that kind of test? I imagine it would be eagerly anticipated and if you leaked small snipets of data out about it you could really hype it up...🤔😀😂

... I don't need a test to tell me how good the Maxfli Tour X performs and feels. Or the Snell Black or TP5x. But like everyone else here, I am very interested to see how all the other balls stack up to my 3 favorites. Especially the new Snell MTB-X! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

That's my whole point.  The Kirkland Signature ball provided us with clear evidence that these balls are manufactured in the exact same facilities as Titleist, Bridgestone, TaylorMade and others.  Why else would Titleist attempt to sue Costco for stamping a ProV with the Kirkland Signature logo?  Vice and Snell aren't building their on manufacturing facilities before going to market with a line of golf balls.  They are buying them from the same manufacturers as Costco and Titleist.

With that said, Tony also indicated on social media while teasing #MostWantedGolfBall that results have been eye opening.  A little known "direct to consumer" golf ball with underwhelming performance wouldn't be "eye opening."  Titleist or Bridgestone being underwhelming would be!

Again, I think I will patiently wait for the results and try to remain as unbiased as I possibly can.

In my mind, one of the more important aspects involves the supply chain. In a perfect world, the company who controls more aspects of the supply chain/manufacturing should end up with more uniform balls. Where do all these companies get their polymers/rubber? In the case of Bridgestone and Srixon, I would guess they control more of the process just because of the type of business their parent companies are (SRI in Srixon = Sumitomo Rubber Industries) and Bridgestone is the largest tire company in the world. They likely make their raw polymers or have very tight controls on the sources (by virtue of the total volumes the parents may order), whereas others may be dependent on other companies to provide raw polymers or even pre-mixed rubber compounds where how much you pay determines how wide the tolerances are for the material you get.

If my thinking is correct, I would expect Bridgestone and Srixon to have the lowest dispersion, the DTC's to have to highest, and Titleist, TM, and Callaway to be somewhere in between. Notice I'm purely talking about dispersion, not distance, speed, etc. Tolerances/uniformity should determine dispersion; rubber formulation, construction, and dimples should determine speed and distance.

It's also possible that a company may have super tight tolerances on their materials but have some sloppy manufacturing, but I'm assuming they are all pretty careful when comes time to make a ball from whatever material they have.

I could be wrong, though. It's happened before and it will likely happen again. 😉

Maybe Dick's will take Most Wanted with the Maxfli brand? That would be a shock - a store brand taking two important categories in putter and ball?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MattF said:

No and I'm conflicted between them and the Blacks. I'm ordering 5 dozen next week in Optic yellow but the blacks are back ordered until about mid May. So I may just be getting the X's because of availability.

I'm conflicted, too. If the X's are sort of an improved Red, count me in, but I still very much want to try the Blacks.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chisag said:

... I don't need a test to tell me how good the Maxfli Tour X performs and feels. Or the Snell Black or TP5x. But like everyone else here, I am very interested to see how all the other balls stack up to my 3 favorites. Especially the new Snell MTB-X! 

I think the comparison will be very interesting. I always assumed that most balls went about the same because... why wouldn't they? But earlier this year I did a ball review(master ball review thread)on a ball that is billed as a premium ball, and my driver distance with it was abysmal. I couldn't really explain why, but I got nothing out of it. So while I am curious to see what the dispersion of balls are, I will no longer be surprised with significant distance differences between some of them.

• Like 2

I can’t wait to see the results. I would be surprised if the Pro V line was far from the top based on what they’ve shown for QC processes (not that I’ve audited them) but I am curious to see who’s on top! I will certainly try that ball and others on the top.

The big shocker would be to see that exotic Rangé brand towards the top.

I just pray that the top performing balls also feel good to hit. Can you imagine if the results were that the old Pinnacle rocks were the best performing ball?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, sixcat said:

... Fwiw, Titleist sues practically everyone. The Kirkland Signature is nothing like the ProV1, although according to Titleist they do involve some of their patents. But again, Titleist has sued just about every ball oem for patent infringement. Titleist is kind of like the bully on the school yard and most other oems do not have the financial backing to go toe to toe with Titleist so they often settle. I believe Taylor Made and Callaway did exactly that. But Costco has more than enough financial firepower and didn't back down. I imagine if there were more Signatures available, Costco would not hesitate to release them. But they are not interested in golf ball manufacturing and make the bulk of their money off subscriptions. 

• Like 7

I still have 3 dozen Snell Black and a dozen Taylor Made TP5X balls before I have to worry about buying new balls....so I'm good 🙂

• Like 2

Teaser from MGS Twitter feed.

GOLF BALL TEST TAKEAWAY #1

A soft ball is a slow ball, it’s that simple.

• Like 4

Teaser from MGS Twitter feed.

GOLF BALL TEST TAKEAWAY #1

A soft ball is a slow ball, it’s that simple.

What’s the over under on the # of takeaways before we get the full article?

I’m going to guess 7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

I was going to run out this morning to DGS to buy a doz TM, but may hold off a day if the report is coming out tomorrow.