Jump to content
txgolfjunkie

MGS Golf Ball Test

Golf Ball Test Results...Pre-Reveal  

56 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Which brand do you think performs the best in MGS Golf Ball Test to be revealed Monday? (I have no idea what balls are being tested but this is my best bet)

    • Bridgestone (e6, e12, Tour B X, Tour B XS, Tour B RX)
      11
    • Callaway (Chrome Soft, Chrome Soft X, ERC Soft)
      1
    • Cut (Red, Green, Blue, Black, Brown, Mauve, Burgundy, Candy Apple, Cyan, Golden Rod)
      0
    • Maxfli (Tour, Tour x)
      0
    • Mizuno (RB Tour, RB Tour X)
      0
    • Snell (MTB Red, MTB Black, MTB X)
      11
    • Srixon (Q Star, Z Star, Z Star XV, LGBTQ Star)
      4
    • TaylorMade (TP5, TP5x, Project (a), Project (s))
      8
    • Titleist (Pro V1, Pro V1x, AVX, Tour Soft, Velocity, DT TruSoft)
      15
    • Vice (Drive, Pro, Pro Plus, Pro Soft)
      5
    • Volvik (I don't even know if they're in the test)
      0
    • Wilson (DUO Soft, DUO U, FG Tour)
      0
    • Other
      1

  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/29/2019 at 10:00 PM

Recommended Posts

It should also be noted that plenty of companies who aren't in the business of manufacturing their own product often still have their own engineers. Those engineers exist to ensure that the expectations of a contract are met on a highly technical level.

It's not to say that Vice is on the level with their marketing claims, but it's still within the realm of possibility that they are. The only way to know with certainty is to see a list of names and patents. Vice may have that, they may not. Right now it's in their best interest not to disclose information either way.

This also leads me to a separate (though not entirely) point. Has anyone noticed how hard Vice is trolling MGS right now? They commented in a different post with the discount code "MYGOLFSPY". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Are you saying the guy with a beanie in 90* heat on a golf course doing their commercials isn't chemically or aerodynamically engineering their golf balls? No commercials turn me off more to a product than Vice, with the exception of Parsons and PXG.  

 

2 minutes ago, jlukes said:

But Golf Digest gave them 5 Stars for Performance and Innovation!

Having support from Golf Digest can only mean one thing............they got PAID!!!!!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, TR1PTIK said:

It should also be noted that plenty of companies who aren't in the business of manufacturing their own product often still have their own engineers. Those engineers exist to ensure that the expectations of a contract are met on a highly technical level.

It's not to say that Vice is on the level with their marketing claims, but it's still within the realm of possibility that they are. The only way to know with certainty is to see a list of names and patents. Vice may have that, they may not. Right now it's in their best interest not to disclose information either way.

This also leads me to a separate (though not entirely) point. Has anyone noticed how hard Vice is trolling MGS right now? They commented in a different post with the discount code "MYGOLFSPY". 

That's exactly what Tony said yesterday:  Show me the patents.

And Vice has always tried to position themselves as some sort of alternative/hipster golf company.  We don't conform to your perception of golf companies! Screw the establishment!

MGS, a former ally, is now the establishment.  They'll try to use this negative news to further their cause.  It's how most top politicians would operate - they are invigorating their base of alternative golfers

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope it's understood that I'm mostly just playing devil's advocate in this discussion. My original confusion about the MGS post and continued discussion simply stems from the fact that if you're going to start something, you'd better finish it too. If Vice is really doing the consumer harm, then get to the bottom of it and provide us with present-day objective evidence. Otherwise, the only real wrong I see is the use of some very loosely defined terms to describe the way their golf balls are brought to fruition which is not all that uncommon from the way some of the major OEMs represent year-over-year improvements in equipment.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, TR1PTIK said:

I hope it's understood that I'm mostly just playing devil's advocate in this discussion. My original confusion about the MGS post and continued discussion simply stems from the fact that if you're going to start something, you'd better finish it too. If Vice is really doing the consumer harm, then get to the bottom of it and provide us with present-day objective evidence. Otherwise, the only real wrong I see is the use of some very loosely defined terms to describe the way their golf balls are brought to fruition which is not all that uncommon from the way some of the major OEMs represent year-over-year improvements in equipment.

I don't believe anyone is suggesting Vice is doing the consumer harm.  As mentioned earlier, Tony even stated in the video the balls performed very well in the MGS Ball Testing.  

I also feel like it should be noted, MGS is a business looking to get viewership to return time and time again.  They likely know and have determined far more at this point than they have released to us, the viewer.  I would suspect much of your concern with "opening the book and leaving it open" will be answered in the coming weeks and months.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, sixcat said:

I don't believe anyone is suggesting Vice is doing the consumer harm.  As mentioned earlier, Tony even stated in the video the balls performed very well in the MGS Ball Testing.  

I also feel like it should be noted, MGS is a business looking to get viewership to return time and time again.  They likely know and have determined far more at this point than they have released to us, the viewer.  I would suspect much of your concern with "opening the book and leaving it open" will be answered in the coming weeks and months.

Those are kind of my thoughts as well, but I'm impatient sometimes lol.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, sixcat said:

I don't believe anyone is suggesting Vice is doing the consumer harm.  As mentioned earlier, Tony even stated in the video the balls performed very well in the MGS Ball Testing.  

I also feel like it should be noted, MGS is a business looking to get viewership to return time and time again.  They likely know and have determined far more at this point than they have released to us, the viewer.  I would suspect much of your concern with "opening the book and leaving it open" will be answered in the coming weeks and months.

The Titleist lawsuit is from 2015 and already settled out of court, correct?  

Edited by pilot25

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, pilot25 said:

The Titleist lawsuit is from 2015 and already settled out of court, correct?  

I believe so, yes.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw the post from MGS last night. Looks like another Foremost 3-pc cast urethane golf ball found its way into a sleeve of Maxfli's. I was a little skeptical at first simply because it was just a photo of the internals posted to social media by some seemingly random user, but I looked up the account and he also had more photos and a video to share. So, this may be the first real evidence available that shows Vice does not have exclusivity on the Foremost ball. It's still remotely possible there could be some sort of an explanation, but not likely. This is definitely what I was looking for yesterday. Doesn't mean I'll be doing anything different with my current stock of Vice Pros, but it could cause a switch for next season.

In other news, I cut up most of that tub of balls last night. There were really only a couple of interesting finds, but I''ll be sure to post pictures and video of everything when I get a chance. The most intriguing finds were from Taylormade. First with two different versions of a 2-pc Burner ball that looked identical internally, and second with a Lethal and Penta that look nearly identical (only a slight change in color on one of the layers). I don't know much about the history of Taylormade balls so not sure where everything falls into place on a timeline, but I'm sure the spy community can assist with that. Hopefully, I'll have time to gather pics and video tonight or tomorrow. Also, I saved a few gems that should be good for a little entertainment. I'll share more if it pans out the way I think it will.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, sixcat said:

I believe so, yes.  

Well then I'm a little shocked, ok I'm not shocked, to see they post this litigation as current.  Their picture on the podcast even cuts off the bottom of the document which displays the date.  Misleading and seems a bit dishonest.

I like some of the things that come out of MGS but more and more there are undertones that they are pushing something that isn't there.

Edited by pilot25

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Well then I'm a little shocked, ok I'm not shocked, to see they post this litigation as current.  Their picture on the podcast even cuts off the bottom of the document which displays the date.  Misleading and seems a bit dishonest.
I like some of the things that come out of MGS but more and more there are undertones that they are pushing something that isn't there.


Within the first 3 minutes of the MGS video, Tony Covey says “the lawsuit Titleist bright against several smaller golf ball companies several years ago.....”

Claiming MGS is being dishonest in claiming this “litigation is current” is quite the bold statement.

Did you even watch the video?




Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

If you have never dealt with a legal case they can take many years.  This case wasn't current and settled and was reported as such by MGS in 2015.  This whole video is a regurgitation of yesterdays news.

I watched the video twice and sorry I missed the half a second statement of, "several years ago...."  Doesn't change the fact the entire video is misleading as today's information.   More MGS just riling the masses of people, like me, who don't follow golf equipment every second of the day.  Just trying to make sure I'm getting value for my money not reading/watching some story from yesteryear passed off as news.

Really, the whole thing is about off brands of balls, no one has ever heard of, sucking.  Well, no kidding.  

Edited by pilot25

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, pilot25 said:

If you have never dealt with a legal case they can take many years.  This case wasn't current and settled and was reported as such by MGS in 2015.  This whole video is a regurgitation of yesterdays news.

I watched the video twice and sorry I missed the half a second statement of, "several years ago...."  Doesn't change the fact the entire video is misleading as today's information.   More MGS just riling the masses of people, like me, who don't follow golf equipment every second of the day.  Just trying to make sure I'm getting value for my money not reading/watching some story from yesteryear passed off as news.

Really, the whole thing is about off brands of balls, no one has ever heard of, sucking.  Well, no kidding.  

Hold on tight for the ride. There may be some well known brands that will open people’s eyes 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, pilot25 said:

If you have never dealt with a legal case they can take many years.  This case wasn't current and settled and was reported as such by MGS in 2015.  This whole video is a regurgitation of yesterdays news.

I watched the video twice and sorry I missed the half a second statement of, "several years ago...."  Doesn't change the fact the entire video is misleading as today's information.   More MGS just riling the masses of people, like me, who don't follow golf equipment every second of the day.  Just trying to make sure I'm getting value for my money not reading/watching some story from yesteryear passed off as news.

Really, the whole thing is about off brands of balls, no one has ever heard of, sucking.  Well, no kidding.  

I'm in a business where people see dollar signs every time our project signs go up.  You're not explaining anything to me I haven't been through over a 25 year career.  Been deposed so often, the local attorney's are on a first name basis with my office and are my frequent playing partners on the golf course afterward.

This specific litigation may be yesterday's news but companies are still selling the same exact balls from this litigation today.  By definition, that makes this situation very relevant today!  As @RickyBobby_PRsaid, hold on tight because some bigger name companies are also selling this same ball.  Does the ball on the right below look familiar?  "Foremost" anyone!?!?!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@sixcat has it right. The image he posted is what I was talking about yesterday. It's also possible some of the examples in my possession could be noteworthy as well. I should have time tonight to grab some pictures and/or video.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When a company like FGM is manufacturing multiple different cores at one time, it's not really that surprising that occasionally (or even more than occasionally), one of those cores will end up in the wrong pile and get covered by the wrong cover. For someone like Vice, or Maxfli, or any of the other brands that depend on FGM for 100% of the manufacturing; they have no way of knowing for certain if the core in the ball is what it's supposed to be.

Taylor Made (who I believe is just ordering cores) has an easier time because you can obviously reject one if the outer layer of the core is wrong (of course if they messed up an inner layer they're SOL).

Frankly, I'd be more shocked if this never happened than by it happening. The only real question is how prevalent is it. Do 1 out 12 Maxfili/Vice/etc balls have the wrong core? Is it 1 out of 100? 1 out of 1000?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, arbeck said:

When a company like FGM is manufacturing multiple different cores at one time, it's not really that surprising that occasionally (or even more than occasionally), one of those cores will end up in the wrong pile and get covered by the wrong cover. For someone like Vice, or Maxfli, or any of the other brands that depend on FGM for 100% of the manufacturing; they have no way of knowing for certain if the core in the ball is what it's supposed to be.

Taylor Made (who I believe is just ordering cores) has an easier time because you can obviously reject one if the outer layer of the core is wrong (of course if they messed up an inner layer they're SOL).

Frankly, I'd be more shocked if this never happened than by it happening. The only real question is how prevalent is it. Do 1 out 12 Maxfili/Vice/etc balls have the wrong core? Is it 1 out of 100? 1 out of 1000?

I do agree with this point and it is the one reason why I stipulated there could still be a reasonable explanation. I've spent the last decade of my life in manufacturing and although the products we make have to adhere to very high levels of quality (for use in space, defense, & medical), there are still mishaps. It's just part of it unfortunately.

On the flip side, FGM doesn't appear to make any 4 or 5-pc golf balls according to their website.... 🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did anyone here think that Costco was making their own golf balls? That somehow they decided to hire the required engineers and design something from scratch. I think we all knew that that partnered with a manufacturer to get their logo on a ball. 

And I don't think we minded, it is /was a great ball, and a really great value. If Vice, Cut, Snell or any of the other DTC brands are engineering or just providing a golf ball, I really don't mind. The balls they are selling perform at a pretty high level. And they provide them at a nice price point. 

Do I think it is disingenuous to claim that they engineered them? Yes, but do I think that nearly every claim the big players in golf equipment make is also misleading... Yep, it's marketing. 

At the end of the day, performance and value are my decision makers. 

I played the Rife V-Motion for 2 years, thought it was a great ball. Knowing that it is the same as the Vice Pro, I might actual be more likely to play them now. Heck, if I could find a monsta ball I'd play that. And if the DSG balls turn out to be that ball as well, great because it preforms. 

The QC issues that probably exist, ie two different cores in the same wrapper, are probably very low rates, and probably non existent with titiest, srixon and Bridgestone. If that is your outrage, wow, but stick to the big guys. 

The biggest thing I got from the ball test is that the big boys have access to better manufacturing tolerances. I bought some MTB-X after the test, knowing that there performance was what I was looking for, not because of the driver numbers, but because of their high iron and wedge spin where I need help. I float balanced them, and play them with no hesitation. If price wasn't a factor, I'd play a srixon or Bridgestone. But it is, so Vice, Snell and Costco are good choices for me. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

... I really, really wish people would stop lumping Snell in with Vice, Cut, etc. Dean deserves more respect than companies that buy balls from a catalog. 

Edited by chisag
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I really, really wish people would stop lumping Snell in with Vice, Cut, etc. Dean deserves more respect than companies that buy ball rom a catalog. 

couldn't agree MORE .... there's a DTC ball company and then there's Snell golf.

Dean Snell has the pedigree that none NONE of these other DTC companies have:

 

Prior to his work in the golf industry, Snell spent time with BF Goodrich in its Aerospace and Defense Division where he worked on F-14 and F-15 fighter jets.[4] He joined Titleist in the late 1980s and developed a number of patents for the company, including for the Pro V1.[4] Snell worked for Titleist for seven years.[2]

Snell left Titleist in 1996 and went to work for TaylorMade where he was vice president of golf ball research and development.[3] When he joined the company, it only had one golf ball patent and no one assigned to ball research and development.[4] He was given freedom within the company which grew to approximately 60 research and developers by 2006. During his time there, he designed the TaylorMade TP golf ball which was used on the PGA Tour by players such as Sergio García and Justin Rose.[4] He left the company in 2014.[3]

After leaving TaylorMade, Snell began designing his own golf ball line under his new company Snell Golf.[1]

 

And his Snell balls are fantastic.... 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...