txgolfjunkie

MGS Golf Ball Test

Golf Ball Test Results...Pre-Reveal  

56 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Which brand do you think performs the best in MGS Golf Ball Test to be revealed Monday? (I have no idea what balls are being tested but this is my best bet)

• Bridgestone (e6, e12, Tour B X, Tour B XS, Tour B RX)
    • Callaway (Chrome Soft, Chrome Soft X, ERC Soft)
    • Cut (Red, Green, Blue, Black, Brown, Mauve, Burgundy, Candy Apple, Cyan, Golden Rod)
    • Maxfli (Tour, Tour x)
    • Mizuno (RB Tour, RB Tour X)
    • Snell (MTB Red, MTB Black, MTB X)
    • Srixon (Q Star, Z Star, Z Star XV, LGBTQ Star)
    • TaylorMade (TP5, TP5x, Project (a), Project (s))
    • Titleist (Pro V1, Pro V1x, AVX, Tour Soft, Velocity, DT TruSoft)
    • Vice (Drive, Pro, Pro Plus, Pro Soft)
    • Volvik (I don't even know if they're in the test)
    • Wilson (DUO Soft, DUO U, FG Tour)
    • Other

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/29/2019 at 10:00 PM

5 hours ago, jp410 said:

After the last post by MSG I cut open my chromesoft, ERC and Chromesoft X and found no problems with balls at all. I posted on the site my findings and noticed it was taken down. ???? I went out cut some additional balls and found no problems. I would hope they would also post the inperfections of other brands and not just call out Callaway. Also do some more cuts on Callaway balls and see what results they get. I am totally confused. I also did like you and spun my chromesoft and found they balanced really well.

Can you be more specific about where you posted and what.   You just say the site.  That's very generic.  

• Like 6

18 hours ago, jp410 said:

After the last post by MSG I cut open my chromesoft, ERC and Chromesoft X and found no problems with balls at all. I posted on the site my findings and noticed it was taken down. ???? I went out cut some additional balls and found no problems. I would hope they would also post the inperfections of other brands and not just call out Callaway. Also do some more cuts on Callaway balls and see what results they get. I am totally confused. I also did like you and spun my chromesoft and found they balanced really well.

MGS and their followers have posted findings with pictures from over a dozen different golf ball brands with the hashtag #FindItCutIt on both Twitter and Instagram. 

I completely disagree with the insinuation that anyone is picking on Callaway.   I will, however, concede that Callaway seems to be a repetitive offender!

• Like 7

I might have to get busy X-raying some balls. I haven't got an X-ray machine at home, but I certainly do at work. @GolfSpy_X inspired me on the last No Putts Given. I'll have to do some playing with exposures to maximise available subject contrast between layers. Hopefully there is enough difference in density to clearly demonstrate the core, outer layers might be to difficult to demonstrate.

• Like 6

Question time. If it has been shown, that higher compression core yields more distance, does anyone know what the theoretical highest compression that you could play? I see those dunlop 150 compression balls, I've never looked to see if they are confirming. But most of the balls tested were around 110, is that due to hitting the limit for confirming ball speed, or is that due to playability? 

52 minutes ago, Thin2win said:

Question time. If it has been shown, that higher compression core yields more distance, does anyone know what the theoretical highest compression that you could play? I see those dunlop 150 compression balls, I've never looked to see if they are confirming. But most of the balls tested were around 110, is that due to hitting the limit for confirming ball speed, or is that due to playability? 

There's a law of diminishing returns here. The higher compression tour balls can't be over compressed by the people with the fastest swing speeds out there, so there's no reason going firmer. It's reaching the compression limit that causes the softer balls to slow down. An 85 MPH swinger won't lose ball speed on almost any ball. And the firm balls today don't lose speed for 125+ guys. Maybe if we start seeing a ton people with 130+ swing speeds, the ball will need to firm up. But I'm not holding my breath for that to happen.

• Like 3

On 4/5/2019 at 11:45 AM, txgolfjunkie said:

I don't know if many of you follow Tony (@GolfSpyT) on twitter but he's been blowing it up with the golf ball test. Needless to say, this test is going to really help in golf ball selection and prove that there are some SIGNIFICANT differences in golf balls out there. I, for one, find this test more useful for my game than the most wanted putter or driver.

Look at the iron test...this is average carry and dispersion (sorry, I'm trying to figure out how to embed his charts on twitter):

https://twitter.com/GolfSpyT/status/1114139033238736897

549026389_MGSTOny.png.154c4465198f74ec816cd8b488575b0b.png

You have one golf ball carrying 189...and another 203.5!! 14 yard difference...that's an entire club! 

In other tweets, he mentions:

• The fastest golf ball off the driver (115mph swing speed) is the Snell MTB X.
  • There's also a 5.5mph difference in golf balls among fast driver speeds (115mph)...that's a huge difference in carry yardage given all the other launch variables are consistent. 
  • Some of the golf balls are flying 40yds offline off the driver...and this is a robot swinging the club. Even with a perfect swing, your golf ball could cause you to miss the fairway...tell me if that doesn't mess with your head. 

Also, he's mentioned a lot about playing just one ball and sticking to it. While I never really thought about it, after seeing the charts he's posted, I'm ready to make a 6 dozen purchase of whatever ball fits my game and play it only from here on out. Case in point: I used to switch from TP5X in the spring/summer/fall months to a Snell MTB Black in the winter time but then when I would switch back to the TP5X, all my approach shots were flying the green. All my carry yardages, especially on the irons, had to be retrained. 

Thanks MGS...and thanks Tony for posting these snippets on twitter. 

I am a new player in golf. I need some best gall ball.so I searched on the internet best golf ball for beginners. I've found many posts, a post is really helpful for me which is
can you please tell me that is this good or bad? though it looks nice to me. 
& please help me with your suggestion. 
Thanks. 

First #finditxrayit done

Callaway ERC Soft, new in box

IMG_0561.PNG.c364186623a0b7c94997274233374587.PNG

Seems to be lots of higher density imperfections, cores look a little inconsistent but this may be a technical issue. I’ll add more as I do them.
It’s an interesting technical challenge, I might have to write a paper

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

This......is....AWESOME!!!!!!

• Like 2

So this is a question perhaps more so for Tony and the other MGS staff who were present for the ball test with the robot.

When you observed the balls that flew 30-40yds offline, what did the ball flight actually look like? Was it more of a smooth continuous curve, or something really freaky (like we see in range balls that are badly worn sometimes).

I guess my purpose for asking is this, is there a peculiar looking flight characteristic of a ball that is seriously out of whack or does it just look like a big slice, hook, push slice, etc (otherwise indiscernible to someone, such that they might think they hit the shot that badly).

It may have already been asked/answered, so apologies in advance. From the video put out on Youtube, I seem to just remember Tony saying that it just went crazy offline.

• Like 1

Srixon Zstar 2017, new

IMG_0563.PNG.591365ba734b0d4c75cff65c9949f343.PNG

Much less density difference, much less high density material

It took me a moment to remember that you were talking earlier about x-raying some balls, and this is just awesome!

This has been a fun and VERY informative thread, but this took it to a whole new level. Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 3

First #finditxrayit done

Callaway ERC Soft, new in box

IMG_0561.PNG.c364186623a0b7c94997274233374587.PNG

Seems to be lots of higher density imperfections, cores look a little inconsistent but this may be a technical issue. I’ll add more as I do them.
It’s an interesting technical challenge, I might have to write a paper

And the BEST part is now, THEY GLOW!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, PMookie said:

And the BEST part is now, THEY GLOW!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I might have to get @Kenny B to give you some physics lessons😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I played the Duo Professional for the first time yesterday after winning some via Twitter. They weren't a bad ball at all (I shot 1 higher than my last round, which I used a Q Star Tour) but they also just felt a bit dead to me. Both balls are rated "fair" in the test however I noticed a bit less check around the greens with the Duo Professional. 

I really need to get my hands on the MTB Black to try them out. 

• Like 1

A few more #finditxrayit
Titleist Pro V1
IMG_0566.PNG.5fdfc32986f514a39f0a70d5f4f6adbf.PNG
Callaway Chrome Soft
IMG_0572.PNG.499fef6bf366040f5abc9d5288562834.PNG

Titleist Velocity
IMG_0569.PNG.c963c5cdb4efe29572d204bb539c09a1.PNG
Wilson Duo Soft
IMG_0570.PNG.f1e8e2de07b5381bef189d357d13dd7b.PNG
Titleist Pro V1X
IMG_0567.PNG.c8db94d10a15dd31ebf17f6a04e95e1e.PNG

IMG_0568.PNG.2d244dfb9b26f911f818daadc4853e8b.PNG
Found my first obvious off centre core, surprisingly the Titleist Pro V1X. I included the measurements to provide a bit more information. It looks bad, but in reality the core is only 1mm off centre. I plan on putting this ball into play (during a practice round) once I get my swing going.
High density "impurities " seem to be more common in cheaper balls, although so far it's a very small sample.

I'll work through my shag bag to try to find some more to have a look at. 4 piece balls certainly look more interesting, and are probably technically more difficult to manufacture to tight tolerances.

I was wondering if you we’re going to to measure the core’s centeredness!! Great job!

Can you measure if the core in that bottom Callaway is smaller than the others? Perhaps it is an optical illusion.

The Titleist definitely look pure in terms of material density.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ChasingScratch said:

I was wondering if you we’re going to to measure the core’s centeredness!! Great job!

Can you measure if the core in that bottom Callaway is smaller than the others? Perhaps it is an optical illusion.

The Titleist definitely look pure in terms of material density.

I'll have another look at the Chrome Soft, it may be geometrical distortion, unlikely as the source-object distance was very long especially compared to the size of a ball. 

The 2 views of the Pro V1X are at 90 degrees to each other.

I need to find a couple of "X" versions of other brands to compare densities.

• Like 4