txgolfjunkie

MGS Golf Ball Test

Golf Ball Test Results...Pre-Reveal  

56 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Which brand do you think performs the best in MGS Golf Ball Test to be revealed Monday? (I have no idea what balls are being tested but this is my best bet)

• Bridgestone (e6, e12, Tour B X, Tour B XS, Tour B RX)
    • Callaway (Chrome Soft, Chrome Soft X, ERC Soft)
    • Cut (Red, Green, Blue, Black, Brown, Mauve, Burgundy, Candy Apple, Cyan, Golden Rod)
    • Maxfli (Tour, Tour x)
    • Mizuno (RB Tour, RB Tour X)
    • Snell (MTB Red, MTB Black, MTB X)
    • Srixon (Q Star, Z Star, Z Star XV, LGBTQ Star)
    • TaylorMade (TP5, TP5x, Project (a), Project (s))
    • Titleist (Pro V1, Pro V1x, AVX, Tour Soft, Velocity, DT TruSoft)
    • Vice (Drive, Pro, Pro Plus, Pro Soft)
    • Volvik (I don't even know if they're in the test)
    • Wilson (DUO Soft, DUO U, FG Tour)
    • Other

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/29/2019 at 10:00 PM

As to the the soft = slow, the Instagram post also states that their may be a benefit for the high speed/high spin off driver bunch, which is personally why I go softer than normal. 

If you saw my review of the ST-180 Driver last year, I used a Q-Star Tour ball to give spins down toward optimum for my speed and launch angle because even with a low spinning head I was spinning around 3k still with "regular compression" balls. I am currently loving life with the Duo Professional along side the Q-Star Tour, but am open to consideration of other balls, probably X variants of tour balls

• Like 3

Just now, txgolfjunkie said:

I just hope they include left-handed golf balls in this test...

I agree. I'm tired of playing these right-handed balls, they're hindering my game. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

10 minutes ago, TSauer said:

I agree. I'm tired of playing these right-handed balls, they're hindering my game. 

No wonder my game isn't improving!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, MaxEntropy said:

I'm conflicted, too. If the X's are sort of an improved Red, count me in, but I still very much want to try the Blacks.

Both of them are good. The X is vastly improved over the red. Every issue that I had with the red has been “fixed” with the X. The black has always been very good. If you aren’t sure which ball you want, Snell does sell a test pack 6 blacks, and 6 X’s, it’s probably the best way to help. Order them today and you may get them in time to use them this weekend. 

• Like 2

I just hope they include left-handed golf balls in this test...

Do they use left handed robots to test the left handed balls?
  • Like 7

21 hours ago, chisag said:

... I don't need a test to tell me how good the Maxfli Tour X performs and feels. Or the Snell Black or TP5x. But like everyone else here, I am very interested to see how all the other balls stack up to my 3 favorites. Especially the new Snell MTB-X! 

The X is good. Distance off the tee is good, and they have a nice feel with the putter. I like the Black for the in between shots. The performance of the X is very good though. 

• Like 3

I bet robots are RH only. Or the LH version is twice as expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Do they use left handed robots to test the left handed balls?

If I'm not mistaken, the robots are amphibious!

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Kor.A.Door said:

Both of them are good. The X is vastly improved over the red. Every issue that I had with the red has been “fixed” with the X. The black has always been very good. If you aren’t sure which ball you want, Snell does sell a test pack 6 blacks, and 6 X’s, it’s probably the best way to help. Order them today and you may get them in time to use them this weekend. 

Good thought! My only (minor) complaint with the Red was that it felt/sounded a little firm on short shots, but I loved the stopping power. 

• Like 1

Referencing Tony’s comments on Twitter about lower compression not going as far as others, in TXG’s video they just did comparing the M5 and Epic Flash fairway metals, the Srixon Z-Star had FIVE mph LESS ball speed than Pro V1X!!! Five! That’s a LOT, and those are “premium” balls. TXG even commented how they’ve seen this more frequently lately and even said to go get fitted for your ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 4

On 4/23/2019 at 10:01 AM, txgolfjunkie said:

FYI, for those searching for news, according to OldEnglish_GSpy (Harry), they anticipate the test to drop Thursday, April 25th...pending completion of data gathering. Apparently there's a lot of data on this test and they need to get it right. 

Obviously we lynch Harry if it's not up... so at least we get some fun on Thursday either way!

• Like 5

As to the the soft = slow, the Instagram post also states that their may be a benefit for the high speed/high spin off driver bunch, which is personally why I go softer than normal. 
If you saw my review of the ST-180 Driver last year, I used a Q-Star Tour ball to give spins down toward optimum for my speed and launch angle because even with a low spinning head I was spinning around 3k still with "regular compression" balls. I am currently loving life with the Duo Professional along side the Q-Star Tour, but am open to consideration of other balls, probably X variants of tour balls

I generate a crap ton of spin off everything. Usually hit greens from a high altitude with irons. Mostly drop and stop or spin them back a few feet. I can back up a 5 iron if I wanted to... could even make the DUO back up.

Driver spin is 2900ish. The best performing ball I’ve found for me is that 2015 Wilson FG Tour. Discontinued now, so my game will suffer for ever. Hoping the softer BStone XS will tame some of that.

My question is if we generate enough spin with a “straight ball” do we need the extra spin for irons?

As stated a proper fitting will do wonders.

Hope you’re enjoying those Orange Rockets.
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Shankster said:

I generate a crap ton of spin off everything. Usually hit greens from a high altitude with irons. Mostly drop and stop or spin them back a few feet. I can back up a 5 iron if I wanted to... could even make the DUO back up.

Driver spin is 2900ish. The best performing ball I’ve found for me is that 2015 Wilson FG Tour. Discontinued now, so my game will suffer for ever. Hoping the softer BStone XS will tame some of that.

My question is if we generate enough spin with a “straight ball” do we need the extra spin for irons?

Hope you’re enjoying those Orange Rockets.

Played them for my round of 79, straight and longish. Big fan. Likely going for the yellow when this group runs out, not because of looks, but my girlfriend's fav color is Orange, so those are the balls she may want to play

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Shankster said:

... Shankster, like everything with golf, equipment choices are never easy or cut and dried. A great example is my P790's. They launch higher than irons I have played and they spin less. That combination worked great on the soft courses in the midwest. Most iron shots, even 5 irons were within a few feet of their ball mark but rarely backed up. But after a wet and softer than normal Jan/Feb in Phoenix, the fairways and greens started to get had and fast and I had a hard time stopping my P790's. Playing Papago I hit a sky high 4 iron off the tee and it hit the front of the green, bounced once and continued to roll until it was on the back fringe. I switched back to my Cobra Forged Tours and holding greens was much easier. 

...  Of course balls are similar and getting the spin and trajectory right for your style of play, on your course in your conditions can vary for different players. I agree, a proper fitting is always a great start, but experience in your playing conditions should be the final determinator. 

• Like 7

Results on Monday per the latest MGS post on the subject.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Results on Monday per the latest MGS post on the subject.

One of the few times I'll ever look forward to a Monday. 😁

• Like 4

I'm ready to read the details of the test.  I'm more interested about the balls that produce the most side spin on the ball.  It's pretty amazing to hear that balls were flying so far off line from a robot.  I'm currently gaming the TP5, but I'm more than willing to consider something else.  I have no real brand loyalty anymore.  I was a huge Prov fan, up until I realized how much side spin the balls produced.  I know some of the factors are my swing that attributed to the side spin.  

I also put a ton of back spin on the ball but come to find out it was my iron shafts that caused that.  There's so many factors that go into this game.  Another reason why you should be fitted for everything in your bag.  

*cancels Monday morning meeting and Dr appt*

*Loads up various golf balls in Amazon cart in anticipation*

*Sets alarm to make popcorn while reading comments section after the test results are revealed*

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 6

I'm torn.

Not sure if I am more excited for the test results or the comments...

• Like 4