txgolfjunkie

MGS Golf Ball Test

Golf Ball Test Results...Pre-Reveal  

56 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Which brand do you think performs the best in MGS Golf Ball Test to be revealed Monday? (I have no idea what balls are being tested but this is my best bet)

• Bridgestone (e6, e12, Tour B X, Tour B XS, Tour B RX)
    • Callaway (Chrome Soft, Chrome Soft X, ERC Soft)
    • Cut (Red, Green, Blue, Black, Brown, Mauve, Burgundy, Candy Apple, Cyan, Golden Rod)
    • Maxfli (Tour, Tour x)
    • Mizuno (RB Tour, RB Tour X)
    • Snell (MTB Red, MTB Black, MTB X)
    • Srixon (Q Star, Z Star, Z Star XV, LGBTQ Star)
    • TaylorMade (TP5, TP5x, Project (a), Project (s))
    • Titleist (Pro V1, Pro V1x, AVX, Tour Soft, Velocity, DT TruSoft)
    • Vice (Drive, Pro, Pro Plus, Pro Soft)
    • Volvik (I don't even know if they're in the test)
    • Wilson (DUO Soft, DUO U, FG Tour)
    • Other

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/29/2019 at 10:00 PM

I wanted to report back with some updated experiences with the MTB-X.  As we head into fall, we had our first cool morning yesterday.  It was a brisk departure from what has been the norm over the past several months.  It was 54* when we teed off at 7:00am and didn't get into the 60's until we were well into the second nine.  

I experienced a larger than normal drop in carry distance with the MTB-X over other balls I have played over the years.  The first few holes were eye opening.  On every iron approach, I was clubbing down one club and still coming up half a club short of my target.  I normally expect to see about a club difference when the temperatures drop but not a club and a half to two full clubs.  I also noticed a significant drop in spin.  Especially on approaches from 100 to 150 yards.  Once I adjusted and started actually hitting a few greens, the ball was releasing and running to the back of every green.  Which was odd given it was an early morning round with cool, damp conditions.  It began to round back into what I would normally expect to see as the temperatures increased from both a carry distance and spin perspective.

I would also like to point out, I have been playing some of the most consistent golf of my life in recent months so, this wasn't a result of poor ball striking.  There was also not a breath of wind.  The app on my phone read "Winds from the SW @ <1 MPH".

Anyone have any similar experiences as the temperatures decrease?

@sixcat  I also play the MTB-X and have been playing early mornings with temps in the upper 50s and lower 60s in the first part of the round, but I have not experienced the issues you've described.  

Did you switch out to a different ball to see if it was an issue with just that ball?

@sixcat That's interesting. I wish I could offer some more information, but unfortunately I've never experimented with the MTB-X - only the MTB-Black. My experience with that ball is that its performance was comparable to others I had tried before in cooler temperatures. 

On a separate note, I have finally run low enough on my Vice Pros (still have a better part of two dozen - one of which is still NIB) to give Bridgestone a shot. I have to say I am very impressed so far.

I wasn't able to get the Tour B X that I went into the store after, but since Bridgestone doesn't appear to offer much information regarding the differences between the Tour B X and Tour B XS (aside from one is for improved accuracy and the other is for more distance), I went ahead and grabbed two dozen of the Tour B XS to try. These feel exactly the way I prefer and seem to do really well out on the course. Distance is comparable and wedge spin with these things is just insane. Though it only happened on one hole, I quickly learned that it is possible for me to actually spin this ball a bit too much as I spun one off the front of the green after landing hole high with a back pin. I'm excited to get these out on the course again and continue to see what I can do with them. It seems this may be a much better ball for me on partial wedge shots as I was able to get the ball to land and stop quite quickly this past weekend.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CarlH said:

@sixcat  I also play the MTB-X and have been playing early mornings with temps in the upper 50s and lower 60s in the first part of the round, but I have not experienced the issues you've described.  

Did you switch out to a different ball to see if it was an issue with just that ball?

I used 3 different MTB-X's and a buddies Pro-V1.  No issue whatsoever with the Pro-V1 but similar issues with all 3 MTB-X. 

I would also add, by the time the temperatures were in the lower 60's, I saw no issues whatsoever.  It was only during the first 12 holes or so when temperatures were still in the low 50's.  Temperatures were slow to rise yesterday morning, which is typical of fall in the Blue Ridge Mountains.

• Like 1

It was probably in the low 60s by the time I teed off.  I'll keep an eye out for this when our temps drop a bit more in the mornings.

On 7/29/2019 at 5:46 PM, Peaksy68 said:

I'll have another look at the Chrome Soft, it may be geometrical distortion, unlikely as the source-object distance was very long especially compared to the size of a ball. 

The 2 views of the Pro V1X are at 90 degrees to each other.

I need to find a couple of "X" versions of other brands to compare densities.

This is really cool stuff! 

Food for thought here that has gotten me curious as to if there is any truth to this.  

Over the weekend I was trying  few different golf balls namely a tour BX and  a ProV which have about 6 points of compression difference according to the test results.  I noticed that I had a tendency to Fade the Tour BX (My Normal Shot, and Ball) off the T while the ProV I had a tendency to Draw.

Now in theory I can understand how a softer ball will remain in contact with the face longer and thus allow the club head to turn further closed, but my question is in reality is this noticeable.    

Thoughts welcome.  

• Like 2

Food for thought here that has gotten me curious as to if there is any truth to this.  

Over the weekend I was trying  few different golf balls namely a tour BX and  a ProV which have about 6 points of compression difference according to the test results.  I noticed that I had a tendency to Fade the Tour BX (My Normal Shot, and Ball) off the T while the ProV I had a tendency to Draw.

Now in theory I can understand how a softer ball will remain in contact with the face longer and thus allow the club head to turn further closed, but my question is in reality is this noticeable.    

Thoughts welcome.  

Excellent thought. In theory that would make sense. The longer the ball is on the club face the more closed it will be at the point of separation.

So if you struggle with a slice, play a soft ball. If you struggle with a hook play a firmer ball. That seems to also align with skill. Better players often fight a hook and higher handicaps a slice. I have no data to support that, just brainstorming along your train of thought.

I like these types of posts

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kpn_stew said:

Thoughts welcome.  

Hmmm I definitely can get on board with your logic. I'm just not sure if the difference in contact time would make a difference. Someone correct me here, but the difference between a fade and a draw on a perfectly neutral swing plane is like 2-3ish degrees for the face at impact, right? I'm just not sure the different amount of contact time would end up making enough of a difference to see a few degrees in the face angle.

Completely spit ballin' tho

• Like 3

Does this also depend on swing speed?  The faster the swing, then the less time the ball will be in contact with the face.  Someone would have to measure how long the ball is in contact with the face to validate whether this could affect the trajectory.

Another variable we must consider is center face contact. Unless he used foot spray or impact tape to tell if he was hitting them out the middle, there is always the possibility of gear effect to explain the differences. Hard to say without a slow motion camera and a robot.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Does this also depend on swing speed?  The faster the swing, then the less time the ball will be in contact with the face.  Someone would have to measure how long the ball is in contact with the face to validate whether this could affect the trajectory.
I would think the opposite would be true. Faster swing speeds are compressing the ball more not less. So I would think the ball will stay on the face longer the higher the swing speed.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 10:52 AM, sixcat said:

I wanted to report back with some updated experiences with the MTB-X.  As we head into fall, we had our first cool morning yesterday.  It was a brisk departure from what has been the norm over the past several months.  It was 54* when we teed off at 7:00am and didn't get into the 60's until we were well into the second nine.  

I experienced a larger than normal drop in carry distance with the MTB-X over other balls I have played over the years.  The first few holes were eye opening.  On every iron approach, I was clubbing down one club and still coming up half a club short of my target.  I normally expect to see about a club difference when the temperatures drop but not a club and a half to two full clubs.  I also noticed a significant drop in spin.  Especially on approaches from 100 to 150 yards.  Once I adjusted and started actually hitting a few greens, the ball was releasing and running to the back of every green.  Which was odd given it was an early morning round with cool, damp conditions.  It began to round back into what I would normally expect to see as the temperatures increased from both a carry distance and spin perspective.

I would also like to point out, I have been playing some of the most consistent golf of my life in recent months so, this wasn't a result of poor ball striking.  There was also not a breath of wind.  The app on my phone read "Winds from the SW @ <1 MPH".

Anyone have any similar experiences as the temperatures decrease?

given the damp conditions, the spin rate is not shocking and the ball rolling out seems normal to me.  On cold days, i can see the ball traveling noticeably shorter. Back in high school on cold days we would "heat up" or golf balls in our car before a match. Defroster on high heat and the balls would sit on the heat for 15-20 min.....worked like a charm

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 8:10 PM, kpn_stew said:

Thoughts welcome.  

I do not think i millisecond of extra face time would result in a draw over a fade. I'm sure its just a tiny change in swing path that would lead to that. just an opinion though.

Todaysgolfer (UK) has another great test. 

https://www.todaysgolfer.co.uk/features/equipment-features/2019/september/robot-tested-which-golf-bal-suits-my-game/

They claiming:

There is no reason for an soft ball. Only the feel. 

Soft is slow, but isn`t short.

But soft spins not so much like an hard ball with wedges and irons.

That`s also what i think about this.

I always play softer balls, for their feel. I love the softer balls.

After the MGS Test i try many harder balls - and stay with them. Feel can be "learned"!  I love my harder balls...;-)

Off the driver, there wasn`t so much in it. Sure a few yards this model or this. (soft or hard)

But the bigger difference is with irons and wedges. IMO, if you want more spin and stable flight: You have to go with harder balls. 

My Ball Srixon XV.

How do you know if a company makes their own balls or not?  I'm taking about the DTC balls.  With the OG Kirklands being 🔥 but the new ones sucking... but the Pearls being the same as the OG, it gets confusing.  I really like the Oncore Elixr... like alot.  Do they make their own ball?  I know they have an Elixr X on the way and I hope that its a new ball and not just a rebadge that someone else is selling under another name but I have no clue.  I love the Elixr though. 

4 minutes ago, SmoothG said:

How do you know if a company makes their own balls or not?  I'm taking about the DTC balls.  With the OG Kirklands being 🔥 but the new ones sucking... but the Pearls being the same as the OG, it gets confusing.  I really like the Oncore Elixr... like alot.  Do they make their own ball?  I know they have an Elixr X on the way and I hope that its a new ball and not just a rebadge that someone else is selling under another name but I have no clue.  I love the Elixr though. 

I think I can say with some confidence that no DTC brand "makes" their own ball and very few do much to design their own golf ball.

Snell is the best in the DTC business in this regard - Dean Snell is heavily involved in the design and works closely with his manufacturers. Not sure who would be second.

Most DTC brands simply purchase a white label ball and stamp it with their own stuff. Some might work a little more closely with the ball plant to suggest design changes, but leave all of the actual design work and production to the manufacturer.

Anyone here is free to correct me if I have any of this wrong, but based on the information I've seen from MGS and numerous other sources, this what I've found so far.

4 minutes ago, TR1PTIK said:

I think I can say with some confidence that no DTC brand "makes" their own ball and very few do much to design their own golf ball.

Snell is the best in the DTC business in this regard - Dean Snell is heavily involved in the design and works closely with his manufacturers. Not sure who would be second.

Most DTC brands simply purchase a white label ball and stamp it with their own stuff. Some might work a little more closely with the ball plant to suggest design changes, but leave all of the actual design work and production to the manufacturer.

Anyone here is free to correct me if I have any of this wrong, but based on the information I've seen from MGS and numerous other sources, this what I've found so far.

I also believe this to be true.  I'm just wondering if Oncore is closer to Snell or closer to Vice/Cut?  

9 minutes ago, SmoothG said:

I also believe this to be true.  I'm just wondering if Oncore is closer to Snell or closer to Vice/Cut?  

Probably closer to Vice/Cut. In fact, I think Elixer used the same white label ball as the Vice Pro at some point in time.