txgolfjunkie

MGS Golf Ball Test

Golf Ball Test Results...Pre-Reveal  

56 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Which brand do you think performs the best in MGS Golf Ball Test to be revealed Monday? (I have no idea what balls are being tested but this is my best bet)

• Bridgestone (e6, e12, Tour B X, Tour B XS, Tour B RX)
    • Callaway (Chrome Soft, Chrome Soft X, ERC Soft)
    • Cut (Red, Green, Blue, Black, Brown, Mauve, Burgundy, Candy Apple, Cyan, Golden Rod)
    • Maxfli (Tour, Tour x)
    • Mizuno (RB Tour, RB Tour X)
    • Snell (MTB Red, MTB Black, MTB X)
    • Srixon (Q Star, Z Star, Z Star XV, LGBTQ Star)
    • TaylorMade (TP5, TP5x, Project (a), Project (s))
    • Titleist (Pro V1, Pro V1x, AVX, Tour Soft, Velocity, DT TruSoft)
    • Vice (Drive, Pro, Pro Plus, Pro Soft)
    • Volvik (I don't even know if they're in the test)
    • Wilson (DUO Soft, DUO U, FG Tour)
    • Other

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/29/2019 at 10:00 PM

6 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Is it called the Ballson DeChamball?

Brilliant, quality post from Shankster here. That's all I have to add to this budget v. non-budget discussion because I still get spiffs from working in the industry and get good deals on the balls I like, so price really doesn't impact me.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

No, but some ball maker will find something that changes the price-performance equation again, just like urethane did. Science doesn't stop.  

Very true but the Titleist Trufeel isnt that ball.  Ive heard that Bridgestone has something in the works that will supposedly obsolete urethane but its all rumor and speculation until it actually comes out.

• Like 1

Just got back from playing 5 rounds in North Carolina with 7 guys.  Ball of choice for most was the ProV/ProV1. Most said they liked they way it felt and played. One guy said he used it because it was supposed to be the best.  I had Prov and Chrome Soft with me. I played better, score wise, with the Chromesoft. I putted better with the ProV. I probably got a few extra yards with the ProV, but it wasn't much of a difference. 

The Chromesoft was softer off the putter (Duh) and I left it short as opposed to running it by. I like to use the chevron to line up my putts instead of the line on the side. I point it at the hole like an arrow. For me (59 yrs old, 8 hcp) I can easily use either.

On 10/21/2019 at 9:41 AM, Borts64 said:

Can I ask if anyone has found that with a higher swing speed, that a ball like the Velocity or a Callaway Hot really go?? I just played in a alternate shot tourney last week and my partner said we would use his ball...did think much of it we both are decent sticks, and I was shocked how far I could hit it! All shots where fire, I was almost a club longer and I can move the ball. I see the data that was presented and when I play a "soft" ball its garbage but in this case I was shocked, no hot weather to blame it on or wind the balls where just fire. It has really confused me, I play the Snell MTB-X currently. We weren't even playing all that great, but the shots where coming of my clubs super hot.  

This is pretty common, especially those 2 specific models you mention... They are distance rocks, higher speed players on average generate more spin than low speed. Those balls will spin less than pro level urethane balls. Lower spin will usually yield better launch conditions for faster swingers and get more roll out. You also arent stopping them on the green so approach shots will be longer due to roll out. 

• Like 1