txgolfjunkie

MGS Golf Ball Test

Golf Ball Test Results...Pre-Reveal  

56 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Which brand do you think performs the best in MGS Golf Ball Test to be revealed Monday? (I have no idea what balls are being tested but this is my best bet)

• Bridgestone (e6, e12, Tour B X, Tour B XS, Tour B RX)
    • Callaway (Chrome Soft, Chrome Soft X, ERC Soft)
    • Cut (Red, Green, Blue, Black, Brown, Mauve, Burgundy, Candy Apple, Cyan, Golden Rod)
    • Maxfli (Tour, Tour x)
    • Mizuno (RB Tour, RB Tour X)
    • Snell (MTB Red, MTB Black, MTB X)
    • Srixon (Q Star, Z Star, Z Star XV, LGBTQ Star)
    • TaylorMade (TP5, TP5x, Project (a), Project (s))
    • Titleist (Pro V1, Pro V1x, AVX, Tour Soft, Velocity, DT TruSoft)
    • Vice (Drive, Pro, Pro Plus, Pro Soft)
    • Volvik (I don't even know if they're in the test)
    • Wilson (DUO Soft, DUO U, FG Tour)
    • Other

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/29/2019 at 10:00 PM

I'm torn.
Not sure if I am more excited for the test results or the comments...

Seriously. If the Instagram post wasn’t enough... the full details are going to bring out a lot of the best of people if they’re playing a ball with unfavorable results lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 4

27 minutes ago, txgolfjunkie said:

*Sets alarm to make popcorn while reading comments section after the test results are revealed*

This. Perhaps the most entertaining part of what will likely be somewhat controversial will be the comments.

• Like 7

is it Thursday yet 😃

#ItsLikeChristmasEveallOverAgain

*edit* just saw a tweet saying it will be Monday now- aww shucks!

• Like 2

is it Thursday yet 

#ItsLikeChristmasEveallOverAgain

Monday is the new Thursday. At least I have my league match to look forward to tomorrow.

#wewantthereportandwewantitnow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

I'm just hoping that the ball I play ranks last for distance and accuracy. I knew it wasn't me, the ball has to be blamed. 

Now that's funny!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

1 minute ago, silver & black said:

Who cares where the ball you're playing ranks? If it works for you..... you win.

I think the biggest problem would be if they are inconsistently made. If they are, I'd look at a ball that ranks comparably and doesn't have QC issues.  

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, GB13 said:

I think the biggest problem would be if they are inconsistently made. If they are, I'd look at a ball that ranks comparably and doesn't have QC issues.  

I understand that, but I doubt seriously if any of the balls any of us play are inconsistent. I'm sure 99.9 % of us play balls from the major manufacturers or the reputable small manufacturers. I'm not sure why comments would be adverse just because the ball you are playing didn't "measure up" to the testing. If you are happy with it.... who cares where it ranks in the test?

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, silver & black said:

I understand that, but I doubt seriously if any of the balls any of us play are inconsistent. I'm sure 99.9 % of us play balls from the major manufacturers or the reputable small manufacturers. I'm not sure why comments would be adverse just because the ball you are playing didn't "measure up" to the testing. If you are happy with it.... who cares where it ranks in the test?

I completely agree. As long as there aren't any major manufacturing inconsistencies, which I doubt from the reputable ball manufacturers, I'll keep playing the ball I currently play, since it works well for me. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, sixcat said:

If I'm not mistaken, the robots are amphibious!

As many balls as I put in the water, I'd need them to be amphibious to realistically test which balls are best for me! 😜

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, silver & black said:

... S&B I agree if a ball works for you then a test shouldn't change that. Unless you have not tried other balls and the test shows improved performance. But a robot is not a human so even that should be considered carefully before trying a new ball. But I do think QC can be a potential problem, especially with some of the boutique brands. I posted before about the Mini Tour player I played with in Orlando that tested a box of the original Kirkland Signatures and 10 were great but 2 had a very different compression and much different spin characteristics. As much as he liked their performance, he didn't trust them and went back to his ProV1's. That can be the difference when "having a bad day" when it was really the ball. And of course I posted pictures of the really bad QC of the Cut Blue balls I received and would never play them again. But I do think all the OEM's that design and produce their own balls will not have any problems with consistency. 

• Like 8

I think it’d be interesting if they released a poll before they released the results, just to have everyone vote and see what they think the winner will be.

• Like 2

As I understand it they are only testing urethane balls.  I'm curious if say Bridgestone urethane balls perform well can we assume their non urethane balls will perform well in regards to consistency and quality.  Does the fact that higher priced balls are urethane mean they have tighter quality control then the same brands budget balls?

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

As I understand it they are only testing urethane balls.  I'm curious if say Bridgestone urethane balls perform well can we assume their non urethane balls will perform well in regards to consistency and quality.  Does the fact that higher priced balls are urethane mean they have tighter quality control then the same brands budget balls?

That's a good question. I would assume however, that most people who could notice a difference in tolerances would be playing urethane balls anyway. I would think however, a company's "Tour" ball would have the tightest QC, but I could be wrong. 

• Like 3

I think this is the article I am most excited for all year... Reason being it is gonna show how much a difference the right ball for your game can make. I wonder if the best ball may end up being something not considered one of the big three (Titleist, Callaway, Taylormade). Maybe someone like a Bridgestone, Mizuno (Major surprise in North America but their balls in Asia and Europe do well), or maybe a direct to consumer ball?

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, PMookie said:

Referencing Tony’s comments on Twitter about lower compression not going as far as others, in TXG’s video they just did comparing the M5 and Epic Flash fairway metals, the Srixon Z-Star had FIVE mph LESS ball speed than Pro V1X!!! Five! That’s a LOT, and those are “premium” balls. TXG even commented how they’ve seen this more frequently lately and even said to go get fitted for your ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Seems to me the better test would have been to pit the Z-Star XV vs the Pro V1X?

Edited by paperclip
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, silver & black said:

I read a report recently done with iron byron (or similar robot) that showed the same ball from the same batch had inconsistencies in flight and distance, some by 20 yds.😮

I'm buggered if I can find it again but if that really is the case theres a good reason to choose a ball with the least inconsistencies, as long as it feels good and works for you.

No matter what expensive, hand crafted, forged on Mount Kilimanjaro with valarian steel clubs you use, if the ball isn't right it will be hard to be consistently good.........in my opinion.

Probably the most anticipated MGS test I've been looking forward to for years.

• Like 5

I can't wait to see the results.  Unfortunately my purchase of 4 dozen TP5X balls a few weeks ago could end up being a bad idea.  haha.  

10 hours ago, GB13 said:

That's a good question. I would assume however, that most people who could notice a difference in tolerances would be playing urethane balls anyway. I would think however, a company's "Tour" ball would have the tightest QC, but I could be wrong. 

I also imagine any ball going to tour players is not treated the same as ones headed for packaging. I would imagine they are testing them and only sending the best of the best to their pros. Unless they have really tight QC tolerances, but I can't imagine Phil Mickelson getting a lemon and me getting the best single chrome soft ball ever produced. Whether or not that's ethical or even whether we should be okay with that is another matter.

• Like 2