TESTERS WANTED! ×

The Hardest Hole on Your Course

So I thread-jacked my own thread, whining about one of the holes on my home course. But that got me thinking this would be a good thread. There aren't many golfers who don't like to complain from time to time about the unfair hand that the golf gods have dealt them, so here's your chance.

What's the hardest hole on your home course? (Note: not looking for "the hardest hole/course you've ever played." Those threads already exist, including this gem of a question from @revkev asking how many "make or break" shots does your course have.) I'm talking about a hole you come back to over and over again. Describe it (preferably, with pictures) in all its gory detail. Try to make us fear it the way that you do.

For those who missed my other thread, I'm nominating the 13th hole at Gogebic Country Club. A modest 350 yard par 4, it has a tiny green (about 40 feet wide, 60 feet deep), a landing area for your tee shot that starts at 40 yards wide (from forest to forest), narrows to 26 yards wide. The entire hole is a gentle left dogleg, so that if you are on the left side of the fairway, you're almost entirely blocked out from the green. But go too far right, and there's a fairway trap on that side.

Also, the green is set up on a plateau with a drop off on the right, so any shots that miss on that side get ejected into the forest.

image.png

image.png

All right, it's your turn: what's the hardest hole on your course?

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

This would be mine (for me at least). 7th hole of the C course at about 478 yards from the tips (we got 3 x 9 holes).

Distances you see are in meters so add about 10% for yards.

If you can't land your ball in the middle, you'll need about 320 yard carry to clear the bunkers. Not to mention it's a blind tee shot.

This is one of those holes that are not protected by trees, so most of the time you are shooting into the wind.

Assuming you play it smart and lay it up before the bunkers, you still have about 190-200 yards to the green and still into the wind.

The green itself is not too hard to putt, but hitting GIR seems impossible. Of course, you can move up a set or two, but where would the fun be? :lol:

This course has hosted several professional tournaments and I heard this hole was a nightmare even for the pro's. Course record is a 61 by Lee Westwood, beating a Tiger in its prime in 2000.

image.png.d1e9bdedb45185e77d7809e41fc6df65.png

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I nominate the 125 yard par 3 12th at my home course. 🙂 Before y'all think I have lost my mind, allow me to explain. The green is huuuuge, probably 30 yards deep and 50 yards wide, so any shots (even really bad ones) will probably still hit the green. Now, here's the problem, the green is tilted so much from back to front, EVERY SINGLE shot, PUTTS and all, collect to the very front of the green. You end up having to make a 30 footer, because if you don't, the ball rolls right back to your feet. I can't think of a time where I haven't 3 putted that hole. I don't know what evil monster designed that hole, or if the construction crew read the plans as 10° back to front, instead of 1° back to front, but I HATE that hole. You are always happy to walk off with a 4. 

And, whoever made the course handicap, has it rated as the easiest hole. They are wrong. 

Edited by GB13

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

#8 at my home course from the tips. 30’ blind down hill layup shot 220-230 yds with a small creek at the bottom. Approach is 140-155 yds 80’ uphill shot. If you’re lucky and the pin is in the front you can see the top of the flag. IMG_0196.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

CobraConnectChallenge3

Love this thread!

For me without question it is 14 at Lost Creek. This is the number 2 handicap on the course but without question is the hardest hole on the course.

This is in part of the redisgn of the course many years back which converted two holes (par 3 up a hill to a blind green and a really long boring par 5) into this one hole. The change was made for many reasons and part of it was due to golfers hitting balls into the back yards of neighbors, but also because they went from 9 to 18 holes and this layout made a lot more sense.

they took the tee shot from the par 3 and kept that as you will see in the picture below.AEC303CD-CF4E-4263-8DD3-A875BF8B1690.thumb.jpeg.5b9d963c92bd3bed457517476b0f3a8a.jpeg

Not the simplest shot to say the least. Landing area ranges from 150 to 225. Anything farther will run through the fairways and into the woods or a pond. However really you need to get it about 180 else you will still be blocked out by trees. Some could try and cut the corner, but I have rarely seen that play over well as it is very high to get over the trees and a long carry. 

Once safely in the fairway you have a simple 175 to 225 left into the green. Lined with trees on both sides a shot into the front left bunker is actually not the worst spot to be. All along the right is the gravel cart path and OB and green high on the left is a good little valley making for a near impossible up and down. 

17FB48FA-F8B3-4BBC-8252-6EF6B9526113.thumb.jpeg.f078897f6d28921c70900bb899f85638.jpeg

Thee green itself is tough as well with two tiers and some tricky pin locations as well. Add to the fact it is raised a bit which makes running it up to the green a challenge as well. 

74275F61-57A7-4B96-9539-6BC98615251D.thumb.jpeg.bc56efa3fc9ccb1b35c45f650ac5dd43.jpeg

Par on this hole is much like a birder and birdie eagle. As I’ve only ever had one birdie and it was on a chip in. 

If im honest I would love to see the course push the green back another 30 or so yards (which there is a ton of room to do) and make it a par 5. This would make the course a 72 and add a second par 5 to the back 9. Even though they would be back to back. It would also cut down the walk so to speak to 15. With how it stands right now you finish 14 and walk 250 yards down the old hole to the tee box to 15. It would help with the flow of the course and I believe make for a great positional par 5 where driver (depending on player length) much more manageable and enjoyable. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

It’s not hard at all, but I make it hard. It’s Number 9, a 540 yard par 5. Dead straight, trees on the left close to the fairway, pitted nasty hard pan on the right. If you get over there you are almost certainly going to have an unplayable because your ball will be in a depression.

I have posted about it before but it is a round ruiner for me. Should be easy, a driver, 3 iron, and maybe a short iron in. It’s rated as the 5th hardest.

Dang thing slopes to the right so you could have a nice drive that actually kicks OB. It’s just a dumb golf hole.

Ok, so here it is. My landing spot is the most sloped to the right. So a drive that lands in the spot in the first picture ends up where the second picture shows.
IMG_5235.JPGIMG_5236.JPG

My plan for the first round is the “Shankster” route. Big old slice through the little gap in the trees.
IMG_5237.JPG

4th hole at mine which is 'only' 430yds long, but it's uphill all the way and usually into a breeze.

Drives stop where they land then it's an uphill lie with a 3 wood. Apart from in warm summer conditions there is hardly anyone in the club who can reach in two.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

• 1 month later...

What I think is funny, the course I play every week, the hardest hole based on handicap for me is a long (400 yd) hard sloping right fairway into a  two tier green par 4, that I can usually par or bogey at worst. However there is a shorter (338 yd) uphill par 4 that is one of the easier holes based on handicapping that I have never once par'd. I dont understand how some of the easiet holes can be such a nemesis to people. 

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

#15 a 540 yard par-5. It's a downhill tee shot, dogleg right and the rest of the hole sits in a valley. It's the lowest spot on the course, so that usually equals wettest too. There are deep woods down the entire left side to about 120 short of the green, and a creek and woods all the way down the right. You can hit driver, but it either needs to be a perfect fade or a big draw over the creek...btw its blind to the driver landing zone. I hit a hybrid with a baby fade. The second shot is through a narrow window, and your probably still 250+ out. If your hitting anything more than a 6-iron it better be dead straight. The third shot is open and should only be mid or short iron. The green also sits in a 3/4 bowl so short is the best miss. Just the green is severely pitched back to front so don't be above the pin.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

2nd hole at my club measures 460 from blues and 434 from whites it plays slightly downhill if you can hit it far enough to get over the hill. The hard comes from the approach, the green is only 13 yards with 7 foot drop off left right and long. Deep bunkers on right and left and if you are long par is almost impossible. Most people are hitting long iron or FW on the approach. I average 4.5 on it and generally have 8-W in. 😱

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

IMG_1952.jpg

Fairway slopes toward the tee and hard right to left. In the summer anything left center rolls into the rough or worse the tree line. Green is small, fast and severe slopes. Oh and from the back tees the green is 122 feet above the tee box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

------------------------------

Driver:   Titleist TSr2 11 - UST Helium 5F3

Fairway: Titleist TS2 16.5 and 21 - Evenflow Riptide CB R

Irons: Titleist U505 4U and T300 5-GW - Aerotech SteelFiber i80 R

Wedges:  Cleveland Black RTX ZipCore 54 and Full Face 58 - True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge 

Putter:  Odyssey TriHot 5K TripleWide

Bag:  Titleist 15 Cart

#16 at my home course is a par 3 that from the tips plays from 210 to 240. Its downhill so plays a little less. It is brutal I often play it as a par 4 because I don't have a club that can truly reach the green other then my 3 wood but any time I've tried to play it runs through. Another brutal part that's not the holes fault but the green is always covered in leaves or some type of debris because it sits so close to the woods.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

On 4/5/2019 at 3:43 PM, Kanoito said:

This would be mine (for me at least). 7th hole of the C course at about 478 yards from the tips (we got 3 x 9 holes).

Distances you see are in meters so add about 10% for yards.

If you can't land your ball in the middle, you'll need about 320 yard carry to clear the bunkers. Not to mention it's a blind tee shot.

This is one of those holes that are not protected by trees, so most of the time you are shooting into the wind.

Assuming you play it smart and lay it up before the bunkers, you still have about 190-200 yards to the green and still into the wind.

The green itself is not too hard to putt, but hitting GIR seems impossible. Of course, you can move up a set or two, but where would the fun be? :lol:

This course has hosted several professional tournaments and I heard this hole was a nightmare even for the pro's. Course record is a 61 by Lee Westwood, beating a Tiger in its prime in 2000.

image.png.d1e9bdedb45185e77d7809e41fc6df65.png

Oof! I remember this one. For those keeping track at home, we played the tips for the experience just to punish ourselves. Maybe it's more manageable from the other tees, but that was easily a Par 4.5. My hunch is that hole is hard from any tee. 

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Great thread MPR, I had thoughts of starting a similar one. 

I no longer consider this my home course but this hole came to mind. #16 at Breton Bay is a true test of your game. Until you survive this one, no good round is secure. I always seem to play this hole decently when I've got a sideways round going but would happily take a bogey any day. 

99DE45F2-55D1-477D-9945-AA75309898F4.jpeg

The tees are all bunched up to start. A strong poke with a longer club is required to reach the tiny target area (yellow circle). Driver is too much for even shorter hitters when the fairway gets hard and fast in the summer heat. After the line, a hill steeply falls off into the lake or woods to the right. That's one of those cart path hills that forces the autostop on the cart to engage. 

2FC75006-752A-495F-806A-AB03C87756C5.jpeg

If you happen to find the approachable area, it's a long poke to an elevated green over water. The slopes to the right of the green feed sharply into the woods. Finishing in the bunker is a great result. 

The green itself is long front-to-back but narrow left-to-right with a hefty slope back-to-front. End up on the wrong part of the green? Hello three putt. 

This is the rare hole where a 35 yard pitch from the fairway is sometimes needed to give you a chance at getting across the chasm. I hate the tee shot, hate the second shot, and hate everything around the green. 

All said, this hole is fairly designed so there's nothing I'd change about it. It's just plain HARD. 

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

• 2 weeks later...

Avalon Golf Links, 70 miles north of Seattle. 

North course #7. 383y from the member tees. 

Nothing about that number is scary, but the hole is the hardest sub 400y par 4 I've ever played. From the tees, all you see is trees. The fairway is a slight dogleg left, but ridiculously narrow. And it is tree lined on both sides. There is a small creek that crosses the fairway about 280 from the tees, so it doesn't really come into play.... But you know it is there. 

There is also a single 50' fir tree in the left center of the fairway 120y's from the flag. Due to the dogleg, and that tree the landing area for a drive is tiny. You need a straight to sight draw shot that goes at least 240y's so you can get around the aforementioned tree, but need to be short of 270 or else risk finding the creek. Anything left is either into a tree stand leaving a punch out and a 3rd shot of 150+, or is completely blocked by that tree. Anything right is in another tree stand, and further right brings the creek into play. The landing area that gives a 2nd shot to the flag from the fairway, is only 7y wide. Hitting a 7y wide target at ~250y's isn't the strength of my game... Or anyone else that I have ever played that hole with.

The tee shot: target is basically the little tree in the middle. 20190505_151351.thumb.jpg.25031d8a5385c0c2c0b3e00a33c62318.jpg

The second shot: assuming you don't have to hit around the tree on the left. Even from the middle of the fairway, notice the flag is still behind trees. 20190505_152232.thumb.jpg.f5cabccdb523ca0dea34d5c2525f2c9e.jpg 

Best overhead I have of the hole. Screenshot_20190527-203914_Maps.thumb.jpg.c9d93b296dd7853b4d9af43beea4fe0a.jpg

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

Hole #4 is a par-3 at Boise Ranch and is only listed as a 14 HCP, but it remains my current nemesis and therefore my hardest hole to contend with and share with you all. It usually plays around 150-160 yards from a slightly elevated tee box to a moderately-sized green. Trouble is that from the down slope of the tee boxes all the way out to around 130-yds is a freaking pond lined with boulders in front of the green. I'll get a pic of it next time I play, but for some damn reason it simply does not fit my eye and I've been in the water every time for the past 4-rounds and usually wind up posting a 6...😡 It's all in my head I know, but that hole has my freakin' number right now...

As promised, here is photo of it take from the gold tee box right before I dumped my 5'th ball in a roww into the drink in as many rounds...🤬IMG_20190602_113926714.thumb.jpg.a01da06c6d6668a723a6f8352856ceb5.jpg

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

Here's my contribution, #12 at Stoneleigh Golf Club, Round Hill, VA.

105216574_stoneleigh12.thumb.jpg.a7fb907b58f32dd056d8cb2643224d5b.jpg

About 390 yards from the normal men's tee, 425 from the back.  The drive is uphill, about 30 feet based on Google Earth elevations, between a hazard left and OB right.  That brown line just inside the cart path is a small (3 to 4 foot high) dry-laid stone wall.  The drive shown is a little over 230 yards, pretty long for me, and my typical driver on level ground is 250 or so.  For longer hitters, the fairway narrows significantly.  Once you're there, you have 160 left, about 40 feet further uphill, and into the prevailing wind, so it plays 185 to 200 yards.  Still hazard on the left, and a big overhanging tree on the right, and another rock wall, this one close to 10 feet high at the bend.  The front of the green is a steep bank, balls almost to the top will roll back.  The green slopes back to front, so putts in that direction have been known to roll off the green.  And we call it fun....sometimes.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

This hole was recently voted the hole anyone who plays here would most like to blow up and have redesigned.  Out of 36 holes (2 courses) it wasn't even close.

The Details 

Hole 12 SouthWest 

Par 5  No. 2 Handicap 

Black Tees 568 yards Blue Tees 549 White Tees 506 Gold Tees 447 Red Tees 350

The tee shot from Black, Blue, Gold must carry a ravine to reach the fairway.   From the Whites, it's a 210 yard carry over that left fairway bunker, to insure you are close enough to the second ravine to carry it on your second shot.   If you miss anything too far right to that bunker you are left with a 198 yard carry through a narrow opening.  Anything in the bunker or left of it and you don't have an angle to carry the ravine, and are forced to layup short of it. 

Once you clear the ravine, through the narrow gap of trees you will be left with anywhere from 120 yards or less to an uphill approach that is guarded by two green side bunkers fronting the green.  

The green itself is narrow on the left, making a back left pin a very precise and delicate shot.   The most approachable pin is back right.  Anything middle or front sits at the bottom of a slope and shots above the hole are likely to leave at least a 10 footer coming back up the slope.

Durinig league play there is a double par max per hole rule in effect to help pace of play.   I've seen many 10's on the card for this hole, some of them may or may not have been next to my name 🙂

So for the record, the ideal way to play this hole from the Whties:

Tee Shot: A draw of 230 yards that  works around that bunker, or a high fade straight over the bunker that lands 20 yards or so short of the end of the fairway.

2nd Shot: 175 yard club over the hazard to the fatest part of the 2nd fairway.

Approach: 75 yard wedge shot to anywhere on the green, take your two putts and run like you've stolen something, because you just stole a par. 

Hole 12 SouthWest.jpg

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

3 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

This hole was recently voted the hole anyone who plays here would most like to blow up and have redesigned.  Out of 36 holes (2 courses) it wasn't even close.

The Details 

Hole 12 SouthWest 

Par 5  No. 2 Handicap 

The tee shot from Black, Blue, Gold must carry a ravine to reach the fairway.   From the Whites, it's a 210 yard carry over that left fairway bunker, to insure you are close enough to the second ravine to carry it on your second shot.   If you miss anything too far right to that bunker you are left with a 198 yard carry through a narrow opening.  Anything in the bunker or left of it and you don't have an angle to carry the ravine, and are forced to layup short of it. 

Once you clear the ravine, through the narrow gap of trees you will be left with anywhere from 120 yards or less to an uphill approach that is guarded by two green side bunkers fronting the green.  

The green itself is narrow on the left, making a back left pin a very precise and delicate shot.   The most approachable pin is back right.  Anything middle or front sits at the bottom of a slope and shots above the hole are likely to leave at least a 10 footer coming back up the slope.

Durinig league play there is a double par max per hole rule in effect to help pace of play.   I've seen many 10's on the card for this hole, some of them may or may not have been next to my name 🙂

Tee Shot: A draw of 230 yards that  works around that bunker, or a high fade straight over the bunker that lands 20 yards or so short of the end of the fairway.

Approach: 75 yard wedge shot to anywhere on the green, take your two putts and run like you've stolen something, because you just stole a par. 

Hole 12 SouthWest.jpg

Any hole that takes driver off the table due to a fairway that ends and then leaves you with more yardage into the green than you were allowed to hit off the tee, should absolutely be blown up.

I don't have a picture or anything to show, but #11 at my home course is the number 1 handicap for good reason. It's the longest Par 4 at 465 yards from the back tees (just 50~ yards shorter than the Par 5 10th) that plays dead straight with OB left and a creek to the right. The tee box is elevated above the fairway and wind is a definite factor to consider when it's blowing. GIR on this hole is a monumental achievement usually accompanied by applause...

Now to move a bit counter to the discussion topic... I was helping with tornado clean-up in Carl Junction, MO this weekend and the course there is in really bad shape. Lots of trees down after it was directly hit with an EF3 preceded by a lot of rain that softened the ground. The tree lined fairways on this course are a large part of what made it challenging to play, but looks like at least a few holes will be playing quite a bit easier now. Thankfully, the clubhouse was practically untouched and aside from all the uprooted trees, damage to the fairways and greens appears to be minimal. They're expecting to open the front 9 in a couple days and will open up the back in another week or so - at least that's what I was told by the guy in the pro shop when I asked.

briarbrook.jpg.f8c9f339b26e544455ef6e15d3f18777.jpg

Standing next to #8 tee at Briarbrook Golf Course in Carl Junction, MO. 

Edited by TR1PTIK

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

25 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Any hole that takes driver off the table due to a fairway that ends and then leaves you with more yardage into the green than you were allowed to hit off the tee, should absolutely be blown up.

Well to be fair, it doesn't take it out of my hands from the whites, and if you were playing, I'm sure you'd be playing the Blues which are about 6600 and it is 280 to that same spot before the fairway ends.  303 if you want to see the whole course from the tips. 

2 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Here's my contribution, #12 at Stoneleigh Golf Club, Round Hill, VA.

105216574_stoneleigh12.thumb.jpg.a7fb907b58f32dd056d8cb2643224d5b.jpg

About 390 yards from the normal men's tee, 425 from the back.  The drive is uphill, about 30 feet based on Google Earth elevations, between a hazard left and OB right.  That brown line just inside the cart path is a small (3 to 4 foot high) dry-laid stone wall.  The drive shown is a little over 230 yards, pretty long for me, and my typical driver on level ground is 250 or so.  For longer hitters, the fairway narrows significantly.  Once you're there, you have 160 left, about 40 feet further uphill, and into the prevailing wind, so it plays 185 to 200 yards.  Still hazard on the left, and a big overhanging tree on the right, and another rock wall, this one close to 10 feet high at the bend.  The front of the green is a steep bank, balls almost to the top will roll back.  The green slopes back to front, so putts in that direction have been known to roll off the green.  And we call it fun....sometimes.

Oh man, it's been almost 20 years since I've played there, but it's the one hole of the course I do remember.  It was a beast! 

1 minute ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Well to be fair, it doesn't take it out of my hands from the whites, and if you were playing, I'm sure you'd be playing the Blues which are about 6600 and it is 280 to that same spot before the fairway ends.  303 if you want to see the whole course from the tips. 

So basically turns the hole into 3W-3W.  BLOW IT UP! (I need to try to get down there this summer or fall to play it)

2 minutes ago, jlukes said:

So basically turns the hole into 3W-3W.  BLOW IT UP! (I need to try to get down there this summer or fall to play it)

I (being a shorter hitter) have to hit almost perfect drive.  If I fade it too much and i'm in the far right side of the fairway, I have  no chance of clearing the hazard, so it's a 80 yard or so layup, 

That'd be awesome if you were to make it down, we'd play all 36 and let you decide for yourself if it's the one that should be blown up.  But with your length, I can think of a couple others that would be contenders. 🙄

3 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

The Details 

Hole 12 SouthWest 

Par 5  No. 2 Handicap 

Hole 12 SouthWest.jpg

hari-kari.jpg.f601d7375da2235748289990af623742.jpgEr...this...

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

Not "my" course, but I play it a fair amount. I don't think I've ever scored better than an 8 on this hole.

Par 5, 558 from the tips, for me it is usually around 500-520. Tee shot is over a huge ravine and I am usually aiming/hoping to hit the fat area past the trees on the right. It's about 230 to hit that spot. Long hitters probably wouldn't take driver unless they were playing the back tees. It's an visually intimidating tee shot for me. Once the fairway ends, it is a steep downhill to the creek and then back up to the second shot landing area which is narrow and slopes to the right, towards the creek. If you don't get to the fat part of the landing area, trying to figure out how to recover is a pain and likely has you aiming towards the creek. It seems like this hole plays pretty similar to the one Rob posted.

1501396632_RosesRun12.png.9d139da98e7d7902bebe2f3d49273d58.png

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

19 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Oh man, it's been almost 20 years since I've played there, but it's the one hole of the course I do remember.  It was a beast! 

Come on back and play it again.  It hasn't gotten any easier!

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Not "my" course, but I play it a fair amount. I don't think I've ever scored better than an 8 on this hole.
Par 5, 558 from the tips, for me it is usually around 500-520. Tee shot is over a huge ravine and I am usually aiming/hoping to hit the fat area past the trees on the right. It's about 230 to hit that spot. Long hitters probably wouldn't take driver unless they were playing the back tees. It's an visually intimidating tee shot for me. Once the fairway ends, it is a steep downhill to the creek and then back up to the second shot landing area which is narrow and slopes to the right, towards the creek. If you don't get to the fat part of the landing area, trying to figure out how to recover is a pain and likely has you aiming towards the creek. It seems like this hole plays pretty similar to the one Rob posted.
1501396632_RosesRun12.png.9d139da98e7d7902bebe2f3d49273d58.png
Oh yea, that hole is a pain. If you miss the exact fat of the landing area you need to pitch around the corner, then it's a long iron, or even fairway with little room for error if you're going at the green. If it's not a perfect drive just write down 6 or 7 at least.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

This one is too easy for me.  Although I haven’t played this course since 2003, it was our second “home” course in college when I played at LeMoyne.  It was formerly known at the time as The Links at Sunset Ridge but has since been sold and renamed.

It was nearly brand new at the time and most of the turf had not yet settled in.  Local rules would often allow us to play the ball up during Central New York’s unseasonably cool and wet spring.

So here it is, the one hole I would give coordinates to have the USAF delivery Daisy Cutter bombs from tee to green.

#7...a 625 yard, downhill dog leg right.  You tee off from the highest point on the course, where it is 90% into the wind.  Despite what looks like a docile tee shot, your final 115 yards into the green are framed by 30’ tall trees like a bowling alley. The green doesn’t have a single flat spot so don’t plan on tapping in that 3 footer unless you’ve given it a solid look.  

If your tee shot does not follow the perfect line off the tee, you’ll add another 50-75 yards of fun to the hole.  

The front finishes as Par 5, 3, 5 and if you end up going out in those three holes at even, you’ve done well.  

501D7878-42AD-4A4A-8C3F-F0A3AB94271F.jpeg

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/