Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Minimal wrist break golf swing

Last 2 range sessions I have been testing a virtually no wrist break back swing. I have some arthritis in my fingers which is just starting to stiffen my wrists a bit so thought I would experiment.

I am not adding any wrist set as such, just turning away from the ball while retaining the natural set from the address position then turning back and just prior to impact adding a little 'omph' to release the tiny amount of set I had from address. I am not very flexible so I have always played with a shorter than most backswing, but this does not seem to hinder me on this new swing anymore than it did in my more traditional swing.

The results have been impressive, clean contact, straight ball flight and surprisingly, no loss of distance, with what feels like less effort. I think it may be more difficult to shape shots with this swing, but playing off 10 I don't really have the skill level to reliably shape shots anyway so being able to hit straighter more often seems like a good trade off. 

Have to try it on a course now as range golf is easier, and see if it can survive the 'honeymoon' period!

Anybody got any experience/opinions on this?

There is a teacher on YouTube, Larry Cheung who advocates less wrist hinge. He teaches the guys at TXG. Matt there hits driver 180 mph ball speed with minimal wrist hinge, so your experience is very valid 

Edited by Rchang

WITB

TS2 10.5 

M2 3HL

Mavrik Max 5W

Titleist 818 4 hybrid 

Mizuno JPX921 HMP 5-Gap

Mizuno S19 56

Maltby TSW 60

Bobby Grace Shiloh putter

My response is that players have physical restrictions and limitations that don't allow us to swing the swing that is the perceived perfection.   What I read in your post is that you have some limitations and you have built a swing around those limitations that seem to be having some good results.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• 6 months later...

If your wrists are not rigid, when you transition to the downswing, you'll add plenty of lag just because the weight of the club itself.  Steve Stricker is a great example.  @Rchang mentioned Matt @ TXG and his new swing is very similar with very little preset wrist hinge.  I "feel" I do this same thing.  I get more set than both of them, but not much.

• PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5* - Graphite Design Tour AD-HD 7 TX
  • TaylorMade M6 15* - PX HZRDUS Green 80 TX
  • Titleist 913 Fd 18* - MCA KuroKage XMS 90 X /// OR /// Callaway XForged UT 20* - Aldila Rogue Black 105 TX
  • Srixon Z745 4-P - PX LZ 7.0
  • Vokey SM7 49F / 53F / 58K - DG TI S400
  • Odyssey Black #3 34”
  • Titleist AVX