tchat07

Pace of play vs Growing the game

Our Sponsors

9 hours ago, tchat07 said:

But why would we not want more people to enjoy this game we all love? And I do not think the game is going away but at least in my area, the good courses are staying good (and expensive) and the lesser courses seem to struggle and are fading.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

We do want more people to enjoy the game. The problem I see isn't anything to do with the game at all. It's that more people just don't have the the expendable income to play the game.

I'm not talking about the initial expense to get into the game. I'm talking actual income that doesn't have to go to mortgages, vehicle payments, raising kids, utilities, general upkeep of a home, etc.......

You're right, the good courses are staying good... and only the more affluent can afford to play them. I have a number of lesser courses in and around my area, but they have kept prices within reason so more people can afford to play. That has come with less than ideal course conditions also. But, at least people are still playing. 

I don't think growing the game is the right term. The game is fine and does not need growing, IMO. It needs to figure out how to be accessible to more people.

Admittedly, I have no solution for that particular problem. I know it costs a bundle to keep a course in good shape and pay the wages for the staff, equipment upkeep, chemicles, etc.... 

Unless wages start to rise, I think we will see more courses close and golf will truly be an elite sport/game for the affluent, because every day life needs will always take precedence over playing golf.

• Like 1

We do want more people to enjoy the game. The problem I see isn't anything to do with the game at all. It's that more people just don't have the the expendable income to play the game.
I'm not talking about the initial expense to get into the game. I'm talking actual income that doesn't have to go to mortgages, vehicle payments, raising kids, utilities, general upkeep of a home, etc.......
You're right, the good courses are staying good... and only the more affluent can afford to play them. I have a number of lesser courses in and around my area, but they have kept prices within reason so more people can afford to play. That has come with less than ideal course conditions also. But, at least people are still playing. 
I don't think growing the game is the right term. The game is fine and does not need growing, IMO. It needs to figure out how to be accessible to more people.
Admittedly, I have no solution for that particular problem. I know it costs a bundle to keep a course in good shape and pay the wages for the staff, equipment upkeep, chemicles, etc.... 
Unless wages start to rise, I think we will see more courses close and golf will truly be an elite sport/game for the affluent, because every day life needs will always take precedence over playing golf.
Would you say golf is starting to revert back to its previous elitest culture?

13 minutes ago, tchat07 said:

Nope...plenty of guys in jeans and t-shirts out there beating balls at the muni.

• Like 1

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree Alta CB55 Stiff shaft 

FW: :taylormade-small:M4 - 3HL (16.5 degrees) Atmos shaft R

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: M6 --- 3 (19 degrees), 4 (22 degrees), and 5 (25 degrees) Atmos shaft R

Irons: :callaway-small:Apex CF19 6-W KBS Tour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX-2 60*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

No one likes slow (4.5+) rounds.  Its maddening.  That being said, and I've seen it a few times in this thread, being courteous to the groups around you is the way to go.  Playing the right tee box for your game, and letting the group behind you play through if your group is slow makes this game we enjoy great for everybody.  Ready golf is the way to go, if you're not in a tournament situation, and I feel needs to be practiced more.

• Like 3

:titelist-small: 917D 9.5 (Project X Evenflow Blue) 

:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 13.5 (Project X Hzrdus Black)

:titelist-small: 816 H2 21 (Diamana D+ 90)

:titelist-small: TMB 2 Iron 17 (Project X LXi)

:srixon-small: z765 5-PW (True Temper DG S300)

:mizuno-small: T7 50, 54, 58 (True Temper DG Wedge Flex)

:ping-small: Sigma Anser

:Snell:MTB-X

1 hour ago, tchat07 said:

Not yet, but I could see it happening as the middle class goes quietly into the night. Not trying to get political, I just don't know how else to say it.

I actually just my opinion on pace of play in the unpopular opinion thread.

Pace of play is largely influenced by golf courses trying to fit as many tee times as they can into each hour instead of allowing the proper amount of time in between groups. I've gone to some courses and witnessed on the first tee a group on the green, a group in the fairway, and a group on the tee, and the marshall is calling the next group up. When I play, I don't tee off until the group ahead of me walks onto that green. It does me no good to hit the moment they hit their 2nd shot because I'll just be waiting again. 

When it comes to beginners I believe that it's the course length and tees that they are playing. If you want to play instead of working on the range, then I can't stop you; but if you barely advance the ball 150 yards consistently, you shouldn't be playing from any tee over 6000. You should be playing 5500 yards max. 

• Like 3

Driver: :taylormade-small: M1 460

3W: :taylormade-small: M2 15*

Hybrid: :adams-small: Idea a7 22*

3-PW: :titelist-small: AP2

GAP: :callaway-small: X-Tour 52*

SW::cleveland-small: BRZ 900 56*

LW::cleveland-small: RTX-3 58*

Putter::scotty-small: Pro Platinum Newport Mid-Slant 

Ball::titelist-small: Pro V1x

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer

On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 10:35 AM, Rchang said:

When I was a beginner, scoring wasn’t the goal. Learning to hit all the shots you don’t get on a range. My friends would have me hit a drive. If it was playable (meaning not lost or way deep in trees or duffed 100 yds) I played it. Otherwise would drop where my cart partner had drove the ball. That way still learning, but not slowing play down 

I think this is one of the better suggestions especially when trying to teach kids.  A slightly modified version could be to have him/her hit their drive and if it's not playable then throw a ball down in the fairway at a reasonable distance from the green (for a newbie) and have them hit from there. 

• Like 1

When I began, my dad had a rule... Until I could consistently break 100, I had to pick up the ball and put it on the green after 6 shots. He always said pace of play was important and that holding up the course was never an option. Having fun is obviously the goal, but you've gotta be considerate of those out on the course and those in your group.

If you want to let groups consistently play through and take 3 hours for 9, that's fine, but I've seen too many groups not follow that protocol and that, I have a problem with.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

Also, if you are implementing the 2019 rule changes while you play it will get you engaging them about speed while speeding up the round.

Sent using the MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

Driver:    :ping-small: i20 8.5*, Project X Blue, stiff

Fairway Woods:   :taylormade-small: r9 3W 15*, r9 5W 19* Fujikura Motore 70 stiff

Irons:    :ping-small: i210's 4-UW

Wedges:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 55* :callaway-small: MD3 Milled S Grind 60* 

Putter:    :ping-small: B60i Isopur

Problem I've found with the 2019 rules is that there is a split of those who want to use them. Really slowed the game down taking the flag in and out.

Haven't seen that issue in any of the groups I play

Problem I've found with the 2019 rules is that there is a split of those who want to use them. Really slowed the game down taking the flag in and out.

Sent from my SM-G965U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree Alta CB55 Stiff shaft 

FW: :taylormade-small:M4 - 3HL (16.5 degrees) Atmos shaft R

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: M6 --- 3 (19 degrees), 4 (22 degrees), and 5 (25 degrees) Atmos shaft R

Irons: :callaway-small:Apex CF19 6-W KBS Tour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX-2 60*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug