TESTERS WANTED! ×

Callaway says R11 Driver Has A Flaw

GolfSpy_X

• SPY VIP

Callaway is saying that there is a flaw with the new white R11 drivers by Taylormade. They are saying that the shaft often times causes a shadow to be seen on the head. Here is a picture as an example:

YOUR THOUGHTS

Legitimate claim or reaching?

1-1-callaway-taylormade2.jpg

#TruthDigest

Well - you can for sure see a black shadow on a white driver, that you can't see on a black driverhead. But is that really a flaw?

Sounds like Callaway is afraid of all the buzz the white driver is getting. Maybe, the story of "forged composite" is not interesting enough for the press?

Regards,

Michael

Reaching.

I think that Callaway's current products have absolutely no buzz behind them and they have nothing left but to find fault. I am not a Taylor Made fan and have always loved Callaway products but after the response from PGA Show I am wondering what direction Callaway is going to go.

Somewhere in the middle? It could be annoying, but golfers have had to deal with their own shadows forever. Unless every hole is going the same direction, you wouldn't expect to have to deal with it more than a time or two a around. That being said, it also wasn't an issue before the white driver. "Flaw" is probably a strong word though. Then again, not sure what you'd call it. In case you can't tell, I'm on the fence here! :D

If you put clock numbers on the R11 head you would have a sun dial :D . Now the price just went up another $100.00.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

Maybe not a flaw but a draw back to a white color. I have painted several of my woods white and it allows you to follow the club head better at the impact area vs. a dark color. Just my $.02 but I think they (Callaway) are fishing for something new themselves!

Did Callaway do a press release to "expose" this or did they put it out through some other means? Regardless, it's pretty pathetic. Yes, the shadow is probably going to annoy some people, but when I read "flaw" I expected something like "the ASP plate will fly off after 10 swings." Callaway should focus on their own ish, like trying to explain what the difference is between the Octane and the Razr Hawk drivers. Both are forged composite...what else am I getting for that extra $100?

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Did Callaway do a press release to "expose" this or did they put it out through some other means? Regardless, it's pretty pathetic. Yes, the shadow is probably going to annoy some people, but when I read "flaw" I expected something like "the ASP plate will fly off after 10 swings." Callaway should focus on their own ish, like trying to explain what the difference is between the Octane and the Razr Hawk drivers. Both are forged composite...what else am I getting for that extra $100?

Agreed completely. I was expecting the news to be the shaft broke if you miss hit it back or something, but not something about the shadow, and even worst, Callaway being the ones to expose the "flaw". I see a bigger flaw in making every driver exactly the same for the last five years, or as you mention, making two exact same drivers with no difference after all between each other.

Each day we are having more and more news about Callaway, and unfortunately, I haven't seen one positive one....

Wow - how petty. I guess if you can't build a better product you slam their product. I could see the same issue with a Two Ball putter as well...haha. I'm surprised Callaway didn't sue TM because Ely once had a dream that was all in white back in his days on the vineyard. What a joke

I think Callaway just screwed up on that one..... like others have pointed out TM's marketing Team will now be able to tell the proud owners of the R11 that for an extra fee they will add the clock numbers on top so you will know about when the wife will start calling telling you to get home and cut the grass! :D

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

Agreed ,this sounds petty to me as well.Callaway hasnt made anything that has caught my eye for quite a while.These kinds of ads turn me off as a customer.

Callaway razr x tour 5-pw

titleist 585h 24 &21 hybrid

Heavy wedge 52 gap wedge

Nike sv sand and lob wedge

Callaway Diablo Octane tour Driver

Adams F 11 3 wood

Seemore ci2 or Bettinardi studio stock 2

• SPY VIP

The real flaw is how closed that Cally driver is.

Probably just the angle of the photo. Specs say that driver is neutral.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

I seriously doubt a white driver makes any difference in performance. I like the clubhead to appear compact, and painting the head white certainly doesn't help.

Not that Callaway driver is any better. I'm still very happy with my driver. Nothing technologically special about it. It's design is plain, and rather boring by today's standards. But it helps ms avoid the left side of the fairway, send the ball plenty far. That's all I'm willing to pay for in a driver.

Now in my bag:

TM SLDR 10.5 Deg with Matrix Ozik 6Q3 S flex

TM VSteel 15 deg 3 wood

Cleveland Launcher Hybrid 18 deg Diamana Red Board Stiff

Titleist ZB Forged Iron 3-PW DG S200 Steel Shaft

Cleveland CG15 46, 52, 56, 60 Wedges

Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

Just want to point out that the r11 is not just a black n white cookie, the paint on the crown is matted for anti glare. At their monster booth they had bright lights shining on the competitors driver heads for comparison, and since the r11 does not have a shiney coating finish it stood out.

:cobra-small: Staffer 

:Arccos: Staffer 

www.MANAVIANGolf.com

hahaha.. soon you will see people commenting about Pink Drivers, Orange Drivers, Blue Drivers, yellow drivers...

Brandern

Titleist 909D Comp 9.5 Matrix Ozik Stiff

Maruman Shuttle i4000x 15 degrees Stiff

Maruman Conductor 5 Wood

Nike SlingShot HL 3 Hybrid

Mizuno MP-62 4-pw

Maruman KS wedges 52 and 58 degrees

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Srixon: Soft feel

Oh Callaway execs, will you please "get a life!". In fact, will some of you do the decent thing and say byebye to the golf trade, you've expired yourselves, but then, you wouldn't get such generous, rewarding bonuses for "mediocrity" in other trades!! Your waving a white flag!!

Oh Callaway execs, will you please "get a life!". In fact, will some of you do the decent thing and say byebye to the golf trade, you've expired yourselves, but then, you wouldn't get such generous, rewarding bonuses for "mediocrity" in other trades!! Your waving a white flag!!

That about sums it up for me. They won't compare their "forged composite" crowns to others like Nike's on the SuMo 5000 (or their own from previous models), but they'll sure compare it to titanium... that sounds like a swipe at both TMaG and Titleist to me. Their execs gave themselves bonuses for poor performance and now we have this petty excuse of a flaw. Titleist is releasing the new/old ProV1/V1x that they couldn't release in 2009, thanks to Callaway's eventually wasted lawsuit. They also are going to (hopefully) have their hands full with the lawsuit over the "octane" name. The end seems near...

This is just me thinking out loud, but if Callaway does happen to go down (or is bought by Dick's) could the Ben Hogan brand be revived?

• SPY VIP

Some of you seem a bit bent out of shape over this. Remember business is business. TM has made a market buzz with the white heads. All of the other manufacturers have to answer the "why don't you make a white driver?" question now. It is all marketing to make money for the company. Think about it like the pre-fight weigh in. No fighter goes in saying "yeah, I expect him to kick my ass". You believe in yourself an swing the leather. If you are on the canvas later, so be it, but you fought. This is what I see Callaway doing and it is what they should be doing.

The real downside of this is that now I sort of see the shaft shadow on the head (black) of my PING driver.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Now it's the matter of who agrees and who starts agreeing. Didn't really bother much of our crew but now that someone mentioned it, it's probably gonna start bugging me.

logo.jpg

Email: CS@fairwaygolfusa.com

www.FairwayGolfUSA.com

Locations in San Diego and Mountain View, California

I guess it is the old psych thing like asking an opponent if he breaths in or out or holds his breath during a golf shot. I dont know if it is a defect or not but it looked like "Two Gloves" was knocking the crap out of his all last week maybe hit it too far on 17 in the last round. I know he is an Adams man but his driver shure looked like one of those white Taylors to me.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Come on Callaway, you can do better than that. How about spending some more money on R&D, and don't give me bullshit like the forged composite is going to give me 20 more yards. Build a better driver. One that can be adjusted in various ways. What the avid golfer is looking for is to be able to 'tune' their clubs like the pros get done for them. Go with that premise and you will sell more drivers.

Archived