TESTERS WANTED! ×

Snell MTB-X

I was able to try the new Snell MTB X (yellow) golf ball Saturday and it is a very good ball, however, it does not suit my game. I didn’t like it from the tee, the irons were ok, and putting it was really good. Compared to last years MTB red model it is different. The X model has Much less spin on all clubs. I found that around the greens I could produce very little spin compared to the “red” model which had almost too much spin. Overall the the X model ball is more consistent from tee to green, but it lacked the spin around the greens that I was hoping for. I will be switching back to the MTB black (yellow version) it seems to have the characteristics of ball that I prefer. 

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I was curious about the comparison between the red and the x.  Hopefully, others will chime in with their observations, as well.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

I am holding off on purchasing these until MGS releases their compressive ball test results. I’ve been a Vice Pro Plus player for two years now and I’m intrigued by the MTB-X.

Hopefully, we’ll see some objective results soon.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I played the MTB X my last two rounds. I usually game the Black's but also played the Red's depending on course and conditions. I really like the X so far. It's better the Red of the tee. It does not spin as much as the Red's with scoring clubs. Yet it still spins more than the Black. Off the tee I am getting the same distance as the black. For me it has preformed well for my game. It's my new gamer.

Just played the MTB X for the first time on Saturday and my biggest take-away is that it is long off the driver. I don't think it spins quite as much as last year's reds but that is okay with me because the reds were so spinny that it made wedges around the green inconsistent if you weren't striking the ball well and consistently. However, from 100 out I still spun the ball back about five feet on greens that generally aren't very responsive to spin, so the spin is still there for the scoring clubs. As Kor noted, the X is very nice off the putter. I felt really confident on the speed of my putts. I didn't have any putts that seem to come off hot or sneak by the hole a few extra unexpected feet.

Overall, I think the ball is a significant improvement and will be a positive for scores over the old red. I haven't spend much time with the black yet but I like the red last year and will probably order the X this year. But as always, the equipment isn't going to lower my handicap on it's own.

I played the MTB Black last night in the wind and must say that it performed wonderfully in the wind. The wind was blowing about 13-15 MPH constantly with some gusts exceeding 20 and the ball didn't budge very much in the air, even on higher shots. I must say that I was striking the ball rather well so I wasn't putting a ton of side spin on my shots but I still felt confident that I wasn't going to "lose" the ball in the wind when I got behind the ball. Off the driver the ball did not balloon and I don't feel I lost too much going into the wind but it should be noted that my two drives directly into the wind were perhaps two of the best swings I've had in the last six months.

The ball carried with the wind as expected on longer shots (185 - 225). However, the ball was unable to hold the green on those occasions but that would be a tall order for any ball since I'm using a longer iron/hybrid for those shots and not cranking a 7-iron 205 yards like the pros. The wedge around the green felt good with the Blacks. I would say they are a little less spinny than the MTB-Xs but not by much.

One thing I did notice and it could have been due to me (most likely) but I found a few putts got away from me on greens that were very slow. I felt that I had to really focus on the pace more than with the MTB-X. Not only did a few putts get away from me but I also left one four feet short on a 15 foot putt. This doesn't mean the ball is completely to blame but I do think the Black is a little hotter off the putter face which leads to a little lower margin for error on pace. It should be noted that the contact and noise was good (normal) off the putter.

Overall, my initial impression is that both balls are really consistent and distance is good with both of them. I don't believe that there are any compromises when playing this ball over a Pro-V1 or TP5 ect. I can definitively say the both balls are better than the Taylormade Project (a), Wilson Duo Urethane, and other balls in that category. I personally am leaning toward the MTB-X as I am not a high spin player and the extra spin really helps 175 and in. However, I may order some Blacks for the days it is windy as they really don't budge in the wind.

I have now played a couple of 9 hole rounds with the black, and what I am finding is that both balls are performing really well, now it just comes down to personal preference. Which ball performs better with certain clubs. I really like the black with my irons, and chipping/pitching, but like the X better with driver and putter. So I just need to decide which part of the game is more important. 

Also, the X compared to the Red from last year is miles and above from my point of view. Very good improvements made. 

Mid you aren’t sure which one you want, Snell does sell a combo pack of 6 balls each of the X and the Black. I would recommend to try both and see which one will work best for your game. 

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Ken, I think your assessment is spot on. I have found the X to be extremely long off the driver and wonder off the putter. Snell claims the X and the Black will perform the same off the driver but I have found the X to be longer and equally straight even in the wind.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• 1 month later...

Interesting to read very similar to results to what I have been seeing on the course, my buddy had the same experience. I have played 36 holes now:

• Like the durability of the ball, similar to other balls I play (Pro V1X, Bridgestone BX).
  • Definitely longer with both the driver, irons and fairway woods, similarly with wedges.
  • My biggest issue is lack of spin around the greens and from 100 yards in:
    • Hit a few shots with my sand wedge from 100 yards - 50 yards:
      • Full sand wedge ball bounced off the green pin was back exactly 100 yards, hit the ball a few feet pass the pin to sloped back to front green and the ball one hopped over the green.
      • From 50 yards the ball did spin and literally took one hop and stopped: surprised me as typically the ball would have spun back towards the front of the green; ended up helping in this case, but not the spin I expected.
    • Chips, shots, short pitches, flop shots, the ball does not check-up as it does with the other balls I normally game.
  • All-in-all a really nice ball, characteristics for me are very similar to the titleist velocity, but,  with less spin.

22 hours ago, dmgolfer said:

Interesting to read very similar to results to what I have been seeing on the course, my buddy had the same experience. I have played 36 holes now:

• Like the durability of the ball, similar to other balls I play (Pro V1X, Bridgestone BX).
  • Definitely longer with both the driver, irons and fairway woods, similarly with wedges.
  • My biggest issue is lack of spin around the greens and from 100 yards in:
    • Hit a few shots with my sand wedge from 100 yards - 50 yards:
      • Full sand wedge ball bounced off the green pin was back exactly 100 yards, hit the ball a few feet pass the pin to sloped back to front green and the ball one hopped over the green.
      • From 50 yards the ball did spin and literally took one hop and stopped: surprised me as typically the ball would have spun back towards the front of the green; ended up helping in this case, but not the spin I expected.
    • Chips, shots, short pitches, flop shots, the ball does not check-up as it does with the other balls I normally game.
  • All-in-all a really nice ball, characteristics for me are very similar to the titleist velocity, but,  with less spin.

Interesting with the comparison to the Velocity.  I agree on the feel but I'm not sure I have ever hit a ball that spun less for me than the Velocity.  Even with our more firm conditions, I'm finding the MTB-X spins the same as the Prov1x for me.

55 minutes ago, bellairemi said:

Interesting with the comparison to the Velocity.  I agree on the feel but I'm not sure I have ever hit a ball that spun less for me than the Velocity.  Even with our more firm conditions, I'm finding the MTB-X spins the same as the Prov1x for me.

On full shots, I'm seeing my ball stop within a foot of the pitch mark, but I think the V1x spins more around the greens. For the price though? I think it's a really good ball so far.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Played Reds last year, have a few rounds under my belt with MTB-X

As others have said, MTB-X is a better all around ball than the Red was. 

Best parts of the MTB-X =

Long off driver, noticeably for me (on a great hit, any premium ball will get out there...but I am finding great distances more often with MTB-X)

I find the MTB-X is still very spinny off of scoring clubs, which I like.  I compared vs Bridgestone Tour BX and XS - no comparison, MTB-X checks up much better.  I feel I can carry more to my intended target - a good feeling of confidence.  As spinny as Red?  maybe not, but it is not far off.

Putting - oddest thing for me, at first it felt to firm and clicky off the putter...but after using it for awhile this does not bother me.  In fact I find that I am getting the ball to or past the hole more often.  Past soft balls seemed to routinely come up short for me.

3 hours ago, bellairemi said:

Oh wow, did not get that at all. A few more rounds of testing, as mentioned in some other comments, cannot beat the price!!

On full shots, I'm seeing my ball stop within a foot of the pitch mark, but I think the V1x spins more around the greens. For the price though? I think it's a really good ball so far.

Any issues with variances in distance???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

1 hour ago, PMookie said:

Any issues with variances in distance???

Not that I've noticed so far. TP5x still seems longer off of mid irons, but it's hard to say because I'm not swinging well at the moment, it has been windy each round I've played the MTB-X, and I've only played 3 rounds so far with the ball.

Not that I've noticed so far. TP5x still seems longer off of mid irons, but it's hard to say because I'm not swinging well at the moment, it has been windy each round I've played the MTB-X, and I've only played 3 rounds so far with the ball.

Hmm. I played the 2018 TP5X yesterday and loved it all over again, especially off irons and wedges. I keep thinking I need to try MTB-X just because of cost, but I don’t know.

1 minute ago, PMookie said:

Hmm. I played the 2018 TP5X yesterday and loved it all over again, especially off irons and wedges. I keep thinking I need to try MTB-X just because of cost, but I don’t know.

I think it's worth a try. I wanted a cheaper TP5x with some more spin around the greens, but it doesn't seem to spin much more. I like that it comes in yellow!

10 hours ago, yungkory said:

I get the same result versus the Bridgestone Tour B X and the Pro V1-x.  It's not significant but the MTB-X is definitely a yard or two shorter with iron shots.  My home club has many elevated greens with false fronts.  That yard or two matters when you have to be past the false front. 

But given the 7 to 10 yards I gained off the tee, it's easily accounted for and hasn't been a problem since I have gotten used to the MTB-X ball the past month.

Hey guys, great thread and conversation about the MTB-X. This will be very useful for me to look at as I was chosen as a tester for the MTB-X for the forum. We just finished handing over all of our information so I am hoping to have the balls in hand within a few weeks and maybe we can have our stage 1's up a bit after that. 

I am hearing a lot of people are happy with driver and putting performance, which is great. I am surprised people have reported wedge and iron spin as being so low, since the MGS golf ball buyers guide did not show that. I wonder if that's where the higher compression comes into play?

Has anyone noticed shots going more offline than normal? I know that was a big concern in the testing as well. I would love to hear some more feedback before I get down to do my testing so I know what to look for. Thanks all!

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

19 minutes ago, newballcoach said:

Hey guys, great thread and conversation about the MTB-X. This will be very useful for me to look at as I was chosen as a tester for the MTB-X for the forum. We just finished handing over all of our information so I am hoping to have the balls in hand within a few weeks and maybe we can have our stage 1's up a bit after that. 

I am hearing a lot of people are happy with driver and putting performance, which is great. I am surprised people have reported wedge and iron spin as being so low, since the MGS golf ball buyers guide did not show that. I wonder if that's where the higher compression comes into play?

Has anyone noticed shots going more offline than normal? I know that was a big concern in the testing as well. I would love to hear some more feedback before I get down to do my testing so I know what to look for. Thanks all!

I do not see the MTB-X spinning on the low end of the spectrum with the wedges.  I am consistently getting pitches around the green to "hop and stop."  Bunker shots have been outstanding.  We have a lot of false fronts and elevated greens so being able to control a ball so well out of sand has been a pleasant surprise.  Full shots into the greens have also been consistently within a foot of their pitch mark.

As for the random offline shot, I haven't experienced anything out of the ordinary.  As a matter of fact, I'm finding fairways with a quite a bit more regularity with the MTB-X. 

I'm not trying to be overly praising of the MTB-X.  I'm honestly trying to find something to nitpick.  But that's what it would be, a nitpick.  I can't find anything to complain about. 

4 hours ago, sixcat said:

I do not see the MTB-X spinning on the low end of the spectrum with the wedges.  I am consistently getting pitches around the green to "hop and stop."  Bunker shots have been outstanding.  We have a lot of false fronts and elevated greens so being able to control a ball so well out of sand has been a pleasant surprise.  Full shots into the greens have also been consistently within a foot of their pitch mark.

As for the random offline shot, I haven't experienced anything out of the ordinary.  As a matter of fact, I'm finding fairways with a quite a bit more regularity with the MTB-X. 

I'm not trying to be overly praising of the MTB-X.  I'm honestly trying to find something to nitpick.  But that's what it would be, a nitpick.  I can't find anything to complain about. 

Just placed an order for some in optic yellow. I'll be back on here in a few weeks to report my personal findings with these against my beloved Blacks.

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

Got another round in today, best ball tourney, played several shots off the tee, from the fairway, around the green. If you see my previous post the titleist velocity is hands down a much better ball. Played the Snell mtb-x, prov1x, bridgestone tourbx. And for ME, for My game the velocity so far is in the lead.

I saw a pic of these on Instagram, and after seeing they still have the seam running around the equator of the ball, there’s no way I can play these. Seems like Snell would’ve figured out a way to get rid of that by now.

1 hour ago, PMookie said:

I saw a pic of these on Instagram, and after seeing they still have the seam running around the equator of the ball, there’s no way I can play these. Seems like Snell would’ve figured out a way to get rid of that by now.

TP5 and TP5x have pretty noticeable seams 

I happened to have a Snell MTB Red near me and I just examined it.  Couldn't see a visible seam upon examination.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

I've never noticed a seem on any of my MTB Blacks and don't recall seeing them while testing the Reds either. I'll take a good hard look at my X's when they arrive here later this week and take some pics.

Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)

#Powertotheplayers

I've played all of the MTB's and the only one without a visible seem is the Red.  However, at least Snell used the seem logically by putting the alignment on the seem.  

As for performance, I still have some of the Reds and used them this past weekend, and I know everyone complains about too much spin, but I was very happy to have hit a 5-iron 195 yard out of the rough, landing it on an elevated green and getting it to stop within 3 feet of my pitch mark.  Since Dean stopped making the Reds, the X is now my ball of choice.

• In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 6-way
  • :cobra-small: King F9 set to 9*, Tour length Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 S-flex, with GolfPride MCC +4 mid-size
  • image.png.27e1496834233542c5d124bf8b9e3352.png3W - 13*, UST Mamiya 65 Gold S-flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :taylormade-small: SIM UDI 2-iron - 18*, Mitsubishi Diamana Thump 100 X-flex, with GolfPride MCC Align
  • :srixon-small: ZX5 4-5 & ZX7 6-PW, :Nippon: Modus3 120 Tour S-flex, +1/2", with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: - SM8 Tour Chrome, 50.08F - 54.10S - 58.12D, DG Wedge Flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :EVNROLL: Custom Fit 35" ER6 Red at 68 degree lie angle and 4 degrees of loft
  • :Snell: MTB-X            :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope             Tracked by :Arccos:         #WPS 🐗

IMG_9319.jpg
The new TP5X “seam” is NOWHERE near as visible as this. Not even close.

On ‎06‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 9:14 AM, PMookie said:

IMG_9319.jpg
The new TP5X “seam” is NOWHERE near as visible as this. Not even close.

I must be blind or not quite understand what a "seam" looks like. To me a seem would amount to some sort of obvious raised or ragged edge that could be seen where the ball halves have met during production. I do not see one here. Looking closer, is it the gap between the dimples that is the seam? Must be... right?

Edited by PING Apologist #9
spelling

Driver

#Powertotheplayers