Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Snell MTB-X

18 minutes ago, PING Apologist #9 said:

I must be blind or not quite understand what a "seem" looks like. To me a seem would amount to some sort of obvious raised or ragged edge that could be seen where the ball halves have met during production. I do not see one here. Looking closer, is it the gap between the dimples that is the seem? Must be... right?

The seam on a golf ball is where the two halves of the cast meet in the production of the ball, and on a lot of cheaper balls is visible in the finished product as a circumference around the ball with no dimples. So yeah, in the picture there, it is the "gap" in the dimple pattern that goes all the way around the ball.

Edited by cynogriffin

In the Bag:

Driver: :callaway-small: Callaway Rogue 9° (Project X Hazardous Yellow 76g 6.0 Stiff Flex)

3 Wood: :callaway-small: Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15° (Stiff Flex)

Hybrid: :titelist-small: Titleist 816 H2 19° (Fujikura Motore Tour Spec Stiff Flex)

Irons: :ping-small: Ping i E1 4i-UW (Ping CFS Stiff Flex)

Wedges: :mizuno-small: Mizuno T7 54°/9°; :cleveland-small: Cleveland RTX 3 58°/8°

Putter: :odyssey-small: Odyssey O-Works Versa #7 (33", Super Stroke Pistol GT)

Ball: :srixon-small: Srixon Z-Star

Other: image.png.1a836b4c89a21e13ee937550f4016dae.png Shot Scope V2 

3 minutes ago, cynogriffin said:

The seam on a golf ball is where the two halves of the cast meet in the production of the ball, and on a lot of cheaper balls is visible in the finished product as a circumference around the ball with no dimples. So yeah, in the picture there, it is the "gap" in the dimple pattern that goes all the way around the ball.

Big 10-4! Learn something new every day. Thanks!!

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

On 4/7/2019 at 10:53 AM, Kor.A.Door said:

I was able to try the new Snell MTB X (yellow) golf ball Saturday and it is a very good ball, however, it does not suit my game. I didn’t like it from the tee, the irons were ok, and putting it was really good. Compared to last years MTB red model it is different. The X model has Much less spin on all clubs. I found that around the greens I could produce very little spin compared to the “red” model which had almost too much spin. Overall the the X model ball is more consistent from tee to green, but it lacked the spin around the greens that I was hoping for. I will be switching back to the MTB black (yellow version) it seems to have the characteristics of ball that I prefer. 

I found that the MTB-X fell out of the sky off all my clubs. The Black does better for me.

ProV, TP5, Chrome soft all have seams as well? I used to play ProV and I used to line up my drives perpendicular to the seam. If I am not mistaken Titleist prints the ProV logo and line on that seam. 

Maybe the newer versions hide the seam better, but I used to look for and find the seam on every ball I played. 

Edited by Kor.A.Door

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Would be pretty interested to see if there is a difference in performance in hitting along the seam vs. against the seam. I can't say I've ever really noticed the seam on any ball I've played but now I'm curious. 

Driver: Callaway Rogue - Project X HZRDUS Yellow, 6.0, 63g

Fairway: Callaway Epic 3 wood, Rogue MAX stiff, 75g

4-6 Iron: Mizuno JPX-850 - Project X 5.5 

7-PW: Mizuno JPX-850 Forged - Project X 5.5

Wedges: Mizuno MP-T5 (50, 54), Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 60 ES

Putter: Odyssey Marxman, Currently tested and kept Golf Pride Tour SNSR Contour Pro 140cc grip

me thinks thou doth protest too much .... jmo, but I don't think a visual seam is a performance issue.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Mine are here...

IMG_20190605_185235610.thumb.jpg.76b2c316e1c8df9a4604588675651c70.jpg

As always with a "live-ink" thank-you and signature from Dean Snell himself. Damn I love this sort of thing!!! Thanks Dean!

Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)

#Powertotheplayers

So my first impressions with the MTB-X (yellow) are "Oh crap! it still balloons!" But that was on one of few good hits I've had from the tee with driver so far, and that one was into the wind. I've only played with a few (3) off and on for the last couple of rounds and simply don't have al lot good data yet. I think I am having a bit of vapor lock when looking down at a yellow ball...just something I need to get used to. It does feel a little harder off the putter face and I simply need some more quality time with them (especially around the greens) before I say "yay" or "nay". More to come.

Driver

#Powertotheplayers

I’ve been test the MTB-X, for a week now. I’ve got 4 rounds and lots of practice with it. I’ll save my review for the official form.

TP5 Pix, TP5x, Chrome Soft X, ProV1x, and Pro V1 all went head to head.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Atmos Blue 6S

Atmos Red 7S
 Atmos Blue 8S
Apex CF19 4-AW C-Taper Lite S
SM7's RAW 50F - 54S - 58M - 62M

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto (Oven)

Nike 006 Rory Proto (Oven)

Pro V1 / Z-Star

I played the Red all last year, and upon reflection it probably did spin too much for my game (12 handicap with 98MPH SS).  I got the test pack and switched to the MTBX based on track man data. I've been very happy with it. Good distance. I've had no trouble with generating greenside spin. Irons stop or pull back a bit on greens. For the price I'm thrilled with the ball. 

Played my first round with the the MTB-X yesterday. I would completely agree start of this thread. Driver had very low spin. Where I noticed the most was around the greens. Pitches and chips did not nearly spin as much as the Chrome Soft I usually play. I tried a couple of times to pitch one in with a one bounce and check shot and could not get it to check. I'll use it a couple more times before I give up on it completely but nothing really impressed except for the price! 

WITB

Left-handed - Index 7.2

Driver: default_callaway-small.jpg.1585b5bff56a9074f01d7c95317b4805.jpgEpic 10.5* (weight setting: Animal) Project X Hzrdus T800 S

Fairway: default_callaway-small.jpg.82da61dd81f2cbeea7fb0f1ad16140b8.jpgEpic 15* and default_callaway-small.jpg.1923c467c2fc1b8811f478b86c4bc658.jpg Flash 18* Project X Hzrdus T800 S

Hybrids: default_callaway-small.jpg.82da61dd81f2cbeea7fb0f1ad16140b8.jpgX-forged UT 21* and 24* UST Mamiya Recoil S

Irons: default_callaway-small.jpg.82da61dd81f2cbeea7fb0f1ad16140b8.jpgApex 16 (6-AW) TT XP95 S

Wedges: default_callaway-small.jpg.82da61dd81f2cbeea7fb0f1ad16140b8.jpgMD4 54* and 58* KMS S200

Putter: default_odyssey-small.jpg.3c22e66e4e61ddbb2fe92f031f5f1c5a.jpg#9 BWB

Ball: Snell.png.de6b1483ca69236015e77a2d387000d0.pngMTB-X

Need quick help here guys.  I've been testing the MTB-X and have 3 rounds under my belt with it.  All 3 have been with virtually no wind at all so I don't know how they do on windy days.  Well, I have a 2 day tournament starting tomorrow and the forecast calls for wind.  I currently have the MTB-X, Z Star and Z Star XV in stock at home.  I know what the Z Star does in the wind but not the other two.  Those that have played all three which do you suggest in the wind or can the MTB-X handle the wind okay?

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

41 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

Need quick help here guys.  I've been testing the MTB-X and have 3 rounds under my belt with it.  All 3 have been with virtually no wind at all so I don't know how they do on windy days.  Well, I have a 2 day tournament starting tomorrow and the forecast calls for wind.  I currently have the MTB-X, Z Star and Z Star XV in stock at home.  I know what the Z Star does in the wind but not the other two.  Those that have played all three which do you suggest in the wind or can the MTB-X handle the wind okay?

I haven't got the chance to play the Snells yet, but I really like the standard Z-Star into wind. It performs really well compared to other balls I've tested and should have a tad lower ballflight than the XV. So the standard Z-Star gets my personal recommendation.  

Edited by cynogriffin

In the Bag:

Driver: :callaway-small: Callaway Rogue 9° (Project X Hazardous Yellow 76g 6.0 Stiff Flex)

3 Wood: :callaway-small: Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15° (Stiff Flex)

Hybrid: :titelist-small: Titleist 816 H2 19° (Fujikura Motore Tour Spec Stiff Flex)

Irons: :ping-small: Ping i E1 4i-UW (Ping CFS Stiff Flex)

Wedges: :mizuno-small: Mizuno T7 54°/9°; :cleveland-small: Cleveland RTX 3 58°/8°

Putter: :odyssey-small: Odyssey O-Works Versa #7 (33", Super Stroke Pistol GT)

Ball: :srixon-small: Srixon Z-Star

Other: image.png.1a836b4c89a21e13ee937550f4016dae.png Shot Scope V2 

I've found that they're  not affected by the wind nearly as much as the Reds were.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!