First off sorry if this been posted before or wrong section. 

So what is the deal with golf prices on golf clubs. Like the epic flash is almost 600 bucks and the rogue is 500 original price. I mean Maybe it’s just golf galaxy but that’s Insane for people that want to golf and not just have old clubs. I’m just shocked and they wonder why these don’t sell usually. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Redrider91 said:

I’m just shocked and they wonder why these don’t sell usually. 

General market modelling would suggest 'they' are selling enough at those prices to keep pricing the next one a little higher. Prices won't come down until the consumers show an unwillingness to purchase at the manufacturer's price.

The good news for us budget minded golfers is; there isn't typically a major leap in the technologies from one release year to the next. It is usually just some minor tweaks. A previous years release is usually just as good (in the hands of Joe Amateur anyway) and available at a big price drop from the current year. 

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, GregB135 said:

General market modelling would suggest 'they' are selling enough at those prices to keep pricing the next one a little higher. Prices won't come down until the consumers show an unwillingness to purchase at the manufacturer's price.

The good news for us budget minded golfers is; there isn't typically a major leap in the technologies from one release year to the next. It is usually just some minor tweaks. A previous years release is usually just as good (in the hands of Joe Amateur anyway) and available at a big price drop from the current year. 

Yeah I mean I know There’s people that will pay that lol. im just like holy crap I think I remember Drivers use to be 300 or 400. I play razr driver and thinking of upgrading to XR or any other brand previous models 

• Like 1

Drivers are $300. I just bought a new Tour Edge Exotics EXS. $299.99. Beautiful club with all the latest technology. Will it make into my bag?

If you don't mind used, I got my ST190 head only (looked new) and then bought a new UST VTS TSPX shaft to put in it and come in at just under $330. There are deals out there is you look hard enough even on the newer year models.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

The worst part is that 6-12 months later, something newer and greater than before is released.  Chasing the latest and greatest will set you back a pretty penny.  

Guess someone has to pay for all the advertising and tour player endorsements.

• Like 6

The cost of everything has been and is continuing to rise. Cars, fuel, homes, wages, insurance, utilities. You name it.

Manufacturers of golf equipment are not immune from the market.

I’m still trying to understand why this is shocking.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

The prices reflect people trying to "buy a game", IMO. Clever marketing plays a roll, as does the need/want for the latest and greatest. As long as people will pay the price.... the price will continue to go up. 

I will NOT pay the price.

Edited by silver & black
  • Like 4

Seems nuts but people seem to be buying. Im just a working man.When I buy news its a couple years old. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, pulledabill said:

Seems nuts but people seem to be buying. Im just a working man.When I buy news its a couple years old. 

Since getting back into golf I am Thinking the same. A few years old isn’t bad. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, bens197 said:

The cost of everything has been and is continuing to rise. Cars, fuel, homes, wages, insurance, utilities. You name it.

Manufacturers of golf equipment are not immune from the market.

I’m still trying to understand why this is shocking.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

This right here. 

I feel like golf has this stigma when it comes to pricing and release cycles because many golfers buy new gear with resale value in mind. When you buy a car, or a home, or a computer, or a guitar, you're usually not thinking about selling it in 6 months. If you look at musical gear, companies are CONSTANTLY coming out with line & model variations, but I never hear complaints about prices. Perhaps because golf is performance driven, there's a "need" to have the latest & greatest to eek out another few yards, or whatever. 

If golfers weren't buying $500 drivers, OEMs wouldn't be pricing them that way. And there's no reason at all why last year's model or even 2 years ago's model won't work just fine for you, at a very steep discount. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, CarlH said:

The worst part is that 6-12 months later, something newer and greater than before is released.  Chasing the latest and greatest will set you back a pretty penny.  

Guess someone has to pay for all the advertising and tour player endorsements.

it's just like buying a new car or computer.  Once you buy the latest, it becomes old news 6 months later.  Especially with the big manufacturers like Taylor Made and Callaway.

• Like 3

The upside is a lot of very discounted products for those willing to be patient for a season or so. If I buy a new driver it's usually last year's model or late in the model year and normally 50-60% of original price.

10-15 years ago drivers were $299-$399 depending on the model so things really have not moved all that much

• Like 2

Well, once you add in the shaft that you fit to you could be looking at one to three hundred dollars more. I am looking at the Ping G400 Max now that they are over a year old and the 410 is out. I'm seeing them at $179 brand new. They were $399 last year. Just a thought for you.

Sent using the MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

On 4/7/2019 at 2:15 PM, Redrider91 said:

First off sorry if this been posted before or wrong section. 

So what is the deal with golf prices on golf clubs. Like the epic flash is almost 600 bucks and the rogue is 500 original price. I mean Maybe it’s just golf galaxy but that’s Insane for people that want to golf and not just have old clubs. I’m just shocked and they wonder why these don’t sell usually. 

I was looking for new irons as a Christmas present in Dec '18. I hit a LOT of clubs and decided on Cobra One Length irons. I bought the last set of F7 OL's in the store at ~35% of their original price. I'm in the process of upgrading everything in my bag as it's all nearly 10 years old. I'm not afraid to buy last year's model if it works. I'm also bringing my current club(s) to any fitting/shopping outing so I can test the new against the current.

• Like 1

Golf is only as expensive as one chooses to make it. Like any hobby there will be bargains to had if one opts for them.

consumer products are on a rise and considering the money spent on r&d and marketing companies have to recoup it somehow.

• Like 1

I don't think you can limit the reason why golf equipment (or any good/service) is so expensive to just one factor. 

1. Rising cost of materials, labor, R&D.
  2. People chasing the latest & greatest.
  3. They charge X dollars because people continue to pay it
  4. Greedy corporations just out to "make a buck".

And on and on it goes.  There is plenty of blame to go around IMO.  With that having been said, I do think a lot of power ultimately lies with the consumer when it comes to pricing.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, TwoCoatsOfWax said:

I don't think you can limit the reason why golf equipment (or any good/service) is so expensive to just one factor. 

1. Rising cost of materials, labor, R&D.
  2. People chasing the latest & greatest.
  3. They charge X dollars because people continue to pay it
  4. Greedy corporations just out to "make a buck".

And on and on it goes.  There is plenty of blame to go around IMO.  With that having been said, I do think a lot of power ultimately lies with the consumer when it comes to pricing.

That’s the ultimate goal any profit based business right but also any employee of businesses to earn as much as they can. 

18 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

That’s the ultimate goal any profit based business right but also any employee of businesses to earn as much as they can. 

I completely agree.  I wasn't being preachy.  I was just adding in common reasons given for why some product or service is expensive.

Its frustrating though when you buy a driver and then the new one comes out before you even hit it! Honestly I dont even look at new clubs anymore due to cost!

• Like 1