TESTERS WANTED! ×

Golf prices

First off sorry if this been posted before or wrong section. 

So what is the deal with golf prices on golf clubs. Like the epic flash is almost 600 bucks and the rogue is 500 original price. I mean Maybe it’s just golf galaxy but that’s Insane for people that want to golf and not just have old clubs. I’m just shocked and they wonder why these don’t sell usually. 

2 minutes ago, Redrider91 said:

I’m just shocked and they wonder why these don’t sell usually. 

General market modelling would suggest 'they' are selling enough at those prices to keep pricing the next one a little higher. Prices won't come down until the consumers show an unwillingness to purchase at the manufacturer's price.

The good news for us budget minded golfers is; there isn't typically a major leap in the technologies from one release year to the next. It is usually just some minor tweaks. A previous years release is usually just as good (in the hands of Joe Amateur anyway) and available at a big price drop from the current year. 

Driver:  :PXG: 311XF Gen5, Tensei CK Pro Orange, S flex

Fariway:  :PXG: 311XF Gen6 3-Wood, Tensei Blue 55g R flex

Hybrid:   :PXG: 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

:titleist-small: TSR2 4H, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester)

Irons:  :titleist-small: T200 2023, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester), 5-GW

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

12 minutes ago, GregB135 said:

General market modelling would suggest 'they' are selling enough at those prices to keep pricing the next one a little higher. Prices won't come down until the consumers show an unwillingness to purchase at the manufacturer's price.

The good news for us budget minded golfers is; there isn't typically a major leap in the technologies from one release year to the next. It is usually just some minor tweaks. A previous years release is usually just as good (in the hands of Joe Amateur anyway) and available at a big price drop from the current year. 

Yeah I mean I know There’s people that will pay that lol. im just like holy crap I think I remember Drivers use to be 300 or 400. I play razr driver and thinking of upgrading to XR or any other brand previous models 

Drivers are $300. I just bought a new Tour Edge Exotics EXS. $299.99. Beautiful club with all the latest technology. Will it make into my bag?

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

If you don't mind used, I got my ST190 head only (looked new) and then bought a new UST VTS TSPX shaft to put in it and come in at just under $330. There are deals out there is you look hard enough even on the newer year models.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using MyGolfSpy mobile app

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

The worst part is that 6-12 months later, something newer and greater than before is released.  Chasing the latest and greatest will set you back a pretty penny.  

Guess someone has to pay for all the advertising and tour player endorsements.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

The cost of everything has been and is continuing to rise. Cars, fuel, homes, wages, insurance, utilities. You name it.

Manufacturers of golf equipment are not immune from the market.

I’m still trying to understand why this is shocking.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

The prices reflect people trying to "buy a game", IMO. Clever marketing plays a roll, as does the need/want for the latest and greatest. As long as people will pay the price.... the price will continue to go up. 

I will NOT pay the price.

Edited by silver & black

Seems nuts but people seem to be buying. Im just a working man.When I buy news its a couple years old. 

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

11 hours ago, bens197 said:

The cost of everything has been and is continuing to rise. Cars, fuel, homes, wages, insurance, utilities. You name it.

Manufacturers of golf equipment are not immune from the market.

I’m still trying to understand why this is shocking.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

This right here. 

I feel like golf has this stigma when it comes to pricing and release cycles because many golfers buy new gear with resale value in mind. When you buy a car, or a home, or a computer, or a guitar, you're usually not thinking about selling it in 6 months. If you look at musical gear, companies are CONSTANTLY coming out with line & model variations, but I never hear complaints about prices. Perhaps because golf is performance driven, there's a "need" to have the latest & greatest to eek out another few yards, or whatever. 

If golfers weren't buying $500 drivers, OEMs wouldn't be pricing them that way. And there's no reason at all why last year's model or even 2 years ago's model won't work just fine for you, at a very steep discount. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

12 hours ago, CarlH said:

The worst part is that 6-12 months later, something newer and greater than before is released.  Chasing the latest and greatest will set you back a pretty penny.  

Guess someone has to pay for all the advertising and tour player endorsements.

it's just like buying a new car or computer.  Once you buy the latest, it becomes old news 6 months later.  Especially with the big manufacturers like Taylor Made and Callaway.

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

The upside is a lot of very discounted products for those willing to be patient for a season or so. If I buy a new driver it's usually last year's model or late in the model year and normally 50-60% of original price.

10-15 years ago drivers were $299-$399 depending on the model so things really have not moved all that much

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

• 3 weeks later...

Well, once you add in the shaft that you fit to you could be looking at one to three hundred dollars more. I am looking at the Ping G400 Max now that they are over a year old and the 410 is out. I'm seeing them at $179 brand new. They were $399 last year. Just a thought for you.

Sent using the MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver:    :ping-small: i20 8.5*, Project X Blue, stiff

Fairway Woods:   :taylormade-small: r9 3W 15*, r9 5W 19* Fujikura Motore 70 stiff

Irons:    :ping-small: i210's 4-UW

Wedges:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 55* :callaway-small: MD3 Milled S Grind 60* 

Putter:    :ping-small: B60i Isopur

On 4/7/2019 at 2:15 PM, Redrider91 said:

First off sorry if this been posted before or wrong section. 

So what is the deal with golf prices on golf clubs. Like the epic flash is almost 600 bucks and the rogue is 500 original price. I mean Maybe it’s just golf galaxy but that’s Insane for people that want to golf and not just have old clubs. I’m just shocked and they wonder why these don’t sell usually. 

I was looking for new irons as a Christmas present in Dec '18. I hit a LOT of clubs and decided on Cobra One Length irons. I bought the last set of F7 OL's in the store at ~35% of their original price. I'm in the process of upgrading everything in my bag as it's all nearly 10 years old. I'm not afraid to buy last year's model if it works. I'm also bringing my current club(s) to any fitting/shopping outing so I can test the new against the current.

Driver - :ping-small: G400 LST

3W & 4H - Orlimar High Energy 2

Irons - :cobra-small:F7 OL (5I - GW)

Wedges -  Top Flight Gamer Tour 52* 56* 60*

Putter - Orlimar HE2

Balls - Vice Pro

Golf is only as expensive as one chooses to make it. Like any hobby there will be bargains to had if one opts for them.

consumer products are on a rise and considering the money spent on r&d and marketing companies have to recoup it somehow.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I don't think you can limit the reason why golf equipment (or any good/service) is so expensive to just one factor. 

1. Rising cost of materials, labor, R&D.
  2. People chasing the latest & greatest.
  3. They charge X dollars because people continue to pay it
  4. Greedy corporations just out to "make a buck".

And on and on it goes.  There is plenty of blame to go around IMO.  With that having been said, I do think a lot of power ultimately lies with the consumer when it comes to pricing.

17 minutes ago, TwoCoatsOfWax said:

I don't think you can limit the reason why golf equipment (or any good/service) is so expensive to just one factor. 

1. Rising cost of materials, labor, R&D.
  2. People chasing the latest & greatest.
  3. They charge X dollars because people continue to pay it
  4. Greedy corporations just out to "make a buck".

And on and on it goes.  There is plenty of blame to go around IMO.  With that having been said, I do think a lot of power ultimately lies with the consumer when it comes to pricing.

That’s the ultimate goal any profit based business right but also any employee of businesses to earn as much as they can. 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

18 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

That’s the ultimate goal any profit based business right but also any employee of businesses to earn as much as they can. 

I completely agree.  I wasn't being preachy.  I was just adding in common reasons given for why some product or service is expensive.

Its frustrating though when you buy a driver and then the new one comes out before you even hit it! Honestly I dont even look at new clubs anymore due to cost!

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

Golf equipment doesn't have to break the bank. Budget conscious golfers all over look to previous model years at good discounts. Look hard enough and you can find plenty of quality product that everyone else is selling back a year later for even cheaper prices.

I find myself looking more now than ever before at the direct to consumer companies, ie the revamped Ben Hogan, Sub70, Maltby's of the world.

I myself am in a position where I'd like to look at a cleaner, more traditional looking iron than my Apex CF 16's. Sub70 is high on my radar. Granted, this is much more of a want than a need as the Apex irons are pretty well fit for me and have a ton of life in them still, but looking at a set that's half the price of a pretty new blade from Mizuno or Srixon has me curious.

Driver: :callaway-small:  Rogue 9*, -1" length
FW: :callaway-small:  Epic SZ 13.5*, 18* -.5" length

Utility: :titelist-small:  816 H2 21*
Irons: :callaway-small: Apex CF 16, std. lenght/lie
Wedges: :mizuno-small:  T7 Blue Ion, 52*, 56*, 60*
Putter: :odyssey-small:  #7S
Ball: K-sig (until I run out)

RH golfer from Detroit, MI with a 14 handicap, working towards single digits

14 minutes ago, Apes44 said:

Its frustrating though when you buy a driver and then the new one comes out before you even hit it! Honestly I dont even look at new clubs anymore due to cost!

Can you elaborate on timeframes here? There’s not a major golf brand that’s releasing on less than a 12 month cycle. Some brands like Callaway have two lines that are on different yearly cycles that allow them to carry each one for 18-24 months

Also a new release doesn’t automatically make the driver just bought stop working or less effective. In most cases the performance difference from year to year is minimal

2 hours ago, Apes44 said:

I hear ya!  My driver, 3W, 5W, and 4H are all Top Flite brand bought at Dick's Sporting Goods.  Through sales and/or coupons I paid $40 or less for each club.  Perfectly adequate clubs that, if I do my part, will hit the ball quite well.

9 hours ago, Curly6 said:

Golf equipment doesn't have to break the bank. Budget conscious golfers all over look to previous model years at good discounts. Look hard enough and you can find plenty of quality product that everyone else is selling back a year later for even cheaper prices.

I find myself looking more now than ever before at the direct to consumer companies, ie the revamped Ben Hogan, Sub70, Maltby's of the world.

I myself am in a position where I'd like to look at a cleaner, more traditional looking iron than my Apex CF 16's. Sub70 is high on my radar. Granted, this is much more of a want than a need as the Apex irons are pretty well fit for me and have a ton of life in them still, but looking at a set that's half the price of a pretty new blade from Mizuno or Srixon has me curious.

I actually Been looking at Ben Hogan line. 

I actually Been looking at Ben Hogan line. 

It’s worth a look.

This topic seems to regenerate itself more often than not. The best thing to do is work within your confines. Some can afford the latest and greatest and some can’t. Some people should be reminded that the happiest people don’t have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything.
  • Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

21 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Can you elaborate on timeframes here? There’s not a major golf brand that’s releasing on less than a 12 month cycle. Some brands like Callaway have two lines that are on different yearly cycles that allow them to carry each one for 18-24 months

Also a new release doesn’t automatically make the driver just bought stop working or less effective. In most cases the performance difference from year to year is minimal

Understood that it doesnt make it less effective, however the feel of the "latest and greatest" is gone.

TM has released new drivers almost every year since 2015, whether it be the same line or not, there is still the perception that you no longer have the newest and greatest. There can also be feelings of well now I overpaid for old tech (true or not). 

Just my feelings on it. The best advice I got is wait 3 weeks til after the newest model of the drive you want comes out and check the used rack because people will trade in the old one and you will pay a lot less. 

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

I think $500-600 is ridiculous for 1 club when you can almost get an entire set of irons for that price.

With certain things, I have tried buying used (like new) items such as woods and drivers.  I bought 2 Ping G400 Max last year in different lofts but before that, I got a used epic and M2 driver.  Sometimes you have to bite the bullet if think you can hit it better than your current club. 

Some people play the same clubs for 10+ years so $600 over a long span of time is not as expensive broken down by value of time.  Those who switch drivers almost annually just like spending money lol.   Just have to figure if the price is worth the gains you receive, whether it's straighter or longer than the old driver.  

:ping-small: G400 Max Driver

:taylormade-small:M2 5-Wood and 3 Hybrid (2017)

🅿️ ✖️ G (Missing logo) 0311P 4-AW

:titelist-small: SM7 50* and 56* Wedges

:callaway-small:px

On 4/7/2019 at 4:22 PM, GregB135 said:

100%  I'm actually going to see my club fitter and (for the first time ever) buy a full set of custom fit clubs.  Here's the kicker, they will be 2017 or '16 models (all brand new) and any shaft option that is best custom fit for me.  I'll have them lofted, lie-checked, and everything for about $1,000.  Can't beat that!

Instagram:  @tony_rosselli_

:SuperSpeed:Training

Pre training max driver speed: 124mph

Current: 130mph

WITB:

Driver: :ping-small:G425 Max, 9*

Woods: :taylormade-small: 2007 Burner TP 3 wood and 5 wood

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z765 4-PW (1 degree flat) with KBS $-130 shafts

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 50/12/F, 54/10/S and 58/12/D

Putter:  L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1

6 hours ago, Apes44 said:

Understood that it doesnt make it less effective, however the feel of the "latest and greatest" is gone.

TM has released new drivers almost every year since 2015, whether it be the same line or not, there is still the perception that you no longer have the newest and greatest. There can also be feelings of well now I overpaid for old tech (true or not). 

Just my feelings on it. The best advice I got is wait 3 weeks til after the newest model of the drive you want comes out and check the used rack because people will trade in the old one and you will pay a lot less. 

Indeed.  I fell out of love for TaylorMade once they started bringing out 2 versions each year (or at least it felt like that often).  Now their new Rocket 3 wood is a whole 'nother story LOL.  That thing is a legitimate missile launcher! 

All drivers are basically at the legal limit nowadays.  I think Ryan Palmer is still using the M1 driver from 2016, so if 'old tech' is good enough for pros who depend on it to earn their living, why wouldn't it be good enough for a weekend warrior?  

Getting custom fit is more important than having the newest model.  My club fitter was telling me that a certain brand's driver from last year was actually a superior product to the new version. 

He also said that if a club fitter does their job properly, a golfer shouldn't need to see them again for at least 5-7 years (or ever, unless something drastically changes in their swing).

Another thing people don't always think about (or manufacturers fail to mention), is that the shaft length of drivers and woods has gotten longer over time.  A longer shaft = more speed (typically).  Also iron lofts have historically gotten stronger (less loft), so that all goes into the equation.

For golfers with enough club head speed, it really doesn't do much good to hit a 7 iron 225.  It's more important to have proper gaping throughout the bag.  I mean if your PW goes 175, you will have some serious issues with the shorter shots.

Edited by ChasingScratch

Instagram:  @tony_rosselli_

:SuperSpeed:Training

Pre training max driver speed: 124mph

Current: 130mph

WITB:

Driver: :ping-small:G425 Max, 9*

Woods: :taylormade-small: 2007 Burner TP 3 wood and 5 wood

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z765 4-PW (1 degree flat) with KBS $-130 shafts

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 50/12/F, 54/10/S and 58/12/D

Putter:  L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1

On 5/3/2019 at 4:16 PM, ChasingScratch said:

Indeed.  I fell out of love for TaylorMade once they started bringing out 2 versions each year (or at least it felt like that often).  Now their new Rocket 3 wood is a whole 'nother story LOL.  That thing is a legitimate missile launcher! 

All drivers are basically at the legal limit nowadays.  I think Ryan Palmer is still using the M1 driver from 2016, so if 'old tech' is good enough for pros who depend on it to earn their living, why wouldn't it be good enough for a weekend warrior?  

Getting custom fit is more important than having the newest model.  My club fitter was telling me that a certain brand's driver from last year was actually a superior product to the new version. 

He also said that if a club fitter does their job properly, a golfer shouldn't need to see them again for at least 5-7 years (or ever, unless something drastically changes in their swing).

Another thing people don't always think about (or manufacturers fail to mention), is that the shaft length of drivers and woods has gotten longer over time.  A longer shaft = more speed (typically).  Also iron lofts have historically gotten stronger (less loft), so that all goes into the equation.

For golfers with enough club head speed, it really doesn't do much good to hit a 7 iron 225.  It's more important to have proper gaping throughout the bag.  I mean if your PW goes 175, you will have some serious issues with the shorter shots.

Isn't that the truth about proper gapping. Thats my biggest problem is I hit the ball far enough with clubs that I don't need the jacked lofts for distance, changed my driver shaft for 3 wood length so that its more accurate and only lost maybe 3-5 yards of distance. When I get to the 8+ irons and wedges takes too much thinking because its not all half, 1/4 or 3/4 swings to get a distance

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA