Jump to content

Golf prices


Recommended Posts

Our Sponsors

First off sorry if this been posted before or wrong section. 

So what is the deal with golf prices on golf clubs. Like the epic flash is almost 600 bucks and the rogue is 500 original price. I mean Maybe it’s just golf galaxy but that’s Insane for people that want to golf and not just have old clubs. I’m just shocked and they wonder why these don’t sell usually. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
2 minutes ago, Redrider91 said:

I’m just shocked and they wonder why these don’t sell usually. 

General market modelling would suggest 'they' are selling enough at those prices to keep pricing the next one a little higher. Prices won't come down until the consumers show an unwillingness to purchase at the manufacturer's price.

The good news for us budget minded golfers is; there isn't typically a major leap in the technologies from one release year to the next. It is usually just some minor tweaks. A previous years release is usually just as good (in the hands of Joe Amateur anyway) and available at a big price drop from the current year. 

  • Like 6

Driver:  PXG 811x Gen1, HZRDS Smoke Yellow 60g S

Fariway:   :titelist-small: 917 F2, 3-Wood Fujikura Blue 

Hybrid:   :ping-small: G410 18*

Irons:  :titelist-small: T300 4-5, T200 6-PW Nippon 880 Pro R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  CBX2 50*, 54*, 58*, TT Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

Putter:  :odyssey-small:  EXO Rossie 34.5" (Tester) 

Link to post
12 minutes ago, GregB135 said:

General market modelling would suggest 'they' are selling enough at those prices to keep pricing the next one a little higher. Prices won't come down until the consumers show an unwillingness to purchase at the manufacturer's price.

The good news for us budget minded golfers is; there isn't typically a major leap in the technologies from one release year to the next. It is usually just some minor tweaks. A previous years release is usually just as good (in the hands of Joe Amateur anyway) and available at a big price drop from the current year. 

Yeah I mean I know There’s people that will pay that lol. im just like holy crap I think I remember Drivers use to be 300 or 400. I play razr driver and thinking of upgrading to XR or any other brand previous models 

  • Like 1
Link to post

Drivers are $300. I just bought a new Tour Edge Exotics EXS. $299.99. Beautiful club with all the latest technology. Will it make into my bag?

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

                                                                               :755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

                                                                                :edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

 

Link to post

If you don't mind used, I got my ST190 head only (looked new) and then bought a new UST VTS TSPX shaft to put in it and come in at just under $330. There are deals out there is you look hard enough even on the newer year models.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using MyGolfSpy mobile app

  • Like 2

 

 

 

What is in my Bag Boy Revolver

Driver:    PXG Gen2 0811x 10.5* set to small + with a VA Composites Nemesys 55s @ 44.75"

Fairway:  :srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Irons: Testing the Titleist T200 irons 4-W2 with Project X LZ 5.5 shaft -1/2" and 1* Up

Wedge: Titleist SM7 56* with Project X LZ 5.0 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Custom Futura X5 flow neck with a UST Frequency Filtered shaft -1" with a SS wristlock grip

Link to post

The worst part is that 6-12 months later, something newer and greater than before is released.  Chasing the latest and greatest will set you back a pretty penny.  

Guess someone has to pay for all the advertising and tour player endorsements.

  • Like 6

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree Alta CB55 Stiff shaft 

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: M6 --- 3 (19 degrees), 4 (22 degrees), and 5 (25 degrees) Atmos shaft R

Irons: :callaway-small:Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW KBS Tour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX-2 52*, 56*, 60* wedges.  Stock shafts.

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Link to post

The cost of everything has been and is continuing to rise. Cars, fuel, homes, wages, insurance, utilities. You name it.

Manufacturers of golf equipment are not immune from the market.

I’m still trying to understand why this is shocking.


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

  • Like 4
  • PING G400 LST 8.5 Evenflow Black 65g 6.5
  • PING G 3W HZRDUS Yellow 75g 6.0
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Maltby TSW 52, 58 Nippon Modus Wedge
  • Bettinardi BB8 Wide
  • Oncore Elixr

 

Rochester, NY

5.6 Index

Link to post

The prices reflect people trying to "buy a game", IMO. Clever marketing plays a roll, as does the need/want for the latest and greatest. As long as people will pay the price.... the price will continue to go up. 

 

I will NOT pay the price.

Edited by silver & black
  • Like 5
Link to post

Seems nuts but people seem to be buying. Im just a working man.When I buy news its a couple years old. 

  • Like 5

DRIVER: Titleist 905R S 10.5

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha XS

Irons- Titleist 716 AP1 S 1/2 over 2 degrees upright

Vokey SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Link to post
2 hours ago, pulledabill said:

Seems nuts but people seem to be buying. Im just a working man.When I buy news its a couple years old. 

Since getting back into golf I am Thinking the same. A few years old isn’t bad. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
11 hours ago, bens197 said:

The cost of everything has been and is continuing to rise. Cars, fuel, homes, wages, insurance, utilities. You name it.

Manufacturers of golf equipment are not immune from the market.

I’m still trying to understand why this is shocking.


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

This right here. 

I feel like golf has this stigma when it comes to pricing and release cycles because many golfers buy new gear with resale value in mind. When you buy a car, or a home, or a computer, or a guitar, you're usually not thinking about selling it in 6 months. If you look at musical gear, companies are CONSTANTLY coming out with line & model variations, but I never hear complaints about prices. Perhaps because golf is performance driven, there's a "need" to have the latest & greatest to eek out another few yards, or whatever. 

If golfers weren't buying $500 drivers, OEMs wouldn't be pricing them that way. And there's no reason at all why last year's model or even 2 years ago's model won't work just fine for you, at a very steep discount. 

  • Like 3

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 R flex 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:cleveland-small:  Smart Sole S
:cleveland-small: #10

Twitter: @russtopherb

 

Link to post
12 hours ago, CarlH said:

The worst part is that 6-12 months later, something newer and greater than before is released.  Chasing the latest and greatest will set you back a pretty penny.  

Guess someone has to pay for all the advertising and tour player endorsements.

it's just like buying a new car or computer.  Once you buy the latest, it becomes old news 6 months later.  Especially with the big manufacturers like Taylor Made and Callaway.

  • Like 3

   Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: :callaway-small:  Apex w/Kuro Kage stiff

     Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

                         9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

    Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Del Mar 34"

Link to post

The upside is a lot of very discounted products for those willing to be patient for a season or so. If I buy a new driver it's usually last year's model or late in the model year and normally 50-60% of original price.

10-15 years ago drivers were $299-$399 depending on the model so things really have not moved all that much

  • Like 2

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

 

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

 

Link to post
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, once you add in the shaft that you fit to you could be looking at one to three hundred dollars more. I am looking at the Ping G400 Max now that they are over a year old and the 410 is out. I'm seeing them at $179 brand new. They were $399 last year. Just a thought for you.

Sent using the MyGolfSpy mobile app

  • Like 1

Driver:    :ping-small: i20 8.5*, Project X Blue, stiff

Fairway Woods:   :taylormade-small: r9 3W 15*, r9 5W 19* Fujikura Motore 70 stiff

Irons:    :ping-small: i210's 4-UW

Wedges:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 55* :callaway-small: MD3 Milled S Grind 60* 

Putter:    :ping-small: B60i Isopur

Link to post
On 4/7/2019 at 2:15 PM, Redrider91 said:

First off sorry if this been posted before or wrong section. 

So what is the deal with golf prices on golf clubs. Like the epic flash is almost 600 bucks and the rogue is 500 original price. I mean Maybe it’s just golf galaxy but that’s Insane for people that want to golf and not just have old clubs. I’m just shocked and they wonder why these don’t sell usually. 

I was looking for new irons as a Christmas present in Dec '18. I hit a LOT of clubs and decided on Cobra One Length irons. I bought the last set of F7 OL's in the store at ~35% of their original price. I'm in the process of upgrading everything in my bag as it's all nearly 10 years old. I'm not afraid to buy last year's model if it works. I'm also bringing my current club(s) to any fitting/shopping outing so I can test the new against the current.

 

  • Like 1

Driver - :ping-small: G400 LST

3W & 4H - Orlimar High Energy 2

Irons - :cobra-small:F7 OL (5I - GW)

Wedges -  Top Flight Gamer Tour 52* 56* 60*

Putter - Orlimar HE2

Balls - Vice Pro

Link to post

Golf is only as expensive as one chooses to make it. Like any hobby there will be bargains to had if one opts for them.

consumer products are on a rise and considering the money spent on r&d and marketing companies have to recoup it somehow.

 

  • Like 1

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to post

I don't think you can limit the reason why golf equipment (or any good/service) is so expensive to just one factor. 

  1. Rising cost of materials, labor, R&D.
  2. People chasing the latest & greatest.
  3. They charge X dollars because people continue to pay it
  4. Greedy corporations just out to "make a buck".

And on and on it goes.  There is plenty of blame to go around IMO.  With that having been said, I do think a lot of power ultimately lies with the consumer when it comes to pricing.

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
17 minutes ago, TwoCoatsOfWax said:

I don't think you can limit the reason why golf equipment (or any good/service) is so expensive to just one factor. 

  1. Rising cost of materials, labor, R&D.
  2. People chasing the latest & greatest.
  3. They charge X dollars because people continue to pay it
  4. Greedy corporations just out to "make a buck".

And on and on it goes.  There is plenty of blame to go around IMO.  With that having been said, I do think a lot of power ultimately lies with the consumer when it comes to pricing.

 

 

That’s the ultimate goal any profit based business right but also any employee of businesses to earn as much as they can. 

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to post
18 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

That’s the ultimate goal any profit based business right but also any employee of businesses to earn as much as they can. 

I completely agree.  I wasn't being preachy.  I was just adding in common reasons given for why some product or service is expensive.

Link to post

Its frustrating though when you buy a driver and then the new one comes out before you even hit it! Honestly I dont even look at new clubs anymore due to cost!

  • Like 1

Driver  :titelist-small: TS 2, Hzrdus Smoke Black Stiff 9.5* Setting, A2

Fairway Wood:   :ping-small: G30 Stiff Shaft

Hybrid:   :titelist-small: TS2 19* Hzrdus Smoke Black Stiff shaft

Irons:     :titelist-small: 718 AP1 (4-PW) AMT Red Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX4 52* 56*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

 

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...