TESTERS WANTED! ×

Shaft question

LoganT

I’m currently playing s300s in my irons and a worker at my local golf shop said I should go to a stiffer shaft. I’ve been reading some and I’m wondering if the nippon modus 120s or 120x would fit me better. Also which project x and kbs shafts would play stiffer than the s300. The worker said I could go to an x100 but he thought a stiff plus would be the ticket.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I've played S400 (132g), Project X LZ 6.5, KBS Tour V in X and X soft-stepped, and KBS C-Taper Lite X. All of these shafts play differently: flights, feel, kick points, etc, so just going stiffer is a little vague. What are you hoping to accomplish by changing? Have you tried other shafts in X before? Have you done a fitting in the past? Do you have a golf store near you where you could try the new Mizuno Shaft Optimizer? I play the Modus Tour 120 X in my current irons and there is a complete difference between these and DG X100/PX 6.0, etc. 

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Get fit by a professional.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I've played S400 (132g), Project X LZ 6.5, KBS Tour V in X and X soft-stepped, and KBS C-Taper Lite X. All of these shafts play differently: flights, feel, kick points, etc, so just going stiffer is a little vague. What are you hoping to accomplish by changing? Have you tried other shafts in X before? Have you done a fitting in the past? Do you have a golf store near you where you could try the new Mizuno Shaft Optimizer? I play the Modus Tour 120 X in my current irons and there is a complete difference between these and DG X100/PX 6.0, etc. 

I know that I want a lighter shaft than the s300 and a smoother shaft if that makes sense. Nothing crazy light but a little lighter would be nice. I haven’t really been fit for irons before only spent a few minutes hitting on the launch monitor in the golf store. I do believe my local golf store has the Mizuno shaft optimizer but I’m not 100 percent sure about that. I have actually hit x100s at the pga superstore before and they didn’t feel much harsher than the s300. I’ve always played dynamic gold shafts and just want something that feels better.

25 minutes ago, LoganT said:

I know that I want a lighter shaft than the s300 and a smoother shaft if that makes sense. Nothing crazy light but a little lighter would be nice. I haven’t really been fit for irons before only spent a few minutes hitting on the launch monitor in the golf store. I do believe my local golf store has the Mizuno shaft optimizer but I’m not 100 percent sure about that. I have actually hit x100s at the pga superstore before and they didn’t feel much harsher than the s300. I’ve always played dynamic gold shafts and just want something that feels better.

Feel is subjective and what feels smooth to me may be harsh to you.  The S300s are a 130gr shaft so you have lots of options in the 120gr range.  I am a fan of KBS shafts and love the Tour; but other KBS shaft feel terrible to me.   Modus are also really nice.   I can suggest lots of shafts,  but unless you swing the club what I say doesn't really matter.   What I recommend may launch the ball incorrectly or not load properly for your swing or you may just flat out hate how the shaft feels.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

The feel of the Modus is incredible! Much smoother than DG, but won’t hit the ball as low. Incredible shafts! I’ve been wanting them again for two years, and now that I have them, I really, really like them!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The guys that have responded before me know a lot more than me but I did use the Mizuno shafts optimizer about a week ago. My number 1 was a Modus 105 and my #2 was the DG105 so I got to hit them one right after the other and PMookie is spot on. After hitting balls the DG 105 was a better fit but I would have gone for the Modus based on feel alone.

Today I was messing around and put a Modus 105 in my current gamer and it was longer and straighter than what I use now. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Feel is subjective and what feels smooth to me may be harsh to you.  The S300s are a 130gr shaft so you have lots of options in the 120gr range.  I am a fan of KBS shafts and love the Tour; but other KBS shaft feel terrible to me.   Modus are also really nice.   I can suggest lots of shafts,  but unless you swing the club what I say doesn't really matter.   What I recommend may launch the ball incorrectly or not load properly for your swing or you may just flat out hate how the shaft feels.   

In the past, I bought single shafts and had them installed in two of my irons to get comparisons. It’s costly, but it’s a way to try them....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’m currently playing s300s in my irons and a worker at my local golf shop said I should go to a stiffer shaft. I’ve been reading some and I’m wondering if the nippon modus 120s or 120x would fit me better. Also which project x and kbs shafts would play stiffer than the s300. The worker said I could go to an x100 but he thought a stiff plus would be the ticket.

I would suggest a professional fitting as well, but I highly recommend the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer 3D. However, they don't offer Nippon in their irons, so it won't come up as an option with Mizuno. I just went this past weekend and tried it out and it suggested that I move into an X-flex in the 125-130 gram weight. Project X 6.5, Project X LZ 6.5, and TT AMT White X100. My current shaft is the AWT 2.0 S, which is a Ping offering 7-iron bring 104 grams.

• In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 6-way
  • :cobra-small: King F9 set to 9*, Tour length Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 S-flex, with GolfPride MCC +4 mid-size
  • image.png.27e1496834233542c5d124bf8b9e3352.png3W - 13*, UST Mamiya 65 Gold S-flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :taylormade-small: SIM UDI 2-iron - 18*, Mitsubishi Diamana Thump 100 X-flex, with GolfPride MCC Align
  • :srixon-small: ZX5 4-5 & ZX7 6-PW, :Nippon: Modus3 120 Tour S-flex, +1/2", with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: - SM8 Tour Chrome, 50.08F - 54.10S - 58.12D, DG Wedge Flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :EVNROLL: Custom Fit 35" ER6 Red at 68 degree lie angle and 4 degrees of loft
  • :Snell: MTB-X            :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope             Tracked by :Arccos:         #WPS 🐗

The guys that have responded before me know a lot more than me but I did use the Mizuno shafts optimizer about a week ago. My number 1 was a Modus 105 and my #2 was the DG105 so I got to hit them one right after the other and PMookie is spot on. After hitting balls the DG 105 was a better fit but I would have gone for the Modus based on feel alone.

Today I was messing around and put a Modus 105 in my current gamer and it was longer and straighter than what I use now. Good luck!

Interesting... I'm pretty sure the Mizuno rep told me that they didn't offer Nippon shafts, so they wouldn't show up in the Optimizer list. Also, I was pretty sure Mizuno's Chris Voshall told Matt and Ian of TXG that Nippon didn't show up for Matt because they don't offer it.
But now you got me wanting to try the Nippon Modus 120 X.

• :cobra-small: King F9 set to 9*, Tour length Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 S-flex, with GolfPride MCC +4 mid-size
  • image.png.27e1496834233542c5d124bf8b9e3352.png3W - 13*, UST Mamiya 65 Gold S-flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :taylormade-small: SIM UDI 2-iron - 18*, Mitsubishi Diamana Thump 100 X-flex, with GolfPride MCC Align
  • :srixon-small: ZX5 4-5 & ZX7 6-PW, :Nippon: Modus3 120 Tour S-flex, +1/2", with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: - SM8 Tour Chrome, 50.08F - 54.10S - 58.12D, DG Wedge Flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :Snell: MTB-X            :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope             Tracked by :Arccos:         #WPS 🐗

Yeah, I'll add another vote for loving the feel of the modus 105. My club head speed puts me on the high side of tour average, the LPGA tour that is. And I believe the modus 105 is the most played shaft on that tour. Who am I to argue with the pros? 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

Interesting... I'm pretty sure the Mizuno rep told me that they didn't offer Nippon shafts, so they wouldn't show up in the Optimizer list. Also, I was pretty sure Mizuno's Chris Voshall told Matt and Ian of TXG that Nippon didn't show up for Matt because they don't offer it.

The Modus 105 is the stock shaft in the Mizuno Hot Metal irons. You would think the Mizuno Rep would at least know that.

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Mizuno offers both the 105 and the 120. They do not offer the 130 I don’t believe.

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

2 minutes ago, Rtracymog said:

Mizuno offers both the 105 and the 120. They do not offer the 130 I don’t believe.

Cool!  Thanks for the info, and I had just (2 minutes ago) looked it up on their website and realized I was wrong.  However, I'm still curious as to why one of the Nippon offerings didn't show up on the list when I used their Shaft Optimizer 3D...and it was a pretty long list of shafts.

3 hours ago, M. Parsons said:

Cool!  Thanks for the info, and I had just (2 minutes ago) looked it up on their website and realized I was wrong.  However, I'm still curious as to why one of the Nippon offerings didn't show up on the list when I used their Shaft Optimizer 3D...and it was a pretty long list of shafts.

Might just not be a good fit for you. Weight and flex are one thing, but the optimizer takes into consideration more than just your club head speed. Release factor and your toe-down angle have a larger impact on what it recommends, I believe. Like in Matt's TxG test of the optimizer, when he slowed down it recommended a softer version of the same shaft, likely because he's making the same swing/timings -- just at a slower pace.

On the topic of Modus, I think they play softer than other OEMs in terms of stated flex. S300's feel like rebar to me, but I'm not a huge loader of shafts

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

This topic seemed like as good of a place as any to post this.

I was doing most wanted testing last night and Sam was mentioning the mizuno shaft optimizer to some students that were at headquarters. After my session I asked Sam if I could see what it recommended. We did the swings and the top shaft for me was KBS Tour 120 in stiff. Don’t remember the next two but my club champion fitting recommended the same shaft.

Have to give a thumbs up to what the shaft optimizer recommends. Looks like I have the right shafts in my irons.

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

4 hours ago, cnosil said:

This topic seemed like as good of a place as any to post this.

I was doing most wanted testing last night and Sam was mentioning the mizuno shaft optimizer to some students that were at headquarters. After my session I asked Sam if I could see what it recommended. We did the swings and the top shaft for me was KBS Tour 120 in stiff. Don’t remember the next two but my club champion fitting recommended the same shaft.

Have to give a thumbs up to what the shaft optimizer recommends. Looks like I have the right shafts in my irons.

I'm wondering if anyone has used the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer to figure out what Driver Shaft would be best for them. I talked to another guy at a different golf shop and he told me that the Optimizer will recommend a list of Driver Shafts based off the data it collects from your three iron swings...I didn't even know that was possible.  I also made a comment in the TXG youtube video in the Optimizer about having one for the Driver, and a guy from Mizuno Europe responded saying the same thing.

Has anyone on here tried a Driver Shaft based off what the Optimizer suggested?

2 hours ago, M. Parsons said:

I'm wondering if anyone has used the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer to figure out what Driver Shaft would be best for them. I talked to another guy at a different golf shop and he told me that the Optimizer will recommend a list of Driver Shafts based off the data it collects from your three iron swings...I didn't even know that was possible.  I also made a comment in the TXG youtube video in the Optimizer about having one for the Driver, and a guy from Mizuno Europe responded saying the same thing.

That's interesting, @cnosil when is your next visit to the lab 🤣

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

I am going to be testing again tomorrow, will see if I can get that done.

That's interesting, [mention=15174]cnosil[/mention] when is your next visit to the lab

My visit for today was cancelled;
Scheduled to test tomorrow so I will see what I can find out. I did text Sam to ask if it does driver shaft recommendations...hoping it does so I can see what driver shaft I should really be playing.

Sam wasn't there today so I didn't get a change to see if I could fit for the driver shaft.   It does do driver shafts;  read the MGS blog article and it said this:  In 2016, Mizuno introduced a modernized user-interface and recategorized its database of shafts by EI profile, rather than the manufacturer stated flex. Mizuno added driver, fairway, and hybrids shafts to the recommendation engine in 2017, and length and lie logic for mid-irons in 2018.

Still want to do a driver shaft fitting and I will try and make sure I get there when Sam is working.  

• 1 month later...