TESTERS WANTED! ×

Super Stroke Fatso 5.0

ole gray

I have a friend who has this big ole whopper on his putter and he is very consistent with it.  Anyone else game a putter grip this large  and If so, what benefit do you find from gaming such a beast?  It looks like you could float down the Mississippi on one of  them Fatso's....   

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

So Ole Gray, I have always strayed to the bigger end of the golf grip line ever since I had the option to go in that direction. First Superstroke was a Fatso 5.0 and I had that for about 18 months. As someone who always had trouble keeping a consistent stroke path, having that larger grip helped me keep my track on path was helpful. The one issue I had over time was feel, it felt after a while that I was putting with boxing gloves on.

Since then I've gone to Flatso Mid (Now branded as Flatso 3.0) and my current grip the Flat Cat Fat. I'm probably regripping off the Flat Cat to a SS Pistol GTR 2.0. So I've been going smaller over time, just for feel as my path has gotten more consistent over time.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

I have a friend who has this big ole whopper on his putter and he is very consistent with it.  Anyone else game a putter grip this large  and If so, what benefit do you find from gaming such a beast?  It looks like you could float down the Mississippi on one of  them Fatso's....   

I put a larger grip on an older Scotty Cameron. It wasn’t a FATSO but it was considerably larger than standard. I then did a little research only to find out my putting stroke was actually the opposite for what is normally recommended for the larger oversized grips. Your friend may simply have a putting stroke that is not complimented by oversized grips.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

1 hour ago, SteddyGolf said:

I put a larger grip on an older Scotty Cameron. It wasn’t a FATSO but it was considerably larger than standard. I then did a little research only to find out my putting stroke was actually the opposite for what is normally recommended for the larger oversized grips. Your friend may simply have a putting stroke that is not complimented by oversized grips.

Ok so I decided to give the fatso a try and I am loving it! 😍 My direction is sooooooo much more consistent and my wrist flipping days seem to be finally at bay. I'll putt with it on my current putter for several more rounds.  Today my new Odyssesy Center Shaft putter is arriving and I may be adding the 5.0 to it as well.  🏌️‍♂️ Time will tell. 

Cleveland

15 hours ago, Berg Ryman said:

So Ole Gray, I have always strayed to the bigger end of the golf grip line ever since I had the option to go in that direction. First Superstroke was a Fatso 5.0 and I had that for about 18 months. As someone who always had trouble keeping a consistent stroke path, having that larger grip helped me keep my track on path was helpful. The one issue I had over time was feel, it felt after a while that I was putting with boxing gloves on.

Since then I've gone to Flatso Mid (Now branded as Flatso 3.0) and my current grip the Flat Cat Fat. I'm probably regripping off the Flat Cat to a SS Pistol GTR 2.0. So I've been going smaller over time, just for feel as my path has gotten more consistent over time.

I'm a new Fatso fan as my putting  yesterday with the 5.0 went down smoother than hot butter on a baked potato!  We'll see how it goes from here 👍

Cleveland

2 hours ago, ole gray said:

I'm a new Fatso fan as my putting  yesterday with the 5.0 went down smoother than hot butter on a baked potato!  We'll see how it goes from here 👍

Coolest of beans Ole Gray. If those slight twitches and path issues are what harmed your stroke in and you like trying to keep it SBST, you'll do very very well with it! Which colorway did you go for?

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

Coolest of beans Ole Gray. If those slight twitches and path issues are what harmed your stroke in and you like trying to keep it SBST, you'll do very very well with it! Which colorway did you go for?

Black/White and it goes awesome with the head. I’ll post a pic or two tomorrow

Cleveland

I have a Winnpro X 1.32 on my putter and LOVE it.. Prior I had used a Winn midsized putter grip and thought it was the same without the taper Boy was I wrong.. But couldn't be happier than a hobo on a  hotdog... 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

I have a Winnpro X 1.32 on my putter and LOVE it.. Prior I had used a Winn midsized putter grip and thought it was the same without the taper Boy was I wrong.. But couldn't be happier than a hobo on a  hotdog... 

hobo on a hotdog is pretty darn happy!

Combined with a faced balanced putter the fatso is slicker than a greased pig at the county fair

Cleveland

5 minutes ago, ole gray said:

emoji38.pngemoji23.png hobo on a hotdog is pretty darn happy!

Combined with a faced balanced putter the fatso is slicker than a greased pig at the county fair emoji200.png

Or maybe a pitbull with a porkchop?? 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

I do. It fits my hands nicely & keeps em quiet. My 2 go to putters have these grips.

34 minutes ago, bullldog said:
On 4/8/2019 at 8:51 PM, ole gray said:

I do. It fits my hands nicely & keeps em quiet. My 2 go to putters have these grips.

It makes an amazing difference for me!  I'm sold 😍

Cleveland

• 11 months later...

Have the SS Fatso on two putters. Definite improvement over the pistol grip style putters in both putting line and distance control.

IMO the only downside is the size of those things and how they fit into golf bags. I have a Sun Mountain C130 cart bag and it has a nice dedicated sleeve for the putter, but the non-tapered bottom of the SS Fatso was catching on the top rim whenever I needed to use the putter. I fixed it by getting a length of PVC tubing for built-in vacuum systems, cutting that to length and inserting it into the putter sleeve. Problem solved. Putter now slides easily in an out - even with that fat grip.

Edited by cycleguy55