2019 Official Forum Member Review-Callaway Epic Flash Drivers

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, sirchunksalot said:

I think it's an underappreciated art form. emoji23.png

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

That and the skulled chip through the rough to a foot 🤣😁😎

Edited by Nunfa0
  • Like 3

And we would only need one club. There is nothing that I have seen that the Flash can not do!
Once sunk a fifty foot putt with the Epic Flash, left a crater where the hole was, but it counted.

I'm still amazed at the forgiveness, I've hit shots that would have been almost unplayable with any other driver I've ever owned.

• Like 6

Some days you have it and some days you don’t. It is amazing how this game can humble you over and over again. Just couldn’t find a swing today. Not with the driver not with the irons not with the putter. Smooth 82 today with a driving handicap of 18.4. Even with that the only reason I was able to shoot that score was because of the forgiveness of the Flash. Still was able to average 261 off tee and 7/14 fairways. One OB and one that caught a tree and went 137. 🤦‍♂️

• Like 3

Some days you have it and some days you don’t. It is amazing how this game can humble you over and over again. Just couldn’t find a swing today. Not with the driver not with the irons not with the putter. Smooth 82 today with a driving handicap of 18.4. Even with that the only reason I was able to shoot that score was because of the forgiveness of the Flash. Still was able to average 261 off tee and 7/14 fairways. One OB and one that caught a tree and went 137.
Having a 261 average after hitting one off a tree at 137 is still a monster day. Great job! We all have days where our whole game goes down a bit, but it's good to know the Callaway still puts up good numbers.

• Like 3

I tell ya, you boys have me convinced! If I was in the market for a driver the Epic Flash would be to of the list to try 😁😎

• Like 1

Only pulled driver 4 times today: 268 fairway bunker, 249, 237 (into wind), 286. I think today was the first time I lost a ball off the tee with Flash in 6 rounds. My swing on the front was garbage today and I don't think even Flash could've bailed me out.

• Like 5

Played nine for Mother's Day with my father-in-law, brother-in-law and sister-in-law. My father-in-law doesn't really warm up and was ready to go right when we got to the course today, which is the polar opposite of my approach. First three holes were rough as a result, but after I settled down a bit the Epic Flash was a monster. 

GAME Golf Round Recap

Shot a 47 (+11) which is the worst round I've had in a while, but it was not the driver's fault. It was easily the best club in the bag today. (Never, ever, ever, thought I'd say that about a driver.)

I bested my drive on the fourth hole from earlier this week. This time I cut even more of the dog leg off, playing a baby fade, carrying 234 yards with pretty much no rollout.

20190512_121443.jpg.d216a10727fdd975b1c6adf2978852b6.jpg

Feeling good after the fourth hole, I put it out 227 yards on the fifth hole, out driving everyone in my group.

20190512_122559.jpg.fdc86c5045953e982aec35fe25c5dc21.jpg

Finished the round with a 228-yard drive that just barely missed the fairway to the right. I may have only hit 4/7 fairways, but it was very close to 6/7. Missed those only by feet.

I am a little disappointed I can't seem to translate my SuperSpeed training to the course, but that's no fault of the driver. I did grab my radar on the final hole and took a second swing that registered 103 MPH. I've seen driver swings without a ball get into the 115-118 range on the same radar, so there is still some work to do there.

Walking up to a tee box with confidence is such a foreign feeling for me. It is so awesome. 

• Like 4

Played nine for Mother's Day today with my father-in-law, brother-in-law and sister-in-law. My father-in-law doesn't really warm up and was ready to go right when we got to the course today, which is the polar opposite of my approach. First three holes were rough as a result, but after I settled down a bit the Epic Flash was a monster. 
GAME Golf Round Recap
Shot a 47 (+11) which is the worst round I've had in a while, but it was not the driver's fault. It was easily the best club in the bag today. (Never, ever, ever, thought I'd say that about a driver.)
I bested my drive on the fourth hole from earlier this week. This time I cut even more of the dog leg off, playing a baby fade, carrying 234 yards with pretty much no rollout.
20190512_121443.jpg.d216a10727fdd975b1c6adf2978852b6.jpg
Feeling good after the fourth hole, I put it out 227 yards on the fifth hole, out driving everyone in my group.
20190512_122559.jpg.fdc86c5045953e982aec35fe25c5dc21.jpg
Finished the round with a 228-yard drive that just barely missed the fairway to the right. I may have only hit 4/7 fairways, but it was very close to 6/7. Missed those only by feet.
I am a little disappointed I can't seem to translate my SuperSpeed training to the course, but that's no fault of the driver. I did grab my radar on the final hole and took a second swing that registered 103 MPH. I've seen driver swings without a ball get into the 115-118 range on the same radar, so there is still some work to do there.
Walking up to a tee box with confidence is such a foreign feeling for me. It is so awesome. 

Great job today@edingc! Sounds like you were hitting them solid. I found that the SuperSpeed training translates quicker on the range than the course, I guess it's a mental thing. Once it does, you'll be way past your playing partners. That one drive 234 with no rollout was a bomb!

It sounds like you had a great day with the family, that's awesome!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

Great job today@edingc! Sounds like you were hitting them solid. I found that the SuperSpeed training translates quicker on the range than the course, I guess it's a mental thing. Once it does, you'll be way past your playing partners. That one drive 234 with no rollout was a bomb!

It sounds like you had a great day with the family, that's awesome!

It was a lot of fun, even though my score wasn't great. Just left a lot of approaches in bad spots, which led to a lot of poor putts.

It was definitely a laid back round which may have contributed to my driver being so accurate. Not a lot of tension in my swing today.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, edingc said:

The speed will come out of the blue one day. If you are getting that speed without a ball I would guess as the season progresses you will see some jumps. It is a difficult thing to "let it go" on the course during a round. 

The Flash drips confidence out of every pore. It screams hit me. Careful though, because I have so much confidence in it I have to dial it back a little at times. 

Keep it up. Love seeing the improvements. 

• Like 3

Played with the loft/draw settings some at the range today. Ended up settling on turning the head down 1 degree to 9.5 and setting the driver to draw setting. Seemed to be getting decent results with that combo. Since switching in the Tensei Blue the ball flight has been quite a bit higher than with the HZRDUS Smoke. Based on the Swing Caddie estimations, turning the driver down a bit should increase my carry distance slightly. I am planning on playing nine again tomorrow morning before work, so we'll see how it translates to the course.

I had some great lighting on Friday and a new phone to play with, so I snapped some pictures of the driver. I have played over 100 holes and hit at least 500 range balls, but it still looks almost brand new. There are a few small scuffs on the bottom, but there is no other noticeable wear. The face is still relatively clean as well!

20190510_182039.jpg.e7875ca8affe50d156bbb79a53fc89ea.jpg20190510_182052.jpg.87826e354fe300bade672626ff87688c.jpg20190510_182029.jpg.69fcce204a5804c383202bf2c15adcd7.jpg

• Like 5

Course had a frost delay this morning so I couldn't get out before work. My boss let me swap my planned vacation time to the afternoon, but I had a family emergency stop my round after the third hole (all is fine, thankfully).

Was even par through those three holes. Three drives with the Epic Flash - 232 yards (missed fairway by two feet to the right), 228 yards (hit a tree on the right side of the fairway), 220 yards (fairway). Not a single drive was hit in the center of the face and the third one was a huge pop up. Talk about forgiveness.

EDIT: Should add that I hit all three GIR largely because of my position off of the tee box.

• Like 6

I got out after work and was able to get nine holes in. My entire game was a raging dumpster fire with the exception of the driver. I ended up shooting a 53, but had the lowest driving handicap I've had for a round yet. Plus, I averaged 229 off the tee on a day where we had enough rain to make the fairways soft. Screenshot_20190515-182620-01.jpegScreenshot_20190515-182626-01.jpeg
My round highlight was my tee shot on three, while it wasn't my longest it was the most significant to me. When I started the SuperSpeed training I had two goals, be able to reach the green on 12 off the tee and hit one over the creek that crosses 3. I was finally able to clear it today.
Screenshot_20190515-192501-01.jpeg20190515_165119-01.jpeg
I'm still amazed at the forgiveness that Callaway was able to pack into this driver, I hit one a bit on the toe and still got decent yardage due to a left to right slope on the eighth. Screenshot_20190515-185322-01.jpeg
I'm really not happy with the overall state of my game today, but I'm ecstatic with how the Epic Flash Sub Zero just keeps performing.

• Like 6

53 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

I got out after work and was able to get nine holes in. My entire game was a raging dumpster fire with the exception of the driver. I ended up shooting a 53, but had the lowest driving handicap I've had for a round yet. Plus, I averaged 229 off the tee on a day where we had enough rain to make the fairways soft. Screenshot_20190515-182620-01.jpegScreenshot_20190515-182626-01.jpeg
My round highlight was my tee shot on three, while it wasn't my longest it was the most significant to me. When I started the SuperSpeed training I had two goals, be able to reach the green on 12 off the tee and hit one over the creek that crosses 3. I was finally able to clear it today.
I'm still amazed at the forgiveness that Callaway was able to pack into this driver, I hit one a bit on the toe and still got decent yardage due to a left to right slope on the eighth. Screenshot_20190515-185322-01.jpeg
I'm really not happy with the overall state of my game today, but I'm ecstatic with how the Epic Flash Sub Zero just keeps performing.

Woah!! 5.3 with a deviation of 16 yards. THATS AWESOME!!

• Like 2

Woah!! 5.3 with a deviation of 16 yards. THATS AWESOME!!
Thank you! I was really surprised at the end of the round when I saw the stats. Not the approach, chipping, or putting ones - I knew they were terrible, but I just can't get over how good this driver performs for each of us. Everyone is just killing it!

• Like 1

I also got out and played 9 after work today. I roped one left across my body trying to smash it and thought I was going to take down a pretty big tree branch. Instead, it just launched a million feet straight up and landed 125 yards lol. Aside from that, Flash was great! Most of these were into wind aside from hole 10(we played the back), and with a Snell MTB Black which honestly feels much shorter than TP5x. The first hole was down wind and I absolutely smoked it, I expected to see a 3 in front of that distance when I walked up to it. The fairways were fluffy so maybe I didn't get any roll out, but I'm guessing it was the ball.

Screenshot_20190515-174252.jpeg.0fca07d167f2c4e627ba0512a81883b9.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 7

10 hours ago, sirchunksalot said:

Mate you just keep getting better and better with this driver! 😁😎

Have any of you seen a significant change in shot shape from your previous gamer?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nunfa0 said:

Mate you just keep getting better and better with this driver! 😁😎

Have any of you seen a significant change in shot shape from your previous gamer?

My ball generally stays on the same hole now. 🤣

In all seriousness, when my swing has been right I've been playing a predictable baby fade with a nice mid-piercing trajectory. I think every one of my great drives that I've posted here has had that same shot shape.

Certainly improving my game has also contributed to my success on the tee box, but as I mentioned in my Stage 1 review, confidence is a big issue with me. I feel confident stepping up to the tee with the Epic Flash in my hands.

• Like 1

Mate you just keep getting better and better with this driver!
I've definitely seen a difference, the ball goes a lot straighter than before. I will still occasionally slice one, but even that is a lot less severe. Most of my misses now are just straight up pulls and those get in line and stay that way.

I'm looking forward to seeing how you guys hit the F9 and how it performs. That was the driver I was drooling over at the start of the year.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

I've definitely seen a difference, the ball goes a lot straighter than before. I will still occasionally slice one, but even that is a lot less severe. Most of my misses now are just straight up pulls and those get in line and stay that way.

I'm looking forward to seeing how you guys hit the F9 and how it performs. That was the driver I was drooling over at the start of the year.

I think, just from my initial practice with it, that we may just give you boys a run for your money 😁😎

• Like 3