Golfspy_CG2

2019 Official Forum Member Review-Callaway Epic Flash Drivers

1 hour ago, Grand Stranded said:

@THEZIPR23 is a very good golfer, so the reason why they did that for him might differ from a mid or high cap player. His swing is so good any club only needs a tweak probably.

Players on my level? A different story, sadly.

I was told at the Callaway Performance Center we used to have on site in my golf community that I needed to play a 9 or 9.5 driver then loft up. The reason was raising the loft would close the face, which would help me square it up with my over the top swing. A 9 or 10.5 loft preset club would not help, although my "pull fade" had plenty of distance. Lofting down from say 12 to 10.5 would open the face and make things worse because of my out to in path.

Fixing that path was/is the hardest thing for me. I still revert back to my "bad" swing quite often. TBH I think I might have been better served just swinging my swing. All the time and struggle to fix an ingrained move is really hard, and caused many frustrating moments.

Thank you for the kind words.

You hit the nail on the head with the lofting down opens the face. 

Fixing an ingrained move is very difficult. I am still in the process of fixing 3 in my swing. It takes work and some bad golf but the results have paid off. The best way I found was very deliberate and exaggerated moves. I even played full rounds only swinging and about 3/4 because I struggled taking it from the range to the course.  

• Like 2

I had my worst round distance wise in a long time today. I only averaged 200 yards off the tee with a longest drive of 251 while competing in the MGS Hard Rock Challenge. I felt some pain yesterday at work while lifting a wiring harness. For those of you that don't know, I work in automotive assembly building cockpits and it can be physical. I had a harness get tangled and my upper back wasn't too fond of it. The pain has gone away, but I think it left me tentative about going all out.

I did, however, have a day that saw the Epic Flash Sub Zero land 9/13 in the fairway and I hit 9/18 greens. One of the fairway misses was down the pipe, but landed in a creek that crosses the hole. I shot 51 on the front, but I shot a personal best 42 on the back where I hit 4/6 fairways. I'm still surprised by the forgiveness that this club offers.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 3

Couldn't hit the fairway to save my life today. However, with the weather warming up and the fairways drying out, finally, the distance is starting to follow.

Tee shots that were not clipped down by trees today: 232, 237, 236, 240, 249 and 235 yards. Overall, I'm still very happy with those numbers and they are giving me much shorter second shots allowing for birdie opportunities and easy pars. The Epic Flash makes for a very stress-free round.

Lots of time at the range this week being devoted to hitting them in the general direction of the fairway, however...

• Like 5

I got out today celebrating the start of summer shutdown by shooting a 97. The driver performed great again today hitting 7/13 fairways. My distance was down, only averaging 223. I just couldn't let loose with the driver. I think I was out of sync and was trying to rush the downswing. I did hit a couple of bombs, including on the 12th, where I'm trying to desperately hit the green on a par 4.Screenshot_20190628-212615-01.jpeg
Now I just wish Callaway made an Epic Flash putter that would help me get below 40 putts a round. I had 41 today and know where I really need to work on my game. I did sink one that was impressive. I got to the green on 8, a past five, and sunk a putt of 27 feet. If you look closely at the picture you can see some black spots near the hole. Those are hornets. They were swarming all around the green and I wanted off there as soon as possible and got lucky.

• Like 3

This past week, I purchased Monte Scheinblum's "Drive 4 Dough" video series. I had been struggling with the driver lately (a lot of shots lost right), and was looking for some help. Monte's YouTube videos have always resonated well with me, so I was willing to spend the $40 for the videos.

I made a few tweaks to my swing as a result of some of his stuff. The biggest tweak was a much stronger grip. He also explained the external rotation of the right arm in a way I had not heard before. Something clicked and I took that swing thought to the course.

Additionally, at the range Friday I made a few changes to the hosel and weight settings. On Wednesday, I began hitting huge draws toward the end of my round. I left the hosel turned down 1 degree, but put it back into neutral setting. I also moved the weight to the center of the club from the draw position.

I'm still figuring out directional stuff with the new tweaks, but did I have an awesome driving day for me today.

The Epic Flash smashed seven drives over 240 yards, including drives of 255, 259, 262, 266 and 277 yards. 

I am also happy to report I did not hit the high weak, ballooning fades that have hindered my last few rounds. 

Hole No. 15 at my home course is a 267-yard par 4 that plays all uphill. My best effort so far this season has been to leave the ball about 25 yards short of the green. Today, I smoked my drive almost too far, and it ended up pin high left of the green. Any further and it would have hit the pop machine and portable restroom tucked behind the green! 😄

IMG_30062019_191933_(800_x_1080_pixel).jpg.cf7752cc6c8cc350f943c926b96fac61.jpg

• Like 2

This past week, I purchased Monte Scheinblum's "Drive 4 Dough" video series. I had been struggling with the driver lately (a lot of shots lost right), and was looking for some help. Monte's YouTube videos have always resonated well with me, so I was willing to spend the $40 for the videos.
I made a few tweaks to my swing as a result of some of his stuff. The biggest tweak was a much stronger grip. He also explained the external rotation of the right arm in a way I had not heard before. Something clicked and I took that swing thought to the course.
Additionally, at the range Friday I made a few changes to the hosel and weight settings. On Wednesday, I began hitting huge draws toward the end of my round. I left the hosel turned down 1 degree, but put it back into neutral setting. I also moved the weight to the center of the club from the draw position.
I'm still figuring out directional stuff with the new tweaks, but did I have an awesome driving day for me today.
The Epic Flash smashed seven drives over 240 yards, including drives of 255, 259, 262, 266 and 277 yards. 
I am also happy to report I did not hit the high weak, ballooning fades that have hindered my last few rounds. 
Hole No. 15 at my home course is a 267-yard par 4 that plays all uphill. My best effort so far this season has been to leave the ball about 25 yards short of the green. Today, I smoked my drive almost too far, and it ended up pin high left of the green. Any further and it would have hit the pop machine and portable restroom tucked behind the green! 
Congratulations on those monster drives! That 277 is an absolute bomb!

• Like 1

On 6/28/2019 at 9:42 PM, sirchunksalot said:

I got out today celebrating the start of summer shutdown by shooting a 97. The driver performed great again today hitting 7/13 fairways. My distance was down, only averaging 223. I just couldn't let loose with the driver. I think I was out of sync and was trying to rush the downswing. I did hit a couple of bombs, including on the 12th, where I'm trying to desperately hit the green on a par 4.Screenshot_20190628-212615-01.jpeg
Now I just wish Callaway made an Epic Flash putter that would help me get below 40 putts a round. I had 41 today and know where I really need to work on my game. I did sink one that was impressive. I got to the green on 8, a past five, and sunk a putt of 27 feet. If you look closely at the picture you can see some black spots near the hole. Those are hornets. They were swarming all around the green and I wanted off there as soon as possible and got lucky.

Have you checked out the Strokelab thread.  I personally think it's the best line Callaway has released this year.  They are that good! 

4 hours ago, edingc said:

Hole No. 15 at my home course is a 267-yard par 4 that plays all uphill. My best effort so far this season has been to leave the ball about 25 yards short of the green. Today, I smoked my drive almost too far, and it ended up pin high left of the green. Any further and it would have hit the pop machine and portable restroom tucked behind the green! 😄

I know Monte well.  He comes to my course each year to host his 2 Day Clinic for the DC\Baltimore area. 

He does have a great way of explaining concepts thst you don't usually hear. 

• Like 2

I have been keeping an eye on the Stroke Lab review, those guys are doing a great job putting (no pun intended) them through their paces. I've hit some of the O Works putters and really like the Micro Hinge inserts. They seem to help me with distance control, from my experience.

As my swing evolves, the performance of the Epic Flash continues to increase. Combined with the tweaks I made from the Drive for Dough series, I started standing slightly further away from the ball with more forward bend. This has really helped to flatten my downswing some. My biggest flaw had been an over-the-top downswing that created a lot of spin.

The last five rounds have been much better than earlier in the season:

image.thumb.png.c0f28700e1e63336d859b2d048a3a28e.png

I'm inconsistent, which is to be expected given my unofficial handicap that keeps floating between 14 and 15. But, I'm seeing a lot more balls hit the 250+ distance mark. I even had back-to-back 260+ yard drives during my 18 this morning, which is a first for me. Good stuff.

Callaway Pre-Owned had a good deal on a HZRDUS Yellow 65 stiff shaft with the Optifit adapter. As you may remember from here ...

... the HZRDUS Yellow seemed to be the best fit for my swing. I can't wait for that package to get here.

Also, a first for me this morning. Finally drove the green on No. 15, the 267-yard par 4. Missed my eagle putt from here, though. But, I'll always take a tap-in birdie!

IMG_14072019_152130_(800_x_1080_pixel).jpg.474d5fe47ea8567c6e37d864943f3576.jpg

• Like 4

As my swing evolves, the performance of the Epic Flash continues to increase. Combined with the tweaks I made from the Drive for Dough series, I started standing slightly further away from the ball with more forward bend. This has really helped to flatten my downswing some. My biggest flaw had been an over-the-top downswing that created a lot of spin.
I'm inconsistent, which is to be expected given my unofficial handicap that keeps floating between 14 and 15. But, I'm seeing a lot more balls hit the 250+ distance mark. I even had back-to-back 260+ yard drives during my 18 this morning, which is a first for me. Good stuff.
Callaway Pre-Owned had a good deal on a HZRDUS Yellow 65 stiff shaft with the Optifit adapter. As you may remember from here ...
... the HZRDUS Yellow seemed to be the best fit for my swing. I can't wait for that package to get here.
Also, a first for me this morning. Finally drove the green on No. 15, the 267-yard par 4. Missed my eagle putt from here, though. But, I'll always take a tap-in birdie!

That’s awesome! Great story of improvement with the driver! I enjoy the HZRDUS yellow too, I might like the evenflow blue/black even more. Have you given those a try?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

[/url] ... the HZRDUS Yellow seemed to be the best fit for my swing. I can't wait for that package to get here.

BOMBSQUADDDDDDDD!!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2
  • Love 1

48 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

That’s awesome! Great story of improvement with the driver! I enjoy the HZRDUS yellow too, I might like the evenflow blue/black even more. Have you given those a try?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks!

I tried both of them during my Trackman fitting. Both were higher spin for my swing at the time. I can't recall if I liked the feeling or not.

My mission has been to get myself inside-to-out on my swing. If I can consistently start hitting 240-260 carry, say 7-of-10 times, I know I will need to go back for another fitting.

12 minutes ago, yungkory said:

BOMBSQUADDDDDDDD!!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

💣💣💣

• Like 1

I played nine holes today, while the distance wasn't all there, the accuracy with the Sub Zero was amazing. Hit 6/7 fairways on my way to shooting 47. On the distance, I will say that I was all over the clubface and was playing after a good rain storm last night. I wanted to get out early because the initial forecast called for more rain at 1, it's now 7 p.m. and the sun is still shining.

• Like 3

Thought I'd join in with you guys keeping the thread up to date. I probably had one of my best days off the tee in a long time last week. I had the potential to make a decent number, but of course my best day driving is paired up with my worst day putting. I posted this in the "How'd you play" thread last week but I'll share how Flash is performing. With the Xander news, I wouldn't be surprised if this particular head was juiced as well.

image.thumb.png.03524263971dd527f738b9ac36e84763.png

Aside from the one I blocked on #16 this was an absolutely insane day for me. 1 and 17 play straight down wind and on the flip side, 9 and 18 are straight back in your face. It's crazy how well I hit this driver and how much it helps me score (when I can putt).

• Like 4

Just now, yungkory said:

Thought I'd join in with you guys keeping the thread up to date. I probably had one of my best days off the tee in a long time last week. I had the potential to make a decent number, but of course my best day driving is paired up with my worst day putting. I posted this in the "How'd you play" thread last week but I'll share how Flash is performing. With the Xander news, I wouldn't be surprised if this particular head was juiced as well.

image.thumb.png.03524263971dd527f738b9ac36e84763.png

Aside from the one I blocked on #16 this was an absolutely insane day for me. 1 and 17 play straight down wind and on the flip side, 9 and 18 are straight back in your face. It's crazy how well I hit this driver and how much it helps me score (when I can putt).

What kind of swing speed are you working with the days?

1 minute ago, edingc said:

What kind of swing speed are you working with the days?

The only recent time I've had it measured was during my indoor Trackman fitting when I got fit for our test. It was 103-105, but I don't know how accurate that is indoors with Trackman. I've read some conflicting things online, but I assume it's accurate enough.

My playing distances on the course line up with the Senior Tour numbers in the chart below, almost exactly +/- a few yards:

Image result for trackman carry numbers swing speed chart

Arccos "smart" distances:

image.thumb.png.6ec192029d654d12462e2089b52e3573.png

• Like 5