Golfspy_CG2

2019 Official Forum Member Review-Callaway Epic Flash Drivers

It's going to be a lot of fun to follow along and I can definitely tell how excited both of you are to get it all started and going. Awesome to hear things are looking good so far!
How do you guys like the stock GP Align grips? 
I really like the Align grips as they give me a better feel for consistent hand positioning. I was at the range today struggling with consistency when this older gentleman encouraged me to take a stronger grip. I was able to place the Align into the first joint on my fingers and get repeatable positive results.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Apolloshowl said:

I had just put new align’s on all my other clubs, so it was perfect for me. It had been years since I had felt a reminder in a grip. It works well but to me is very subtle too, This is first club I have ordered in a long time that came with stock grip which is nice. As @edingc said with the optifit, the grip stays when adjusting. I wouldn’t recommend the align grip on an adjustable club that doesn’t. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Apolloshowl said:

It's going to be a lot of fun to follow along and I can definitely tell how excited both of you are to get it all started and going. Awesome to hear things are looking good so far!

I don't really notice the spine helping with "alignment" it's just a "firm" section of the grip. I don't even notice it in my glove hand to be honest.

• Like 1

My stage one is up!

Sorry you all are seeing it a day late, time zones and stuff.

For those reading the thread, please don't hesitate to ask us testers questions. Also, if you have any feedback feel free to let me know how I can provide a better test for you. You might have noticed in the driver swing videos I shot today that I'm swinging my TS2. I was sent the wrong shaft after the mods submitted my specs, and I'm still waiting for the replacement. You might've also noticed the MGS hat, go get you one. With that said, any feedback I have regarding the driver is currently based off of me hitting it during my fitting.

• Like 6

Looking at all the photos again makes me realize just how nice looking the Epic Flash is. The carbon fiber crown is, for lack of a better term, hot!

Wonderful Michigan weather isn't going to be conducive to hitting the range for the rest of the week. They are even talking some snow again 😭. Hoping to get at least nine holes in Saturday evening. The forecast calls for mid to upper 40s and maybe some sun. 

And I'll echo @yungkory. If there are any questions I can answer or photos I can provide, please let me know! I will have some GAME Golf stats to look at during testing, and next week I'm planning to take my foot spray powder to the range and look at correlation between impact location and ball speeds.

• Like 5

First question for you guys, will this driver save every one of us?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Berg Ryman said:

From a burning building, probably not.

Tongue-in-cheek aside, the Flash Face seems to be every bit as forgiving as Callaway has made it out to be. I really feel like I'm not being punished terribly for missing the sweet spot. I may give up some distance, but I've had a hard time getting the ball to do anything but go straight.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Berg Ryman said:

It depends on what you need saving from. I have 6 rounds in with it, unable to access stats now but I will post them later. The dispersion is better than any driver I have hit. I am continually amazed by the complete lack of side spin. I have always been able to move the driver, mainly left, but I don’t think I have hit any that have moved more than 10 yards. Yes I can still miss fairways but it is 95% due to starting line rather than curve. 

• Like 3

I can't believe I made a Flash Gordon joke, yet got serious answers about a driver. Best golf forum on the internet? Undoubtedly. 

• Like 5

Nice start guys, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

Right now, I think it's trying to destroy me. It's been a tale of whatever day it is for me. I've had three range sessions and two rounds with it. My first time at the range, I hit four balls into places I've never been able to reach. My next time was average, hit more bad than good. This last time I came out feeling pretty positive.

The first round with the Epic Flash Sub Zero was phenomenal! Shot 93, a personal best where I hit 6/13 fairways and the ones I missed didn't penalize me too much. My second round, a week later, I couldn't do anything right. I hit 4/13 correct fairways and left myself a lot of shots under branches that I managed to hit. I developed a bad hook that was just killing my round. I couldn't hit anything that day, from driver to wedge. I'm going to chalk that up to just a bad day.

One of the things I will say about the Callaway is out scorches the ball. It just feels like the ball rockets off the face. I'm heading out in a bit to play nine and see how it goes.

• Like 2

I played nine holes after work, and I think I'm starting to get a better feel for the Epic Flash. I only hit 2/7 fairways, but most of my misses were close. I had the lowest driving handicap for a round that I've had since tracking with Arccos. Screenshot_20190410-194919.jpeg
I pretty much was able to eliminate most of my shots left, and the ones that did go right weren't huge banana balls.

Hit one off the toe on number 7 and still feel the Epic Flash Sub Zero gave me great distance on a bad hit.
Screenshot_20190410-195532-01.jpeg

I did proceed to live up to my name on the second shot and and got a little chunky with my 7 iron.

• Like 4

6 rounds tracked with Epic Flash, fairway percentage is up and my miss left has been dropped significantly. Also the smart distance is a few yards longer, but all that pales in comparison to the 10 yards I have gained on the low range. That is an enormous jump on balls missing the center.8C636E3D-182A-4145-959C-010D5811F873.jpeg.94d5911c9f74ecc9063dcebab82d2b8a.jpeg0CE7BB5E-B547-40DC-B655-C697D69EAE73.jpeg.1ed938e1ce91cbe3d3ee2500a3329fc4.jpeg

On Sunday I was hitting the ball about as good as I can. The 13th hole is a 506 yard par 5. The last bunker is 284 carry. I took dead aim at the center of it, the result is below.2DC51E71-9292-4918-B8C9-E31E4C44B434.thumb.jpeg.050d4be4145107c25f697f22a3022976.jpeg

When hit flush this thing is a rocket.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

6 rounds tracked with Epic Flash, fairway percentage is up and my miss left has been dropped significantly. Also the smart distance is a few yards longer, but all that pales in comparison to the 10 yards I have gained on the low range. That is an enormous jump on balls missing the center.8C636E3D-182A-4145-959C-010D5811F873.jpeg.94d5911c9f74ecc9063dcebab82d2b8a.jpeg0CE7BB5E-B547-40DC-B655-C697D69EAE73.jpeg.1ed938e1ce91cbe3d3ee2500a3329fc4.jpeg
On Sunday I was hitting the ball about as good as I can. The 13th hole is a 506 yard par 5. The last bunker is 284 carry. I took dead aim at the center of it, the result is below.2DC51E71-9292-4918-B8C9-E31E4C44B434.thumb.jpeg.050d4be4145107c25f697f22a3022976.jpeg
When hit flush this thing is a rocket.
BDZ!!

In other news, I'm looking forward to Friday, and playing on Saturday!!!
Screenshot_20190410-152320.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 4

Great stage 1s guys. Question for THEZIPR23, why did they dial down a 10.5 to 9.5 for you? Do they not offer a 9.5? Or dial up a 9? Thanks

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

Great stage 1s guys. Question for THEZIPR23, why did they dial down a 10.5 to 9.5 for you? Do they not offer a 9.5? Or dial up a 9? Thanks

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

9 & 10.5 are the options. We started with 10.5 because my gamer was launching a hair on low side and my miss is low on club face. The Flash set at 10.5 it was too high. Set it at 9.5 and launch was perfect, between 12-14*. It was the least amount of combinations I have tried during a fitting. The first combo he put together was it and the numbers were exactly what we were looking for. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

9 & 10.5 are the options. We started with 10.5 because my gamer was launching a hair on low side and my miss is low on club face. The Flash set at 10.5 it was too high. Set it at 9.5 and launch was perfect, between 12-14*. It was the least amount of combinations I have tried during a fitting. The first combo he put together was it and the numbers were exactly what we were looking for. 

To add to this, it probably helps you more to decrease loft since that opens the face up. IIRC, your miss is normally left? My fitter said the same thing to me and had me hitting the 10.5 turned down to 9.5 as well as the sliding weight in the toe.

• Like 5