TESTERS WANTED! ×

My Club Champion Fitting Experience

Your fitting sounded pretty much exactly the same as what I experienced at the Portland OR center.  I was extremely pleased with the fitting and had similar thoughts regarding having CC build the clubs.  For the same reasons as you, I pulled the trigger to have CC do the work for me.  I only replaced my irons and reshafted my driver, so my cost quote was significantly less, but still higher than I could have had done elsewhere.  I'm glad that I had CC do the work and I am very pleased with my new irons and driver/shaft combo.  Although I haven't played with them very long yet, I already see big improvements over what I previously was playing.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for providing your feedback on your Club Champion fitting experience, @chershey! I got fitted for clubs at RedTail Golf Center in the Portland, OR area due to a friend's reference but was really curious what the fitting experience was like at Club Champion. Great write up!

One question I have for you is if you used a Titleist Pro V1, Callaway CS, or a different ball while getting fitted with for those clubs since those are the golf balls you tend to use on the course? Really curious about this aspect now after MyGolfSpy's ball testing. 

18 minutes ago, TheSandwedgeChef said:

Thank you for providing your feedback on your Club Champion fitting experience, @chershey! I got fitted for clubs at RedTail Golf Center in the Portland, OR area due to a friend's reference but was really curious what the fitting experience was like at Club Champion. Great write up!

One question I have for you is if you used a Titleist Pro V1, Callaway CS, or a different ball while getting fitted with for those clubs since those are the golf balls you tend to use on the course? Really curious about this aspect now after MyGolfSpy's ball testing. 

I used Callaway CS for the club testing which is normally what I use on the course. After seeing the results of the ball test I may be switching to a new ball in the near future though. I'm debating trying both the Bridgestone BX and the Snell MTB-X and seeing how they perform in comparison. They will let you use your own balls if you bring them.

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/9/2019 at 12:14 PM, chershey said:

I know there have been countless discussions on this but I just pulled the trigger and went through a full bag fitting and wanted to give my two cents. Myself and a good friend scheduled the fitting at one of their newer locations in Hilton Head Island, SC, about two hours from my house. Walking in the door, both my fitter, James, and my friends fitter were extremely energetic and enthusiastic which gave me good vibes before we even started. The fitting began with him asking what I wanted to get out of the fitting. I explained that irons and my 3 wood were my two biggest issues. I have a tendency to hit my irons left on every green, sometimes even left of the green, and I'm really inconsistent with my 3 wood. 

I started warming up with my 8 iron on the trackman and finally started taking full swings. He came and watched me hit the last couple of balls and noted that I have plenty of swing speed but my current non-fitted irons are launching and spinning too much.  I hit my current 6 iron (Epic Pro) and was consistency hitting the ball left with not enough distance. He started me out with the Apex Pro head and had me try different shafts. I got the best results from the KBS $Taper shaft in X-Stiff flex. The heavier weight of the shaft just felt better in my hands and I started swinging faster. The Apex Pro head was 10 yards further carry than the Epic Pro. I also mentioned to him that when I was shooting my best scores I was using blades. He put the Callaway Apex MB head on the shaft and I instantly picked up another 5 yards carry with better dispersion. He had me try a few more cavity backs but none of them gave me as good of numbers. He then started having me try different muscle back heads until we settled on the Titleist 718 MBs which performed slightly better than the Callaways. Then he started tweaking the loft and lie of the head until we got the ball flight we were looking for. We settled on 2 degrees strong and 2 degrees flat. I went 6-PW in the MBs and went with a CB 5 iron.

Next was the wedges and he asked if I like to match the wedges to the irons, which I do. So we grabbed the Titleist SM7 heads and he had me take full swings with the 50 degree, which were solid and half swings with the 54 and 58 degree. He checked my turf interaction with a lie board and we settled on the right grinds/bounce. He also let me try his SM7 wedge with a heavier swingweight and I loved the feel, so went with that swingweight.

The putter fitting was after the wedges and didn't take very long. They used SAM putt lab to analyze my stroke with my current putter (a Toulon) and it showed that I'd be better off with a putter with a different neck and less toe hang. After trying a few putters, I really liked the Bettinardi Queen B #10 and the SAM putt lab showed that I had a much better stroke with that head and a half inch shorter shaft. Their putter fitting is probably one of their weaker areas though as they only have a limited number of putters to try from each manufacturer. I'm not sure why they don't have a better selection, but I am happy with what they fitted me into.

Then we moved back to the fitting bays to test some drivers. First, I tried my current driver and was hitting it more inconsistent then I normally do, but I did have a great strike on my fourth and final swing which showed what I was capable of with my current combo. I had decent ball speed on that one but my spin was too high (2800). The mishits before that were all in the 3000s. I play the Titleist TS3 so he was able to try several shafts in that head. The Accra TZ5 65 ended up being the winning shaft and brought my spin down considerably (almost a little too much). We tried that shaft in several other heads but nothing could beat what I was getting out of the TS3 head. He then took the TS3 and adjusted the loft a bit higher and I got even better numbers. In the end, I was hitting it about 15 yards further than my current driver because I could launch it higher with lower spin.

The 3 wood was next. I took some swings with my 3 wood (Titleist TS3) and the distances were very inconsistent. He then tried a few different shafts until we put the Fujikura Ventus in and just like that I started smashing shot after shot the same distance every time. My average carry was 17 yards longer than my best strike with the old shaft. He asked if I wanted to try any other heads and I said I was really happy with this combo, so we stopped there.

Finally we took a look at my ancient Callaway Alpha 815 hybrids. I was hitting them well but they were going more left then I liked. We started with the Callaway Apex19 Hybrids with the Accra TZ5 95 shafts I fell in love with the ball flight and feel. They seemed to fit me so much better than my old hybrids. We tried a few different shafts but the Accra's were the best. I was getting about 10 yards more carry out of them with a higher ball flight. 

After this, I went and watched my friend finish his fitting while they worked up the numbers on everything they recommended. I knew the price was going to be high from reading these forums. All told the clubs and shafts came to about $5300. This includes puring of all the shafts and setting up the clubs to the specs (swingweight, loft, lie, etc.) that I had when I tested. I almost just told them I was going to think about it, so I could get them built elsewhere, but then I decided that it was worth it to me to get them built correctly, and knowing that I had the right clubs would help me stop my golf impulse buying ways whenever my clubs start misbehaving. All the swingweights he fitted me to were very heavy compared to normal and I want to know that I'm going to have those specs on the course. Could I have just gotten everything with specs close to that for a much cheaper price and probably played really well with them. Most likely yes, but I would always wonder if I could have done better. I spent the money 4 days ago and I have no buyers remorse. The point is that you can go in and get a great fitting and buy your clubs elsewhere but if you have OCD about it like I do, you'll probably end up spending a little cash. Overall, I'm as happy as I can be with this fitting and would recommend it to anyone.

Nice write up, thanks for sharing.  How much of the $5300 was just the fitting portion?

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

11 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Nice write up, thanks for sharing.  How much of the $5300 was just the fitting portion?

Retail cost of a full bag fitting is $350.  There are sometimes discounts available.  Fittings for less clubs (i.e. driver only, irons only, etc) will be less.  Their website contains the pricing structure.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

14 minutes ago, CarlH said:

Retail cost of a full bag fitting is $350.  There are sometimes discounts available.  Fittings for less clubs (i.e. driver only, irons only, etc) will be less.  Their website contains the pricing structure.

That's not too bad really.  Closest one for me is SLC... won't my niece be surprised when Uncle Bill shows up 😄.

Just now, fixyurdivot said:

That's not too bad really.  Closest one for me is SLC... won't my niece be surprised when Uncle Bill shows up 😄.

I went for the full bag fitting, even though I was mainly interested in irons and driver.  My fitter opted to lower the cost to just an iron fitting if I were to purchase the irons (which I did).  Even had I not purchased anything through them, the experience was fully worth the cost to me.  It's difficult to discuss monetary advantages or disadvantages because we all have different levels of pain when it comes to money.  For me, there was significant intrinsic value and I was comfortable spending the money for the fitting and I was comfortable spending the money to purchase clubs through Club Champion, even though their costs are at a premium over OEM and most other fitters.  I could have had the same clubs at a lower price, but the intrinsic value of knowing that I'm getting exactly what I was fit for, the fit guarantee, and satisfaction were all a factor in my decision to go with CC.  Not everyone will have the same thoughts on the added cost and that is not only understandable, but perfectly okay.  If we're not fully satisfied with our decisions, there will always be that niggling feeling back there eating away at us.

14 minutes ago, CarlH said:

I went for the full bag fitting, even though I was mainly interested in irons and driver.  My fitter opted to lower the cost to just an iron fitting if I were to purchase the irons (which I did).  Even had I not purchased anything through them, the experience was fully worth the cost to me.  It's difficult to discuss monetary advantages or disadvantages because we all have different levels of pain when it comes to money.  For me, there was significant intrinsic value and I was comfortable spending the money for the fitting and I was comfortable spending the money to purchase clubs through Club Champion, even though their costs are at a premium over OEM and most other fitters.  I could have had the same clubs at a lower price, but the intrinsic value of knowing that I'm getting exactly what I was fit for, the fit guarantee, and satisfaction were all a factor in my decision to go with CC.  Not everyone will have the same thoughts on the added cost and that is not only understandable, but perfectly okay.  If we're not fully satisfied with our decisions, there will always be that niggling feeling back there eating away at us.

This whole thing about OEM's not being able to build to a given set of specs is crazy.  So I should take pause in dropping something north of $1100 for a set of G410's ordered to my fitting specifications?  

This whole thing about OEM's not being able to build to a given set of specs is crazy.  So I should take pause in dropping something north of $1100 for a set of G410's ordered to my fitting specifications?  

No, you shouldn’t... OEM specs, especially Ping’s, are good to go. I’ve even had them put hot melt in a G30 for me for weighting and sound and it was dead-on spec.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

2 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Not at all.  OEM can build to whatever spec you request.  Some are better than others, however.  I can tell you an experience with Callaway several years back....I was working at a golf retail shop and special ordered a set of Callaway clubs directly through our Callaway sales rep under a personal use discount available.  I requested the clubs be +1/2" and 2 degrees upright.  When they arrived, I had to bend all of the clubs to either fix the lie or the loft to specs requested (the lofts were all supposed to be standard but most were off).  I pretty much lost faith in mass production specs after that.  Hopefully, they've gotten better since then (20+ years ago).  But, I always check my clubs now.

30 minutes ago, tchat07 said:

Does club champion knock the cost of your fitting off your cost of clubs?

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

no

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

One of the primary reasons I chose to purchase through Club Champion was because I didn't trust the OEM to get the swing weights correct. I seem to make better contact when the swing weights are at least D9 or higher. When Club Champion builds your clubs they will use things like tip weights to get the swing weight perfect. Some OEMs, like Ping, will most likely build to the exact spec you want but most of the OEMs will either tell you they can't do that or they will mess it up. I was also intrigued by the fact that CC pures all their shafts. That is something OEMs don't offer. As for loft and lie, OEMs will often mess that up as well, but you can easily take your clubs somewhere and get them checked/bent when that happens.

A friend manages one of the CC's and it is definitely worth it.

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5° w/Fujikura Ventus TR

Ping G425 Max 5-7-9 Fairway Woods w/Ping Alta CB

Ping G425 Irons 5-U w/Ping Alta CB (Power-Spec Lofts)

Ping 4.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap

Ping Redwood ZB Putter w/PP58

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Wrap Mid-Size Grips

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to post a quick update after having these new clubs in the bag for a couple of months now. I have to say I couldn't be happier with how they are performing. The longer I have them, the better I seem to hit them. They are already bringing my scores down significantly. The only club I'm still not sure about is the putter they fitted me to. I've been experimenting with some different putters and trying to figure out if I want to go a different direction, but there isn't a single other club in the bag that I'm interested in replacing. Everything is performing exactly like they should be. Getting fitted at Club Champion is definitely one of the best decisions I've made.

• 1 month later...

is there any good research (maybe even by golf spy) that PUREing is worth the extra cost?  i have heard that better known shaft manufacturers have gotten so good at making their shafts consistent that puring might not even be worth it.  i also don't understand if it is so good (and the process isn't difficult) why is that not included with a $350 fitting and $5300 set?

1 hour ago, pmetzger1 said:

is there any good research (maybe even by golf spy) that PUREing is worth the extra cost?  i have heard that better known shaft manufacturers have gotten so good at making their shafts consistent that puring might not even be worth it.  i also don't understand if it is so good (and the process isn't difficult) why is that not included with a $350 fitting and $5300 set?

I think there is a mixture of results on whether it is beneficial and with some searches you can find results that say it is great and some that say it does nothing.   The reason it isn't included is called capitalism;  it is an extra service and if you want it done you have to pay for the service.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

On 7/12/2019 at 6:19 PM, pmetzger1 said:

It was part of the $5300 cost of the set. I have read some differing opinions on pureing. This site did a test and claimed that it made a dramatic difference: https://pluggedingolf.com/does-pureing-a-shaft-improve-performance-golf-myths-unplugged/ but a counter study was done here: https://www.milesofgolf.com/testing-performance-drivers-with-pured-shafts/ and showed that it didn't make much, if any, difference. Note, though, that the first test was done using only a six iron and the second test was done using a driver. Is it possible that it makes a bigger difference with steel shafts than with graphite? I really don't know, but I still like having the piece of mind, knowing that mine went through the process.

Whether puring is voodoo or beneficial is still out for debate depending on who you talk with.  Having done some playing around with shafts and a frequency analyzer many years ago, I'm in the camp that it can't hurt, but have no idea how much it may actually help.  

If you're spending the money to get professionally fit and spending the money to upgrade your shafts to something better than what stock offers, why not spend the few extra dollars to ensure the shaft is at its optimal position?  If you don't do it, there'll always be that little niggle in the back of your mind that maybe you should have.

Having said that, ones personal financial position in life has a lot to do with these types of decisions.  To some people, another 30 bucks per club is a large investment, while others are going to feel that the $300-400 over a $5000 investment is well worth it.  You have to examine your own financial situation.

The only thing I hate about Puring now is if one adjusts their driver settings, it’s likely the shaft won’t be “spine aligned” anymore....

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

3 minutes ago, PMookie said:

The only thing I hate about Puring now is if one adjusts their driver settings, it’s likely the shaft won’t be “spine aligned” anymore....

True dat .... but, you can pull the shaft and reinstall it in the adapter easily enough when you've figured out what position you want with your settings....unless, you are one of those that constantly changes the settings 🙂

7 hours ago, PMookie said:

Yeah, I'm dealing with that situation right now. I've been taking golf lessons and the instructor has improved my angle of attack with my driver, so now I'm bumping the loft down, to avoid launching it too high. I'm getting good results so far, but may get the adapter adjusted if I stick with this setting.

I was back at Club Champion the other day tweaking my driver and the fitter reset the shaft alignment on the spot.