TESTERS WANTED! ×

How long did it take for you to get "good"?

This is my first topic on the forum! I started golfing last August with a box set from Amazon and learning from Youtube videos. I first took a series of group lessons, tried out a few coaches, and then I started working weekly with a coach that I felt I clicked with. We've been making some great progress with my ball striking, but sometimes I feel like when we build in more feels or improve something else in the swing, some of the wheels start falling off again and I feel like I'm regressing. It can get quite frustrating. 

I just wanted to find out from some of the more experienced members of the forum how long it took them before they felt "good" at the game. I put "good" in quotes because I'm not really using an objective metric - more wondering about what your own opinions of "good" are and when did you all start feeling confident on the course. Was there an "Aha!" moment that lead to that confidence?

Edited by scratchmybirdie
Clarity

Driver: :taylormade-small: M4 D-Type

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 2 Max 3HL

Hybrid: :callaway-small: Rogue X 18*

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 21*

Irons: :callaway-small: Rogue 5-AW

Wedges:  :titelist-small: SM7 54*08M, 60*04L

Putter: Wilson Infinite West Loop

:Arccos:

Welcome to the forum!

I'm still waiting for that day to come... I think golfers are never satisfied enough to feel "good".

When my friends tell me they are bored of golf, I ask them: did you beat the game? It's not like a video game where you finish after beating the last boss. If you play off 30, your next goal is 20, then 10... then single... then scratch... why stop there? Let's make it +

For me it's a neverending quest for perfection (same quest for the perfect club) and I'm far far from reaching it.

But yeah, my current swing coach is the best one I've had (and I've gone through 4-5). I book 12 lesson blocks and go to him about once a month after I've practiced enough what we learned last time.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Welcome to the Forum and I agree with Kanoito. No matter how you play, you'll still say I left a few shots out there. Your definition of good will differ from mine but overriding I think of good as being able to play to or beat your handicap

I've been playing competitive golf for 18 years. I'm never satisfied, started at 22 h/c, target was to get into Cat 3 (12-20), came down to 16, next was Cat 2 (6-12) came down to 12, next single figures now at 7. Next target is Cat 1 (0-5). 

On the way I have won medals, match play, doubles and opens which make the journey more enjoyable. They are bonuses along the way.

BTW I very rarely take lessons maybe that's why it has taken me so long to get down to 7. I sort of know the mechanics of my swing and will tend to try and sort things out myself. An hour on the range with 18 years of different swing thoughts is usually enough time to sort things. What I really need is a mind coach. 4 over after 15 holes on Saturday and looking at a nice cut, 5 over for the last 3. 

EYG (Enjoy Your Golf)

Edited by Alf. S

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

Welcome to MGS forums, hope you stay and join in.

I would agree that 'good' is beating your handicap and if you are there or thereabouts regularly then you are def good.

I started with an 18 h/cap and got down to 5 in my first season, but I was playing and practising everyday. The other caveat to that was I did play with friends at the local muni a few times the previous year with 5 assorted clubs from different manufacturers (one even had a wooden shaft and dimples in the face not grooves🙄) so I was able to move the ball forward with my own swing that was grooved from constantly reading John Jacobs book 'Practical Golf' which was full of simple drawings making it easy to understand the swing.

Instruction is now so technical with a plethora of data and P1-P6 essentials. Glad I learned with simple drawings.

Worth checking that book out, I still look back on it when I'm in trouble for a simple cure.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

Golf is the most difficult game to master that I’ve ever played. It takes solid fundamentals and hours of practice to condition muscle memory to the point where you can consistently hit the ball square on the club face to the desired distance. Identifying a time stamped target number is very difficult because it varies so greatly based on a number of factors. I’m a low single digit handicap player and I still rarely feel like I’m good.

Perfect practice leads to perfect performance. Imperfect practice leads to inconsistency and frustration. Taking lessons early and often coupled with range work over actually playing Golf will set you up for the best opportunity to improve more quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

Dunno...it hasn't happened yet and to be honest, I don't think I'll ever class myself as good. Right now I'll say I'm terribly mediocre with some flashes of good mixed with quite a bit of bulls%$#.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I naturally suck at the game, my least crappy season was 2017 as an adult. Best part is I have no idea what the heck I was doing to copy it. I did spend at least 1 hour a day practicing my short game, and hit the range at least 3 times a week and played at least once.

I’ll never be good to my standards again I don’t think.

Good luck anyways.

Welcome to the forums.  I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

I realized I was "good" when I wasn't anymore.  I was much better when I was 18 than I am now.  As soon as I started to really suck, that's when I realized I'd been "good."  I expect that happens to other people as well as they get older, fatter and less flexible.  I'd like to be better, but I'm satisfied with having a good time.  I don't have the time or resources to practice that much and can only squeeze in a round per week at most, so I'm resigned to my fate.

Don't worry about the feeling that you're going backwards sometimes.  It's entirely to be expected, and 25 years of coaching HS sports has taught me it's really common when there's a lot of progress made in a short time.  Think about how much better you must be getting if your coach is adding to what you're already doing.  A good coach wouldn't do that if you weren't progressing.

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

Welcome to the site!  That is a funny question, how long to get "good".  I think you will find that most golfers will say they are not there yet.  A lot of really good players (single digit handicappers) will say, "I'm okay" but most will not say they are good.  I have been playing for 20 years and I am a 7 handicap.  I still don't think of myself as being good.  I am forever chasing that I guess.  I want to be good at this game and I don't think I am there by any stretch of the imagination.  A lot of my friends would say I am good, but I am a 7 and not say a 2.  

To me, a 2 handicap is a good golfer, why, because they are a lot better then me.  However, to them I am sure they would say I want to be scratch.  A scratch player they would classify as good.  So long story short, I guess getting "good" is really ones perception of good.  Just keep chasing the term "good" and you will love this game.  You will hit "good" shots, you will have "good" rounds and you will play on "good" courses.  Enjoy the process and keep working on your game!

Cheers!

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

I've never gotten "good", but I have gotten better.  I started playing at age 37 and have been playing for 30 years.  I started out like most, being unable to break 100.  Took lessons, read books, went to golf schools, still take lessons now and then.   Although I got down to a 7 handicap, there was always something wrong with my game.  Obviously there was something wrong as I was only a 7 handicap.  There's always something to work on in the game, be it your full swing, your chipping, or your putting....something is always awry.  And, just when you think that you've "found it" or have reached that "aha moment", golf jumps up and bites you in your arse and says "no, you don't".

I believe that I reached that level of confidence in my game when I felt that I could play alongside a better golfer comfortably -- that is, not being embarrassed by my play.  Yes, I wasn't as good as some of my playing partners, but I could enjoy the round with them and not feel intimidated by their skill level.  This confidence has little to do with being "good" and more with accepting where you are with your progress.  Golf is not a game of perfect, as Dr Rotella would say.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

You question is very subjective and I won’t answer the “good” part but the aha moment part.
I was a 90s golfer and was tired of scoring in the 90s so I took some lessons. The lessons changed what I did and my swing became uncomfortable. After a few weeks I went out and s*** a 76. At that aha moment I knew I had the potential to play well I just needed to train myself to play at that level consistently.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Welcome to MGS, and great question!

As you mentioned, "good", is a relative term for everyone.

What has helped me has been defining what I want out of golf.  As @SteddyGolf mentioned, this is one of the most difficult sports to master and the game has a way of humbling you time and time again.

Personally, I want golf to provide me an avenue to spend time with my friends and family.  In order for that time to be enjoyable, I cannot allow my ridiculously ego driven expectations for my game to ruin the experience of being with the people I love. 

If I can walk off the course, driving range, or practice green feeling like I had fun and did something to get better, I say that was me being "good" at golf. 

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

Thanks for the great feedback everyone! It's awesome to see how there are so many humble golfers out there even though they're at levels I'm looking to reach.  I enjoy the hard work it's taking to see that incremental improvement (although my wallet isn't enjoying the cost). 

Yes, my question was intentionally phrased to be subjective. I'm a finance quant and data geek, but I also like hearing about people's subjective feelings towards the sport and their own games so I was asking more for the mental side of the game. I often find that when I'm standing at that first tee, I feel unsure about where my game is at that day and don't feel all that confident that I'm going to play well. Then after a few holes I feel like everything is ok, and I get into a flow. Does anyone find that goes away with experience, or do you all still find yourselves feeling nervous as well?

2 minutes ago, scratchmybirdie said:

Then after a few holes I feel like everything is ok, and I get into a flow. Does anyone find that goes away with experience, or do you all still find yourselves feeling nervous as well?

I still get nervous on the first tee of any tournament, but once I'm off the tee, I'm okay.  Other times I get nervous is when I'm playing particularly well and I have a chance to shoot low or break a previously held personal best.   Years ago, I couldn't break 80 and I asked the asst. pro, who happened to be a former LPGA player, what I could do to get past that point as I had shot 80-82 many times on that course.  Her reply...."what are you thinking about on hole 15?"   I quit focusing on that and shot 78 the next day.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

2 hours ago, CarlH said:

I've never gotten "good", but I have gotten better.  I started playing at age 37 and have been playing for 30 years.  I started out like most, being unable to break 100.  Took lessons, read books, went to golf schools, still take lessons now and then.   Although I got down to a 7 handicap, there was always something wrong with my game.  Obviously there was something wrong as I was only a 7 handicap.  There's always something to work on in the game, be it your full swing, your chipping, or your putting....something is always awry.  And, just when you think that you've "found it" or have reached that "aha moment", golf jumps up and bites you in your arse and says "no, you don't".

I believe that I reached that level of confidence in my game when I felt that I could play alongside a better golfer comfortably -- that is, not being embarrassed by my play.  Yes, I wasn't as good as some of my playing partners, but I could enjoy the round with them and not feel intimidated by their skill level.  This confidence has little to do with being "good" and more with accepting where you are with your progress.  Golf is not a game of perfect, as Dr Rotella would say.

That's exactly how I've been feeling with these two steps forward one step back progress I've been making. Golf can feel really brutal sometimes haha. I really like your story of when you started feeling confident because I feel like that's the type of confidence I'm looking for. I can get pretty competitive in just about anything, and I want to be able to play with better, more experienced golfers without slowing down pace of play.

Edited by scratchmybirdie

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

After a few weeks I went out and s*** a 76.

I wish I could s*** a 76...🤣

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Started playing at age 8, now age 68......so still working at it.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I still feel like I’m not “good” because I can shoot 76 and 91 in subsequent rounds in the city championship. Good would be 76 both days.... I have to big a margin of scoring right now. Frustrating, so I can’t say I’m good... Still!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

36 minutes ago, PMookie said:

I still feel like I’m not “good” because I can shoot 76 and 91 in subsequent rounds in the city championship. Good would be 76 both days.... I have to big a margin of scoring right now. Frustrating, so I can’t say I’m good... Still!

76 is in the very upper echelon of scoring numbers. I forget the breakdown, but I'm willing to guess only like 5% (and that might be generous) of golfers shoot 4 over par. You are good, maybe not consistent, but good.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

11 hours ago, Kanoito said:

If you play off 30, your next goal is 20, then 10... then single... then scratch... why stop there? Let's make it +

For me it's a neverending quest for perfection (same quest for the perfect club) and I'm far far from reaching i

... You have pretty much described my journey. Finally made it to a + index last year. Of course I want to improve that index now. I started playing at age 30 and found the game pretty easy and pretty difficult at the same time. The problem for most of us is wanting more. I think most could swing within themselves satisfied with decent distance from their tee shots and decent irons shots. But really, who is satisfied with decent? If we drive it relatively straight as a beginner and 220yds why not strive for 240? And of course if we can manage to get to 240, why not 260 ... or more? That is golf for most of us. 

... Perfection is unachievable, but getting as close to perfection on any given shot is the goal. Every golfer is different, with varying physical skills, hand eye coordination, mental toughness and desire. Having a realistic goal for your physical and mental ability is key and some will get better faster than others, but everyone can get better. That's what makes this game so addicting. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

5 hours ago, CarlH said:

There's always something to work on in the game, be it your full swing, your chipping, or your putting....something is always awry.  And, just when you think that you've "found it" or have reached that "aha moment", golf jumps up and bites you in your arse and says "no, you don't".

I couldn't agree more.  There is always something new that you'll need to work on, I say stay focused on the short game and putting.  I've had +40 putts in one round and 27 the next week.  

Aha moment:  Seeing as how I play to a 19 you probably wouldn't believe me if I told you that less than 2 years ago I shot an Even par 36 on a local 9 hole course.  I thought I had really figured things out, then after a long 6 month lay-off, I went back out and found out that I had developed the shanks, which lead to scores in the 100's and high 90's.  It's getting better now that the shanks are gone, but it's no where close to Even par ("good") again.    

Keep having fun and the "good" will come.  BTW, welcome to the forums, hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

• In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 6-way
  • :cobra-small: King F9 set to 9*, Tour length Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 S-flex, with GolfPride MCC +4 mid-size
  • image.png.27e1496834233542c5d124bf8b9e3352.png3W - 13*, UST Mamiya 65 Gold S-flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :taylormade-small: SIM UDI 2-iron - 18*, Mitsubishi Diamana Thump 100 X-flex, with GolfPride MCC Align
  • :srixon-small: ZX5 4-5 & ZX7 6-PW, :Nippon: Modus3 120 Tour S-flex, +1/2", with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: - SM8 Tour Chrome, 50.08F - 54.10S - 58.12D, DG Wedge Flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :EVNROLL: Custom Fit 35" ER6 Red at 68 degree lie angle and 4 degrees of loft
  • :Snell: MTB-X            :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope             Tracked by :Arccos:         #WPS 🐗
1 hour ago, PMookie said:

Well done! 76 feels like a long ways off for me but looking forward to getting there

54 years I suppose. I started playing at 10. I've roller-coastered some through the years for various reasons. If I had to pin point one thing that actually improved my game and made me better it was this: Playing with guys that were much better then me. Some of you regulars around here have heard the story before so I won't repeat it in length. Basically, if you are able to find a group of regular players either at a club or muni; get in their game if you can and often. Try and play with the better players as much as possible. This happened to me back in the 80's at a club I joined. I knew a few members so it made things easy for me to get in their game. Each Saturday we'd pair up into foursomes and play a match which mostly consisted of various bets - team and individual. I was fortunate in that about 1/2 of these players were actually very good. Scratch to low single digit caps. Except for a couple of cocky ones these guys were more than willing to offer advice and tips solicited and unsolicited which I gladly accepted. Seemed I always picked up something from these guys. Their style of play was even a lesson to me and which I tried to emulate. To me they seemed to know everything. Over the course of about 2 years my game steadily improved - my hcp. dropped to a upper single digit and I started to become more competitive. Instead of always being "the D" player I was now a B player at times. Golf sure got a lot more fun... and interesting too. I also became one of the guys and had the time of my life. These days I'm playing the most consistent golf ever and I can play with anyone of any ability and enjoy it.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

29 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Perfection is unachievable, but getting as close to perfection on any given shot is the goal. Every golfer is different, with varying physical skills, hand eye coordination, mental toughness and desire. Having a realistic goal for your physical and mental ability is key and some will get better faster than others, but everyone can get better. That's what makes this game so addicting. 

Amen brother!!

This whole discussion is like sitting around the men's locker room after a round. 🏌️‍♂️

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

You question is very subjective and I won’t answer the “good” part but the aha moment part.
I was a 90s golfer and was tired of scoring in the 90s so I took some lessons. The lessons changed what I did and my swing became uncomfortable. After a few weeks I went out and s*** a 76. At that aha moment I knew I had the potential to play well I just needed to train myself to play at that level consistently.
Damn, who is your teacher?? I've been taking lessons for two years, and I've definitely improved but not in the 70s yet.
But I remember shooting a 102 when I first started and thinking "Man, I'm good." If I did that today I'd rage quit for a month. It's all relative.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver -  :callaway-small: Big Bertha Alpha

3W -  :callaway-small: XHot Pro

3 Hybrid - :taylormade-small: Rescue 11

4-PW - Maltby DBM Forged

52 -  :vokey-small: SM4

56 -  :cleveland-small: RTX-3

60 - Scratch SS

Putter -  :seemore-small: FGP

2 hours ago, SeeMore Putts said:

Damn, who is your teacher?? I've been taking lessons for two years, and I've definitely improved but not in the 70s yet.
But I remember shooting a 102 when I first started and thinking "Man, I'm good." If I did that today I'd rage quit for a month. It's all relative.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Since my first lessons when I was a teenager,  I had a decent swing.   When I started with this particular instructor he asked why I wasn't a better player since I had a good swing.    We worked on come consistency issues and made a few small tweaks and it came together,.   How do you determine potential?   Look at the course you typically play and write down the best score you have had on each hole.  What is that score?  Probably better than you think you can score.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Still on my way. Feeling like I'll never get there haha.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

I play to a 11 handicap and I’ll be the first to say I think I’m good. What I mean is I can, by the national average, beat over 74% of amateur golfers. Sure I can shoot 90 but I can go out and shoot 77 (done it 3 times last year) so I know I have the potential. But today I played with a guy that shot 70 (2 under) and wasn’t happy. I’ll never be satisfied where I’m at, and I think most will say the same thing. If you set goals, reach those goals, set new goals, reach them and continue to do that, I think you’re good. Some people will disagree with that logic but who cares. It’s your game and your opinion if you’re “good” or not. Everyone has a different view on good.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

CobraConnectChallenge3

"Good" subject and welcome into the forums from Idaho!

"Good" is what "good" does...(to carve up a famous movie line), so to be "good" is totally relative to the golfer himself and to those around him/her as observers. I'm pretty sure I know a "good" golfer when I see it, and I also think I know when I'm "good" at golfing, which is unfortunately rare but sometimes pops up. In our scramble group, the lines of good and not so good are very clear. Of the 4 of us, we have one clear "good" golfer. He handicaps us sloths by hitting from the tips, giving us "pops" on the harder holes and just generally mops the floor with us. He doesn't keep a handicap, but I'd bet he's 10 or below. He's GOOD! Would I like to be that way? Sure? Do I have the time and drive to hammer-down and become consistently good-er...not yet at this point in my life.

So to answer your root question (finally), I have no frickin' idear…!😜 One of these days, maybe I'll have better experience to answer this question. Until then, I'll plod along as a weekend warrior who is just happy to be out in the open air 2-3 times a month plowing fields and knocking bark off of the random tree.

Glad to have you aboard! Stay engaged and I hope you find your "good" soon 'nuff! Cheers!

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers