TESTERS WANTED! ×

How long did it take for you to get "good"?

Golf, especially in the beginning, is an exercise of one step forward, two steps back. Then three steps forward, one or more steps back. Rinse, repeat in assorted variations.

Embrace the journey, it'll make the ride all the more enjoyable and satisfying once you reach a semblance of virtual repeatability.

For me, it was probably 4-5 years before I could fairly frequently shoot in the 80's. The possibility for 100+ being ever present, of course.

Tough game, greatest game.

Welcome to the forum.  I am more than likely not the typical story.  Started playing at age 2 and learned the game left handed as a young child.  When I was 10 I learned to play right handed and still play right handed.  By the time I was 15 years old I was a 1-2 index and shortly thereafter I was a scratch player and have been a scratch to a plus since then and to this day.  The interesting part is that for the most part I was self taught and read a lot of golf magazines as a kid and just played a bunch and hit balls.  To this day most of my practice time is spent playing golf and not beating balls on the range with the exception of the time that I spend rolling putts.  I did break down last season and take my first formal golf lesson at the ripe old age of 42.

WITB 2024

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS 9* SHAFT TBD...

:taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

:taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

:taylormade-small: Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

:callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

:callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

:callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

On 4/9/2019 at 11:56 PM, scratchmybirdie said:

This is my first topic on the forum! I started golfing last August with a box set from Amazon and learning from Youtube videos. I first took a series of group lessons, tried out a few coaches, and then I started working weekly with a coach that I felt I clicked with. We've been making some great progress with my ball striking, but sometimes I feel like when we build in more feels or improve something else in the swing, some of the wheels start falling off again and I feel like I'm regressing. It can get quite frustrating. 

I just wanted to find out from some of the more experienced members of the forum how long it took them before they felt "good" at the game. I put "good" in quotes because I'm not really using an objective metric - more wondering about what your own opinions of "good" are and when did you all start feeling confident on the course. Was there an "Aha!" moment that lead to that confidence?

Regression is just part of progression sometimes I'm afraid. I know it can be frustrating, but sometimes you just have to trust that what you're working on will provide the end goal you're looking for. It's not at all uncommon for golfers to struggle with swing changes and hit a lot of awful shots as whatever change being made will likely be outside of their comfort zone initially. It sounds like you're doing everything right, although I would recommend that you invest in a quality (used) set with some input from your instructor - at least if you plan to continue playing for a long time. Box sets are great as an entry-level option to get you started, but they are composed of equipment designed to meet a specific price point rather than to meet specific performance criteria.

As for how long it took me to get "good". Well, I first made my way onto a golf course with my dad at the age of 10. I'm now 32 years old. Having said that, I didn't start putting a lot of effort into golf until about 25. Improvement was very gradual at first, but within the past few years, I've seen the pace of improvement pick up. Not sure why really other than I've spent a lot more time around much better golfers during that time period and began playing more competitive rounds. I still have a ways to go to get where I'd like to be, but I'm confident I can get there - even if I have to enlist some help (instructor, equipment, etc.). Results will always vary depending on available time to practice and whatever base you're working with (athletic vs. non-athletic build, experience in other sports, etc.).

Good luck!

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

This is my first topic on the forum! I started golfing last August with a box set from Amazon and learning from Youtube videos. I first took a series of group lessons, tried out a few coaches, and then I started working weekly with a coach that I felt I clicked with. We've been making some great progress with my ball striking, but sometimes I feel like when we build in more feels or improve something else in the swing, some of the wheels start falling off again and I feel like I'm regressing. It can get quite frustrating. 
I just wanted to find out from some of the more experienced members of the forum how long it took them before they felt "good" at the game. I put "good" in quotes because I'm not really using an objective metric - more wondering about what your own opinions of "good" are and when did you all start feeling confident on the course. Was there an "Aha!" moment that lead to that confidence?

6 years. I had flashes before that but didn’t get hold of things till end of senior year in high school. It clicked for me once I got my driver under control and grew into my frame a bit more. Control came with size for me and that was my moment.

In the bag
Driver: Callaway Rogue Subzero 9.5 Stiff flex
3 wood: Callaway Rogue Subzero 15 degree
Hybrids: 17 degree titleist 816 h2
Irons: Ben Hogan Ptx 22-46 degree (4-pw)stiff flex standard lie
Wedges: Callaway Mac Daddy 4 50,54,58 degrees
Putter: Odyssey EXO seven

Gig’em Aggies!

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

35 years.. I started playing when I was 12.. I just turned 40 in March.. do the math

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

Welcome the number one rule of golf is that all aha moments will be followed by periods of what f...

That is true at all levels.

You will know that you are good when you can shoot what you normally shoot during the what the F.... times.

:)

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

On 4/11/2019 at 9:05 AM, TR1PTIK said:

Regression is just part of progression sometimes I'm afraid. I know it can be frustrating, but sometimes you just have to trust that what you're working on will provide the end goal you're looking for. It's not at all uncommon for golfers to struggle with swing changes and hit a lot of awful shots as whatever change being made will likely be outside of their comfort zone initially. It sounds like you're doing everything right, although I would recommend that you invest in a quality (used) set with some input from your instructor - at least if you plan to continue playing for a long time. Box sets are great as an entry-level option to get you started, but they are composed of equipment designed to meet a specific price point rather than to meet specific performance criteria.

As for how long it took me to get "good". Well, I first made my way onto a golf course with my dad at the age of 10. I'm now 32 years old. Having said that, I didn't start putting a lot of effort into golf until about 25. Improvement was very gradual at first, but within the past few years, I've seen the pace of improvement pick up. Not sure why really other than I've spent a lot more time around much better golfers during that time period and began playing more competitive rounds. I still have a ways to go to get where I'd like to be, but I'm confident I can get there - even if I have to enlist some help (instructor, equipment, etc.). Results will always vary depending on available time to practice and whatever base you're working with (athletic vs. non-athletic build, experience in other sports, etc.).

Good luck!

Thanks! I actually got fitted for clubs a few months after I started. And now I feel like a gearhead always looking for new thinks to buy. How did you find these much better golfers to play with? Did you join leagues or tournaments?

Driver: :taylormade-small: M4 D-Type

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 2 Max 3HL

Hybrid: :callaway-small: Rogue X 18*

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 21*

Irons: :callaway-small: Rogue 5-AW

Wedges:  :titelist-small: SM7 54*08M, 60*04L

Putter: Wilson Infinite West Loop

:Arccos:

Damn, I thought I’d be the only one that said he was waiting for it to happen!!!!

I do love this game!

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

I think that, "good" can be a very different thing to different people.  For some, "good" means breaking 100, for others that might mean breaking 90, 80 or 70.

IMO, most of us never really feel that we ever are good at golf.  When people hear that Im a golfer and they ask me if Im good at it, I always tell them that Im just, "OK" and that if I really were any good at it, Id be playing golf for a living instead of working a normal job.

Anyways, to answer your question, it took me probably about 5 years to get where I felt like I knew what I was doing.  Much of it for me was my mental game and learning how to cope with the ups and downs that we all encounter on the course.  I started playing golf when I was in my late teens, so part of that was simply growing up, gaining self confidence and learning that having a bad round of golf isnt that big of a deal.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Welcome! I think everyone has hit the nail on the head in saying “good” is different for everyone. I would just say that golf, in my opinion, is arguably one of the hardest sports in the world to pick up and get good at. Set yourself small goals so you can have small victories as you continue to learn. I’ve played golf since I was 5 years old, but it wasn’t until I i started working at a course and could play 3-4 times a week that my game took off. With that being said, I know people who never practice and are better than me so it’s different for everyone. Golf is all muscle memory, and luckily for you, you’ve got a coach alongside you to build that muscle memory! Good luck on the golf improvement journey! Enjoy the process.

My biggest tip to save yourself strokes no matter what handicap, become a great chipper and putter. Strokes around the green are an EASY way to gain 4,5,6 strokes or lose those strokes. I play with a family friend who shoots mid to high 80s. He’s not a great driver of the ball or iron player, but he’s very good around and on the greens! And you can practice putting in your own home with makes it very achievable! Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 4/12/2019 at 7:34 PM, scratchmybirdie said:

Thanks! I actually got fitted for clubs a few months after I started. And now I feel like a gearhead always looking for new thinks to buy. How did you find these much better golfers to play with? Did you join leagues or tournaments?

Both! If your local course offers a men's league - join it. Play in tournaments even if you think you aren't "good enough". If it's open to all players and flighted, go for it!

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/13/2019 at 4:36 AM, Jhigdon13 said:

My biggest tip to save yourself strokes no matter what handicap, become a great chipper and putter.

You're definitely onto something. I played a round the other week and my ball striking was better than it ever has been, but I lost a lot at least 5 strokes around and on the greens. Chunked chips, a bladed chip, and not understanding the speed of the green really hurt the round. But I was still pleased with how well I was doing off the tee and on the approach. Gotta keep working at it!

Edited by scratchmybirdie

Driver: :taylormade-small: M4 D-Type

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 2 Max 3HL

Hybrid: :callaway-small: Rogue X 18*

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 21*

Irons: :callaway-small: Rogue 5-AW

Wedges:  :titelist-small: SM7 54*08M, 60*04L

Putter: Wilson Infinite West Loop

:Arccos:

All I know is that the more I practice , the luckier I get.  🙂 

I tend to spend 2-3 times as much practice time on the chipping and putting area than I do at the range.  

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

You guys are too modest!

How long did it take me to get "good"?

The minute I picked up a club!

not.jpeg.c982c14d59260a50e48d9b33a31bfd31.jpeg

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using MyGolfSpy mobile app

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

Like others, my definition of good continues to change. For the purpose of your question, and where you are in your golf journey, I'll share my first definition of good

1. Don't lose too many balls
  2. Don't hold up the players behind me
  3. Play a full round without mulligans
  4. Know most of the rules
  5. Know my distances (roughly)

Notice how none of those had to do with score. Of course score mattered, but not as much as getting the basics right.  If you stack those on each other, they'll add up to reasonable scores and you can move onto your next definition of good

Now that that's out of the way, it took me until my second season to break that first layer of good (now on my 9th). I practiced a lot, read a lot, and tried to play with purposes in mind. I was never really the type to get hammered with the bros on the course and screw around. Still not.

Good luck in your journey! Hope we get to hear more as you progress. 

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Stud nailed it, 'good' will always change. I would consider myself good compared to where I was when I first started golfing a few years ago. But, I'm nowhere near where I want to be. I hope in a few more I'll be even better and then I'll be able to consider that good in relation to where I'm at now. 

This reminds me of a Tim Duncan quote I once read.... "Good, better, best. Never let it rest. Until your good is better and your better is best."

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

49 minutes ago, GolfSpy STUDque said:

Like others, my definition of good continues to change. For the purpose of your question, and where you are in your golf journey, I'll share my first definition of good

6. Have most of my par attempts be a putt

Notice how none of those had to do with score. Of course score mattered, but not as much as getting the basics right.  If you stack those on each other, they'll add up to reasonable scores and you can move onto your next definition of good

Now that that's out of the way, it took me until my second season to break that first layer of good (now on my 9th). I practiced a lot, read a lot, and tried to play with purposes in mind. I was never really the type to get hammered with the bros on the course and screw around. Still not.

Did you add 6? When I first read it, I could have swore there were 5, and by those 5 standards, I would be "good", even though I don't feel good. I feel decent with the goal of becoming good. 

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

1 hour ago, MaxEntropy said:

Did you add 6? When I first read it, I could have swore there were 5, and by those 5 standards, I would be "good", even though I don't feel good. I feel decent with the goal of becoming good. 

Guilty!

Probably should've just left it at 5 because #6 crossed into that next tier for bogey golf. Oh well, it's out there now. 

Edit: Since we're here, the next tier....

1. Have most of my par attempts be a putt
  2. Find my ball after every shot
  3. 1 chip max per hole
  4. Stamina to concentrate for all 18 regardless of score
  5. Use more than 25% of my shots in a scramble (equal 4 man team)

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

1 hour ago, GolfSpy STUDque said:

Guilty!

Probably should've just left it at 5 because #6 crossed into that next tier for bogey golf. Oh well, it's out there now. 

Edit: Since we're here, the next tier....

1. Have most of my par attempts be a putt
  2. Find my ball after every shot
  3. 1 chip max per hole
  4. Stamina to concentrate for all 18 regardless of score
  5. Use more than 25% of my shots in a scramble (equal 4 man team)

By far the most difficult one of those is #4.  The number of times I've said "I wonder if.......(something completely unrelated to the shot)" to myself during a backswing is incredible.  It can happen to me on the first tee.

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

2 minutes ago, 00sportsman said:

By far the most difficult one of those is #4.  The number of times I've said "I wonder if.......(something completely unrelated to the shot)" to myself during a backswing is incredible.  It can happen to me on the first tee.

Interesting, I can say without a doubt the most difficult for me is 2. I can usually make a commuted swing, but I do still my fair share off the tee. In all fairness though, I play a really tight course.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Let’s see, I started in my twenties and I’m currently 68. I’m still trying to get good. I take that back, I’m having fun now by not trying so hard, by not fretting over shooting under a certain number, and by putting more emphasis on leaving the course having enjoyed my day. I’m over getting good and into leaving happy!

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I've been playing golf for 25 years. I'm in my early 30's and I played competitive golf through high school and some in the beginning of college. I play and practice a fraction of what I did in my earlier years, but I'm playing the best golf I've ever played.

I think the availability of laser rangefinders has changed the entire game for me. I had on in high school but it was huge and bulky and I couldn't really use other than to practice and even then I didn't understand the concept of "course management." But now that I am older and the rangefinder fits in my palm, I never hit a shot until I have the full picture. I gather distances to front, back, pin, bunker, water, and my misses. I know before I pull that club that wherever I end up I can handle it and that alone has transformed my game. 

My GHIN is a 1.6 and most of that I attribute to course management. 

Driver: :taylormade-small: M1 460

3W: :taylormade-small: M2 15*

Hybrid: :adams-small: Idea a7 22*

3-PW: :titelist-small: AP2

GAP: :callaway-small: X-Tour 52*

SW::cleveland-small: BRZ 900 56*

LW::cleveland-small: RTX-3 58*

Putter::scotty-small: Pro Platinum Newport Mid-Slant 

Ball::titelist-small: Pro V1x

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer

It took me a few years of playing and practicing consistently to have a decent feel for my game. Like you said, 'good' is definitely objective, but for me it was more about being consistent and eliminating big numbers. As I'm sure you've realized by now, this game is humbling and will remind of you of your place without warning especially if you allow yourself to get comfortable. Based on your first post I think you're doing it right and going about it the way you are will allow you to truly enjoy the game and get to your version of 'good'!

:cobra-small: LTDx Black 10.5º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 6F4
:cobra-small: LTDx 3W 15º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 7F4
:ping-small: G425 3H 19º | UST Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F4
:srixon-small: Z785 4-PW | UST Recoil 125 Proto F4
:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore Tour Rack 50
º Mid, 54º Mid, 60º Mid | UST Recoil Wedge Proto F4
:EVNROLL: ER5BV | BGT Stability Tour

:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

I learned the game with an 8 iron given to me by a friend. My first set was mismatched with wooden woods (in 1999). Started at 18 yo and broke 80 at 19, broke par at 21, and it's been downhill since then. Less time on the course for 15+ years hurt. The last couple years I've been playing more (my boys are 14 and 12 now and also play) and am back down to a 4.3 index. It's different for everyone.

Sent using the MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver:    :ping-small: i20 8.5*, Project X Blue, stiff

Fairway Woods:   :taylormade-small: r9 3W 15*, r9 5W 19* Fujikura Motore 70 stiff

Irons:    :ping-small: i210's 4-UW

Wedges:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 55* :callaway-small: MD3 Milled S Grind 60* 

Putter:    :ping-small: B60i Isopur

I got a late start, about 20 years ago when my son started to play. It took me about 4 years to be respectable and was right around a 14 at that time. Best I've ever been, flirted with the high 70's at times, but mostly in the mid to upper 80's. Past 3-4 years (after about a 5 year hiatus and 60 more pounds), I'm a 27. Moments of brillance, but mostly no length, and no short game. Hopefully this year with a couple of lessons I can bring it back down.

Ah yes, the ever elusive "good"! Reading the thread is a reminder that Golf is completely unbeatable. 5 handicappers saying "I'm not good, but..." And I'm not knocking that thought. I think that's just what golf brings out in most/all of us. We want to CONQUER THIS BEAST!!!

For me, I'm 46. I have hit golf balls since high school. 20 years of banging balls around 5 to 10 rounds per year with a 1 or two range sessions ahead of the rounds to "brush up" before I played. Golf was always at least 4th in line for things to do. Fishing, hockey, poker, golf. 10 years ago I moved to a new town with a range 5 minutes from my house. After we got the kids in bed I'd head over to the range twice a week. No lessons. No reading. Just trying to figure out how to not hit a 40 yard slice. SUCCESS! It was only 20 yards after 10 months of that. Ugh!

2 years ago I took a couple lessons. In hindsight, they weren't very good. The solutions offered were band-aids, not repairs. BUT, the ideas that the teacher provided about how and why the ball goes where it goes got me to thinking.... And then life happened and my attempt to get back to weekly practice disappeared.

Enter 2019. I've given up poker and hockey. I will still fish, but that's rare these days. The kids are old enough that I can get out of the house more frequently. So THIS IS THE YEAR! I've taken lessons that are GOOD lessons teaching me fundamentals. I'm practicing putting and chipping on a regular basis. I'm LEARNING. And I'm getting out and playing. Am I "good" - oh heavens no. But I've posted some decent scores (for me) this year and I see my ball striking getting better on the range. My GIANT slice is gone. It's been replaced by a hook that I need to control. I see hope that by the end of the year my 17 will be down to a 15 and at that point I'll say "no, I'm not good, I hit 6 balls that screwed my round! Some day I'll be good!!!"

The quest continues. Enjoy the ride!

Driver - :ping-small: G400 LST

3W & 4H - Orlimar High Energy 2

Irons - :cobra-small:F7 OL (5I - GW)

Wedges -  Top Flight Gamer Tour 52* 56* 60*

Putter - Orlimar HE2

Balls - Vice Pro

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/22/2019 at 8:03 PM, GolfSpy STUDque said:

Agree completely with the this idea that “good” is an ever moving target. I played my first round at the age of 60, shot 216 (Ed, who took me out on this first round would only record 12 shots per hole no matter how many I actually took) and lost (ahem) 28 balls. Last week (6 years after that first fateful round) I lost 1 ball and 2 weeks ago shot a no mulligans, no gimmes, no bull$hit 101. Is that good? No, but it is better. Still trying to shoot the elusive sub 100 round.

A wiser man than I observed that golf ⛳️ is a game you play against yourself that you can never win.

Enjoy the journey.

• 3 weeks later...

As others have said the word "good" is relative and will change from person to person. In my opinion a player is based on their handicaps and breakdown as such:

20+ - golfer

19 to 15 - ok golfer

14 to 10 - decent golfer

9 to 5 - great golfer

4 to 2 - amazing golfer

1 to X+ - "best golfer around"

Personally I picked up the game three years ago after caddying a couple of years and started playing with some friends when the course was closed to members. Last year I decided to keep score occasionally to eventually establish a handicap which at the end of the year was around a 20 index. Upon college graduation this May I wanted to see how low I could get the handicap before started full time work so I started to really take my rounds serious. My goal is to try and get to single figures before the end of the summer. Going back to your question I still only recently started to feel "good" on the course when I broke down one of my rounds shot by shot and figured out where the high scores were coming from.

1. I noticed I was losing a bunch of balls by trying to use driver too much or over swinging with my 3 wood (the course I play is 6400 yards tipped out so it's not too long so no need to use driver really) causing me to either go out of bounds or into deep rough. Use the longest club you can for the given hole that you are confident you can keep in the fairway. 

2. A lot of times I set up my approach shot aimed at a pin and not the center of the green. I now just aim middle of the green no matter how far out I am. I would land the ball pin high then roll off the green no matter what club I was using. Now I take a little less club and have it roll up to the flag and not just always try to land it flag high.

3. Every time I stood on the tee I had 9,000,000 swing thoughts in my head from watching too many Youtube swing coaches. This would just make me nervous and doubt my swing. I would try and make too many swing changes at once rather than tweaking small parts each time I practiced or played. 

4. Have fun it's a GAME ... play with some friends, throw on some music, and relax you're out here to have fun not to be stressed out for four hours. After watching a bunch of Erik Anders Lang videos I always noticed how laid back and relaxed he was on the course and that is how I try and approach golf now. 

TLDR - I only recently felt "good" on the course after breaking down my rounds and figuring out where the high scores were coming from. In short it came from being too aggressive and taking the game too seriously stressing me out.  

Driver:          :titelist-small:           913 D2                                    Irons:           :titelist-small:            714 Ap1 4-6, Ap2 7-PW    

Wood:          :taylormade-small:    V-Steel                                    Wedges:      :titelist-small:            Sm7 50, 54, 58

Hybrid:        :titelist-small:            816 H1                                    Putter:        :odyssey-small:  White Hot #7