GolfSpy Stroker

Golfing in Bermuda

Hey spies.... my family and another family will be going to Bermuda for a week vacation this year and I've been given the green light to play golf there. 😎

I'm wondering if anyone has ever played in Bermuda, if they brought clubs or rented, any courses they were impressed with, tips, tricks, hints, etc.

Thanks!

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 11:09 AM, GolfSpy Stroker said:

I'm wondering if anyone has ever played in Bermuda

Hi @GolfSpy Stroker, I lived in Bermuda from 2013-2017 and played all of the courses so I can probably answer any questions you might have except the rental club thing, since I just used my own clubs. I know Port Royal had nice new rentals while I was there but I can't say about the other courses.

The six courses are all fun but I was most impressed with Mid Ocean (private) and Port Royal (public). Both are in great condition and a lot of fun.  They are both really scenic and you won't be disappointed with either. Mid Ocean is the most expensive course on the island and although it's private, I remember they used to offer tee times to non-members (around $200). Port Royal will have some deals on GolfNow to make it much more affordable than the rack rate. If you play Port Royal, check out the tee plaque at the back of 16 tee (the iconic Par 3 hole on the ocean).

Turtle Hill at the Fairmont Southampton is an 18 hole Par 3 course with incredible views and would not disappoint if you have time to play it. If you're like me, when you hear "Par 3 course" you have an image of a bunch of short holes with mediocre course conditions. Turtle Hill is nothing like that. It's a top notch course with some really long holes (#14 is around 220). Several holes have up to 20 yards of slope differential so take a cart. I've walked this course many times and the front especially is a good workout.

Tucker's Point is close to Mid Ocean and parts of the two courses are very close to each other but the course conditions are not as nice at Tucker's Point (the view from 17 tee box at Tucker's Point is really incredible though). Belmont Hills is another step down in course conditions, fairly short and narrow but still fun.

What time of year are you going? The gnats can be brutal in the summer. Are you taking a cruise or flying? I've got some advice on your stay depending on which one you're going with.

• Love 1

4 hours ago, Just another lefty said:

Hi @GolfSpy Stroker, I lived in Bermuda from 2013-2017 and played all of the courses so I can probably answer any questions you might have except the rental club thing, since I just used my own clubs. I know Port Royal had nice new rentals while I was there but I can't say about the other courses.

The six courses are all fun but I was most impressed with Mid Ocean (private) and Port Royal (public). Both are in great condition and a lot of fun.  They are both really scenic and you won't be disappointed with either. Mid Ocean is the most expensive course on the island and although it's private, I remember they used to offer tee times to non-members (around $200). Port Royal will have some deals on GolfNow to make it much more affordable than the rack rate. If you play Port Royal, check out the tee plaque at the back of 16 tee (the iconic Par 3 hole on the ocean).

Turtle Hill at the Fairmont Southampton is an 18 hole Par 3 course with incredible views and would not disappoint if you have time to play it. If you're like me, when you hear "Par 3 course" you have an image of a bunch of short holes with mediocre course conditions. Turtle Hill is nothing like that. It's a top notch course with some really long holes (#14 is around 220). Several holes have up to 20 yards of slope differential so take a cart. I've walked this course many times and the front especially is a good workout.

Tucker's Point is close to Mid Ocean and parts of the two courses are very close to each other but the course conditions are not as nice at Tucker's Point (the view from 17 tee box at Tucker's Point is really incredible though). Belmont Hills is another step down in course conditions, fairly short and narrow but still fun.

What time of year are you going? The gnats can be brutal in the summer. Are you taking a cruise or flying? I've got some advice on your stay depending on which one you're going with.

Yes, yes, Yes, yes!! 

This is pure gold and precisely what I was hoping for...thank you from the bottom to the top!

My wife made the accommodations... we're staying at the Grotto bay.

Thanks again for all the information. Very nice of you to share!!

• Like 1

Yes, yes, Yes, yes!! 
This is pure gold and precisely what I was hoping for...thank you from the bottom to the top!
My wife made the accommodations... we're staying at the Grotto bay.
Thanks again for all the information. Very nice of you to share!!

We stayed at Grotto Bay several years ago and had a great time!
  • Like 1

@GolfSpy Stroker, I don't want to give unsolicited advice (like those guys that are always giving swing tips that you don't want) but if you want some non-golf tips (best beach, best chance to see/swim with turtles, best snorkeling, etc.) just let me know.