Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Deejaid WIT(classic)B 2019

This is awesome! Thanks for sharing!

:taylormade-small: M2 Driver 

:taylormade-small: M2 3 Wood or  :ping-small: G410 7 Wood

:taylormade-small: 3 Hybrid or :ping-small: G Crossover 3i
:ping-small:  G410 5i-GW (White Dot, Stiff)  
:ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth (54, 58) and sometimes will add a :titelist-small: Vokey SM7 (62)

:ping-small: Sigma 2 Anser 
:918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Range Finder 

Cool!

Sent from my SM-G935P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

WOW....

-- where did you find those?

-- do you actually play them and if so, is it a huge difference from your modern clubs - not just performance but overall play-ability?

Awesome pics....love the history behind them.  Very cool!

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, TM Sim2 19*, Cobra F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Cleveland HB Soft #1 w/UST
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

WOW....
-- where did you find those?
-- do you actually play them and if so, is it a huge difference from your modern clubs - not just performance but overall play-ability?
Awesome pics....love the history behind them.  Very cool!

I find everything on eBay, and yes, I play them quite regularly.

I started playing persimmon woods last summer and haven’t hit a modern 460cc driver, fairway wood, or hybrid since. I do still play modern irons and wedges, my KZG Forged Cavity Backs, but have been playing my vintage iron sets much more lately. I have these 1958 Wilson’s and a set of 1954 Hogan Precision’s I sometimes take out.

As for playability, you’d be surprised how well real wood woods play with a modern ball. I grew up in the 80’s playing blades and persimmons with a balata ball and the spin was so much that a miss hit spun the ball on a wild slice or hook. Nowadays, with lower spin balls it isn’t as difficult to keep it on the fairway.

The irons are a different story. The 1954 Hogan’s are a players club. Very narrow soles with no bounce they do force you to be very precise. The Wilson’s on the other hand are much easier to play. With the leading edge relief and weight low in the head, they play almost like a game improvement club, or at least a 1958 approximation of a game improvement club. I actually really love the way they play and I’ve been grabbing them more than my KZG’s lately.

Performance wise, it’s not even close in distance. My full modern bag of modern woods and KZG irons the distances are:

Driver 260
3-wood 235
5-wood 210
4-iron 185
5-iron 175
6-iron 165
7-iron 155
8-iron 145
9-iron 135
PW 125
GW 110
SW 80

In comparison, my persimmon woods with the Wilson irons are:

Driver 235
3-wood 215
4-wood 200
2-iron 190
3-iron 180
4-iron 170
5-iron 160
6-iron 150
7-iron 140
8-iron 130
9-iron 120
PW 105
SW 75

So they play a club and a half shorter than my modern clubs. But my scores have stayed the same. For one thing, I hit way more fairways with my persimmon driver than my 460cc driver. I do have longer iron approach shots but that hasn’t been a problem. Instead of driver-wedge it’s now driver-7 iron. You must also realize, my Wilson PW is 52*, the same as my KZG gap wedge, so there is one club length difference, and the other half club I’d attribute to my modern irons playing at +1/2” length standard lie, while the Wilson’s are 2* upright standard length.

I recommend everyone have a vintage bag. They can be put together for less than the cost of a new putter and will give you a different perspective on the game.

Maybe@downlowkey can chime in as I’ve recently set him up with a set of persimmon woods.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

What a great post to get the weekend started. Very nice deejaid. Love the photos and the old retro ads. Snuggle down soles. Kind of makes you feel all warm and fuzzy doesn't it. LOL However, the 2i looks quite frightening. 

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

What a great post to get the weekend started. Very nice deejaid. Love the photos and the old retro ads. Snuggle down soles. Kind of makes you feel all warm and fuzzy doesn't it. LOL However, the 2i looks quite frightening. 

The 2 iron is a bit daunting, I had a 5-wood in the bag that I just wasn’t hitting well so I stuck the 2-iron in instead. It’s not too bad as it is 21* of loft, similar to a modern 3-iron.

And yes, the “snuggle down sole” cracks me up. Could you imagine an OEM’s ad department coming up with something like that today?

And if you read the ad for the Sandy Andy it says “blade design prevents the ball from traveling too far”. Marketing really wasn’t about distance back then. The shorter the better!

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

@deejaid I bought an old set of Ping Eye 2 woods a couple of years ago, and was told by the pro shop attendant to be careful playing modern balls with the woods.  He mentioned to make sure I played a low compression ball when I played old wooden woods.  What ball are you playing when you play vintage?

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

1 hour ago, deejaid said:

And if you read the ad for the Sandy Andy it says “blade design prevents the ball from traveling too far”.

There's been a few times I wish I'd had that "technology". Fore!!!

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

5 hours ago, deejaid said:

Maybe @downlowkey can chime in as I’ve recently set him up with a set of persimmon woods.

First and foremost, they are absolutely beautiful and I feel very fortunate to have them. Thus far, I have only hit the 3-wood but it’s totally playable with a urethane ball and laser straight. I have enjoyed being able to really feel the clubface throughout the swing and it only took a dozen swings on the range to make clear a release flaw I picked up over the Winter. So, in a sense, it has also successfully doubled as a training aid. I’m looking forward to filling out a (structurally sound) top-to-bottom vintage bag this season and the immaculate Orlimar persimmons @deejaid kindly set me up with are a great start. 

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

[mention=56773]deejaid[/mention] I bought an old set of Ping Eye 2 woods a couple of years ago, and was told by the pro shop attendant to be careful playing modern balls with the woods.  He mentioned to make sure I played a low compression ball when I played old wooden woods.  What ball are you playing when you play vintage?

My last round I used a Wilson Zip, which is supposedly zero compression, but I’ve tried Pro V1’s, AVX, Chrome Soft (my modern ball), Vice Pro Plus, Top-Flite Gamer Urethane.

My favorite feel with the persimmon and classic irons is the Top-Flite Gamer, I’m not sure of the compression rating but it feels really soft although it isn’t as long as the Pro V1’s or the AVX. The Chrome Softs didn’t fly as far as the Titleists either.

My longest drives with persimmon have been with the Vice Pro Plus which interestingly enough is 100 compression?

So from what I’ve seen, higher compression have given me more yards off the tee with persimmon, but the feel of the low compression balls is better.

If you play your Ping’s I wouldn’t worry about damaging them with any quality ball like a Duo or up.

I definitely wouldn’t grab an old Pinnacle Gold to play but I’d definitely take your Ping woods out for a spin. Go for it!

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

First and foremost, they are absolutely beautiful and I feel very fortunate to have them. Thus far, I have only hit the 3-wood but it’s totally playable with a urethane ball and laser straight. I have enjoyed being able to really feel the clubface throughout the swing and it only took a dozen swings on the range to make clear a release flaw I picked up over the Winter. So, in a sense, it has also successfully doubled as a training aid. I’m looking forward to filling out a (structurally sound) top-to-bottom vintage bag this season and the immaculate Orlimar persimmons [mention=56773]deejaid[/mention] kindly set me up with are a great start. 

Awesome to hear the persimmons are helping your game!

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

Classy Man-----  58 Dynas and Mac woods and housed in a Jones Classic stand bag to boot!!!  You ought to post those restored Precisions for folks to see too. Maybe we can draw some interest on the classic side of things here.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

12 hours ago, JohnSmalls said:

@deejaid I bought an old set of Ping Eye 2 woods a couple of years ago, and was told by the pro shop attendant to be careful playing modern balls with the woods.  He mentioned to make sure I played a low compression ball when I played old wooden woods.  What ball are you playing when you play vintage?

A lower compression ball stays on the face a little longer and helps promote spin which increases control and height. Modern balls like a Pro V are hard to get airborne with a persimmon or laminate wood. Most of the time when I play strictly vintage I play the Bridgestone Ladies ball or a Srixon Soft Feel. The Wilson Zip that DJ mentioned is also a good ball for vintage play. As far as hurting those Ping Maple laminates a modern ball will not phase them one bit. Those things are actually harder than Persimmon. I have a friend of mine here that hits a Ping laminate 3 wood off the tee and has been doing so for years. He hits it further and straighter than he does any modern metal wood. But he has enough Swing speed he can elevate it with a modern ball. He has hit that thing for years with even range rocks and has not killed it yet

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Nice bag sir! Ty would be proud. Adding to the ball part, I have that old Kroydon 2 iron that I take to the range similarly to what DLK mentioned, as a training aid. A razorblade thin iron draws your attention for sure, but with the leather grip, aluminum shaft and “hardened sole”. When you pure one it’s magical. The chrome soft gave me the best performance with it. I am guessing it is around 22° so a modern 3/4 iron. Nice piercing trajectory and about 215 in the air. It was the last club I hit on grass last year.

Back to the topic, those things are gorgeous!

Really cool looking setup there. I've had interest for a while now in putting together a "vintage" bag. I think i have a good start with some free Acushnet Model 100 Pro's. From the mid 70s that I found in the rafters of mybgarage when we bought our current home. Still need to add a couple persimmons and an old putter though and wouldnt mind trying an even older set of irons.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: :callaway-small:  Rogue 9*, -1" length
FW: :callaway-small:  Epic SZ 13.5*, 18* -.5" length

Utility: :titelist-small:  816 H2 21*
Irons: :callaway-small: Apex CF 16, std. lenght/lie
Wedges: :mizuno-small:  T7 Blue Ion, 52*, 56*, 60*
Putter: :odyssey-small:  #7S
Ball: K-sig (until I run out)

RH golfer from Detroit, MI with a 14 handicap, working towards single digits

Classy Man-----  58 Dynas and Mac woods and housed in a Jones Classic stand bag to boot!!!  You ought to post those restored Precisions for folks to see too. Maybe we can draw some interest on the classic side of things here.

Just bought the Jones bag for $25 bucks because I’ve always wanted one.

And yeah, I’ve got a few classic sets to choose from.

1954 Hogan Precision 1-4 Wood, 2-9 iron, utility wedge, P106 putter.

P1090987.jpg

P1090994.jpg

P1090989.jpg

Fully restored 1957 Hogan Precision’s

P1100073.jpg

P1100083.jpg

1970 Ben Hogan Bounce Sole

IMG_0859.jpg

And a couple I haven’t hit but I’m sure someone will make into a perfect set of irons.

1958 Hogan Saber

P1090940.jpg

1960 Hogan Power Thrust

P1090911.jpg

And someone on Craigslist had 175 hickories for sale for $500. If I had the space I would have picked those up too!

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

A razorblade thin iron draws your attention for sure, but with the leather grip, aluminum shaft and “hardened sole”. When you pure one it’s magical.

I really like the old leather grips so have been finding all original sets and bending them 2* up so I can play them without destroying the originality.

A little saddle soap to clean them, followed by neatsfoot oil or Leather Honey and they feel great.

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

Now you are cooking with gas so to speak--- I gave $13 for my Jones bag which is a non stand model which was what I wanted. A guy in Eastern NC had it. The shipping was around $15 or so. I am very pleased with it. Fits good on a riding cart and is sturdy enough the bag drop guys do not squish the living sheet out of it. I am thinking about buying a Classic Jones stand he has for the same price. I did retrofit mine with a padded Titleist strap from one of my old staff bags.

G

• 3 weeks later...

12643BF9-D37A-4D60-AC19-1CF9F9B2EFA3.thumb.jpeg.c3d89ca12f098d2c59df52dd8239c512.jpeg

I managed to round out the 2-9 iron section of my vintage bag with a pretty neat thrift store score yesterday.

F23B3260-756E-49A2-910F-90F96A42D962.thumb.jpeg.192f06d4cc7e122084d8bd03cd22080c.jpeg

This Wilson REG.7164 Super-Stroke set cost me a smooth $4. They only showed a tiny bit of rust that I was able to easily knock back with a scouring pad.

1DF2A2E1-451A-4837-A713-B4EFE5DF64DA.thumb.jpeg.f438c887df42cd524074796af3eceac3.jpeg

The most surprising thing to me was how the original leather wrap grips sprang back to life after a quick warm soapy water + stiff brush treatment.

Hoping to find a couple Wilson Dynapower Fluid Feel wedges to complete the bag and then I’ll be ready to hop in the time machine. Haven’t been able to find any info on this particular Super-Stroke set - makes me think they might be a Wilson department store line? Maybe @BIG STU or @deejaid can shed some light.

Also, the Orlimar persimmons @deejaid set me up with are sooo much fun to hit and consistent driving range conversation starters!

BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS

12643BF9-D37A-4D60-AC19-1CF9F9B2EFA3.thumb.jpeg.c3d89ca12f098d2c59df52dd8239c512.jpeg
I managed to round out the 2-9 iron section of my vintage bag with a pretty neat thrift store score yesterday.
F23B3260-756E-49A2-910F-90F96A42D962.thumb.jpeg.192f06d4cc7e122084d8bd03cd22080c.jpeg
This Wilson REG.7164 Super-Stroke set cost me a smooth $4. They only showed a tiny bit of rust that I was able to easily knock back with a scouring pad.
1DF2A2E1-451A-4837-A713-B4EFE5DF64DA.thumb.jpeg.f438c887df42cd524074796af3eceac3.jpeg
The most surprising thing to me was how the original leather wrap grips sprang back to life after a quick warm soapy water + stiff brush treatment.
Hoping to find a couple Wilson Dynapower Fluid Feel wedges to complete the bag and then I’ll be ready to hop in the time machine. Haven’t been able to find any info on this particular Super-Stroke set - makes me think they might be a Wilson department store line? Maybe [mention=4406]BIG STU[/mention] or [mention=56773]deejaid[/mention] can shed some light.
Also, the Orlimar persimmons [mention=56773]deejaid[/mention] set me up with are sooo much fun to hit and consistent driving range conversation starters!

Very cool downlowkey. I love finding vintage clubs with the original leather grip. More often then not they can be brought back to life will just a little work. I like to use saddle soap to give them a good deep cleaning, let them dry overnight and then wipe them with neatsfoot oil to condition the leather. Old leather grips feel so good to play.

As for the irons, I’m not quite sure what they are. I don’t see them listed in my Wilson catalog book. They look to be mid 1950’s as I do see a few other sets from that era that have a similar head shape but different stampings. Are the shaft bands still intact? If they have green TT Rocket shafts they are 1957 or earlier, 1958 they switched to the TT Pro Fit shaft (a gold label) and in 1961 began using a Wilson labeled shaft.

Glad you are digging the Orlimar’s. You are gonna get sucked down the vintage golf rabbit hole!

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

Super Stroke now that is funny. Considering what SS is today. Definitely department store line. The Orlimar woods I do not have the slightest clue on  

G

Super Stroke now that is funny. Considering what SS is today. Definitely department store line. The Orlimar woods I do not have the slightest clue on  

The Orlimars were made in a factory in Oakland, CA, not far from the Oakland Coliseum in the late 70’s, early 80’s. That’s why they popped up for sale in my neck of the woods. Orlimar was pretty big in the Bay Area before their breakout product in the mid 1990’s, the Orlimar Tri-Metal.

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

10 minutes ago, deejaid said:

They look to be mid 1950’s as I do see a few other sets from that era that have a similar head shape but different stampings. Are the shaft bands still intact? If they have green TT Rocket shafts they are 1957 or earlier, 1958 they switched to the TT Pro Fit shaft (a gold label) and in 1961 began using a Wilson labeled shaft.

I was going to guess early/mid 50's based on head shape and finish. The shaft bands didn't survive, so no help there unfortunately.

9 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

Super Stroke now that is funny. Considering what SS is today. Definitely department store line.

Yeah - trying to search "Super-Stroke" specifically these days returns nothing but grip articles/sales. Do you know when (year?) Wilson started splitting up their equipment into Staff -vs- Store lines? I was wondering if these might have been manufactured prior to the split?

Yeah - trying to search "Super-Stroke" specifically these days returns nothing but grip articles/sales. Do you know when (year?) Wilson started splitting up their equipment into Staff -vs- Store lines? I was wondering if these might have been manufactured prior to the split?

Yeah, I’d say 1954-56 store line.

My book doesn’t show any store line models from those years but does have their professional “value” line, clubs that were sold in Pro Shops but at a significant savings compared to the Pro-line Wilson Staff offerings, and those value line clubs look very similar in shape to yours.

IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0025.jpg

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

Thank you for digging out the vintage Wilson catalog @deejaid!

Same "Swingweight" stamp on mine, sans "80385".

I've noticed a fairly consistent difference in the hosel knurling on the Staff -vs- Store lines and mine matches the prior, so it just adds to my confusion on that particular subject.

If you wouldn't mind a bit more catalog digging - what year does my sole number stamp style most resemble?

24 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Fore-Master! What a name!

That's what I thought too!

Sounds like they are specifically marketed to the guys who hit it extra crooked... but also not necessarily designed improve matters?

No coincidence Fore-Masters are a whole $45 cheaper than the Dyna-Powered for the 2-9 iron set. An embarrassing price to pay when your playing partners glance the effective "made for hacks" stamp. I'm drooling over these old catalog pages but consumer advertising has always had an evil core.

That's what I thought too!
Sounds like they are specifically marketed to the guys who hit it extra crooked... but also not necessarily designed improve matters?
No coincidence Fore-Masters are a whole $45 cheaper than the Dyna-Powered for the 2-9 iron set. An embarrassing price to pay when your playing partners glance the effective "made for hacks" stamp. I'm drooling over these old catalog pages but consumer advertising has always had an evil core.

Agreed, but the old marketing stuff was pretty neat. It was actually about the product, and not some goop in the middle of it.

Ok, this is fun, a bit of searching to find out what year these things are.

The font of the sole numbers on your clubs are the same as my 1958 Dyna-Powered’s, very tall, narrow numbers. Looks like the first year they used that size/font was on the 1956 Dyna-Powered irons.

You mentioned the knurled hosel, now does yours have rings above and below the knurled marks? Because 1960 is the first appearance of the knurled hosel with rings, changed from just the knurled hosel.

IMG_0027.jpg

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter