TESTERS WANTED! ×

I went for a driver fitting...

..and didn't buy anything. My current driver (Wishon 919, 10.5°, XCaliber Superlight stiff, 44") is six or so years old, so I'm sure newer technology is worth looking at. In addition, since getting it I've been through two back surgeries, so my swing speed is way down(from 104-5 to 89-90). I went to Miles of Golf (Cincinnati), and worked with Eric, the same guy I've worked with before on irons and wedges. He knows my swing pretty well, and I totally trust him. My numbers with my own driver were: 89-90 mph swing speed, ball speed 138, launch 14.8°, all OK so far, but my problem: spin: 1524rpm. The ball's just not spinning enough to stay in the air. And that remained a problem with every head we tried (M6, G410, F9, Epic Flash), as well as every setting and loft. The Callaway gave the best results, but spin was still under 1600. There was not enough there worth spending any money on. I was swinging rather poorly, so he's invited me to try again when we do a hybrid fitting soon.(Waiting on the new Mizuno 919 Fli Hi fitting supply. I really liked them at last month's demo day.) I had a weird problem: I was downright awful hitting off the fitting mat, but when we stepped forward onto the grass I was extremely consistent. Of course, that was out of range of the Trackman, but it was easy to see that nothing was beating my current club. The good news is I saved money (No charge for the session either, regular customer.) The bad news is I'm losing carry. The modern low spin driver designs just aren't a good fit for me. I may even leave the driver home for a while, cause I'm not losing anything with the 3 wood. I may try reshafting my driver, as the existing shaft is pretty stiff for my current speed, but then again I'm hitting it pretty straight, and I don't know if I want to mess with it. Lots to think about here!

Moose, my cat, is Siamese

You are virtually hitting a knuckle ball. Hopefully you are recovering well from the surgeries.

I might suggest a club not so techie. In the Wilson C300 with the preferred shaft. The MGS folk found it worked best for golfers with SS in your range.

would like to hear when they come up with

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

• 2 weeks later...