Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

CDGA and Illinois Mid-Am Championship

I used to belong to a little semi private club out in the boon docks.  It was Indian Oaks CC in Shabbona IL.  A 9 holer that was well maintained, had a nice layout and the membership was awesome in terms of outings, events, competitions between clubs, etc.  It was great.  But as time went on it became more expensive, out of my budget and to add it took about 50 minutes to drive there -  so quick 9's were out of the question.  It had nice practice facilities with a range, short game area with bunker, 3-4 pins on several tiers with the ability to walk off at least 100 yards to work on all things short game plus a separate putting green.  I was competitive at the club for a long time but its been some time since I've competed in things so I've signed up and paid for 2 qualifiers this year.  The first is May 1st at Fox Bend GC in Oswego IL for the 5th annual Chicago District Golf Association Mid-Am Championship.  The second qualifier is for the 27th Illinois Mid-Am Championship.  The qualifier I signed up for is held on August 6th at Balmoral Woods CC in Crete IL.

These are big time tourneys for me.  I'll be up against a steep field I think to qualify for these.  I hope to shoot something in the low 70's but figure maybe a score around 74 or less should give me a good chance.  The Mid in mid am's refers to an age restriction on the field.  I had to google this LOL but basically a regular tourney is open to all to qualify and a Mid AM is open to anyone over a certain age in this case its 25 - this eliminates anyone in HS or College who have nothing else to do besides play golf.  So everyone should have a life, a job, bills, etc.  I'm realistic in terms of requesting the days off for the qualifiers but not the tournament dates yet LOL.  I figure if I make it in I'll ask at that time.

I've dedicated a lot of time to hitting balls into a net, working with the super speed system to up my swing speed back to what it was, working on putting on a carpet that I stimped at 9.5, going to the ranges on the weekends and just bought a shot scope v2 to improve areas of weakness.  I'd love to start tracking stats and be able to look at them through the year.

I really need some new equipment but that can wait until xmas time when club champion does the 50% off fittings, and I've been saving 50/week the entire year to gather up about 2600 to get properly fit and take everything to the next level.  I'm playing with irons I got in 2005!  Putter, wedges, woods are not fit for me.  I'm giving up major yards with driver and fairway wood.  Hybrid goes well but not as consistent as I'd like, 4 iron really sucks (butter knife), etc.  Just want a bag I like through and through knowing its all spot on fit for me.

Anyhow those are the goals - make it into those championships  - play my game and hopefully raise it back to what it used to be.

Ben S
Hailing from N Aurora IL

WITB:
Putter: Mizuno by Bettinardi BC1 w/SuperStroke MidSlim 2.0 Flamed finish (1 Degree)
Driver: Ping G – Mitsubishi Diamana Blue 73 X (10.5 Degree)
3 Wood : Callaway Epic Flash – Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75 S (15.5 Degree)
3 Hybrid: Tour Edge CBX 119 – Project X EvenFlow Black 85 S (18 Degree)
3 Hybrid: Ping G – Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue HY 86 S (19 Degree)
4 – GW: Ping i210 - Oban CT-115 X (22.5 - 50 Degrees)
SW: Titleist SM7 S Grind - Tour Chrome - Stock S200 (54 Degree)
LW: Titleist SM7 D Grind - Tour Chrome - Stock S200 (58 Degree)
All Grips:  Winn Dri-Tec Midsize - Gray/Blue w/ 2 extra wraps low hand
Customizing:
Lime Green/Hot Pink Custom Paintfill - all clubs
White ferrules with Blue Stripes from Cell-Parts.net
Irons fitted & built by True Spec Golf
Custom Headcovers from Sunfish Golf
PING White DLX Cart Bag

2 hours ago, B81Smith said:

I used to belong to a little semi private club out in the boon docks.  It was Indian Oaks CC in Shabbona IL.  A 9 holer that was well maintained, had a nice layout and the membership was awesome in terms of outings, events, competitions between clubs, etc.  It was great.  But as time went on it became more expensive, out of my budget and to add it took about 50 minutes to drive there -  so quick 9's were out of the question.  It had nice practice facilities with a range, short game area with bunker, 3-4 pins on several tiers with the ability to walk off at least 100 yards to work on all things short game plus a separate putting green.  I was competitive at the club for a long time but its been some time since I've competed in things so I've signed up and paid for 2 qualifiers this year.  The first is May 1st at Fox Bend GC in Oswego IL for the 5th annual Chicago District Golf Association Mid-Am Championship.  The second qualifier is for the 27th Illinois Mid-Am Championship.  The qualifier I signed up for is held on August 6th at Balmoral Woods CC in Crete IL.

These are big time tourneys for me.  I'll be up against a steep field I think to qualify for these.  I hope to shoot something in the low 70's but figure maybe a score around 74 or less should give me a good chance.  The Mid in mid am's refers to an age restriction on the field.  I had to google this LOL but basically a regular tourney is open to all to qualify and a Mid AM is open to anyone over a certain age in this case its 25 - this eliminates anyone in HS or College who have nothing else to do besides play golf.  So everyone should have a life, a job, bills, etc.  I'm realistic in terms of requesting the days off for the qualifiers but not the tournament dates yet LOL.  I figure if I make it in I'll ask at that time.

I've dedicated a lot of time to hitting balls into a net, working with the super speed system to up my swing speed back to what it was, working on putting on a carpet that I stimped at 9.5, going to the ranges on the weekends and just bought a shot scope v2 to improve areas of weakness.  I'd love to start tracking stats and be able to look at them through the year.

I really need some new equipment but that can wait until xmas time when club champion does the 50% off fittings, and I've been saving 50/week the entire year to gather up about 2600 to get properly fit and take everything to the next level.  I'm playing with irons I got in 2005!  Putter, wedges, woods are not fit for me.  I'm giving up major yards with driver and fairway wood.  Hybrid goes well but not as consistent as I'd like, 4 iron really sucks (butter knife), etc.  Just want a bag I like through and through knowing its all spot on fit for me.

Anyhow those are the goals - make it into those championships  - play my game and hopefully raise it back to what it used to be.

That is great that you are playing in these events.  They are a lot of fun and great competition.  I will be at the CDGA Mid Am qualifier on May 6th in St. Anne.  Good Luck and hopefully see you in the championship.

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

I'd love that!  Judging from your sig your games a little more evolved than mine so I'm sure you'll make it in there but for me it'll take a mid summer round at the very beginning of the year LOL.  We'll see.  I hope I run into you out there.  If I make it, I'll be in knickers so you can't miss me. hahaha.

Ben S
Hailing from N Aurora IL

WITB:
Putter: Mizuno by Bettinardi BC1 w/SuperStroke MidSlim 2.0 Flamed finish (1 Degree)
Customizing:
PING White DLX Cart Bag

I'd love that!  Judging from your sig your games a little more evolved than mine so I'm sure you'll make it in there but for me it'll take a mid summer round at the very beginning of the year LOL.  We'll see.  I hope I run into you out there.  If I make it, I'll be in knickers so you can't miss me. hahaha.

Sounds good. Remember in these 74-75 should get you in no problem. Especially where your qualifying.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

• 4 weeks later...

sad to say I failed to qualify. It got postponed until 5/8 and on a wet, windy day with fast greens my putter completely left me. 35 putts to a 83! After being 6 over after 6 I was pretty much toast. Fought back a little but couldn't keep it going and just sucked the whole day. Better luck next time! The cut was 79! so it was a hard day for all. Lowest score was 73.

Ben S
Hailing from N Aurora IL

WITB:
Customizing:
PING White DLX Cart Bag

13 minutes ago, B81Smith said:

sad to say I failed to qualify. It got postponed until 5/8 and on a wet, windy day with fast greens my putter completely left me. 35 putts to a 83! After being 6 over after 6 I was pretty much toast. Fought back a little but couldn't keep it going and just sucked the whole day. Better luck next time! The cut was 79! so it was a hard day for all. Lowest score was 73.

not to worry. Well done for trying, that's golf I'm afraid.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"