Big money

not watching the Masters

Are you considered a non avid golfer if you don’t watch or follow the Masters?Arguably the biggest weekend in all of golf.I for one am glued to the TV. But know many in my group who never - rarely watch it and rather play golf. What do you think?

While I would definitely rather be playing golf than watching golf, that isn't happening today. Even if it was possible to play today the DVR would be set. For me this is my favorite tournament of the year and I want to watch as much as I can. I don't feel the same way about the PGA Championship and I am sure some people feel that way about other tournaments.

I guess to answer your question, I think you can be an avid golfer and not watch it but I won't be missing any of it if possible.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, blackngold_blood said:

While I would definitely rather be playing golf than watching golf, that isn't happening today. Even if it was possible to play today the DVR would be set. For me this is my favorite tournament of the year and I want to watch as much as I can. I don't feel the same way about the PGA Championship and I am sure some people feel that way about other tournaments.

I guess to answer your question, I think you can be an avid golfer and not watch it but I won't be missing any of it if possible.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Agree. But if I had to choose one day that was a must watch. It would be Sunday 

• Like 3

The Masters is the only tournament a I watch and I only watch on Sunday. I love golf but don’t really care for professional golf. No way I could watch 4 days of a tournament.

I’m shocked how many people have the time to watch 5-6 hours of coverage a day for 4 days straight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I’ve been fortunate attending all 4 rounds of the masters back in 1996.It was an wonderful experience.Fast forward now, and I can careless.Its a complete travesty how this tourney has turned into a marketing endeavor.And just reeks of elitism and the extremely wealthy and privileged.This tourney hurts our great game.It completely shows the world that golf is only meant for a select few.If your not wealthy or not born Into it then you don't belong.Absolutely dread this time of year  

I'd rather be playing, however, my knee injury prevents me from enjoying play.  I will, therefore, enjoy watching the Masters from the comfort of my easy chair and enjoy the best of the best, the select few, compete to determine who will prevail and capture the jacket. 

25 minutes ago, deejaid said:

The Masters is the only tournament a I watch and I only watch on Sunday. I love golf but don’t really care for professional golf. No way I could watch 4 days of a tournament.

I’m shocked how many people have the time to watch 5-6 hours of coverage a day for 4 days straight.

when it comes to The Open I watch 12 hrs a day- Love it, just love it!

• Like 2

Was at the 2001 masters for the Friday round. And just love this tourney. Also met a young lady 25 years younger than me at this event. We had a quick fling / one night stand later that evening.But was just an incredible experience I will never forget.  Not only the golf event but the fun later that night in my hotel room 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Twofer said:

Was at the 2001 masters for the Friday round. And just love this tourney. Also met a young lady 25 years younger than me at this event. We had a quick fling / one night stand later that evening.But was just an incredible experience I will never forget.  Not only the golf event but the fun later that night in my hotel room 

Sounds like you won a green jacket yourself that weekend. We had a rumor from a few members that had many conversations with both Jack and Arnie in the day . They as well had many one night flings during the Masters in Augusta. Just rumor 

• Like 2

OK, it sounds like it is better in person than on tv.

• Like 2

I’ve been fortunate attending all 4 rounds of the masters back in 1996.It was an wonderful experience.Fast forward now, and I can careless.Its a complete travesty how this tourney has turned into a marketing endeavor.And just reeks of elitism and the extremely wealthy and privileged.This tourney hurts our great game.It completely shows the world that golf is only meant for a select few.If your not wealthy or not born Into it then you don't belong.Absolutely dread this time of year  

I wouldn't agree. From my perspective it's a magical place that draws great players and fans. Marketing? Is it any different than the Super Bowl or other major professional sports events?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1

Are you considered a non avid golfer if you don’t watch or follow the Masters?Arguably the biggest weekend in all of golf.I for one am glued to the TV. But know many in my group who never - rarely watch it and rather play golf. What do you think?

I did both. Played 18 this morning then began watching late this afternoon.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

I wouldn't agree. From my perspective it's a magical place that draws great players and fans. Marketing? Is it any different than the Super Bowl or other major professional sports events?

You just don’t get it.When your on one side of the tracks versus the other 

4 hours ago, Edveed said:

Its a complete travesty how this tourney has turned into a marketing endeavor.And just reeks of elitism and the extremely wealthy and privileged.This tourney hurts our great game.It completely shows the world that golf is only meant for a select few.If your not wealthy or not born Into it then you don't belong.Absolutely dread this time of year  

Regardless of the topic... that's one of the saddest posts I think I've ever read so I'll just leave it there.

• Like 5

We should call you onefer!

• Like 2

I would play over watching in a heart beat although this year’s leaderboard had changed my mind. I was planning to watch. That’s off the table now. :(

While many of you are just starting your seasons ours is transitioning from very high peasant conditions to golf in to very hot and humid - I always watch the final round of both opens - the Masters? Not so much.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

I'd play in a heartbeat and DVR the Masters, however it's still white outside instead of green so I'll be glued to the TV tomorrow morning.

• Like 2

For us boys born and raised in the South it is tradition---- I have had the privilege of attending the event 7 times over the years. The last time was 20 years ago. Normally if the opportunity presents itself I will play golf myself and tape it. Yesterday I was sorta laid up with a joint inflammation in my left foot. I did do some modifications on my Scotty putter and putted about 2 hours with it yesterday morning and then yesterday afternoon. So I saw some of it and taped the rest and watched it this morning. And yes I purchased some Palmetto Pimento brand pimento cheese for the weekend which is about as close to the Pimento Cheese sandwiches at August as one can get. If you think ANGC looks good on HDTV you ought to be there in person. As far as the other majors especially the US Open I could give two hoots less

• Like 4

Hope the joint inflammation gets better. All my buddies that have been there said it’s greener in person. It’s on my bucket list

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BIG STU said:

For us boys born and raised in the South it is tradition---- I have had the privilege of attending the event 7 times over the years. The last time was 20 years ago. Normally if the opportunity presents itself I will play golf myself and tape it. Yesterday I was sorta laid up with a joint inflammation in my left foot. I did do some modifications on my Scotty putter and putted about 2 hours with it yesterday morning and then yesterday afternoon. So I saw some of it and taped the rest and watched it this morning. And yes I purchased some Palmetto Pimento brand pimento cheese for the weekend which is about as close to the Pimento Cheese sandwiches at August as one can get. If you think ANGC looks good on HDTV you ought to be there in person. As far as the other majors especially the US Open I could give two hoots less

Big Stu: this stuff

D9D32555-0C39-4D20-B9F2-FBBF018F7D20.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Love 1