Testers Wanted! AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Dave's Take: Xikar's VX2 V-Cut Cutter Review

• SPY VIP

Spring is Here; Let’s Open the Lounge

Xikar V Cutter - 13.jpg

Since the Masters is now over, we can all officially welcome in the 2019 Golf Season! Sure, some of you are still dealing with snow, and some of us never really stopped playing anyway, but at least symbolically, we are all now ready to pack our gear, and hit the course.

Those of us who enjoy a good stick with our sticks know that “golf gear” also includes our favorite tools for lighting up our favorite golf cigars. Just like selecting the best ball for our game, we also must take the time to select the correct cutters, lighters, and other cigar products for the.

As such, it seemed like the natural time to add the Xikar XV2 V-Cut cutter to our growing Cigar Review Compendium.

The Xikar VX2 V-Cut Cutter

Xikar V Cutter - 1.jpg

The VX2 V-Cut is engineered to create the optimal depth of a v-cut, ensuring plenty of draw without damaging your cigar cap. The inverted stainless steel blade provides inward pressure to the cap of the cigar during the cut, preventing the cap from expanding and splitting.

The new VX2 V-Cut offers ergonomic, one-handed operation utilizing the all new Secure-Lock™ system requiring simultaneous pressure to both side release buttons, easily done with your thumb and index finger. Upon release, the spring-loaded cutter snaps open providing access to a built-in 64RG bowl, simply place the cigar cap in the bowl and press the cutter closed. The precision engineered depth of the VX2 V-Cut maximizes draw without cutting too deep and breaching the cigar cap causing your cigar to unravel. Exquisitely designed and engineered for precision.

I thought that we would kick off the 2019 cigar gear reviews with the new Xikar product that I have been most excited to try out, the Xikar XV2 V-Cut cutter. It’s tough to pinpoint why this cutter really piqued my curiosity, but at soon as I saw it, I wanted to take it out for a quick clip.

I guess I was wondering about how a V-Cut compares to the traditional guillotine cut, or simple punch through the cigar's cap. Is the draw smoother? Does the cap suffer more, or less damage when sliced in the V shape? Could the deeper V-cut make the draw too much? As I said, I was curious.

Xikar V Cutter - 5.jpg

Specifications: Xikar VX2 V-Cut Cutter

• V-Cut cutter
  • Aluminum body
  • Stainless steel blades
  • Double Secure-Lock™ release buttons
  • Spring-loaded blade release
  • 64 RG bowl (cuts the cap of 70RG cigars)
  • Colors: 5 (Silver tested)
  • MSRP: $49.99

One of the things that you are likely to first notice when you take the VX2 cutter out of the box is its weight. This cutter has a very pleasing heft to it. It feels like you are going to do something significant with it. As you can see from the photos, it’s just the right size for single-handed operation. The VX2 sits in your palm, where you can then very easily engage the Secure-Lock™ buttons to open the cutter. 

I like this double-button feature as it is super unlikely that the cutter will just pop open on its own, either in your bag or your pocket. Simple to open, and only opens when you need it to. That’s an ideal mix.

SBS VX2.jpg

To cut your stick, you just simply rest the cap in the bowl, and press down on the top of the cutter. The blades are quite sharp, and cruised through the tobacco without a rip or squish.

The cigar in my photos is a NUB Habano tubo, a pretty solid stick made by Oliva, with a ring gauge of 60. Here is an image from the Xikar site showing you what the cuts would look like with different sized cigars.

vcut-cigars.png

Even with a smaller cigar, the cut depth does not penetrate too far. This is likely due to the bowl geometry of the cutter. Regardless, you’ll have no issues with having the dreaded too-deep V.

Vneck.jpg

Did the V-Cut Make a Difference?

SBS VX2 cuts.jpg

That’s the big question, right? It is all fine and good if the cutter feels good, and cuts well, but why bother if the performance is not significantly different from just poking a tee into the end of the stick? What did I conclude?

I loved smoking the NUB with the V-cut.

If I’m being honest, didn’t really expect to see that much of a difference between the V-cut and the traditional blunt cut. The difference was actually quite extraordinary. I’ve had more than a couple of NUB tubos on the course. They are the perfect length, and the tube makes them very golf bag friendly. Until prior to the VX2, all of them had been cut with a traditional guillotine cutter.

Xikar V Cutter - 8.jpg

The VX2 was as easy to use as expected, but the improved draw was a lovely surprise. Something about cutting through the cap, and deeper into the filler, really made the draw smooth, and appropriate. Now obviously your mileage will vary with the cigar brand that you choose, but with that NUB, the draw was spot on. Not too much so the cigar burned too hot, and not too little, causing you to collapse your face to move air though the layers.

It was a balanced smoking experience, with the NUB only becoming too hot to hit once I was under the 1” mark.

Xikar V Cutter - 12.jpg

Out of curiosity, I also double V-cut a NUB and while the airflow went up a bit, it was still a spot on smoking experience. No problems with cigar integrity on that second cut either. This blade, will cut!

Dave’s Take: Bag the VX2 V-Cutter

Xikar V Cutter - 9.jpg

While I could roll out a bunch more fancy words about the Xikar VX2 V-Cut, the final take is that this will be the cutter in my golf bag, and on my patio for the foreseeable future. It’s fun to cut with, and the V-cut opening enhances the cigar smoking experience.

The five available colors cover a wide range of aesthetic options, and while the $50 price is quite reasonable for the Xikar quality, a quick search on Amazon will let you grab one for about $10 less.

Stay tuned for more Xikar and other cigar-related products in the coming weeks. I may even have a few things to pass along your way as well.

-Dave

Xikar V Cutter - 4.jpg

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Not a gar smoker but I had to take a look. Dave posts some of the best photos. 🏌️‍♂️

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I used to use an old crappy blunt cutter that would almost tear of an end, then you had to spit out cigar fragments for the next hour. This looks a beauty!  cant believe I'm interested in a cigar cutter on a golf forum...............but I am😉

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

• SPY VIP
The V cut is probably my new favorite way to cut cigars because there is no worries about the cigar falling apart when at work and getting beat up.

I think it’s my new favorite too. Much as I love the ritual of the Xikar XO cutter, this one just makes for a better smoking experience.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

2 hours ago, GolfSpy Dave said:

I think it’s my new favorite too. Much as I love the ritual of the Xikar XO cutter, this one just makes for a better smoking experience.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I agree I've had some good cigars recently start to fall apart when smoking them after getting cut with a guillotine. 

Now I am a "cigar rookie" compared to you guys but in my experiments I have found what I call a eye cut or what you call a v cut to be the most effective for me. I have experimented with both the guillotine and the hole punch thing and found the v cut is the best. I have even used a tee on occasion. Lately I have been smoking Tampa Trolleys because I got a good price on them but have tried Acid Blonde and like those too. The Trolleys seem smooth to me and I can buy 3 of them for what one Acid Blonde costs. The only time I smoke cigars is on the golf course  

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

On 4/16/2019 at 1:04 PM, tommc23 said:

I agree I've had some good cigars recently start to fall apart when smoking them after getting cut with a guillotine. 

I have had the same thing happen even with cheaper cigars. A experienced cigar smoker at the shop where I buy mine turned me on to the V cut method. Like I said I am a rookie on this. Trust me I read a lot of what you guys say and absorb it

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

On 4/17/2019 at 6:42 PM, BIG STU said:

I have had the same thing happen even with cheaper cigars. A experienced cigar smoker at the shop where I buy mine turned me on to the V cut method. Like I said I am a rookie on this. Trust me I read a lot of what you guys say and absorb it

See old dogs can learn new tricks lol

Yep did the double V-cut on one of my Trolleys last week. Loved it made the stick burn more evenly and perfectly also seemed to enhance the flavor too. Thanks for the tip

G