TESTERS WANTED! ×

2019 Official Forum Member Review-Bettinardi Arm Lock Putter

Golfspy_CG2

On 4/15/2019 at 2:02 PM, downlowkey said:

Play it or Trade it? (18 out of 20 points)

I truly believe it would benefit every single beginner to hit their first putts with an Armlock. The motions it promotes _and_ prevents, pay dividends. I ran into @PokeForeLyfe at the course on Memorial Day and asked him to roll a few. Like most, his initial impression was "Looks closed, setup feels strange". Half a dozen 20 footers later he starts rolling one great putt after another, then cuts me open with the all important question, "Are you going to game it?". I took a deep breath, swallowed a lump in my throat and replied "Yeah, I think so". He stopped mid-stroke, stood up, looked me in the eye and said "With the way I've seen you putt, that's kinda hard to believe". I gotta tell you guys, it's hard for me to believe too. But I'm diving into the deep end on this one. I don't think the Armlock offers the magic to go low despite an off ball striking day, that my M5K occasionally produced. But on the other end of the spectrum, I think it's a reliable workhorse that will fundamentally improve my stats on the bad days when the hole suddenly appears to be the size of a thimble. This was a HUGE decision for me.

I've read through your great review 3 times - it's so well written and presented I didn't want to miss anything. You were already a very skilled putter before this experiment. And I heard your struggle with whether to replace your current putter even while in the midst of writing your final review. I must say I'm impressed with your "HUGE decision" to embrace the change. You make me feel like I need a new armlock putter for myself. Change can be good.

Of course, almost every MGS review I read has a tendency to make me yearn to try something new!

PXG 0811 XF driver

:ping-small: Serene: 3 wood, 4 & 5 hybrid iron

:taylormade-small: r7 Draw, Flex L: 4, 6 - 9 irons

:cleveland-small: Wedges: RTX Zipcore 46 mid bounce; RTX-3: 52/10 wedge; and Tour Action 900 60* low bounce

:bettinardi-1: Armlock putter or  :edel-golf-1: E-2 Torque custom fit putter

:bridgestone-small: Tour B XS golf ball

:ShotScope:  V3

I still can not believe how much I love this putter, it completely transformed the weakest club in my bag into the strongest. That NEVER happens by just making an equipment change. I've said it before, and I'll probably say it again, you are doing yourself a disservice if you don't consider an armlock putter. It's still unfathomable to me how awesome this club is. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Fantastic detail. I’ve had to read through a few times but I do have a few questions for testers...

There seems to be a common perception that it sets up closed. How did you guys adjust for that? Did you move your ball position closer to the middle of your stance?
- How did that then affect loft since it’s only a 2* head?

What kind of putting strokes do you have?
- would this fit a wide spectrum between strong arc and slight arc?

Looking back to your selection day and subsequent days following, would you change your length of putter and to that, how did you best decide what length?

Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

4 hours ago, bens197 said:

Fantastic detail. I’ve had to read through a few times but I do have a few questions for testers...

There seems to be a common perception that it sets up closed. How did you guys adjust for that? Did you move your ball position closer to the middle of your stance?

Looking back to your selection day and subsequent days following, would you change your length of putter and to that, how did you best decide what length?

Thanks guys emoji4.png

Great questions! 

To be honest, I didn't really adjust for it looking closed. It bothered me for a couple of putts, but then I pretty much just ignored it. Although, I suppose that could be why I was subconsciously aiming to the right, but I'm not really sure. 

I do believe in the beginning of this thread, I said I had to move the ball way back in my stance, but as this test has progressed, I've found myself doing that less and less. I'd say I set up with the ball about 2 inches farther foward from the middle, with a little forward press. (I have a really wide putting stance, so 2 inches isn't as much for me as it is for someone with a narrower stance.)  

I ordered mine at 6* loft and I believe stock is 5*, so Bettinardi has allowed for some of that forward press in the head. That said, if you have a lot of forward press with the ball back in your stance the loft will cause problems. I've not encountered any issues with where I play the ball.

My stroke is firmly in the slight arc category so the 1/4 toe hang of this putter is perfect for me. I absolutely think it would be fine for a SBST stroke, but I'd expect some difficulties with a strong arc stroke. I will say though, a fitting for an armlock is imperative, since the change in grip can change your stroke properties as well. Just because you are a strong arc putter with a conventional putter, does not mean you will be with an armlock putter. 

I'm happy with the length I ordered, and it was honestly an educated guess, which it NOT what I recommend. Basically, I measured my elbow to floor length, and went from there. That said, my only gripe about the length, was MAKE THE GRIP LONGER!! I know the same armlock effect is achieved by ending the grip 3 inches below the elbow crook, but I'd have felt more comfortable if I could have had the shaft all the way up my arm until just below my elbow crook. If I were to do that my bottom hand would be gripping the metal shaft, which I'm not gonna do. I mean, it worked out fine, but it still would have made me more comfortable with the grip itself. 

Great questions! 
To be honest, I didn't really adjust for it looking closed. It bothered me for a couple of putts, but then I pretty much just ignored it. Although, I suppose that could be why I was subconsciously aiming to the right, but I'm not really sure. 
I do believe in the beginning of this thread, I said I had to move the ball way back in my stance, but as this test has progressed, I've found myself doing that less and less. I'd say I set up with the ball about 2 inches farther foward from the middle, with a little forward press. (I have a really wide putting stance, so 2 inches isn't as much for me as it is for someone with a narrower stance.)  
I ordered mine at 6* loft and I believe stock is 5*, so Bettinardi has allowed for some of that forward press in the head. That said, if you have a lot of forward press with the ball back in your stance the loft will cause problems. I've not encountered any issues with where I play the ball.
My stroke is firmly in the slight arc category so the 1/4 toe hang of this putter is perfect for me. I absolutely think it would be fine for a SBST stroke, but I'd expect some difficulties with a strong arc stroke. I will say though, a fitting for an armlock is imperative, since the change in grip can change your stroke properties as well. Just because you are a strong arc putter with a conventional putter, does not mean you will be with an armlock putter. 
I'm happy with the length I ordered, and it was honestly an educated guess, which it NOT what I recommend. Basically, I measured my elbow to floor length, and went from there. That said, my only gripe about the length, was MAKE THE GRIP LONGER!! I know the same armlock effect is achieved by ending the grip 3 inches below the elbow crook, but I'd have felt more comfortable if I could have had the shaft all the way up my arm until just below my elbow crook. If I were to do that my bottom hand would be gripping the metal shaft, which I'm not gonna do. I mean, it worked out fine, but it still would have made me more comfortable with the grip itself. 

I misspoke about the loft. Glad to see it didn’t affect you. I like the logic behind these and as you mention, the grip length just seems odd. I had looked at a lot of folks demo’ing these online and photos lent themselves to the idea that most of the lower hands finished at or below the grip. Just seemed silly.

I don’t know if I can drop this sort of $ now but who knows. Thanks for following up
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

2 hours ago, bens197 said:

I misspoke about the loft. Glad to see it didn’t affect you. I like the logic behind these and as you mention, the grip length just seems odd. I had looked at a lot of folks demo’ing these online and photos lent themselves to the idea that most of the lower hands finished at or below the grip. Just seemed silly.

I don’t know if I can drop this sort of $ now but who knows. Thanks for following upemoji4.png

If I were building one from scratch, I'd probably put this grip on it:

https://www.jumbomax.com/jmx-jumboflat-17-putter-grip/

It is 2" longer than the Betti grip and having the flat portion against the forearm instead of a rounded grip makes the most sense to me. 

Edited by GB13

If I were building one from scratch, I'd probably put this grip on it:
https://www.jumbomax.com/jmx-jumboflat-17-putter-grip/
It is 2" longer than the Betti grip and having the flat portion against the forearm instead of a rounded grip makes the most sense to me. 

Since it’s almost all about feel this one looks like the way to go.

Thanks for all the good info, I really am curious about these and who knows...maybe in my impulsivity it’ll get the best of me!
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

On 6/9/2019 at 4:49 AM, bens197 said:

To me, this head sets up dead nuts square. I think the open/closed perceptions have more to do with unfitted Armlock putters forcing most people into adjusted setup positions. Essentially, everyone has an ideal eye position that allows them to best see the line. For me, the ideal is a smidge inside the line and a couple inches behind the ball. I made clear to my Club Champion fitter that maintaining the same eye position that I've employed for the past 20 years was priority #1. My relatively forward ball position is subsequently the reason I selected 3* of loft (the rest of the group is 5 - 7 degrees).

I personally don't think Armlock is a good look for Team Strong Arc (not sure it's even possible). I have a very slight arc with this setup and am loving the path consistency.

23 hours ago, GB13 said:

22 hours ago, bens197 said:

I actually would have preferred my setup to be ~38.5" (inch and a half shorter) but since we were encouraged to submit specs within Bettinardi's standard fitting options, I went with the closest available length. Now that the official review is wrapped up, I'll be blowing off the 15" deep-etched cord (hopefully intact) and trimming the shaft. My reasoning behind this adjustment is partly the grip profile where my hands meet. But I also would like to move the balance point closer to the head. Based on testing, I am of the opinion that moving the upper anchor point closer to my elbow adversely affects feel for pace.

Because it's a Lamkin specialty product, I haven't been able to find full spec info on this Armlock grip (standard deep-etched cord is 85 grams). And I personally would be leery about installing a longer and potentially heavier grip because it may move the balance point further away from the head. As it stands, the balance point on my SS38 is eleven inches from the center of the face (only 13.5" below my bottom hand).

1940730197_BalanceBeam.thumb.jpg.08dfc64ea60f26f47e639c4e324f1d3d.jpg

I could discuss the nuances of this putting style all day so please reach out if my comments above are unclear _or_ you have additional questions about fitting/setup.

FWIW - I ran into @PokeForeLyfe at the course again yesterday, and after having rolled my setup the first time, he pulled the trigger on an SS28 Armlock. I'll encourage him to chime in here after he's had some time to adjust.

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

Finally posted my Stage 2 sorry for the delay I hope its worth the wait.

Ping G410 LST 10.5 set -1* Flat Accra TZ5 65 M5

Callaway Epic Flash 15* set -1 Aldila ATX Blue 75TX

Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 19* KBS Tour V X

Ben Hogan PTX Pro 4-P KBS Tour V X 2* Flat 4* loft increments

Hogan Equalizer 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 X 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 56* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 62* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

EVNROLL ER7 P2 Aware Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback P2 Aware Tour Grip
Snell MTB-X

Getting caught up on this thread. Looks like I may have to track down and roll some of these arm locks. I would love to have something that would help me have a more repeatable stroke.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

I have a confession. I really wanted to test this putter.....and after reading all the comments I pulled the trigger on one. I figure....worst case scenario....if it doesn’t work out.....I can sell it for relatively close to what I bought it for.......

Lets see if it can kick my gamer out!

:ping-small: G 400 driver with Aldila DVS 55-SR shaft (FAIRWAY FINDING MONSTER)

:taylormade-small: Aero Burner 16 degree mini driver regular flex

:callaway-logo-1: Rogue Heavenwood regular flex 

:Hogan: Icon/PTX Pro Combo Set.  VKTR hybrid.

:Hogan: Equalizer Wedges 50, 54, 58 degrees

:callaway-small:Odyssey Two Ball Triple Track Putter, 32 inches  

LAB Golf Directed Force 2.1 putter, 32 inches, 70 degree lie angle

Right Handed. 

10 hours ago, joen said:

I have a confession. I really wanted to test this putter.....and after reading all the comments I pulled the trigger on one. I figure....worst case scenario....if it doesn’t work out.....I can sell it for relatively close to what I bought it for.......

Lets see if it can kick my gamer out!

You won't be disappointed!! Hope it works out for ya! 

If you guys had to provide a general quick guide to fitting yourself what would it be? Like WTF = 35” get 42”. If you prefer standard putter at 70 degree lie angle order 75. Etc...

EDIT: WTF = wrist to floor haha

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

5 hours ago, Wedgie said:

If you guys had to provide a general quick guide to fitting yourself what would it be? Like WTF = 35” get 42”. If you prefer standard putter at 70 degree lie angle order 75. Etc...

EDIT: WTF = wrist to floor haha

I ordered mine based on my elbow to floor. I believe the ETF is much more important than WTF strictly because you want the armlock to hit in the right spot. Ideally 2" below the elbow. My ETF is 43", therefore I ordered a 41" putter. Is it the preferred method to determine length? No, but it worked perfectly for me. So if I had to make a simple formula it would be ETF -2". 

I ordered mine based on my elbow to floor. I believe the ETF is much more important than WTF strictly because you want the armlock to hit in the right spot. Ideally 2" below the elbow. My ETF is 43", therefore I ordered a 41" putter. Is it the preferred method to determine length? No, but it worked perfectly for me. So if I had to make a simple formula it would be ETF -2". 

Thanks, I got my hands on one of these today. It looked like it was a return. It seemed really long and I felt like I was a mile away from the ball. Also felt like it weighed a ton but it has me curious.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

30 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

Thanks, I got my hands on one of these today. It looked like it was a return. It seemed really long and I felt like I was a mile away from the ball. Also felt like it weighed a ton but it has me curious.

Ya, they feel really weird at first. First 1000 putts with mine were the most awkward strokes I've ever made. The weight is helpful once you get used to it. 

Thanks to all the testers for the fine reviews - pushed me off the fence to finally buy an armlock.  I went with one much less classic than a Bettinardi but far easier for me to set up to.  Only have 18 holes in with it and still am playing with setup and stroke.  That said, it clearly will benefit my putting over time.

16 hours ago, Wedgie said:

The way I measured mine was to take my gamer and set up, then measure the distance from the end of the putter grip to 2" below my elbow.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

I just pulled the trigger on a like new Bettinardi Arm Lock for under $200.  Picking it up today and they will make the needed adjustments for me at the shop when I arrive.  So I guess the biggest thing is 2 inches under the elbow for length, get the lie angle right and then adjust loft accordingly?  

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

18 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

I just pulled the trigger on a like new Bettinardi Arm Lock for under $200.  Picking it up today and they will make the needed adjustments for me at the shop when I arrive.  So I guess the biggest thing is 2 inches under the elbow for length, get the lie angle right and then adjust loft accordingly?  

That's a good plan! Loft will be dependent on where you normally set up to the ball, so try to keep that fairly consistent as what you normally do.

Good luck!! 

@joen, @Wedgie, and @bellairemi- How are the armlocks working for y'all? And feel free to chime in with any thoughts, good and bad! We'd love to have your input as well! 

Edited by GB13

23 minutes ago, GB13 said:

@joen, @Wedgie, and @bellairemi- How are the armlocks working for y'all? And feel free to chime in with any thoughts, good and bad! We'd love to have your input as well! 

I ended up not getting it.  I found a barely used one but the fitter said he didn't want to cut it as much as it needed to be cut and the loft was way out of whack as well.  I'm kind of back to square one as to whether or not to get one.  If I could be properly fit then I'd do it, but until then I ponder.

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

11 hours ago, GB13 said:

GB,

Here are my thoughts after getting the Bettinardi out for 18 holes today. 

I used it for multiple sessions on my indoor putting green before taking it out to the course. 

First....this method feels awkward as anything. It just doesn’t feel right. 

With that said....this putter starts the ball on line each and every time. I missed the second round cut of a tournament just recently because my putting stroke broke down when the heat got turned on because I knew I needed to shoot a number. I got handsy with the heat, so I decided to give this armlock thing a try. I am glad I did. You cannot get handsy with this putter. 

My strokes gained for the round was a +1 putting handicap. I had no three putts. Surprisingly...my distance control was spot on with this putter despite it feeling so awkward!  Did I mention yet it felt awkward?

Here are my questions for you guys...,and I know feel isn’t real. But, how do you feel like you are powering the putter?  It seems to work best when I feel my lead shoulder rock down and then rock up. 

Also....do you guys let your shoulders stay open like they want to do or do you close them down to square?  

This putter may be a game changer with the ability to start this thing on the intended line every time. I made two birdies and I missed several birdie putts just leaving the putt at the edge of the hole. 

566B087B-54E0-460F-9C88-AC8F972DD100.gif

Right Handed. 

22 minutes ago, joen said:

GB,

Here are my thoughts after getting the Bettinardi out for 18 holes today. 

I used it for multiple sessions on my indoor putting green before taking it out to the course. 

First....this method feels awkward as anything. It just doesn’t feel right. 

With that said....this putter starts the ball on line each and every time. I missed the second round cut of a tournament just recently because my putting stroke broke down when the heat got turned on because I knew I needed to shoot a number. I got handsy with the heat, so I decided to give this armlock thing a try. I am glad I did. You cannot get handsy with this putter. 

My strokes gained for the round was a +1 putting handicap. I had no three putts. Surprisingly...my distance control was spot on with this putter despite it feeling so awkward!  Did I mention yet it felt awkward?

Here are my questions for you guys...,and I know feel isn’t real. But, how do you feel like you are powering the putter?  It seems to work best when I feel my lead shoulder rock down and then rock up. 

Also....do you guys let your shoulders stay open like they want to do or do you close them down to square?  

This putter may be a game changer with the ability to start this thing on the intended line every time. I made two birdies and I missed several birdie putts just leaving the putt at the edge of the hole. 

566B087B-54E0-460F-9C88-AC8F972DD100.gif

Thank you for your thoughts!! 

It is super awkward at first. You WILL get more comfortable. Sounds like it worked fairly well, and kudos to you for putting it into play for a tournament this early. 

My feel for powering the putter is similar to yours. I really don't like saying "powering" because it should be a fairly smooth stroke no real "powering". But I generally try to rock my front shoulder back and forth. No hands or arms at all. 

I'm very much a feel putter, so I just go with wherever my shoulders are, I don't try to get "technically correct". It's usually a little bit open and not square. I'd say it's totally fine to have open shoulders, but I'd love to hear @downlowkey's thoughts on this matter. He understands the mechanics of putting much better than I do. 

8 hours ago, GB13 said:

Thank you for your thoughts!! 

It is super awkward at first. You WILL get more comfortable. Sounds like it worked fairly well, and kudos to you for putting it into play for a tournament this early. 

My feel for powering the putter is similar to yours. I really don't like saying "powering" because it should be a fairly smooth stroke no real "powering". But I generally try to rock my front shoulder back and forth. No hands or arms at all. 

I'm very much a feel putter, so I just go with wherever my shoulders are, I don't try to get "technically correct". It's usually a little bit open and not square. I'd say it's totally fine to have open shoulders, but I'd love to hear @downlowkey's thoughts on this matter. He understands the mechanics of putting much better than I do. 

GB,

Thanks for your input regarding the shoulders. It does feel more natural to let them be open. And yes....powering may not be the right word....it is just a smooth motion. And I may not have worded it correctly...I put the armlock into play because I imploded with my regular putting method with tournament pressure. I look forward to @downlowkey thoughts on this subject. 

Right Handed. 

OK. 18 more holes today. Shot an even par 72. Putting handicap was 3 today. I had six birdie looks 15 feet and in....,which is what I consider realistic. I converted one out of six. I made a fifty foot bomb for birdie....left a 44 foot birdie right on the lip. I did three putt one green when I left myself with a circus putt....so I am not sure that one really counts....lol. Overall I am pleased with the putter and I suspect it will get more solid as I use it more. 

Right Handed. 

I found a place that had a couple in stock and the guys didn’t know squat about them so they were no help. I’m a normal sized dude and boy these seem to just not fit me at all. The ball is just too far away for me to line up a putt.

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

On 6/17/2019 at 10:10 AM, GB13 said:

Stroke is far better with the armlock but now I need to work on my alignment.  I think I cheated with my alignment to counteract whatever flaws my stroke had (I tended to "block" putts a bit I know from a putter fitting).  

On 6/17/2019 at 8:48 PM, joen said:

Both my elbows are tucked tight into my ribs and I would characterize the feel (for me) to be driven by the obliques. Anchored against your lead forearm, the Armlock neutralizes the hands/wrists but it’s still possible to get your arms moving out of sync with your shoulders. Which is why I’m more focused on balanced (right/left side) trunk rotation.

On the “open” shoulder subject - I think a lot of people technically “extend” their right shoulder because the exaggerated forward shaft lean requires a longer reach. But if your lead shoulder moves in a perpendicular rotation around your spine, I don’t think an open shoulder setup is necessarily a dealbreaker.

Because you are left side oriented, if you want to square your shoulders without a major setup change, a right-hand claw grip requires less reach and should allow your right shoulder to settle into a more neutral joint position.  

23 hours ago, GB13 said:

I'm very much a feel putter, so I just go with wherever my shoulders are, I don't try to get "technically correct". It's usually a little bit open and not square. I'd say it's totally fine to have open shoulders, but I'd love to hear @downlowkey's thoughts on this matter.

On the individual level, I’m a firm believer in embracing what works. If things start to breakdown (push/pull) in high pressure situations as @joen alluded, square shoulders might be something to look at. But if the potato is consistently tumbling down the line, keep on doing your thing.

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan