Golfspy_CG2

2019 Official Forum Member Review-Bettinardi Arm Lock Putter

Thinking that along with the armlocks, reviewers need to be taught the armlock technique specifically. Taken me a while to find a good technique that works better than the Evnroll I had.

For those of you who are participating I have one question.

What are your thoughts on the hands meeting at the end of the grip and top of the shaft? I haven’t seen one of these yet where the golfer has a majority of their hands on the grip? Is this by design?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

5 hours ago, Green Sheep Productions said:

Thinking that along with the armlocks, reviewers need to be taught the armlock technique specifically. Taken me a while to find a good technique that works better than the Evnroll I had.

Yes, it's completely different feel that must be gotten used to in order to feel comfortable with the stroke.  Everyone that has tried my putter on the practice green could not figure out how to properly hold it until shown.

1 hour ago, bens197 said:

What are your thoughts on the hands meeting at the end of the grip and top of the shaft? I haven’t seen one of these yet where the golfer has a majority of their hands on the grip? Is this by design?

It must be by design.  This particular putter has a 15 inch grip and, depending on how high up the forearm the grip reaches, it could present this issue.  In my case, I only rest it halfway up my arm instead of 2 inches below the elbow, and both hands are on the grip.

It must be by design.  This particular putter has a 15 inch grip and, depending on how high up the forearm the grip reaches, it could present this issue.  In my case, I only rest it halfway up my arm instead of 2 inches below the elbow, and both hands are on the grip.

Well then that’s good. Maybe it’s just me, but a majority of the guys I’ve seen using these seem to have a hand on the shaft rather than the grip.

Thanks for the follow up.

1 hour ago, bens197 said:

Well then that’s good. Maybe it’s just me, but a majority of the guys I’ve seen using these seem to have a hand on the shaft rather than the grip.

This is interesting. Have you seen guys using Bettinardi Armlocks specifically?

USGA regs specify “under elbow crease”. But the handle doesn’t have to reach nearly that high for the intended Armlock effect. Without actually seeing these individuals myself, this is a guess, but I’d wager they are trying to get the butt of the grip right up to the limit _or_ their putter length is too long for their particular setup tendencies.

If a golfer wanted to both have the grip go right up to the crease _and_ get both hands on it, the 15” grip that Bettinardi puts on the Armlock might be a stretch for some. I know longer versions are available from other grip companies.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, bens197 said:

I use a variation of a prayer grip where my right hand has probably 3-4 fingers of overlap over my left hand. This allows both hands to be on the grip, but for players that wouldn't find that comfortable, I think the grip should be a few inches longer. 

Edited by GB13

8 hours ago, Green Sheep Productions said:

While I think that would be beneficial for us, the goal is to test the putter like a normal consumer would. A normal consumer would be limited to possibly a fitting/lesson, and YouTube videos. For us to produce an accurate test we shouldn't receive preferantial treatment that other consumers wouldn't. It could definately skew our reviews. 

• Like 4

I use a variation of a prayer grip where my right hand has probably 3-4 fingers of overlap over my left hand. This allows both hands to be on the grip, but for players that wouldn't find that comfortable, I think the grip should be a few inches longer. 

And with that I think that’s where the variations are allowed to thrive. You’ll see grip styles that wouldn’t necessarily thrive with a traditional length putter. I can see what you’re doing and why it would work well.

As you progress through this write-up do you expect to try some different grips and stances?
  • Like 1

Just now, bens197 said:

And with that I think that’s where the variations are allowed to thrive. You’ll see grip styles that wouldn’t necessarily thrive with a traditional length putter. I can see what you’re doing and why it would work well.

As you progress through this write-up do you expect to try some different grips and stances?

Yes, I definately plan on trying different grips, mainly the claw and convential, non-overlap grip. I've briefly tried both, and the claw didn't seem to work super well, and I just wasn't as confident with the convential. I do think convential would be my second choice, with practice, it could work pretty well for me. I'm not convinced I should ever putt with a claw grip, I tried it with a non-armlock putter last year, and it was a mess. 

I wasn't planning on trying different stances, but if you tell me what different stances you'd like me to test, I'd be happy to give it a shot. 

• Like 1

This is interesting. Have you seen guys using Bettinardi Armlocks specifically?
USGA regs specify “under elbow crease”. But the handle doesn’t have to reach nearly that high for the intended Armlock effect. Without actually seeing these individuals myself, this is a guess, but I’d wager they are trying to get the butt of the grip right up to the limit _or_ their putter length is too long for their particular setup tendencies.
If a golfer wanted to both have the grip go right up to the crease _and_ get both hands on it, the 15” grip that Bettinardi puts on the Armlock might be a stretch for some. I know longer versions are available from other companies.

This was not specific to one brand but since Betty’s seem to lead the way in arm locks, it could be just that.

Here’s just one example as a photo. What stuck out to me was how hands near the end of the grip embrace the the taper.

I can’t speak to the latter but I like your theory.

IMG_5001.JPG

Yes, I definately plan on trying different grips, mainly the claw and convential, non-overlap grip. I've briefly tried both, and the claw didn't seem to work super well, and I just wasn't as confident with the convential. I do think convential would be my second choice, with practice, it could work pretty well for me. I'm not convinced I should ever putt with a claw grip, I tried it with a non-armlock putter last year, and it was a mess. 
I wasn't planning on trying different stances, but if you tell me what different stances you'd like me to test, I'd be happy to give it a shot. 

You do you brother. I was just curious to see if this would require you to change your address and or putting stance.
  • Like 1

Just now, bens197 said:

You do you brother. I was just curious to see if this would require you to change your address and or putting stance.

Yeah, the only change at address was that I moved the ball back farther in my stance. I had already wanted to move the ball back in my stance, and add some forward press, so that worked out well. You could definately get specs that wouldn't require you to move the ball at all in your stance, you'd just need a proper fitting to determine what those are. 

I didn't need to make any change to my stance, my putting stance is fairly wide with a higher than normal amount of knee flex. If you get the right length, you shouldn't need to change your stance at all. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, bens197 said:

What stuck out to me was how hands near the end of the grip embrace the the taper.

Where my hands meet the grip is one of the puzzle pieces I was able to choose from my fitting. And I’m very thankful for it. One of the reasons I chose the shortest standard length option was because it put my hands on a larger section of the grip profile.

Had I gone one inch longer it would mean my hands start moving into the tapered section _or_ a change in my setup to the ball (ie - slightly raise the heel of the putter and stand closer/taller _or_ acquiesce to an adjusted eye position).

Edit: adjusting the lie angle in my specs could have solved the the heel up dilemma mentioned above but for me the hypothesis of this Armlock integration centers on whether it can be adopted without any unreasonable adjustment to my normal stroke tendencies and preferred setup.

• Like 5

Just a quick update to my progress, I'm still struggling to feel completely comfortable, and be consistent. Consistency is one of the main things I'd like this putter to give me and it hasn't yet, although I'm probably just being impatient. This putter is showing flashes of brilliance, and flashes of darkness. 🙂 For example, my round yesterday, I had 24 putts and putted lights out. Today, I had 37 putts (no, not a typo), and couldn't make anything outside 2 inches. It's a work in progress, but I am moving in the right direction. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, GB13 said:

Just a quick update to my progress, I'm still struggling to feel completely comfortable, and be consistent. Consistency is one of the main things I'd like this putter to give me and it hasn't yet, although I'm probably just being impatient. This putter is showing flashes of brilliance, and flashes of darkness. 🙂 For example, my round yesterday, I had 24 putts and putted lights out. Today, I had 37 putts (no, not a typo), and couldn't make anything outside 2 inches. It's a work in progress, but I am moving in the right direction. 

That's crazy!  I think we blame it on the pin locations and not the putter. 😉  It definitely seems to have a good learning curve when switching to these putters.  Keep up the hard work!  Looks like you're almost there!

• Like 2

Boys I am loving this so far! Really one of the products I was very interested in seeing the results with. It is great to hear the journey from having to get comfortable with such a different way to approach putting. I look forward  to seeing if any of you will completely adopt this style after the testing period!

• Like 2

Couple of other variations that I managed with my SS28 Armlock if those trialling are fiddlers. Just like to acknowledge @CarlH first and his comment that a goal could be to trial these putters 'off the shelf'.

1) Imitated DeChambeau with getting a thicker 17" grip and rotating it so the flat is testing against your forearm. I found a nice cheap Superstroke 1.3 17" to play with, feels a lot more comfortable. 

2) Counterweight. Ended up adding 40g of tungsten powder to the butt end. Felt had more control of the head when the CoG was about 1/4 of the way up. This was the #1 improvement for distance control. 

3) Swapped the shaft for a UST Frequency putter shaft that was lying around the local pro shop discarded. Had to cut it to maintain the dynamic loft. Felt much softer. 

• Like 3

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Daily Deals

• Sponsors

• Our Sponsors

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    JRG

• By Golfspy_CG2
      TESTERS WANTED (5)
      Clevleand Golf is making us rethink everything we've heard about center of gravity and MOI. Well at least when it comes to it's new line of Frontline putters.  For years we've been preached to that rear center of gravity leads to a higher MOI and both those things are a good for our game.   Hold onto your Super Size Putter grip, the Frontline model lineup features an array of putters that put the Center of Gravity front and center and as a result lowers the MOI. 
      One of the most astounding statements to this fact was made by Cleveland Golf's Marketing Director Brian Schieke,when he told our very own John Barba,  the forward CG technology in Frontline, once you understand it, can help golfers make a 15-foot putt at the same rate as they can make a 10-foot putt.”
      Well we are going to let five members test one of the Frontline Models and report the results int he form of a very extensive review back to our MGS community. 

How to Apply
      This is important, so please follow these instructions carefully:

1. If you haven't already, make sure you're a registered MyGolfSpy Forum member
      2. In this thread (and ONLY in this thread - please don't go back to the blog and apply - it won't do you any good!), tell us the following:

- Your first name
      - State
      - Your current model of putter
      - What would be your choice of the Frontline putters...select from the Cleveland Golf home page found here .....Frontline Putters left handed model available is the Elvado single bend style. 

This review opportunity is open to any golfer who resides in the US.  We'll be announcing the testers in this thread next week, so make sure to check back. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      LET'S GET THIS PUTTING PARTY STARTED !!  🎉
      Congrats to the following 5 testers:
      @txgolfjunkie
      @DaveP043
      @ChasingScratch
      @RexS
      @romeopapazulu

Official announcement here - https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/34640-testers-wanted-5-cleveland-golf-frontline-putters/?do=findComment&comment=576883

• By THEZIPR23
      Almost a total remodel of the bag.

Epic Flash SZ 10.5 set at -1 N Graphite Design Tour AD TSG Blue X (45")
      M3 15 set at -2 Paderson Fairway KG 860-F30 S
      Epic Flash SZ 18 set at S N Tensei AV Blue 70 X
       Z585 4 & 5 KBS C Taper S
       Z785 6-AW KBS C Taper S
       Glide Forged 56 KBS Hi Rev 2.0
       Glide Forged 60 KBS Hi Rev 2.0
       SS 28 CS 33"

Driver: Thank you MGS, flat out the best driver I have ever had in the bag.
      3W: A random purchase after being unable to hit the original epic 3w. Put same shaft that I was fit for in the epic and it has been a match made in heaven. Absolute money from the tee and I know exactly what it will do from the fairway. Combined with the driver there are not many par 5's that I can't reach. 
      5W: Solid club but this spot has always been a trouble spot in my bag and that hasn't changed in 20 years. 
      Irons: Love the combo and they feel absolutely amazing. All of them are 1* strong, standard lie and +1/2" Biggest thing I was looking for in making the change was more control. They definitely fly different than P790's but hopefully after an adjustment period they will meet or exceed my expectations. 
      Wedges: A different look from what I am used to but feel is amazing. The shaft on full swings is so easy for me to deliver correctly. 
      Putter: Not a fast revolving door but one that moves some. Have gotten used to the look of the center shaft but still struggling with alignment some. 
      Ball: Titleist PROV1X #23 imprinted with THEZIPR in blue. Have played this ball since its birth and while I have tried many other options nothing has been able to kick it out. 
      Rangefinder: Bushnell PRO X2 
      Glove: Footjoy Weathersof. Love the Ping tour glove but at the rate I go through gloves I just can't justify the price difference.
      Shoes: Ecco Biom G 3 BOA and Biom Hybrid 3 BOA. Most comfortable shoes I have ever worn. 

• By Kambeau
      Before I dive into my review, here is a background as to what made me switch putters :

In early August I started with an awesome putting coach. Before I started working with him I was missing everything and recently came off a tournament with two 4 putts in the round. As I’m beginning to enjoy and play tournament golf making putts was about to become really important to me. I used a Taylormade Spider Tour Red for about 9 months, but the look killed me. found it so irritatingly huge and wanted something a little slimmer. I then decided to switch to an OdysseyWorks #7 for 6 months. Was overall positive about it, but as my stroke got sloppy my confidence decreased and I pulled putts endlessly. I went into my first putting session with my Odyssey. By the end of it my stroke and set up were pretty pure. But I was still pulling putts. I aimed down my line and my coach looked from behind me, laughed and said “where are you aimed?” And I said “dead straight!” And he goes “nope your way open.” I set up again and wham. Same thing. We then found out that I am left eye right hand dominant or “Cross Dominant.” The double bend shaft style was causing me to aim left, when my eyes thought I was straight. Then he broke the news to me ... “yeah, uh, you need a new putter.” He then slapped a center shafted putter in my hands and I was dead on. The search for a new flatstick began. 

My review of the Bettinardi Studio Stock #28 :

I came away from my fitting with a Bettinardi Studio Stock 28 CS Slotback. My heart had wanted a Scotty Cameron for so long, I bought the marketing hype, and wanted to have one as a golf status symbol. But the results were over and over again showing that the Betti was a beast. The milling is masterful, the feel off the face is very very soft which suits my style. The look over the ball is simple and elegant. Plus the center shaft style has helped me greatly with my alignment. It’s similar to an ER2 in that it’s a blade style with some extra meat on the back which I like. It also gives the look of a blade with the forgiveness of a mallet. Overall very happy with this flat stick. Putting is now night and day compared to what it was. I will say, if I have to reach a little bit and find one flaw with it I wasn’t a fan at all of the standard grip, I use a SS Flatso 1.0 so the stock grip wasn’t my taste. But that’s my only gripe. I’ve now been converted to a huge Bettinardi Fan, and don’t see myself changing the flat stick for a long, long time. 

• By Golfspy_CG2
      CLEVELAND GOLF INTRODUCES FRONTLINE,
      A COMPLETELY NEW WAY TO DESIGN A PUTTER

HUNTINGTON BEACH, Calif. – Sept. 3, 2019 – Cleveland® Golf, where scoring matters, is proud to announce the release of Frontline. With a radical new weighting brings the center of gravity forward, Frontline provides a revolutionary process for engineering a putter. Frontline launches in North America on Sept. 13, 2019.

“We are very excited about Frontline because it is a completely new approach to putter design,” said Jacob Lambeth, Research and Development Engineer at Cleveland Golf. “By pairing an extreme center of gravity with an improved speed optimized face, we’ve designed a putter that uniquely maximizes directional and speed consistency. Combined with slick black cosmetics, great shapes and hosel options for different stroke types, Frontline really is the whole package.”

With Frontline, the challenge was creating a putter that’s powerful enough to counteract miss-hits and provide consistently straighter putts. The foundation of Frontline is Tungsten Forward Weighting, which places two Metal Injection Molded (MIM) tungsten weights in the face of the putter.

For decades, most mallets have weights in the rear of the putter to increase stability on off-center impacts, but this design places the center of gravity in the back of the putter. Frontline does the opposite, bringing the center of gravity forward for more accuracy on the greens.

Frontline features Cleveland’s Speed Optimized Face Technology (SOFT), which normalizes ball speed across the face for consistent distance performance on every putt. Every model in Frontline features an individualized SOFT pattern to help mitigate speed and distance loss, especially on off-center strikes.

Frontline offers three different mallet options that include Cleveland’s 2135 Technology to help with proper alignment when standing over that critical putt. Finally, Frontline offers two different hosel types to help provide a superior fit: single bend and slant neck. The single bend option is ideal for straight stroke types, while the slant neck option fits best for golfers with a slight arc stroke.

Key Innovations Inside Frontline:

·         Forward Weights: With Tungsten Forward Weighting and the center of gravity positioned closer to the face, Frontline provides better stability through impact for straighter, more accurate putts.
      ·         Speed Optimized Face Technology: Cleveland’s proprietary Speed Optimized Face Technology normalizes ball speed across the face, ensuring consistent distance performance on all your putts.
      ·         2135 Technology: Featured on the Elevado, Cero and Iso models, achieve perfect alignment on every putt, regardless of where your eyes are at address.
      ·         Additional Hosel Configurations: Find a superior fit with two different hosel configurations to suit every player’s stroke types.

Frontline comes standard with the Lamkin SINKFit Pistol Frontline grip and is available in 33”, 34”, and 35” length options. The Frontline 4.0 blade MAP is $179.99, while the three different mallet models (Elevado, Cero and Iso) MAP is $199.99. The Frontline Elevado, Cero and Iso feature single bend or slant neck hosel options.
      For more detailed information on Frontline, please visit: clevelandgolf.com.

• By jddaigneault
      I’m new to reviewing, but here goes. 
      I haven’t seen much about the Ardmore line, never mind the Ardmore 3. It is part of taylormades TP series, and absolutely is worth a look. I recently bought one of the black copper series, and it is awesome. 
      The look:
      It is a smaller, more compact version of a mallet. It reminds me a bit of the odyssey 7 series, but more its stubby awkward cousin. The flanges on the back look like they’d be for scooping a ball up, but this feature does not work very well. Most of the details come in the form of red accents, giving the putter a hot rod feel. The grip is a new superstroke pistol grip, with increased volume in the palm. It makes for a very relaxed hold on the club. 
      The biggest negative is the headcover. When will taylormade stop using Velcro? It’s a pain in the butt! Magnetic closure please!
      Performance:
      This club has 42 degrees of toe hang, so it is great for someone with an arcing putter stroke. It has some decent heft to it, so it feels controlled throughout the swing. The face is very responsive. My prior putter had a softer face, so it felt like I had to hit it harder than I thought based on the length of the putt and speed of the greens. This made lags very difficult to judge. The ball comes off the face of the Ardmore a lot hotter, which makes lag putts far more manageable. The only adjustment comes with downhill putts that are fairly short. It can be difficult to touch them light enough not to see them run way past the hole if your line is off. Speaking of line, the alignment aid is quite nice, making putts very easy to line up. It rolls them true, and I’ve seen my average putts per round go from about 37 with my old putter to 33 with the Ardmore. 
      No more blaming the flat stick for a bad round!
      If you’re someone who has a fairly pronounced arc in your stroke, and struggles with lag putts, I highly recommend this putter. You can’t beat the price either, coming in below the odyssey lines, and well below the spider!
  • Recent Topics

• Latest from the Blog

• Happy Birthday Today!