Golfspy_CG2

2019 Official Forum Member Review-Bettinardi Arm Lock Putter

So this weekends tournament round went terrible. I finished with 38 putts and lost by 1 shot. I have noticed a pattern in my misses thought short putts miss right and I pull long putts.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

So this weekends tournament round went terrible. I finished with 38 putts and lost by 1 shot. I have noticed a pattern in my misses though short putts miss right and I pull long putts. I also learned a valuable lesson you can’t just tap in 1ft putts without the shaft against your arm.

• Sad 2

16 hours ago, KCLeo12 said:

So this weekends tournament round went terrible. I finished with 38 putts and lost by 1 shot. I have noticed a pattern in my misses though short putts miss right and I pull long putts. I also learned a valuable lesson you can’t just tap in 1ft putts without the shaft against your arm.

I started to saddlestroke for short distances! 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, KCLeo12 said:

This whole game is a learning curve and just when you think you've worked it out it jumps up and bites you 😥

So what's the plan and what are you going to work on?

• Like 1

Just a quick update: The weather here has been really crappy, so I haven't been able to get out for a round recently, but I have continued putting inside, and have really been working on not taking the putter outside and leaving the face open. I'm loving the armlock feel so far, but I'm going to need to keep practicing to build a good stroke. At this point, I'm leaning toward keeping it in the bag, but I'm gonna need a lot more on-course time to say for sure. 

• Like 3

I've been curious based upon this tread so I gave this putter a try at my local PGA SS.  Initial thoughts were I really liked it!  I did notice the need to move the ball back in your stance, and it did feel awkward at first.  After a few strokes, I really started to get into a groove with it.  I can 100% understand need a while with it to get comfortable.  Even though I started to get a feel for it, I really had to concentrate on the stroke.

• Like 2

This whole game is a learning curve and just when you think you've worked it out it jumps up and bites you

So what's the plan and what are you going to work on?

Well my biggest tournament of the year next week I can’t have any uncertainty so it a pause until after that 4 day tournament.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, KCLeo12 said:

Well my biggest tournament of the year next week I can’t have any uncertainty so it a pause until after that 4 day tournament.

Good luck out there! Hope you kick a little b***!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KCLeo12 said:

Good luck bro! Go kick some A$$!! 

• Like 1

Just catching up on all these threads.  Great job on the stage one's!  I'm intrigued by this putter as I tend to break my wrists on putts.  Looking forward to your stage 2's!

MDGolfHacker

• Like 3

On 4/25/2019 at 9:30 PM, GB13 said:

I've not been able to get out for a round in the last few days, due to some atrocious weather, and it is supposed to snow here on Saturday. WTF?!? 

Anyway, I've still been practicing a decent amount inside, and I can say I'm getting quite comfortable with the armlock. I'm feeling like I can make a pretty consistent stroke, but whether I'm actually improving my putting remains to be seen. 

Does anyone have any questions? Or requests on how to test? 

How are the mishits on the toe and heel? Distance/directional loss?

MDGolfHacker

46 minutes ago, MDGolfHacker said:

How are the mishits on the toe and heel? Distance/directional loss?

MDGolfHacker

Mishits aren't bad, definately a little bit of speed loss, but the direction is still pretty good. I'd say the heel miss is much worse than a toe miss. You lose a lot more speed on the heel, where it's barely noticeable off the toe. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KCLeo12 said:

Good plan and good luck for the tournament 😁😎

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MDGolfHacker said:

Just catching up on all these threads.  Great job on the stage one's!  I'm intrigued by this putter as I tend to break my wrists on putts.  Looking forward to your stage 2's!

MDGolfHacker

Sorry I didn't see this earlier, if you are struggling with wrist break, the armlock will definately help. I suppose, if you got a cheaper armlock, it could make a great training aid even if you don't put it in play for the long run. 

• Like 1

Okay, we've finally got some decent weather, so I'm heading out tomorrow for a round. I'd say my goal is putts under 30, but it depends how many greens I hit. I'll just say that I want to make some good 5-10 footers. 

• Like 2

The weather was gorgeous and I had no work today, so me and the Betti spent a few hours of quality time together on the putting green. Yesterday’s session was pretty lackluster after the inclement weather layoff so I wanted to mix it up as much as possible today.

I dropped two fresh pearls on the moss and hit tons of long sweeping putts with some 3-6 footer cycles mixed in to break things up. I didn’t take any video or keep stats - just tried to pick a lot of fun putts. Some tendencies are beginning to surface but I’m saving the real juice for Stage 2.

However...

*Easter Egg - 3 hour putting session and my back isn’t the least bit sore

• Like 5

I'm a little confused about how to rate my round today. My gut says I putted well, with my mind going to the 2 -10 foot birdie putts I made and the 40 foot par putt. But on the flip side, I had 3 three putts and missed 2 five foot birdie putts. So I just don't know. I do think most of my misses were mis-reads, and I started the ball online most of the time. I did stand a little farther away from the ball, and that fixed my taking the putter outside the line. I'd say I putted pretty well, and am trending more toward keeping the Betti in the bag. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Sorry it's been a little bit since my last update. 😬 Anyway, I've had some additional practice time, and hopefully will get out for a round in the next few days. Now that I'm standing a little farther away from the ball, with my hands slightly lower, I'm getting a much better roll on the ball. As always, the Betti is a high quality putter and feels amazing. It's a fairly soft milled face but not mushy like an insert. At this point, unless something drastic changes the Betti will be with me for a while. 

Edited by GB13
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, GB13 said:

Sorry it's been a little bit since my last update. 😬 Anyway, I've had some additional practice time, and hopefully will get out for a round in the next few days. Now that I'm standing a little farther away from the ball, with my hands slightly lower, I'm getting a much better roll on the ball. As always, the Betti is a high quality putter and feels amazing. It's a fairly soft milled face but not mushy like an insert. At this point, unless something drastic changes the Betti will be with me for a while. 

Good to hear you love it. The putter is the most important club in the bag and yet it gets forgotten because it isn't as "sexy" as driver 😁😎

• Like 1

We had rain threatening most of today, so I found myself at the short game complex (typical) rather than out on the course. For an initial warmup I decided on a forced mix short game to get the Betti some pseudo-gamer reps and took some video for you guys.

I set up 2 fairly tough shots - 50 footer: 12-15 feet carry over the fringe (depending on shot rotation) to a downslope that runs away to the edge of the green and a 25 footer: 10 feet carry over the fringe to a spine that runs away through the hole and sends weak shots short right and warm shots long left. To make things a bit more difficult I have to disregard my preferred shot selection and hit a chip to each hole, then a flop shot, then a pitch shot - 2 rounds of this equals 12 total. Finally, I grab the SS38 Armlock and go through the same routine I would on the course until all are holed.

*Disclaimer - 8 minute video (skip to 4:00 for Armlock only viewing)

TLDW: chilly + windy = my hands felt like stone and I faced some serious footage in this first series of 12 (6 putts from 6-12 feet). Up & down stat line: 11/12 (with a cold start for the Betti - zero prior practice putts/strokes). The line on my sole miss (3rd from last) took me over a little furry spot the mower missed and shuttled the ball left almost immediately. It may have still missed just left but I think it would have at least hit some of the hole otherwise. And that’s the Easter Egg takeaway for those who read this far - cold, windy, no warmup, doesn’t matter - the misses keep getting smaller with this wand. That is all for now... unless anyone has questions.  

• Like 3