2019 Official Forum Member Review-Bettinardi Arm Lock Putter

Our Sponsors

UPDATE!! 

It’s been a tough stretch for me getting in golf so I apologize for not updating y’all more frequently, but I didn’t want to falsify anything. I’ve only had 4 rounds in the last 2 month which were, 81, 80, 76, 74. All of which were carried by superb iron play. I’ve really been struggling with the putter recently,  however I am putting on a different breed of grass than I traditionally play on. Is that the difference? I think it matters some, but I don’t think it’s the whole story. I’ve really been unable to get the ball started on my intended line, and my confidence from 3-4 feet has been reduced to zero. As of right now, my sample size is still fairly small, so before I go running off to Golf Galaxy to get a new putter, I’m gonna stick it out for a while, especially knowing what my Betti can do when it’s rolling the ball well. I should be playing more in the coming weeks, so keep an eye out for another update, hopefully with more info. 

• Like 4

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OFFICIAL MGS FORUM REVIEW -BETTINARDI STUDIO STOCK #38 ARMLOCK PUTTER  Stage 1 - Tester Introduction 4-15-2019 by GB13   I'd like to start off by thanking MGS and Bettinardi for the won

Stage One – Bettinardi SS38 Armlock - 4/15/19 My sincere thanks to MyGolfSpy and Bettinardi Golf for the opportunity to review this Armlock platform. Rather than bore you all over again wit

I want to first start off by thanking Bettinardi and MyGolfSpy for this opportunity to test this beautiful putter and this style that is rapidly gaining traction on tour.   Now let me tell you a litt

Posted Images

5 hours ago, GB13 said:

UPDATE!! 

It’s been a tough stretch for me getting in golf so I apologize for not updating y’all more frequently, but I didn’t want to falsify anything. I’ve only had 4 rounds in the last 2 month which were, 81, 80, 76, 74. All of which were carried by superb iron play. I’ve really been struggling with the putter recently,  however I am putting on a different breed of grass than I traditionally play on. Is that the difference? I think it matters some, but I don’t think it’s the whole story. I’ve really been unable to get the ball started on my intended line, and my confidence from 3-4 feet has been reduced to zero. As of right now, my sample size is still fairly small, so before I go running off to Golf Galaxy to get a new putter, I’m gonna stick it out for a while, especially knowing what my Betti can do when it’s rolling the ball well. I should be playing more in the coming weeks, so keep an eye out for another update, hopefully with more info. 

I know how that feels and it's a awful feeling while stepping up to those short ones and have ya scrotum tighten up! 😳

• Like 1

Callaway  Epic Flash 10.5 Driver
Callaway MAVRIK MAX 3 - wood
Callaway Big Bertha 2019  4 & 5 hybrid 
Tommy Armour 845 MAX 6 - GW Irons
Cleveland CBX 2 54 Degree SW
Cleveland CBX Full-Face Wedge 58 degree
Odyssey Triple Track 10 Putter 

• STUDque unpinned this topic
  • 2 months later...

Thread bump. Any of you guys still rocking this putter?  I had to give it up. It just wasn’t getting it done for me. Curious how others are faring?

• Like 1

:ping-small: G 400 driver with Aldila DVS 55-SR shaft (FAIRWAY FINDING MONSTER)

:taylormade-small: Aero Burner 16 degree mini driver regular flex

:callaway-logo-1: Rogue Heavenwood regular flex 

:Hogan: Icon/PTX Pro Combo Set.  VKTR hybrid.

:Hogan: Equalizer Wedges 50, 54, 58 degrees

:callaway-small:Odyssey Two Ball Triple Track Putter, 32 inches  

LAB Golf Directed Force 2.1 putter, 32 inches, 70 degree lie angle

Right Handed. 

16 minutes ago, joen said:

Thread bump. Any of you guys still rocking this putter?  I had to give it up. It just wasn’t getting it done for me. Curious how others are faring?

I haven’t struck a golf ball outside of my living room since October, so I cannot claim to be rocking anything. Nonetheless, the Bettinardi is currently leaning against the wall, alongside two Nike Method putters (one of which is set up as another armlock). I practice the stroke with all of them, everyday.

If I needed to post a score today, I’d absolutely bag the SS38. But I really like how the black double-wide B1/01 blade swings and looks at address. And if I’m ever able to play golf on grass again, I’m hopeful it will prove to be something special. For now, the Betti still gets the nod.

#TeamArmLock (quarantine edition)

• Like 6

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

1 hour ago, joen said:

I’m still rocking it. It got benched for an old Odyssey White Hot #1 for a few rounds last year, but after reviewing my putting in each round, the armlock was still way better. I really believe my struggles with the putter come from green reading inadequacies. When I make the proper read on putts, I am pretty confident I’ll make a good stroke and scare the hole. 

So, yes I’m still rocking it, no, my putting still isn’t where it should be, but it’s mainly due to green reading, not my actual stroke. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, GB13 said:

I’m still rocking it. It got benched for an old Odyssey White Hot #1 for a few rounds last year, but after reviewing my putting in each round, the armlock was still way better. I really believe my struggles with the putter come from green reading inadequacies. When I make the proper read on putts, I am pretty confident I’ll make a good stroke and scare the hole. 

So, yes I’m still rocking it, no, my putting still isn’t where it should be, but it’s mainly due to green reading, not my actual stroke. 

Have you tried Aimpoint Express?  Helped me immensely with green reading. I know some people can just read a green by looking at it. I am not one of those people. 

• Like 2

:ping-small: G 400 driver with Aldila DVS 55-SR shaft (FAIRWAY FINDING MONSTER)

:taylormade-small: Aero Burner 16 degree mini driver regular flex

:callaway-logo-1: Rogue Heavenwood regular flex 

:Hogan: Icon/PTX Pro Combo Set.  VKTR hybrid.

:Hogan: Equalizer Wedges 50, 54, 58 degrees

:callaway-small:Odyssey Two Ball Triple Track Putter, 32 inches  

LAB Golf Directed Force 2.1 putter, 32 inches, 70 degree lie angle

Right Handed. 

9 hours ago, joen said:

Mine's benched.  I still like to pull it out now and then and take it to the practice greens.  Helps me groove the rocking of the shoulders for the stroke and minimize my arm/hand use.  I tend to struggle with longer putts with the armlock putter.  If I could carry 2 putters (have to figure out which club to pull from my bag), I would use it for shorter putts and my standard putter on longer ones.

• Like 5

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree Alta CB55 Stiff shaft 

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: M4 3W (16.5*), 5W (21*), 7W (24*), Atmos shaft R

Irons: :callaway-small:Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW KBS Tour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX-2 52*, 56*, 60* wedges.  Stock shafts.

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

8 hours ago, joen said:

Have you tried Aimpoint Express?  Helped me immensely with green reading. I know some people can just read a green by looking at it. I am not one of those people. 

I haven’t, it would be worth looking into. I’ve seen people using it and doing quite well with it, and given the current state of my green reading, I’ll try almost anything. 😆

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Well, I just saw Norlander using an armlock method at the AT&T, so I searched for this thread. The last posts were a year ago, so curious as to how many of the testers used these putters throughout this past golf season???

Thanks!

• Like 1

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

Fwy: 

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4/5, Tour V 6-10, Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

1 hour ago, PMookie said:

Well, I just saw Norlander using an armlock method at the AT&T, so I searched for this thread. The last posts were a year ago, so curious as to how many of the testers used these putters throughout this past golf season???

Thanks!

The SS38 Armlock still has a spot in my bag, albeit splitting some time with a super stealth mode Bobby Grace NYC Tour.

Inside 10 feet the Armlock is fantastic but pace control leaves something to be desired on longer putts. The plan is to take some length out of it (from 40” down to 38.5”) and wrap the chrome shaft in matte black heat shrink, once I’ve determined an appropriate grip for the experiment.

Re: Norlander - I can barely watch him roll that wide split left-hand-low grip. Feels absolutely awful when I’ve tried that setup.

Full disclosure, I have a real soft spot for Bobby Grace mallets and love the feel/look of my NYC Tour, but the Armlock has the edge on paper. I just wish longer putts were getting more good looks with the SS38. Hopefully the setup change I have planned will help.

• Like 2

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

22 minutes ago, downlowkey said:

The SS38 Armlock still has a spot in my bag, albeit splitting some time with a super stealth mode Bobby Grace NYC Tour.

Inside 10 feet the Armlock is fantastic but pace control leaves something to be desired on longer putts. The plan is to take some length out of it (from 40” down to 38.5”) and wrap the chrome shaft in matte black heat shrink, once I’ve determined an appropriate grip for the experiment.

Re: Norlander - I can barely watch him roll that wide split left-hand-low grip. Feels absolutely awful when I’ve tried that setup.

Full disclosure, I have a real soft spot for Bobby Grace mallets and love the feel/look of my NYC Tour, but the Armlock has the edge on paper. I just wish longer putts were getting more good looks with the SS38. Hopefully the setup change I have planned will help.

Thanks for the update. A buddy has gone this route and loves it. I couldn’t even hold the thing the right way. Feels so odd.

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

Fwy: 

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4/5, Tour V 6-10, Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0