TESTERS WANTED! ×

PAGolfer2017's Search for a Swing

JLukes Swing Overhaul thread started me thinking on my game and figured a thread would be fun to start. My swing looks nothing like JLukes, nor does it go as far, but I've started this year off with a few lessons trying to nail down a consistent swing and figured it'd be fun to throw them in a  thread. Not an original idea by any stretch, but thanks to JLukes for the idea!

Background:

Little bit of background about me. I'm 30 and live in Central Pennsylvania just outside of Hershey, PA. Wasn't one that grew up involved in golf, nor did I have anyone, with the exception of my cousin, who was really into golf. I'd go to the range, and play putt-putt (I was the king of putt putt!) but that was it. Nine years ago, after my wife and I got married, I woke up one day and while eating breakfast, I told her I wanted golf clubs. After a little bit of a discussion....and a whole lot of persuading.....I purchased my first set of Adams RPM2 irons, and with some hand me downs, I had a set.

After that I was hooked, ranging from the game of golf itself, to the equipment. I'm one to buy and trade a lot of equipment (GC2 and I once traded drivers in a Golf Galaxy parking lot...) and I have had a handful of lessons, but this year was the first year I set myself to trusting the process of building a swing.

I ended last year with a handicap around 12 at my home course, with my USGA app showing around a 15 with all the rounds from various courses. I'm not a long hitter. My driver swing speed hovers between 88-94, but I'm super competitive and hate losing, which has slowly built the desire to find ways to improve. As springtime started to roll around, I decided to search for an instructor.

Lesson:

Searched around and found an instructor at Royal Manchester Golf Links, which is part of the Raspberry Golf Trail. Emailed back and forth, then signed up for a swing evaluation and off I went.

Arrived not really knowing what to expect. We talked for a bit, then my swing evaluation started. My swing has always been funny. Many who watch me say I have a Furyk type move at the top. I've always had a slow methodical takeaway, and I also tend to over rotate my lower body, and have a hard time separating my lower body and upper body. My first move with my hands is usually way inside, which then leads to a whole lot of problems.

He hooked me up to a K-vest, which had sensors around the waist, write and upper body. He calibrated the system and off we went. Hit a few shots and looked at some of the data. 

1051473790_Untitledpresentation.jpg.1e83056379fabde2ecb5daf36464ce21.jpg

Pretty much what we found was a whole lot of red. For those unfamiliar with K-Vest, anything red is bad, and green means you're in the target range. My posture and rotation were awful, which lead to a lot of swaying and flipping. We picked two things to work on, both that related to my takeaway, with the focus of not collapsing my left knee. As you'll see in pictures below, my left knee would collapse and my hands would flip inside, which lead to a huge over the top and poor weight transfer. The neat thing about the K-Vest is, as you practice, when you hit your target range for, in my case, takeaway and rotation, you hear music letting you know you're in the correct position. For a numbers geek like me, I thought that was pretty cool. We spent a good time on takeaway, posture and position at the top, which based on the before and afters below did a world of difference. 

IMG_5098.thumb.JPG.62399a625885eb2be740ebf6a6b13dab.JPGIMG_5099.thumb.JPG.90389835dd1a982e15630fdabc0735c6.JPG

We spent a good portion of time on the takeaway and positioning at the top. We'd do some drills where we'd do the takeaway, then go to the top of the backswing, pause, then swing. Then we worked on getting to that position quickly, trying to achieve a 3:2 ratio for my swing. It feels like I hardly rotate, and even then sometimes I still over rotate, but my swing feels a lot more in control than it has in the past. I still have a bit of an over the top, but hopefully next lesson we'll work on that. I feel like i'm making better contact, and my swing definitely feels better, but as with anything, it feels weird.

By the time we were done, we ran a few more shots with the K-vest. Don't have that report yet to post, but once I do I'll throw it up, but posture and rotation were miles better than they were before. Not as closed and slowly getting to more green numbers. Once I get the I"ll screenshot them and add them to the post. I will say that the K-vest is pretty sweet and I absolutely loved it. Up until this point, all of the lessons that I had never involved technology. They were at a range with an instructor with them telling me what to focus on and do. I've always loved data and technology, and absolutely loved having something like a K-vest as a tool. I know it's not necessarily for everyone, but being able to see numbers and hear feedback when I was in my target range helped a lot.

Have a few rounds coming up in the next few days so we'll see how it translates to the course!

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: 4.5LS

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 9* w/ Aldila Red 60

Fairway: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* w/ Diamana 70

Fairway: :callaway-small: GBB Heavenwood 19* w/ Fujikura Pro 72

Irons: :taylormade-small: p790 4-PW w/ C-Taper Lite 110s

Wedge: :taylormade-small: MG3 50 & 54

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 60*

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider X

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX

Never heard of the k vest before. Sounds interesting but I’m guessing I would see a lot of red too!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

2 minutes ago, blackngold_blood said:

Never heard of the k vest before. Sounds interesting but I’m guessing I would see a lot of red too!

I never had either, but it's interesting. You take a few swings, and it measures those 6 areas, then you can pick/choose which of those areas to focus one. Since I had issues with my takeaway and rotation, thats' what we focused on. By the end, my posture at address was in the green, as was my upper body rotation. When I tell myself to "under rotate" on my backswing, I hit my marks, which then allowed my pelvis rotation to be in the target range. When I would over rotate, that then would impact pelvis rotation and thats when I would really get over the top. Overall it was interesting. Allowed me to understand how certain areas impact others in the golf swing.

So I’ve had a week of golf. 18 holes on Monday, 9 on Wednesday, then 18 on Thursday and another 18 on Friday.

It’s funny how your swing feels different each day. Monday and a Wednesday I struggled with my driver but hit my irons better than I have in years. Thursday I just downright struggled and Friday I hit my driver well but couldn’t hit my irons to save my life.

Things I’ve worked on though include:
-not over rotating
-lag in my golf swing
-not coming over the top

Once I get home I’ll have to post some videos of my swing but it definitely was an interesting week of golf.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

I am a huge fan of these threads, and look forward to continuing to read updates on your progress this season.

I love the K-Vest numbers. Looking forward to your posts with updated numbers and video!

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

• 2 weeks later...

Life's been a bit crazy with work and potential job searching but got my updated K-Vest report from my last lesson.

797749786_K-Vest2.jpg.8a81107be68016a64c96520c8bf2a700.jpg

Huge improvements from my first session, specifically with the posture at address. Still have issues with rotation. I think part of that may be because of my lack of flexibility, but the more I review these from session to session, the more I really enjoy the data that the K-Vest gives me. 

Two areas that I've been focusing on is upper body rotation. We've really worked on making it feel like i'm understating, which last session I was consistently hitting 80* or less, which as the session went on helped improve my pelvis rotation.

The other area that I've worked on is my swing tempo, really focusing on a 3:1 or 2:1 ration in terms of my backswing/downswing. It's been a few weeks since my lesson, but if I remember correctly, my backswing was around 0.8/0.9 seconds, and my full swing from takeaway to follow through hovered around 1.2/1.3.

I've always felt like I was a "slow/methodical" swinger, but never realized how bad it was until I saw it on video (sidenote...it's amazing how your "perception" of something is very different from "reality"). 

We spent time working on my takeaway being "faster" focusing on getting the club back and through in a timely manner. The more I practice, the more I think it'll become second nature, but thats' something that'd definitely taken some getting used to.

Trying to get my videos from the lesson but for some reason we're having issues getting them from V1. I'll have to record some of my practice session swings when I'm in the garage and post them later.

I will say as much as I love the K-vest, it's the type of lesson that you really need to do consistently. For someone like me who likes numbers and visuals and understanding how the golf swing works, it's awesome, but it is definitely priced higher than other lessons I've taken, which makes it hard to go to lessons as consistently as you should.

Got a round planned this weekend at my local course so we'll see how it transitions!

Stay tuned!

Has the changes in posture led to an increase in swing speed? I've found doing the Superspeed that a bit more bend at the waste gives me a little more power.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Honesty at this point I couldn’t tell you. I believe it’s given me better ball striking and consistency, but I still have a bit of an over the top that leads to loss in speed.

I believe in the end I’ll see consistent gain in speed because every now and then I get a string where I see distance gains and my swing just feels really good. Definitely feel like my swing is more consistent and that I believe stems from posture, but I think the other areas that you see red are areas that I need to improve that may help with swing speed.

I’ll definitely keep an eye on it and update as it goes on. Like I said in the post before. If I could do a K-vest session every week I’d do it in a heartbeat....but then my wife might kill me haha.

Looks like some more help in this quest will soon be on the way to you!  I'm very excited for you!

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

19 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Looks like some more help in this quest will soon be on the way to you!  I'm very excited for you!

Can't even begin to tell you how excited I am for the opportunity. Spent most of the workday thinking about it!

• 3 weeks later...

Been a rough few weeks of work, so my time out playing/practicing has definitely been limited but got out for a quick round in the am. Wow does my swing feel like garbage. Still managed to shoot a 40 on the back 9, but my driver seems to be going anywhere from 190-230. Also feel like I've lost some speed from last year too. Off to a lesson in a few. Will check back and post some thoughts and videos after!

• 1 month later...

Had some time today while the munchkins took a nap and got the Skytrak setup out for today and figured I'd do a bit of gap testing. It's been a bit of a busy summer, so I haven't gotten out as much as I"d like to, but hopefully with the skytrak up in the garage now, I'll get a lot more swings in over the next few weeks. 

Prior to this, the max distances I had in my head for each club were:

60* - 90

56* - 100

GW - 115

PW - 125

9 - 135

8 -145

7-155

6-165

5-175

4 hyb - 190

3 hyb - 205

3 wood - 215

Driver - 230

The Results are below. 5 shots with each club, and like I said before, didn't find the center of the club face as often as I"d have liked.

IMG_0353.jpg.e14952cc74af98da18df542ed6672ec2.jpg

IMG_0354.jpg.58d381159f30528a80df70658ccc7c28.jpg

Today was hot in the garage, so when you look at the top of my bag you'll notice a few....uhm....issues, but overall today gave me a lot of things to think about.

I'm always someone who has a hard time finding the center of the club face. I have impact tape I used for all my irons, and when I got done with 5 shots for each, the majority of the time it looked like someone took black sharpie and colored the entire pice of tape.

I will say that I got a glimpse of what could be if I learn to hit the center of the club face more consistently. Below is a picture of a 9 iron which is usually my 135/140 club. 

IMG_5661.thumb.JPG.7f370d0009947316d71f403ea34023b0.JPGMight spend some more time tonight with some of my irons, but despite not swinging a club for a week, I was overall happy with what I did. Stay tuned!

• 2 weeks later...

Just found your posts, great information - thanks for sharing.  How did you like your lessons at Royal Manchester?  I actually live near there and use their practice facilities several times a month.  I’ve been thinking about getting some lessons again and wondering if you thought it was worth it?

WITB:

Driver:  Callaway Big Bertha Fusion

Fairway:  Cobra F6 Baffler 4/5

Hybrids:  Cobra F7 (3/4);  Cobra F8 (5)

Irons:  Cobra F7 OL 6-GW

Wedge:  Cleveland CBX 54*/58*

Putter:  Odyssey Dual Force 2

• 10 months later...
Just found your posts, great information - thanks for sharing.  How did you like your lessons at Royal Manchester?  I actually live near there and use their practice facilities several times a month.  I’ve been thinking about getting some lessons again and wondering if you thought it was worth it?

So apologies on this being over a year late in responding. I enjoyed them but they’re definitely pricey. For a lesson with kvest it runs around $125 per lesson. I do enjoy working with Jaime Gylan there. He keeps it simple and for me the ability to use the kvest is great but if you don’t keep up with it it’s tough.

Often times what happens is the first lesson he puts you through an assessment and then you work on various things. So one lesson may focus on hip turn and another might focus on tempo so if you’re someone like me who doesn’t have that consistent swing....then the kvest should in theory, over time, help you build one. But in order to do that you almost need to commit to multiple lessons. I found it beneficial but what kept me from going back numerous times was the price.