TESTERS WANTED! ×

Taylormade “Original One” Driver

Shankster

Right from the webpage. I love it! Wish they’d offer an all black M6.

CELEBRATING COMPANY’S 40TH ANNIVERSARY, TAYLORMADE GOLF COMPANY INTRODUCES ORIGINAL ONE MINI DRIVER

Drawing on Inspiration from Company’s First Metalwoods, New Model Incorporates Many of Company’s Most Iconic Product Innovations in a Mini Driver for the Modern Generation

CARLSBAD, CALIF. (April 16, 2019) – TaylorMade Golf Company, an industry leader in product innovation and technology, today announced Original One Mini Driver, a new metalwood that pays homage to the brand’s storied history and utilizes many of the most important product technologies in the company’s long lineage of industry-leading metalwood performance.

309442 osn08947 829083 large 1555351314

“In 1979, golf was changed forever with the introduction of the Pittsburgh Persimmon - the original metalwood. For the past 40 years, TaylorMade has continued that legacy of innovation with game-changing technologies, engineered to help golfers perform at their best. The Original One Mini Driver incorporates that heritage of innovation with key performance technologies, packed into a confidence-inspiring shape that delivers on distance, forgiveness and accuracy.”

Tomo Bystedt, Senior Director, Product Creation

EVOLUTION OF THE MINI DRIVER

TaylorMade first entered the category with the introduction of SLDR Mini in 2014 and enhanced the product the following year with the faster, higher-launching AeroBurner Mini – both utilizing predominantly steel in their construction. While both offered the company’s Speed Pocket technology, Original One Mini Driver is designed to deliver a new level of speed, forgiveness and visual appeal never-before seen in this category.

309443 osn08919 7076eb large 1555351314

UNDER THE HOOD OF THE ORIGINAL ONE MINI DRIVER

With Original One Mini Driver, engineers have utilized key product technologies found in many of the company’s most notable metalwood offerings intended to deliver a faster, more forgiving and adjustable product. It all starts with a revolutionary tri-material construction, comprised of a titanium body, 50g steel sole plate and TaylorMade’s instantly-recognizable carbon composite crown. The combination of these three materials creates an ultra-low CG for distance and playability.

309440 osn08890 667e63 large 1555351313

Additional features in Original One Mini include:

Loft Sleeve with ±2° loft adjustability

Twist Face Technology to provide the ultimate path to straight distance

Inverted Cone Technology to promote ball speed on off-center hits

WHO IS ORIGINAL ONE MINI DRIVER FOR?

Like its predecessors, the Original One Mini Driver is targeted at golfers of all skill levels. It has been engineered to provide an option off the tee that delivers the accuracy and control of a fairway wood but with more distance and forgiveness. Faster swing speed players may additionally benefit from ease of use off the turf with Original One Mini Drivers’ combination of a medium face depth with ultra-low center of gravity location for extreme distance and excellent playability from fairway lies.

309441 osn08995 bf339e large 1555351314

WHERE THE MINI DRIVER FITS INTO THE BAG

From a performance perspective, the Original One Mini Driver with its 275cc head (9% larger than AeroBurner Mini) will fit directly between a driver and a fairway wood. Some golfers will opt to play the club in addition to their current fairway woods, while others may choose to replace a longer fairway wood that was mainly being used off the tee. Most golfers will still keep the regular driver in the bag as the club that ultimately delivers the most distance.

SPECIFICATIONS, PRICING & AVAILABILITY

Available for preorder starting today, April 16 and at retail beginning May 1, the Original One Mini Driver ($399.99 USD) will be offered in 11.5° or 13.5° lofts and come equipped with Mitsubishi’s Diamana F Limited shafts in 55g ®, 65g (S) or 75g (X) flexes at 43.75” at a D3 swing weight. The stock grip is Golf Pride MCC Decade grips in black & blood orange. The Original One Mini Driver will also be available through TaylorMade’s custom program, allowing for numerous additional custom shaft and grip options.

For more information on Original One Mini Driver and/or to request additional assets for editorial, contact the TaylorMade communications team.

• 2 months later...

I'm curious to see a test between the new mini and the old mini's. I include in this the Callaway Bertha 1.5 mini driver. 

I currently play the Taylormade Aeroburner mini 12° with an X-Stiff shaft. I use it as a driver replacement, because it is more controllable and I am only giving up about 20 yard in total distance.

Driver:  default_taylormade-small.jpg Original One Mini Driver 11.5° (Diamana F 64g S-Flex)

3-Wood: default_taylormade-small.jpg RBZ 2 Tour 14.5°

3-Iron:  :nike-small: Forged Pro Combo (2006) 

4-PW, SW: default_callaway-small.jpgSteelhead XR 16

54° & 58°:default_titelist-small.jpg Vokey Wedges

Putter:   Image result for yes putter logo Callie

A few weeks ago I tried a new Mini 12-degree with a stock stiff shaft and compared it to my M2 3HL Tour with a shaft I was fitted for.  

The new Mini 12 was only about 10 yards farther than my 3HL but I could easily tell that the stock shaft was not for me.  

For the past 3-4 years I've been using a 12-degree Mini Driver (first the original, then the Aeroburner TP Mini) and of the three, I prefer the Aeroburner Mini.  I had confidence to hit the Aeroburner TP Mini off the deck but looking down at the new Mini --- I just didn't have it. 

I do like the fact though that the new one has an adjustable hosel.   

In hindsight, what I should have done was swap my driver shaft into the new Mini 12 .  That would have given me a more accurate judge of how it would have worked for me. 

• 5 weeks later...

just hit it!! you'll be hooked lol... I'll be the first to say I never saw the point of a mini driver, but after hitting it ill never take it out. I went with the 13.5 degree and its a very penetrating launch and low spinning head. This is much more controllable than the driver and for me its only 10 yds shorter on avg,

Spin wise I'm able to keep it consistently under 2600 and the ball just cuts through the air. Shorter par 4's or if I have to hit a fairway im taking this out every time. Ive never had much use for a 3 wood (and I dropped my driving iron) so this fits perfectly for me. I'm able to hit this off the deck but its certainly harder to do so vs a 3 wood... but again I doubt I will ever need to use this from a fairway

TM M5 9* LA Golf Ozik Black Tie 6x

TM M6 15* LA Golf Ozik Black Tie 7x

Callaway Epic Forged 4i Aerotech Steelfiber FC115

Mizuno MP 20MMC 4 - PW Aerotech Steelfiber FC115

TM Milled Grind 2 50*, 54* UST Recoil Prototype 125

TM Bigfoot 58* UST Recoil Wedge Prototype 125

Bettinardi Queen Bee #6

It’s a great option off the tee for when the driver gets wonky or as a second driver option for those who struggle with woods.

I have the 11.5 playing at 45”. My driver has been good most days so unless I need to avoid going into hazard or running out of fairway this hasn’t been used much 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

They sure look pretty sweet.  I came close to buying a gently used one off the shelf last week.  Had it been an 11.5, I probably would have.

• PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5* - Graphite Design Tour AD-HD 7 TX
  • TaylorMade M6 15* - PX HZRDUS Green 80 TX
  • Titleist 913 Fd 18* - MCA KuroKage XMS 90 X /// OR /// Callaway XForged UT 20* - Aldila Rogue Black 105 TX
  • Srixon Z745 4-P - PX LZ 7.0
  • Vokey SM7 49F / 53F / 58K - DG TI S400
  • Odyssey Black #3 34”
  • Titleist AVX

• 7 months later...

Got my mini driver last week.  Spent a little time on the range.  It is replacing a 2017 M2 D-type.  I tend to play a fade/slice depending on if I eat chicken wings for dinner the night before playing or not.  Right off the bat I was hitting this new mini straight as an arrow.  I am guessing because it is more efficient of a club for me to hit I was getting same distance as my M2.  Center of the fairway drives will be welcome anytime I play.  Hoping to see 10 or so more yards than at the range once I can hit some real balls and not the range garbage we have.

Taylormade Original One Mini, 13.4 deg, Reg Shaft

Taylormade Sim Draw 5-Wood

Taylormade M4 4-Hybrid

Taylormade P790 Irons (5i-AW)

Cleveland 3.0 C Wedge

Cleveland CBX2 54 Deg

Cleveland 3.0 S Wedge

Odyssey EXO Indianapolis Putter

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Does anyone know if the tips on the OG Mini are TM standard (for current models) or do they take a special tip?  Trying to figure out what shaft options I have if I buy a shaft that already had an adapter on it. Thanks. 

:wilson_staff_small: :taylormade-small: :callaway-small:                    

PXG 0211 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik 21* 7W
Taylormade RSi1 5 Iron
Taylormade RSi2 6-PW
Taylormade PSI 50*
Callaway Jaws 54* C Grind
Wilson Staff Infinite Southside
Maxfli Tour

2 hours ago, SmoothG said:

Does anyone know if the tips on the OG Mini are TM standard (for current models) or do they take a special tip?  Trying to figure out what shaft options I have if I buy a shaft that already had an adapter on it. Thanks. 

They are the standard TM tip. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Have to give TaylorMade their due.  There was complaining when they changed from the R9/R11/RBZ tip.  Read a few comments that they would make that a trend, but they've stuck with it.  Everything from the R1 and Stage 2 forward uses the same adapter.  

I only have one driver with that tip, so my comments aren't self-interest related.  🙂

That said, I wouldn't mind scoring an Original One in 11.5*.  I've passed a couple times this season, regretting it...

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

• 2 weeks later...

And I've managed to find an Original One, from 2nd Swing.  Live fairly close, it's already here.

Plugging an RIP Alpha 80 in it for starters, have a BiMatrix Proto I'd used in a 3w that I might try in it also.  Have an unused adapter and a few shafts lying around, I may experiment a bit.  🙂

Thankfully, the weather is turning to the good after the 7 inches of snow we got a week and a half ago, and courses are reopening.  Set to play three or four times next week, so I'll get a chance to try it.

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

Curious to know how you make out. Getting a mini driver has certainly crossed my mind more than once based on my tee struggles with the big stick that never seem to go away.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I put a 661 Sppeder in my TM Mini.  Weather sucks right now but looking better next week to test it out. It's prob 1/2 in longer than I'd prefer but gonna test it before cutting it down.

PXG 0211 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik 21* 7W
Taylormade RSi1 5 Iron
Taylormade RSi2 6-PW
Taylormade PSI 50*
Maxfli Tour

Compared to the usual 2020 golfer experimenting with a smaller driver, I have something of an advantage...

It's not unusual for me to spend a fair part of time playing persimmon/laminate woods.  I started 2020 with Orlimar persimmons, stuck with them for a couple months, before my inner tinkerer got to me.  😉   I also have spent considerable time in the last couple seasons messing around with my old sub-300cc drivers, just for the heck of it.  

Add to that my preference for shorter driver and fairway wood lengths.  That doesn't hurt, LOL.  My drivers are largely 43.5" already, and I don't shy away from playing driver at 43".  My King LTD 3w is 42".

Point of all that is that I won't have the same adjustment period others might have, swinging the smaller club.  I hope.   

I guess we'll see, right?  🙂

Edited by NRJyzr

23 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

Compared to the usual 2020 golfer experimenting with a smaller driver, I have something of an advantage...

It's not unusual for me to spend a fair part of time playing persimmon/laminate woods.  I started 2020 with Orlimar persimmons, stuck with them for a couple months, before my inner tinkerer got to me.  😉   I also have spent considerable time in the last couple seasons messing around with my old sub-300cc drivers, just for the heck of it.  

Add to that my preference for shorter driver and fairway wood lengths.  That doesn't hurt, LOL.  My drivers are largely 43.5" already, and I don't shy away from playing driver at 43".  My King LTD 3w is 42".

Point of all that is that I won't have the same adjustment period others might have, swinging the smaller club.  I hope.   

I guess we'll see, right?  🙂

I quit playing golf in 2003 I think. Right before the explosion of driver heads.  Got back into it 2014... I was disgusted at the way drivers looked.  I’m still not used to it.  My last driver was an Adams Tight Lies... tiny little thing.

48 minutes ago, Shankster said:

I quit playing golf in 2003 I think. Right before the explosion of driver heads.  Got back into it 2014... I was disgusted at the way drivers looked.  I’m still not used to it.  My last driver was an Adams Tight Lies... tiny little thing.

I agree with this. I never quit the game but in the early 2000 I had the TM Super Steel with the bubble shaft and I never got on with the bigger head sizes that came later on. 

PXG 0211 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik 21* 7W
Taylormade RSi1 5 Iron
Taylormade RSi2 6-PW
Taylormade PSI 50*
Maxfli Tour

Original One update....

Played Tuesday and Thursday, used the OO the entire round both days.  Even hit it on a couple holes I wouldn't normally hit driver on.  It was cool, bit windy, and I hadn't played in two and a half weeks, so there was a bit of rust going on.  Flared a couple drives early in round one, pulled a couple later.  Interestingly, I didn't actually hit any real hooks Tuesday, and only one Thursday; aside from that hook, only my first two flared shots showed much lateral movement.  

Distance on the good hits was my usual distance.  Even managed to crawl past the crest of the hill on the uphill par 4 7th hole, which is generally considered a healthy poke for yours truly.

Overall, I'm counting it a success, and will continue with this as my primary tee club.  I'm not as pleased with the RIP shaft I'm using in it.  It behaved better for me in my second round, have to avoid overswinging with it; the feel is a little different for me.  Toying with setting up something else, maybe cutting down the Tour Trac 100 I assembled to use with my SLDR.  Hmmm, sounds like a plan.

Re: loft...  I did set this as low as I could go, 10*; a 1.5* adapter on my RIP 80 shaft.  No problem for me using it at that loft, but as a caveat, I've always been something of a higher spin player off the tee.  Lucky me.  If I were to use the Duo Professional ball (instead of the TP5 I was using yesterday), I might have to play this closer to the 11.5* spec loft.

Edited by NRJyzr

I don't understand the appeal of the Mini One?  After reading about it on forums, I purchased one and tried it out.  I had two different shafts available to give it a proper test.  I found the Mini One to be no straighter or any more accurate than my normal driver.  However, the bigger issue is the Mini One was Much shorter in distance.  I got shorter distance and no improvement in dispersion.

8 minutes ago, Mmac said:

I don't understand the appeal of the Mini One?  After reading about it on forums, I purchased one and tried it out.  I had two different shafts available to give it a proper test.  I found the Mini One to be no straighter or any more accurate than my normal driver.  However, the bigger issue is the Mini One was Much shorter in distance.  I got shorter distance and no improvement in dispersion.

It's for those of us who are less enamored with the oversized drivers of today.  Or such is how I've come to using it.  

On 11/7/2020 at 12:44 AM, NRJyzr said:

Original One update....

Played Tuesday and Thursday, used the OO the entire round both days.  Even hit it on a couple holes I wouldn't normally hit driver on.  It was cool, bit windy, and I hadn't played in two and a half weeks, so there was a bit of rust going on.  Flared a couple drives early in round one, pulled a couple later.  Interestingly, I didn't actually hit any real hooks Tuesday, and only one Thursday; aside from that hook, only my first two flared shots showed much lateral movement.  

Distance on the good hits was my usual distance.  Even managed to crawl past the crest of the hill on the uphill par 4 7th hole, which is generally considered a healthy poke for yours truly.

Overall, I'm counting it a success, and will continue with this as my primary tee club.  I'm not as pleased with the RIP shaft I'm using in it.  It behaved better for me in my second round, have to avoid overswinging with it; the feel is a little different for me.  Toying with setting up something else, maybe cutting down the Tour Trac 100 I assembled to use with my SLDR.  Hmmm, sounds like a plan.

Re: loft...  I did set this as low as I could go, 10*; a 1.5* adapter on my RIP 80 shaft.  No problem for me using it at that loft, but as a caveat, I've always been something of a higher spin player off the tee.  Lucky me.  If I were to use the Duo Professional ball (instead of the TP5 I was using yesterday), I might have to play this closer to the 11.5* spec loft.

After my classic challenge round, I put this back in my bag.  I had a less than stellar round, made a handful of bad swings, compounded by playing in 20 mph winds. 

Funny how "wind is blowing, let's swing harder" doesn't actually work.  Who'd have thought?

Counting it very much as a success, and I'm keeping it in the bag.  I had a couple toed shots that behaved exactly as you'd expect with a persimmon, a draw that starts right and finishes in the fairway.  Twist Face seemed to be doing its job well.

Overall distance is quite lovely.  Hit a couple bombs with help of the wind, but even aside from that, over the three rounds I hit the OO, I'm getting good roll, good carry,  good overall distance.  I'm able to play this just fine at its lowest loft.  

I haven't tried hitting this off the deck.  I had an opportunity or two on par 5s into the wind, but didn't think of it, possibly because I'm only thinking of this as a driver, not a combo club.

I haven't done shaft experimentation yet.  I took only one swing with the BiDominatrix, wish I'd given it a shot to see the difference.  My course is closing tomorrow but there's rumored break in the weather next week, I may try get out again.  If so, I'll try a shaft switch, either that Bi, or the Tour Trac 100 I've already got assembled.

Stating the obvious, count me as a Big Fan.  

Edited by NRJyzr

• 2 months later...

I like my TM mini, but now that the Sim 2 has come out, TM should revisit an update/refresh to the mini.  Maybe insert some of the tech from the Sim into the mini...

Taylormade Original One Mini, 13.4 deg, Reg Shaft

Taylormade Sim Draw 5-Wood

Taylormade M4 4-Hybrid

Taylormade P790 Irons (5i-AW)

Cleveland 3.0 C Wedge

Cleveland CBX2 54 Deg

Cleveland 3.0 S Wedge

Odyssey EXO Indianapolis Putter