Taylormade “Original One” Driver

Our Sponsors

I don't understand the appeal of the Mini One?  After reading about it on forums, I purchased one and tried it out.  I had two different shafts available to give it a proper test.  I found the Mini One to be no straighter or any more accurate than my normal driver.  However, the bigger issue is the Mini One was Much shorter in distance.  I got shorter distance and no improvement in dispersion.

8 minutes ago, Mmac said:

I don't understand the appeal of the Mini One?  After reading about it on forums, I purchased one and tried it out.  I had two different shafts available to give it a proper test.  I found the Mini One to be no straighter or any more accurate than my normal driver.  However, the bigger issue is the Mini One was Much shorter in distance.  I got shorter distance and no improvement in dispersion.

It's for those of us who are less enamored with the oversized drivers of today.  Or such is how I've come to using it.  

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 10*, Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, Matrix 8m3 X, 42"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1-PW Vibration Matched Golden Rams, RIP Tour 115 R (reshaft project); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, DGS300; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; Golden Ram TW276, DGS; Golden Ram TW282, DGS; Ram Troon Grind 56*, DGS
LW:  Maltby Design 60*, 1.05 sole, DGS; Maltby Design 60* 1.05 sole, NV105
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, or TM TP5

On 11/7/2020 at 12:44 AM, NRJyzr said:

Original One update....

Played Tuesday and Thursday, used the OO the entire round both days.  Even hit it on a couple holes I wouldn't normally hit driver on.  It was cool, bit windy, and I hadn't played in two and a half weeks, so there was a bit of rust going on.  Flared a couple drives early in round one, pulled a couple later.  Interestingly, I didn't actually hit any real hooks Tuesday, and only one Thursday; aside from that hook, only my first two flared shots showed much lateral movement.  

Distance on the good hits was my usual distance.  Even managed to crawl past the crest of the hill on the uphill par 4 7th hole, which is generally considered a healthy poke for yours truly.

Overall, I'm counting it a success, and will continue with this as my primary tee club.  I'm not as pleased with the RIP shaft I'm using in it.  It behaved better for me in my second round, have to avoid overswinging with it; the feel is a little different for me.  Toying with setting up something else, maybe cutting down the Tour Trac 100 I assembled to use with my SLDR.  Hmmm, sounds like a plan.

Re: loft...  I did set this as low as I could go, 10*; a 1.5* adapter on my RIP 80 shaft.  No problem for me using it at that loft, but as a caveat, I've always been something of a higher spin player off the tee.  Lucky me.  If I were to use the Duo Professional ball (instead of the TP5 I was using yesterday), I might have to play this closer to the 11.5* spec loft.

After my classic challenge round, I put this back in my bag.  I had a less than stellar round, made a handful of bad swings, compounded by playing in 20 mph winds. 

Funny how "wind is blowing, let's swing harder" doesn't actually work.  Who'd have thought?

Counting it very much as a success, and I'm keeping it in the bag.  I had a couple toed shots that behaved exactly as you'd expect with a persimmon, a draw that starts right and finishes in the fairway.  Twist Face seemed to be doing its job well.

Overall distance is quite lovely.  Hit a couple bombs with help of the wind, but even aside from that, over the three rounds I hit the OO, I'm getting good roll, good carry,  good overall distance.  I'm able to play this just fine at its lowest loft.  

I haven't tried hitting this off the deck.  I had an opportunity or two on par 5s into the wind, but didn't think of it, possibly because I'm only thinking of this as a driver, not a combo club.

I haven't done shaft experimentation yet.  I took only one swing with the BiDominatrix, wish I'd given it a shot to see the difference.  My course is closing tomorrow but there's rumored break in the weather next week, I may try get out again.  If so, I'll try a shaft switch, either that Bi, or the Tour Trac 100 I've already got assembled.

Stating the obvious, count me as a Big Fan.  

Edited by NRJyzr

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 10*, Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, Matrix 8m3 X, 42"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1-PW Vibration Matched Golden Rams, RIP Tour 115 R (reshaft project); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, DGS300; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; Golden Ram TW276, DGS; Golden Ram TW282, DGS; Ram Troon Grind 56*, DGS
LW:  Maltby Design 60*, 1.05 sole, DGS; Maltby Design 60* 1.05 sole, NV105
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, or TM TP5

• 2 months later...

I like my TM mini, but now that the Sim 2 has come out, TM should revisit an update/refresh to the mini.  Maybe insert some of the tech from the Sim into the mini...

Taylormade Original One Mini, 13.4 deg, Reg Shaft

Taylormade Sim Draw 5-Wood

Taylormade M4 4-Hybrid

Taylormade P790 Irons (5i-AW)

Cleveland 3.0 C Wedge

Cleveland CBX2 54 Deg

Cleveland 3.0 S Wedge

Odyssey EXO Indianapolis Putter