Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Another white driver.. Cobra S3

rowjow

To be released in April as a compliment to the black S3. This one rolls with the second gen Aldila RIP in white though I haven't a clue if it's any better then the first gen.

I'm hoping the RIP sorts it out because I wasn't having much luck with the stock fujikura the other week when I was testing drivers out.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

To be released in April as a compliment to the black S3. This one rolls with the second gen Aldila RIP in white though I haven't a clue if it's any better then the first gen.

I'm hoping the RIP sorts it out because I wasn't having much luck with the stock fujikura the other week when I was testing drivers out.

The Aldila RIP shafts have many different profiles you should check out. They feel nothing like many Fujikura offerings in my opinion.

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

100% better looking than the R11 IMO, this and the all white ZL that Poulter was using for a while are gorgeous...I would put this in the bag on looks alone

Driver--Taylormade RBZ Tour 9* Aldila RIP Phenom 65s

Fairway Metal--Taylormade R11s 14* Aldila RIP Phenom 70s

Hybrid--Taylormade RBZ Tour 18.5* RE-AX 85 gram S

Irons--Nike Vr Pro-Combo 4-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold S300

Wedges--Nike SV Tour Forged 50*, 56*, 60* True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter--Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

Ball--Taylormade Lethal

Grips--Lamkin R.E.L 3Gen (Woods-green, Irons-red, Wedges-white)

The Aldila RIP shafts have many different profiles you should check out. They feel nothing like many Fujikura offerings in my opinion

Agreed on them feeling nothing alike. Mostly I was curious as to which RIP is in there as I've tried the Alpha (liked) and Gamma (didn't). Haven't had a chance to whack the beta though.

Aren't the RIPs Alpha (low), Beta (mid), Gamma (high) in terms of launch?

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

$599.99. No thank you. It's gunna be like the white ZL how it's limited and crazy expensive. But it is definitely nicer than the R11. So is the White ZL!! I love cobra drivers and RIP shafts!!

its not gonna be crazy expensive...MAP will be $349.00

• 1 month later...

Cobra did a one-off ZL for Ian Poulter and then did a limited run of 500 units. They sold pretty quickly.

This I guess is more of a mass-market release.

MD, who share a manufacturing facility with Taylormade, are also going to be releasing a white driver. TM cannot patent the shade of white used and MD will be in the exact shade of paint that the R11 uses!

MD version retails at £129.99 - compared to £329 for R11 (pounds sterling...)

http://www.todaysgolfer.co.uk/Golf/News/searchresults/January-2011/MD-look-to-the-future-with-white-driver--/

Driver: Mizuno JPX-800 10.5 degree; stiff shaft; Golf Pride Multi-Compound

3 Wood: Taylormade R9, stiff shaft (set to NU)

Hybrid: Ping G15 17 degree; stiff graphite shaft

Irons: Mizuno JPX-800; Project X 5.5; Golf Pride Multi-Compound

Wedges: Cleveland CG12 52 (smoked finish), 56 (oilcan finish) & 60 degree (chrome finish)

Putter: Odyssey White Ice No. 1; Scotty Cameron Studio Design No. 5

I also play a set of Titleist 1980s Tour Forged Irons with regular shaft. These are excellent for practice, as is the Titliest PT 20 degree 5 wood that accompanies them.

Cobra has definitely out done TM in the looks department. Now if MGS would be kind enough to do another Clash of adjustable drivers to see which one is the leader in performance that would be great. Because if you remember Cobra won last years review

Whats in the bag:

Titleist 910D2 10.5 Graphite Design Y7-S

Adams 1600 proto 14.5 Graphite Design AD DJ

Titleist 910F 17 Ust Tour Black

Titleist 910H 22 Diamana Kali

Adams Idea Pro A12 4-9 KBS C Taper

Titleist Vokey SM4 46 degree w/ DG Spinner

Mizuno MP R12 50-54-58 DG spinner

Ping Redwood ZB

Ball Nike 20XI-X

Here's another white Driver......by PowerBilt.

View 1

View 2

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

its not gonna be crazy expensive...MAP will be $349.00

Just got an email from GPPGolf.com

The White S3 is $349.99

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

$349.99 - compared to what price for the standard S3?

(not from the states, £££ proper money!)

Driver: Mizuno JPX-800 10.5 degree; stiff shaft; Golf Pride Multi-Compound

3 Wood: Taylormade R9, stiff shaft (set to NU)

Hybrid: Ping G15 17 degree; stiff graphite shaft

Irons: Mizuno JPX-800; Project X 5.5; Golf Pride Multi-Compound

Wedges: Cleveland CG12 52 (smoked finish), 56 (oilcan finish) & 60 degree (chrome finish)

Putter: Odyssey White Ice No. 1; Scotty Cameron Studio Design No. 5

I also play a set of Titleist 1980s Tour Forged Irons with regular shaft. These are excellent for practice, as is the Titliest PT 20 degree 5 wood that accompanies them.

• SPY VIP

$349.99 - compared to what price for the standard S3?

(not from the states, £££ proper money!)

The difference in price $349.99 vs. $299.99 has nothing to do with the paint, but almost certainly is related to the shaft. The standard S3 has a Fujikura Blur (seems like the go to OEM shaft for 2011), whereas the white version comes stock with the matching white Aldila RIP Beta, which as mentioned above has a launch profile that fits between the Alpha and the Gamma.

I've quickly become a pretty big fan of the RIP shaft (love in the 9064LS, love it in the Callaway RAZR Hawk), so in my estimation it's well worth the extra $50...assuming you like the white look.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

• SPY VIP

What's your take on the S3 head T?

Sactown - I actually just received shipment from Cobra two days ago. I haven't had a chance to hit the S3 yet, so I obviously can't speak to performance. Visually, it's not significantly different from last year, at least as far as the crown and sole are concerned. The face is a different story. This elliptical E9 technology they're talking about over there makes for an unusual looking face. I expect I'll get my first swings in with it tomorrow.

I'm really anxious to see how the Fujikura Blur shaft performs. Last year's S3 was probably my #3 favorite for the year (I go back and forth between the ZL & S3), and my biggest gripe with it was the stock shaft...so soft and whippy at the tip. Cobra seems perpetually unappreciated by the golf community as a whole (though just about everyone who tests with us ends up loving the Cobra stuff), but I have no reason to expect the S3 won't be a solid performer.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

• SPY VIP

I demoed the S3 casually at the shop, and like the tone a bunch. I liked the ZL too, but I just hit it way too high. Maybe either the blur or the white rip will be the answer...

or a G15 :)

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Like last year I really like the head on the S3, the ball just sails from it. However I find it a bit deciving in that even though the ball sails, I didn't kind any difference in that pure sound other drivers give you when you really clock it correctly. I remember sticking my head up on a few shots and go "where the heck did that come from"

I also found the blur shaft to be too torquey for me (it rates a 5.something) but when the head is paired with a Miyazaki/Ozik/your shaft of choice, then it really came alive. I'd say this is my sleeper driver of the year

The sole looks a little bit 'plasticy' and the face looks slightly closed. Will have to hole this opinion untill i see it/try it in person though.

Just found this, really like the look of head from an adress point of view, anyone know any info on this?

Archived