TESTERS WANTED! ×

Re-Gripping a cheaper set of irons worth it ?

Do you think it’s worth it re gripping a cheaper set? My stock grips are a little slippery and the irons TM rbladez are a year old so I have some time left but I’m pretty new to golf so Idk how long I should keep them or if re gripping is even worth it on this set 

The grips are very important and if you like the iron set and hit them well, the age of them doesn’t matter. I say regrip. If you can do it yourself it is fairly cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

The only thing holding that club is your hands on the grip.  If that grip is slick, you're going to grip tighter (or send the club flying) and that kills your control and ability to release the club through impact.  There are plenty of inexpensive grips out there if you don't want to spend much.  Do yourself a favor and regrip your clubs unless you plan on replacing them in the immediate future.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

The only thing holding that club is your hands on the grip.  If that grip is slick, you're going to grip tighter (or send the club flying) and that kills your control and ability to release the club through impact.  There are plenty of inexpensive grips out there if you don't want to spend much.  Do yourself a favor and regrip your clubs unless you plan on replacing them in the immediate future.

What Carl said!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

If you like the clubs it is definitely worth it. 8 irons regripped will run you $50-$100 depending on what grips you choose. Still much cheaper than new clubs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

• 2 weeks later...
You can buy grips from AliExpress for a few bucks. They are not bad at all.
I never recommend AliExpress as most of their stuff is known to be knockoffs. Grips are no exception. That said you can find great deals on eBay as well as golfworks depending on what you are looking for.

For example I am a huge fan of the NDMC style grips and after some research realized that Golf Pride doesn't even own the patent on them (if I remember correctly sharpro does). Now I play Karma's version of them and have recently been looking into Champkey and other less know companies.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Just now, blackngold_blood said:

I never recommend AliExpress as most of their stuff is known to be knockoffs. Grips are no exception. That said you can find great deals on eBay as well as golfworks depending on what you are looking for.

For example I am a huge fan of the NDMC style grips and after some research realized that Golf Pride doesn't even own the patent on them (if I remember correctly sharpro does). Now I play Karma's version of them and have recently been looking into Champkey and other less know companies.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I've purchased many grips from AliExpress. Many are OEM made in China.

Now, if you taking about the $40.00 grip Pride MCC 4, tour Velvet on eBay. I had a couple guys asking me to regroup using them. Give me crap because they were so much cheaper. Well I purchased several grips sets ( 13 ea) from eBay sent them to the largest grip wholesaler in the USA, counterfeit.

I sell lots of grips, many folks don't play alot or, don't have 10.00 per club to spend. AliExpress has good product. 

It's easy to see who makes the grips, the website tells you. PGM is a large company you know. I just bought several golf cage targets from AliExpress, $18.00, Amazon, eBay $32.00 same product. Oh and free shipping.

How many orders have you placed on AliExpress?

All good advice on here--- Age of a club does not matter as long as you hit it good and you like it. I had to chuckle when you stated they were old at only one year old. Guys like DJ and myself play clubs 40 or 50 years old. As long as the grooves are ok and the shafts are not rusted play them. I think my newest 2 sets were made in 2013

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I've purchased many grips from AliExpress. Many are OEM made in China.
Now, if you taking about the $40.00 grip Pride MCC 4, tour Velvet on eBay. I had a couple guys asking me to regroup using them. Give me crap because they were so much cheaper. Well I purchased several grips sets ( 13 ea) from eBay sent them to the largest grip wholesaler in the USA, counterfeit.
I sell lots of grips, many folks don't play alot or, don't have 10.00 per club to spend. AliExpress has good product. 
It's easy to see who makes the grips, the website tells you. PGM is a large company you know. I just bought several golf cage targets from AliExpress, $18.00, Amazon, eBay $32.00 same product. Oh and free shipping.
How many orders have you placed on AliExpress?

I am not going to get into a debate with you on aliexpress and clog up the OP’s thread. If you wish to discuss you can pm me. With that said if you want to use them that is your choice, all I said was I wouldn’t recommend the site as they deal in known counterfeits. I understand that not everything is necessarily counterfeit just like some things on eBay have been counterfeit but I won’t put my name out there recommending something that can end up biting me. It is just the way I am.

I will just leave it this way for the OP, there are deals to be had but at the same time some deals really are too good to be true. Do as much research as you can until you feel comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Grips are super important. It's worth it. You can't play well with inexpensive clubs if you're slipping.

Sent using the MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver:    :ping-small: i20 8.5*, Project X Blue, stiff

Fairway Woods:   :taylormade-small: r9 3W 15*, r9 5W 19* Fujikura Motore 70 stiff

Irons:    :ping-small: i210's 4-UW

Wedges:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 55* :callaway-small: MD3 Milled S Grind 60* 

Putter:    :ping-small: B60i Isopur

Agreed with all of the others. If you like the irons and they're what you game, definitely regrip them. It's incredibly easy to do on your own, I'm terrible with tools and even *I* can regrip. Plus, you may end up finding a different style/size grip helps your game. Regripping with mid-sized grips a few years back did that for me. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I didn't realize how much new grips make a difference.  Not only new, but also the right size.  I'd say if you like your clubs and are going to keep them, then I would definitely get new grips.  However, if you are going to be getting new irons soon then I would hold off.  You can give your grips a good cleaning with just soap and water to remove some of the oils and that can bring back some of the tack.  You can also use a little sandpaper to rough them up some and it will make they have some more traction.  Of course, the quick fixes are just short term so if those irons are staying in the bag past this season then go ahead a change those grips! 

:wilson_staff_small: :taylormade-small: :callaway-small:                    

PXG 0211 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik 21* 7W
Taylormade RSi1 5 Iron
Taylormade RSi2 6-PW
Taylormade PSI 50*
Callaway Jaws 54* C Grind
Wilson Staff Infinite Southside
Maxfli Tour

Change the grips and do it yourself.  It's easy!  The last box of grips I bought were Royal XV midsize from Golfworks and I paid $1.60 a piece on sale.  Add double sided tape and some solvent and I'm all in for less than $2/club to regrip.  At that price you can afford to do it every year!

Not happy using an off brand like Royal, well they're owned by Lamkin and the XV is just a rerelease of the Lamkin Stingfree grip from about 10 years ago.  Great grip for the golfer who doesn't wear a glove.  Someone else mentioned Champkey; I have one of those on my driver and as far as I can tell it looks and feels exactly like a Winn Dri-Tac.  Lots of options out there for the enterprising club builder.

Your problem is LOFT -- lack of friggin' talent!

WS D7 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 16°/22°

TM Speedblades 5-PW

Cleveland CBX 56°

Cleveland Huntington Beach 6

Do you think it’s worth it re gripping a cheaper set? My stock grips are a little slippery and the irons TM rbladez are a year old so I have some time left but I’m pretty new to golf so Idk how long I should keep them or if re gripping is even worth it on this set 

You really should replace those grips then plan to replace them again about every 12 to 18 months depending on weather and how often you play. Grips can make a huge difference.

As for the many discount and or counterfeit options out there my recommendation is buyer beware. Unless these items where procured (stolen) from a real OEM factory then they will probably not last very long. They’ll look good at first but to sell them to you at such a low cost the factory producing the grips must cut production costs as well as quality control.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

I'm sure by now you've picked up what nearly everybody has laid down regarding new grips. Grips really are like new tires on your car. After they've worn quite a bit, you just don't realize that you've gotten used to a rougher ride.. Once you replace them, it's almost like you just bought a new car. New grips literally have the ability to help someone fall back in love with an old set of clubs.. or at least realize that the clubs aren't as old or outdated as they had thought. 

Now in terms of grip brands, preferences, etc, you will find some are only good for maybe half a season, some good for a whole season, and some that literally will last and perform without breaking down for 2-3-4 seasons. It's all about the proprietary compounds they use and what their business model is. I'm going on my 3rd season of PURE Pro's. With a light soap/water scrub in between rounds, they literally still feel as good as the day I put them on. How do I know this? I recently had 3 wedges and a driver fitted with Star Sidewinders (PURE Pro equivalent) and the older PURE's are just as tacky and soft as the newbs with literally no grip wear or cracking. Brands like Pure/Star boast longevity and advertise an extremely durable compound that won't break down unlike a lot of other brands. Not sure about Pure's bur Star has a 3 year warranty. You'd be hard pressed to find any grip company that wants you to go 3 years without paying them more money. (Side Note: Pure was formed by some rogue Star employees a few years back. Both brands now cater more to Asian markets where equipment costs are astronomical as well as repair fees so having a grip that lasts a few years is much more appealing. Also, in certain parts of Asia, Golf is a sport that's practiced like football, baseball, or basketball here.. on a daily basis for hours so the equipment also gets used 2-3 X's more than ours and durability is also highly important). I had some Superstroke Wrap TC grips previously on the same clubs that literally lasted about 3 months before they started falling apart. I'm sure this is by design.. The same goes for brand like Winn. They're made to feel nice but definitely are not made to last. I got side tracked..  I'm not here to advertise but just to state that depending on your preferences, you may find yourself replacing your favorite grips quite often. 

if you are looking to order in bulk rather than pay the retailers, Golfworks or Hireko Golf are a couple of reputable Component companies with good prices and they often have sales. 

Final note: If you happen to be near a PGATSS, they offer an annual "Player's Club" membership for $100. This is priceless. It includes 30 free re-grippings (not grips) but they'll re-grip with anything you give them or buy from them. I have my grips done Standard size with 1 full base, 1 at 2/3'ds from the bottom, and 1 at 1/3 from bottom with 1 full additional over the top.. Pretty specific and tedious request and they'll do that on all clubs with no extra charge. In case anybody is wondering, the end result is like a Standard + with minimal taper. The membership also includes unlimited time in the hitting bays with launch monitor data and 50% off club repair services. Use of hitting bays and  re-gripping alone pays for the membership within the 1st month. 

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG