TESTERS WANTED! ×

Flag stick revisited

revkev

I’m surprised that there’s not or else I’ve missed a thread commenting on the Golf Digest article claiming to have data that suggests we should always leave the flag stick in.

This article contradicts findings from MGS and Dave Pelz. Honestly in reading the article I thought there were times where the author reached conclusions that weren’t supported by his data. What he did that I liked was attempt to test proximity to the hole based on in/out. He claimed that this test was inconclusive. I’d have liked to have seen the data. I’d also like to have someone whom I trust - MGS or Pelz do a study with real golfers on flag in or out proximity to the hole on 30 footers.

I also wish that the MGS team would comment on that study from Golf Digest. I’m still going flag in but it has caused lots of people who might to refuse to leave it in thus defeating the USGA’s purpose for establishing the rule in the first place. Increased pace of play.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Rev: the discussion (including Adam Beach's direct challenge to the professor involved) picked up in an older thread in this post: 

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

Adam did post a video on Twitter.  You'll probably see it to the right towards the bottom of all the ads.  They want to bring "Professor" Mays out to the MGS HQ to go over what he tested and how...hands-on style.  

• In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 6-way
  • :cobra-small: King F9 set to 9*, Tour length Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 S-flex, with GolfPride MCC +4 mid-size
  • image.png.27e1496834233542c5d124bf8b9e3352.png3W - 13*, UST Mamiya 65 Gold S-flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :taylormade-small: SIM UDI 2-iron - 18*, Mitsubishi Diamana Thump 100 X-flex, with GolfPride MCC Align
  • :srixon-small: ZX5 4-5 & ZX7 6-PW, :Nippon: Modus3 120 Tour S-flex, +1/2", with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: - SM8 Tour Chrome, 50.08F - 54.10S - 58.12D, DG Wedge Flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :EVNROLL: Custom Fit 35" ER6 Red at 68 degree lie angle and 4 degrees of loft
  • :Snell: MTB-X            :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope             Tracked by :Arccos:         #WPS 🐗

Adam did comment about the situation and I believed invited Professor Mase to come to the test facility and conduct research together and come to a final conclusion regarding the situation. 

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

Since I can remember I’ve left the stick in while playing alone. I will say it had never made me miss a putt.

Backboarded a few chips and approach shots off it, but never got “pinned” on a putt.

Helps with my depth perception too.

So this new rule really doesn’t apply to me because I’ve been doing it for years....

I've been leaving it in for years when I play alone and now I leave it in almost always.  So far this year I have seen dozens of putts that everyone in the group thought the pin helped a particular putt and only one that we thought the pin probably hurt.   Some times on an almost gimme range I will putt out without the flag if the person before me has had the flag pulled.   I believe it helps.

Driver -     Rogue ST Max
Woods -   Rogue ST MaxRogue ST Max 3, 5 & 7 Wooda 
Irons -      Rogue ST MAX OS  5 - AW
Wedges -   Zipcore RTX 6 50°  CBX2   54* & 58*  

Putter -    ER2
Rangefinder -  NX9 Slope
Ball -  Vice Pro Soft Drip

Bag -  Xtreme Cart 7.0 Bag Heather/Red/White

I think leaving the flagstick in is something that you should do based on what look you prefer.  Personally I like taking the flagstick out because it makes the hole look bigger but some people say that it gives them a more precise target and they believe in the aim small miss small method.  On the contrary I do like leaving it in on long putts to see the hole.

1 hour ago, revkev said:

This article contradicts findings from MGS and Dave Pelz. Honestly in reading the article I thought there were times where the author reached conclusions that weren’t supported by his data. What he did that I liked was attempt to test proximity to the hole based on in/out. He claimed that this test was inconclusive. I’d have liked to have seen the data. I’d also like to have someone whom I trust - MGS or Pelz do a study with real golfers on flag in or out proximity to the hole on 30 footers.

The Molinari study also suggested that the flagstick could be a detriment in certain situations, this isn't the first to suggest that.  To me, if I combine all of the various studies, I come to two basic conclusions.  For a putt that is going relatively fast, the flagstick is more likely to help than to hurt.  Balls that hit the stick might go in, but almost certainly will finish closer to the hole than if they didn't hit the stick.  For putts going at the proper speed, there are combinations of location and speed where the flagstick could keep putts from falling.  The problem is variability, both for human putters, and for green surfaces, so its nearly impossible to predict exactly where a putt will strike the stick, or at precisely what speed.  Foir me, the solution is to leave the flagstick in when there's a reasonable chance that I'll hit the putt too hard (longer putts mostly) and remove it when I'm confident that I can control the speed well.

The problem I see with real golfers putting from 30 feet is that there will be really few putts that actually hit the hole.  The pros make something like 1 out of 20 or less from that range.  Each golfer would have to spend half a day in order to get a dozen or more data points.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

The Molinari study also suggested that the flagstick could be a detriment in certain situations, this isn't the first to suggest that.  To me, if I combine all of the various studies, I come to two basic conclusions.  For a putt that is going relatively fast, the flagstick is more likely to help than to hurt.  Balls that hit the stick might go in, but almost certainly will finish closer to the hole than if they didn't hit the stick.  For putts going at the proper speed, there are combinations of location and speed where the flagstick could keep putts from falling.  The problem is variability, both for human putters, and for green surfaces, so its nearly impossible to predict exactly where a putt will strike the stick, or at precisely what speed.  Foir me, the solution is to leave the flagstick in when there's a reasonable chance that I'll hit the putt too hard (longer putts mostly) and remove it when I'm confident that I can control the speed well.
The problem I see with real golfers putting from 30 feet is that there will be really few putts that actually hit the hole.  The pros make something like 1 out of 20 or less from that range.  Each golfer would have to spend half a day in order to get a dozen or more data points.

I agree with what you have to write but haven’t made myself clear on the 30 footers. I think the optics of the flag in will lead to a closer proximity to the hole not because the ball hits the pin but because the human putter has a better sense of distance. I’d love to see a test done on that.

I read the Profs narrative. Based on what he says his data found it’s preposterous to say that the flag out benefits 99 percent of the time or even a majority of the time.

I think there are rare occasions where the flag out would benefit - since those are rare and unpredictable I will leave it in.

Sorry that I missed Adam’s response - thanks to everyone for providing links. I appreciate reorganizing the threads but it has caused me to loose track of some of them. That’s a me thing not a MGS thing. :)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

2 minutes ago, revkev said:

I agree with what you have to write but haven’t made myself clear on the 30 footers. I think the optics of the flag in will lead to a closer proximity to the hole not because the ball hits the pin but because the human putter has a better sense of distance. I’d love to see a test done on that.

I believe you're right, that the flagstick improves depth perception, and so improves speed control, for a majority of players.  I think that advantage will get some attention, due to the attention the flagstick is getting in light of the rule changes, but we've always been able to get that same advantage by having the flag tended.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Back at Dave - but we're guys, how many of us are ever going to ask another guy for help by having them attend the flag?  Next thing you know you're going to be telling me to stop at the gas station to ask for directions. 🙂

Does anyone remember when Seve used to have the flag attended for 10 footers? 

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

2 hours ago, TSauer said:

Adam did comment about the situation and I believed invited Professor Mase to come to the test facility and conduct research together and come to a final conclusion regarding the situation. 

WOW!  Gauntlet thrown!  BOOYAH.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

I wonder how the flagstick in/out debate works for breaking putts?

Not sure if that was a part of either study but -- perceptually -- there is a big difference to me between straight putts and left/right breakers.

I can see the stick being in/out for straight and shorter putts as negligible but I think it really comes in handy being in for longer breaking putts.  I've only played a couple times and I can't say it has helped me make more but what I CAN say it that it has definitely helped with my LAG putting.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

I wonder how the flagstick in/out debate works for breaking putts?.

I don’t think it would matter. At the hole a ball is rolling end over end and approaching a hole that is 4.25” wide with a flagstick. In the middle and at a particular speed. The question will primarily center around a ball that does. Not hit the center of the flagstick and how much energy is transferred back to the ball to push it out of the hole. I can simulate all the conditions with a straight putt

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

3 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I don’t think it would matter. At the hole a ball is rolling end over end and approaching a hole that is 4.25” wide with a flagstick. In the middle and at a particular speed. The question will primarily center around a ball that does. Not hit the center of the flagstick and how much energy is transferred back to the ball to push it out of the hole. I can simulate all the conditions with a straight putt

Yep... I understand the physics of it.  A ball going into a hole with a vertical object protruding out of it is the same no matter what the angle of the hole is.

My comment was more from an "aiming/alignment" perspective....will golfers find it easier to read the break with the stick in or out?

Personally, I think the pin in for long breaking putts makes it easier to read.

There are 2 parts to the discussion - the first part is as you mentioned - the ball physically rolling into the hole at certain speeds and the second part is more theoretical - does it help golfers start their ball on the proper line with the correct speed?

I realize it's nearly impossible to test the second part but I think perceptually that does play an important role.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

I'm leaving it in- it just works!

Maybe pull it for a 2 footer that has the potential to ricochet if hit too hard, apart from that it's in and we get faster rounds to boot!👏

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

7 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Personally, I think the pin in for long breaking putts makes it easier to read.

I can see two sides to this.  I believe that the flagstick can aid depth perception, and that's one component of green-reading, so that's a positive.  But if the cup wasn't installed quite plumb, or the flag isn't quite replaced correctly, you might be looking at a crooked flagstick, which could lead to mis-reading putts.  I use Aimpoint, so I'm not really looking at anything to make my reads.  Eyes can be influenced by a lot of things, including background slopes, and I have to believe that can include a slightly crooked flagstick.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

3 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I can see two sides to this.  I believe that the flagstick can aid depth perception, and that's one component of green-reading, so that's a positive.  But if the cup wasn't installed quite plumb, or the flag isn't quite replaced correctly, you might be looking at a crooked flagstick, which could lead to mis-reading putts.  I use Aimpoint, so I'm not really looking at anything to make my reads.  Eyes can be influenced by a lot of things, including background slopes, and I have to believe that can include a slightly crooked flagstick.

TRUE!  Especially when the wind is blowing 30+ mph and flag stick is flopping all over the place like when I played in TX.  😉

MVIMG_20190119_111130.jpg

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

@Dave and Stroker

True that's why I always check to make sure the flag is securely in the hole when I'm putting or chipping with it in.  And if the wind is blowing that hard all bets are off - I should have to ask to have it tended but being a guy I'll just take it out then because no way I'm asking for help (as I wrote in an earlier post.) 🙂

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

TRUE!  Especially when the wind is blowing 30+ mph and flag stick is flopping all over the place like when I played in TX. 
MVIMG_20190119_111130.thumb.jpg.5bf08bb8e31aa8ab030a75644fdc6671.jpg

Unless the break of the put goes with the lean of the stick (right to left in your picture), then you have more room for the ball to drop.

• In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 6-way
  • :cobra-small: King F9 set to 9*, Tour length Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 S-flex, with GolfPride MCC +4 mid-size
  • image.png.27e1496834233542c5d124bf8b9e3352.png3W - 13*, UST Mamiya 65 Gold S-flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :taylormade-small: SIM UDI 2-iron - 18*, Mitsubishi Diamana Thump 100 X-flex, with GolfPride MCC Align
  • :srixon-small: ZX5 4-5 & ZX7 6-PW, :Nippon: Modus3 120 Tour S-flex, +1/2", with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: - SM8 Tour Chrome, 50.08F - 54.10S - 58.12D, DG Wedge Flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :EVNROLL: Custom Fit 35" ER6 Red at 68 degree lie angle and 4 degrees of loft
  • :Snell: MTB-X            :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope             Tracked by :Arccos:         #WPS 🐗

1 minute ago, M. Parsons said:

Unless the break of the put goes with the lean of the stick (right to left in your picture), then you have more room for the ball to drop.

Haha...this is true!  This course was near Mcallen TX and when the wind blows there nothing gets in its way... I've never "played the wind" on a putt before but learned to pretty quickly.  😃

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

4 hours ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

There are 2 parts to the discussion - the first part is as you mentioned - the ball physically rolling into the hole at certain speeds and the second part is more theoretical - does it help golfers start their ball on the proper line with the correct speed?

From an aiming perspective I am in the camp of it helps,.  But we have always been able to aim when the flag was in the hole it just had to be tended.  I think it helps since I am able to look at something at eye level verses a hole in the ground.   

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

9 hours ago, Shankster said:

Since I can remember I’ve left the stick in while playing alone. I will say it had never made me miss a putt.

Backboarded a few chips and approach shots off it, but never got “pinned” on a putt.

Helps with my depth perception too.

So this new rule really doesn’t apply to me because I’ve been doing it for years.... emoji16.png

Heck us old farts have been leaving it in since 1962 plus we don't like bending over to pick the damn thing up!

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

14 minutes ago, ole gray said:

Heck us old farts have been leaving it in since 1962 plus we don't like bending over to pick the damn thing up!

Which leads to one more disadvantage of leaving the stick in -- the ball's harder to get out and for those of you using the suction cup on the putter grip, it's impossible....hahahaha

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Just now, CarlH said:

Which leads to one more disadvantage of leaving the stick in -- the ball's harder to get out and for those of you using the suction cup on the putter grip, it's impossible....hahahaha

Bingo! 💣

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

thats why we invented gimmes

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

31 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

thats why we invented gimmesemoji23.png

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Gimmies:  the rule invented by guys that can't putt!   😄 

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

TRUE!  Especially when the wind is blowing 30+ mph and flag stick is flopping all over the place like when I played in TX. 
MVIMG_20190119_111130.thumb.jpg.5bf08bb8e31aa8ab030a75644fdc6671.jpg
I play quite a few solo rounds, so I have a tendency to leave the flag in to speed up play. I've never had it negatively affect my putting until yesterday, and I learned a valuable lesson. If the wind is blowing hard and I see the flag is leaning, I think I'll remove it from the hole.20190418_181036-01.jpeg
Otherwise, I'll keep putting with it in.

Also, kudos to Adam for offering the professor travel expenses and a room to go to headquarters to put his theory to the test. I hope it happens and I would absolutely love to read their findings.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

37 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

I play quite a few solo rounds, so I have a tendency to leave the flag in to speed up play. I've never had it negatively affect my putting until yesterday, and I learned a valuable lesson. If the wind is blowing hard and I see the flag is leaning, I think I'll remove it from the hole.

None of the ball was below the surface of the green?