Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

G410 irons AWT 2 vs DG 105?

Toro3150

If anyone else has hit or been fitted for Ping's G410's, I'm wondering which shaft you ended up selecting.  I like the feel of the AWT 2 stiff, but numbers are slightly better for AWT 2 regular..., but man does that regular feel super whippy.  I don't like it at all.  Fitter suggested the middle ground might be the DG 105, but that shaft was being used by another fitter.  I've got to go back to try it.

Has anyone every hit the DG105?  Ping's website says it's Mid-High launch shaft at 97g, while True Temper's site says it's Mid-Low and 103g.  Not sure of the discrepancy there.  Anyway, it's all speculation until I can try it.  My 7 iron SS is in the 71-74 mph range.  I want a lighter shaft, but regular flex always feels so flimsy to me, so maybe the DG 105 might be the answer?  Thanks for any input.  Jon

I actually had the DG 105 in my old Adams idea Pro irons as I was transitioning from steel to graphite - they were a nice shaft - I’d characterize them is medium high launch but all of that is subjective.

A 7 iron swing speed in the 71-74 range would indicate an R flex shaft - mine’s in the high 70’s and I’m in R flex. Plus the results beat that out.

Could the “whipy” feel be in your head? I’d be reluctant to go away from a fitting result that was a good fitting.

I hope that helps

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• 1 month later...
On 4/19/2019 at 11:22 AM, Toro3150 said:

If anyone else has hit or been fitted for Ping's G410's, I'm wondering which shaft you ended up selecting.  I like the feel of the AWT 2 stiff, but numbers are slightly better for AWT 2 regular..., but man does that regular feel super whippy.  I don't like it at all.  Fitter suggested the middle ground might be the DG 105, but that shaft was being used by another fitter.  I've got to go back to try it.

Has anyone every hit the DG105?  Ping's website says it's Mid-High launch shaft at 97g, while True Temper's site says it's Mid-Low and 103g.  Not sure of the discrepancy there.  Anyway, it's all speculation until I can try it.  My 7 iron SS is in the 71-74 mph range.  I want a lighter shaft, but regular flex always feels so flimsy to me, so maybe the DG 105 might be the answer?  Thanks for any input.  Jon

Last year I was fitted for irons and it was the G400's with the Project X 5.5 LZ that won the day.  Not really seeing the shift in performance that moved me away from my PE2's, and being early in my search, I decided to continue looking.

Having hit the G410's this past winter, I was just fitted again last week.  We started with the PX but then moved to the AWT 2.0 stiff.  That resulted in improved numbers and a slightly better feel IMO.  I see lots of comments about PING's AWT 2.0 shafts and how they are largely underrated.  They are made by Nippon for PING.  They have an "ascending weight" design which changes launch characteristics from long to short irons.  Shaft weight increases as you progress from long to short clubs.  Virtually everything I've read about them is positive - even a little raving.  These will be the shafts on my set of G410's.

Here's a chart from PING comparing shafts.  I'm not sure which DG is represented, but it suggests they are stiffer and heavier than AWT's.  My fast and compact swing is what moves me into the stiff flex on AWT's.  In DG, a regular might work - but I never tested those.

1139356136_PINGShaftChart.thumb.jpg.2ae54fa17bafafaacba052a1bd5b2018.jpg

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

• 7 months later...
  • 7 months later...
On 5/21/2019 at 9:22 AM, fixyurdivot said:

...  I'm not sure which DG is represented, but it suggests they are stiffer and heavier than AWT's. ....

1139356136_PINGShaftChart.thumb.jpg.2ae54fa17bafafaacba052a1bd5b2018.jpg

I'm pretty sure it is "classic" dynamic gold. Not the 105 or 120 just regular old dynamic golf.

That said, I'm wondering how Ping puts together this chart. Everywhere I've read the nippon  modus 105 is a "mid" launch shaft but here it is shown as the highest launching shaft offered. This despite being classified by Ping as mid-high opposed to the XP95 which is high launching according to Ping. Also, the modus 105 shaft is heavier than the AWT according to Ping's chart (for 7 iron) for every flex but X. Seeing as the modus is a CW shaft and the AWT gets heavier on the shorter irons, the crossover point must be somewhere near the 7 or 8 iron but I would still think something is off as I would assume this chart is based on the 7 iron just like the other data they provide for length, weight, etc.

I have Modus 105 S in my 410 irons, they launched a bit higher than the AWT and I had played Nippon shafts for the past 5+ years. The DG105 should be lower launching than both of those options. I have an AWT 2.0 5 iron shaft in a G700 4 iron head that I use as a driving iron. I think PING did a good thing with the changing weights in the AWT shaft and would probably go with those if I had to do it again to see if it helps my gapping. I'm not sure why they choose to make the UW and PW the same lengths...

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0