TESTERS WANTED! ×

5 club competition

First comp of 2019 tomorrow and it's a 5 club comp.

I'm thinking..........;

4 wood

5 iron

7 iron

PW

Putter

I grew up playing golf with 6 clubs so I'm looking forward to this, the opportunity to manufacture shots especially from 100yds and in is quite exciting.

would you choose any different combo?

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

Sounds like a ton of fun! Wish we had something like that around here.

For me I would be going 3 wood, 6 iron, 8 iron, gap and putter. 

Although the idea certainly has me thinking!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I've never done a 5 club event, but have done plenty of 3 club events.  I'd probably opt for the 6 and toss out the 5 and 7 then put in a SW.  Maybe swap a 9 for the PW. 

But everyone's strengths and weaknesses will vary.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Sounds like a ton of fun. I'd probably go with, 3W, 7 iron, 52° 58° and putter. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Sounds like a good time.  I'm sure my first set was only 6 clubs, too.  

Some of it would depend on the course, but from my current setup I'd probably go 3h, 6, 9, 56* and putter.

Good luck!  Make sure you give us an update.

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

2H, 6I, 9I SW, Putter

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

Par 5s and 3s would influence me but I would go:

Driver - very comfortable hitting this club

5 iron

8 iron

GW

Putter

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

12 hours ago, perseveringgolfer said:

First comp of 2019 tomorrow and it's a 5 club comp.

I'm thinking..........;

4 wood

5 iron

7 iron

PW

Putter

I grew up playing golf with 6 clubs so I'm looking forward to this, the opportunity to manufacture shots especially from 100yds and in is quite exciting.

would you choose any different combo?

Some interesting options in the replies 👏

It's made me rethink as you are all correct, the par 5's and par 3's are an influence.....so...

with 2 hrs till tee time I'm changing and going with.....

3 iron - an old Mizuno T zoid pro

6 iron

9 iron

54* wedge

putter

4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

3 hours ago, perseveringgolfer said:

Some interesting options in the replies 👏

It's made me rethink as you are all correct, the par 5's and par 3's are an influence.....so...

with 2 hrs till tee time I'm changing and going with.....

3 iron - an old Mizuno T zoid pro

6 iron

9 iron

54* wedge

putter

Good luck, interesting in hearing how it goes

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Just back.

76 with three 3 putts and no other putt EVER threatening the hole.

3 iron off the tee and fairway was ace, never missed a fairway and it was pretty long as the ground is hard just now.

Poor choice in my irons for the par 3's, my 9 iron was well out of reach for most (I tried on a 160yd hole and smashed it to 30 yds short haha), used the 6 iron on the others, gripped down, swung easy and made great contact so was on the others, then 3 putted 2 of them🙄

highlight was 2 x 3 irons to a foot on a 430 yd par 4 (made that putt, just, it fell in the side🙄)

next hole was 2 x 3 irons to a 411yd par 4 but against the breeze, so well short, nice 9 iron chip to 2 feet and holed a nervous putt.

I never used the 54* wedge at all, so 4 clubs only.

It was nice to play easy swinging shots, they all gave good contact so I might try clubbing down next round and swinging easier for some more consistency.

I will also be using a different putter.🤭 That MGS tester opportunity for putting would have been good for me, but wrong continent😂

Interesting comp, not sure I'll enter next year though.

43 minutes ago, Shankster said:

100% fairway? Nice!

Thanks, didn't think about it until after the round, but hitting a 3 iron down quite wide fairways it didnt even occur to me I would miss a fairway, it's an iron. Made me realise the driver on anything under 380yds in future might not be wise as I've had bogies and doubles on some of our shortest par 4's when the driver put me in trouble.

now if only I could putt🙄

2 hours ago, perseveringgolfer said:

Thanks, didn't think about it until after the round, but hitting a 3 iron down quite wide fairways it didnt even occur to me I would miss a fairway, it's an iron. Made me realise the driver on anything under 380yds in future might not be wise as I've had bogies and doubles on some of our shortest par 4's when the driver put me in trouble.

now if only I could putt🙄

While you don't sound particularly happy with how you played,  it sounds like you learned some things about your game and maybe a better way to manage the course. 

now if only I could putt

I’d rather have 200 into a green from the fairway instead of 140 from the trees or Worse.

Best round last year was all 3 or 5 irons off the tee on par 4’s and 5’s. Even if I miss GIR I can rely on the wedge game to get me close.

Yeah... that putting thing. I’m with you on that... I’d rather chip. But I am going to make an effort to practice more putting this year.

Man, I’d have to see the yardages, especially the Par 3s, to be able to decide. I’d start with those, then go from there. If it’s at the course where I play, I’d have 3w, putter, 7 iron, 9 iron, and 54* wedge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

10 hours ago, cnosil said:

While you don't sound particularly happy with how you played,  it sounds like you learned some things about your game and maybe a better way to manage the course. 

Does it show 😉

Mainly bad putting, everything else was good.

I was 10th overall nett, and 3rd in scratch out of 81 players with 3 x 3 putts and a number of 'holeable' birdie putts that were 4 feet short 🙄😂

Next round is with a TM Vicino Spider mallet and superstroke grip 😂

2 hours ago, perseveringgolfer said:

Does it show 😉

Mainly bad putting, everything else was good.

I was 10th overall nett, and 3rd in scratch out of 81 players with 3 x 3 putts and a number of 'holeable' birdie putts that were 4 feet short 🙄😂

Next round is with a TM Vicino Spider mallet and superstroke grip 😂

Maybe you should have left the putter out of the bag and picked a different club  🤣