Interlock or Overlap?

fixyurdivot

Your Grip  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Which grip do you use?

• Interlock index and pinky
    • Overlap index and pinky

1 hour ago, GB13 said:

Interlock tends to favor a draw/left miss while overlap tends to be a fade/right miss. 

So I guess that means the 10 finger or "baseball" grip tends to favor the middle.  😀

I used the 10 finger grip since I started playing 27 years ago... until last year.  I tried the interlock and like @perseveringgolfer it hurt my finger.  I think the size of the grip might have an effect here.  I decided to try overlapping, mostly because I could grip the club with less pressure and reduce trail (right) hand dominance.  For the moment I'll stick with that.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Interlock tends to favor a draw/left miss while overlap tends to be a fade/right miss. 
Whoa, this could be a game changer. I did notice that switching to overlap yesterday stopped me from cooking shots too far left. My normal flight is a draw so maybe this will straighten it out a little. Time to experiment!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

2 hours ago, Kenny B said:

So I guess that means the 10 finger or "baseball" grip tends to favor the middle.  😀

I used the 10 finger grip since I started playing 27 years ago... until last year.  I tried the interlock and like @perseveringgolfer it hurt my finger.  I think the size of the grip might have an effect here.  I decided to try overlapping, mostly because I could grip the club with less pressure and reduce trail (right) hand dominance.  For the moment I'll stick with that.  

I now use 10 finger and it doesn't go straight.

I've tried them all and can get a big high cut with them all, even when I don't try. Just a matter of degrees for me.

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

16 minutes ago, Alf. S said:

I now use 10 finger and it doesn't go straight.

I've tried them all and can get a big high cut with them all, even when I don't try. Just a matter of degrees for me.

Yeah, it's mostly not the grip type.  That's the club face open relative to swing path... I know!!

I had a slice with the 10 finger grip and corrected it with a 10 finger grip.  I have found that since I went from 10 finger grip to overlapping, my grip pressure with my right (trail) hand is less and it's easier for me to hit a draw.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

44 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Yeah, it's mostly not the grip type.  That's the club face open relative to swing path... I know!!

I had a slice with the 10 finger grip and corrected it with a 10 finger grip.  I have found that since I went from 10 finger grip to overlapping, my grip pressure with my right (trail) hand is less and it's easier for me to hit a draw.

That's interesting, to me it feels the exact opposite and that I won't close the clubface due to my right hand influencing the clubface less and not "turning over" as much. Brains are weird 😄

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

13 minutes ago, yungkory said:

That's interesting, to me it feels the exact opposite and that I won't close the clubface due to my right hand influencing the clubface less and not "turning over" as much. Brains are weird 😄

That is what happens to me as well. When I miss left, I feel like me right hand has "flipped" the face shut. For me the overlap take the right hand out of the swing, and eliminates the flip left. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

10 minutes ago, yungkory said:

I have a problem on my through swing.  When my right hand is on the club a little too tight, I tend to come over the top a little and promotes a fade.  It also slows down my swing. I can't afford ANY loss of speed!!!  It was worse with 10 finger grip.

On 4/21/2019 at 11:41 AM, cnosil said:

I just naturally started interlock and have never switched.  I have tried overlap a couple of times and is doesn't feel as secure.

Same here. I've fooled with overlap a few times, but I can never get comfortable with it. 

:cobra-small: LTDx Black 10.5º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 6F4
:cobra-small: LTDx 3W 15º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 7F4
:ping-small: G425 3H 19º | UST Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F4
:srixon-small: Z785 4-PW | UST Recoil 125 Proto F4
:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore Tour Rack 50
º Mid, 54º Mid, 60º Mid | UST Recoil Wedge Proto F4
:EVNROLL: ER5BV | BGT Stability Tour

:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

• 3 months later...
Again... I switched several years ago to full-finger or ten-finger grip. Choose your name. I played my whole life up to that point with an overlap. Played well too. However, After I changed my ball striking improved. Easier to trap. More solid. I've never regretted it. Some people say the full-finger promotes a hook. It can if you're not careful I suppose. But it hasn't for me. It's all about impact anyway. As Nicklaus famously said, "I don't care how you hold the club, - interlock, overlap, full finger. Doesn't matter as long you are able to square the face at impact." Ever seen a baseball player overlapping or interlocking? Me either.
BTW: The poll excluded full-finger or 10-finger
I'm also a full-finger player. I've experimented with both overlap (doesn't feel secure) and interlock (kills my pinkies) and am just more comfortable with all ten fingers in the club.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I started playing golf with an interlock grip.  When I was playing very occasional rounds I subconsciously started using an overlap grip.  Once I started playing more again a few years ago I went back to an interlock grip without thinking about it.  I believe it is because I can grip lighter with an interlock grip.

Putting grip is 10 fingers with both index fingers pointed straight down the grip.

Driver - Ping G410

Woods - Callaway Rogue 5 wood

Hybrid - Titleist TS2 21 degree

Irons - Taylormade P790 5-PW

Wedges - Taylormade MG3 50, 54, 58, SM9 60

Putter - Mizuno Black Carbon BC3

Interlock for me as I have smaller hands.  Tried overlock but it just feels like my hands come apart during the swing sequence.

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

• 2 weeks later...

I always was an interlock player. I didn't play for a few years and when I was regrooving my swing, decided I found it easier hitting overlap. I got my swing back in shape and decided I like the feel  and consistency (for me anyway) of the interlocking grip. It allows my right hand to get a little further down on the club and sit better in my fingers versus getting a little palmy with the overlap. 

Edited by Bgolfn333

a. Iron specs (Kbs Tour C-Taper 125 S+ Standard L/L) 

b. Driver specs (Titleost 913 D2 Oban Kiyoshi Black 05 Flex 45" )

c. Dexterity (Right)

d. Where You Live (El Paso, Tx)

e. Your handicap or average 18 hole score (1.8 GHIN) 

Neither, it's the baseball grip for me.  I have tried interlocking and overlapping, but not for more than a couple of swings.  It just feels too weird to me, and the baseball grip just feels natural.  

Edited by MomoMan83

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 10.5* Helium Shaft

Woods: :taylormade-small: R580 5W, 7W

Hybrids: Nicklaus Dual Point 4H

Irons: :cobra-small: F9 Speedback One Length 6i - PW

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 48*, 52*, 58*

Putter: :1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact 3

Bag: :Ogio: Grom 14-way stand bag

Ball: GolfJet Jet 4

Rangefinder: NX7 Pro or ShotScope V2

Interlock. Always has been and always will be. I've experimented briefly with other grips on the driving range and none of them worked very well.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour